• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

When believers don't obey God

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
There are several times in the Bible, when "followers" of God, didn't do what God told them to do.

Moses.. (more than once)

Num 20:7; and the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
Num 20:8; "Take the rod; and you and your brother Aaron assemble the congregation and speak to the rock before their eyes, that it may yield its water. You shall thus bring forth water for them out of the rock and let the congregation and their beasts drink."
Num 20:9; So Moses took the rod from before the LORD, just as He had commanded him;
Num 20:10; and Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly before the rock. And he said to them, "Listen now, you rebels; shall we bring forth water for you out of this rock?"
Num 20:11; Then Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock twice with his rod; and water came forth abundantly, and the congregation and their beasts drank.
Num 20:12; But the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, "Because you have not believed Me, to treat Me as holy in the sight of the sons of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land which I have given them."
Num 20:13; Those were the waters of Meribah, because the sons of Israel contended with the LORD, and He proved Himself holy among them.

God told Moses to simply "speak" to the rock, but Moses struck the rock twice with his rod.
God said, because you didn't believe me... I'm not going to let you into the promised land.

Jonah.

Jon 1:1; The word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai saying,
Jon 1:2; "Arise, go to Nineveh the great city and cry against it, for their wickedness has come up before Me."
Jon 1:3; But Jonah rose up to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD. So he went down to Joppa, found a ship which was going to Tarshish, paid the fare and went down into it to go with them to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.

David

2 Sam 12:9; 'Why have you despised the word of the LORD by doing evil in His sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword, have taken his wife to be your wife, and have killed him with the sword of the sons of Ammon.
2 Sam 12:13; Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD." And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has taken away your sin; you shall not die.
2 Sam 12:14; "However, because by this deed you have given occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born to you shall surely die."

Those are a few in the old testament... there are many more. What about the new testament?

Luke 6:46; "Why do you call Me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?

Ananias and Sapphira

Acts 5:1; But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property,
Acts 5:2; and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife's full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles' feet.
Acts 5:3; But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land?
Acts 5:4; "While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

Peter (more than once)

Gal 2:11; But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned.
Gal 2:12; For prior to the coming of certain men from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to withdraw and hold himself aloof, fearing the party of the circumcision.
Gal 2:13; The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy.
Gal 2:14; But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?

...===...===...===...===...===...===...===

Now of course we don't lose our salvation just because we disobey God (thank God for grace).
It's when we make a habit of living in disobedience that we need to worry.
But this thread isn't about OSAS. It's really about faith. Why do people with faith (saved believers)
sometimes disobey God? We have all done it. Even after we are saved we have still done it.
Even Paul did it.

Rom 7:15; For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
Rom 7:16; But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.
Rom 7:17; So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
Rom 7:18; For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.
Rom 7:19; For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.

Sometimes people ask how far can we go with this disobedience? I think that's the wrong question.
Why do we need to disobey at all? Some say it's because we don't have enough faith in God.
Yet all of the people in the scriptures above had faith in God. (there are dozens more examples also).
Some of them had even done miracles (through God) before they disobeyed.

Now it has been said, we would only obey God if we actually believed in Him. I suppose that's true.
(can we obey God by accident?) or at the very least unintentionally... It seems Pharaoh did.
But even so... can we DISOBEY God even though we DO believe in Him? We do it everytime we sin.

So who's fault is it we sin? God's fault, or ours? Do we sin because God "makes us sin", or is it simply
because it's human nature and we choose to.

Jas 1:12; Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
Jas 1:13; Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.
Jas 1:14; But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.
Jas 1:15; Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
Jas 1:16; Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.

1 Cor 10:8; Nor let us act immorally, as some of them did, and twenty-three thousand fell in one day.
1 Cor 10:9; Nor let us try the Lord, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the serpents.
1 Cor 10:10; Nor grumble, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer.
1 Cor 10:11; Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.
1 Cor 10:12; Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall.
1 Cor 10:13; No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
1 Cor 10:14; Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.

We don't have to sin. God doesn't "make us sin". Then why do we do it? Because we choose to.
Even Satan can't MAKE us sin. He can tempt us... but he can't make a believer sin.

Active
People need to take responisbility for their choices. We can make right or wrong choices. Not choosing to something is also a choice. Sometimes the choices we face are hard. But we must make them. Everyday.