• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

When an enemy falls

Staff Member
Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and let not your heart be glad when he stumbles, lest the LORD see it and be displeased, and turn away his anger from him. Proverbs 24:17-18 ESV

Sehadenfreude is a German word for feeling pleasure or joy at the troubles or failures of another person. While there may not be an exact English equivalent for this word, it's safe to say that the emotion itself is a common one to humanity.

Have you ever felt at least a small twinge of satisfaction or pleasure when someone you know--say a competitor in business or someone who hasn't dealt with you in the way you felt you deserved--fell on difficult times? It so, then you should know that God doesn't approve of that way of thinking.

Jesus instructed His followers to pray for their enemies and adversaries, not to wish ill on them--and certainly not to rejoice at their downfall (Matthew 5:44). When you walk in obedience to this command, effect you're saying, "God is bigger than any conflict I have with another person, and I'm going to trust God enough to respond to that person's suffering in a way that pleases Him."

Prayer: Lord, guard my heart from feeling pleasure or joy when my adversary suffers or fails. Instead, remind me to pray for that person at all times, knowing that You will deal with him as You see fit.

Staff Member
Greetings,

thank you Nick, for sharing this.

Quite possibly one of the most overlooked virtues that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

I have been guilty of the same one more than one occasion, Yet, the Lord in His loving mercy reveals to me exactly from whence He has saved me, by His grace and lovingkindness, not because i am a better person than any adversary i have ever encountered but by His grace alone. And if an enemy falls, what pleasure should i have in that? I too was once and enemy of God, so should i be happy if i would receive the same attitude from God Himself?

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath He reconciled In the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in His sight: If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for His body's sake, which is the church: Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to His saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to His working, which worketh in me mightily.

Colossians 1:21-29

Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: by Whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: and hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by Whom we have now received the atonement.

Romans 5:1-11

Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

According as His divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

2Peter 1:1-11

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
@Br. Bear
Amen!
Verses well used here!
Thank-you for taking the time for finding them and sharing them with me.

With the Love of Christ Jesus dear Brother.
Blessings to you and yours.
Nick
<><