• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What to expect in hell

What to expect in hell

• Annihilation - Instant destruction

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Universalism - Suffering for a while and then united with Jesus

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Eternal torment - Limited suffering, not such a bad place, mostly pet friendly

• Eternal torment - limited suffering, a horrible environment, no pets

• Eternal torment - torturous, excruciating pain and suffering, no pets

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If all in hell receive the same punishment it is a gross perversion of justice. I feel this is a ''duh'' fact.
You have completely misunderstood why people go to hell!

Could you explain on a reply to this post

1. Why do people go to hell?
2. Why do people go to heaven?

According to scripture.

Don,t send me somewhere else to another post - it gets confusing.

This is now the 5th time I am making this statement. Please meditate on it. Luke 16 is the only passage that explains the suffering of a spiritual body in fire.
I see you point - five times ago. You don't see mine - here it is - It is not the same suffering - now is it?

Lazarus was not in Hell with the Devil, trillions of Demons and billions of unsaved sinners - was he.

Forget the fire. The Devil is worse than fire.

Active
I see you point - five times ago. You don't see mine - here it is - It is not the same suffering - now is it?

You and I don't know if it is or is not the same suffering. You are typing like you know for a fact that it is not. That is adding to scripture what is not there.

God is a very good and merciful God. The evidence is certainly pointing in the opposite direction.

Lazarus was not in Hell with the Devil, trillions of Demons and billions of unsaved sinners - was he.

Lazarus was in Abrahams bosom. The rich man was in a hell with many demons and unrepentant sinners.

Forget the fire. The Devil is worse than fire.

What do you mean exactly? If you are implying the devil will do wicked things to those in hell, that is an assumption. Once more adding to scripture what is not there.

-----------------------

This topic is a delicate one. You need to be 100% aware of Rev 22:18-19. You and others are too brazen on this topic and do not care if you misrepresent God.

The are unrepentant sinners
2. They are repentant sinners
A repentant sinner is given the power to become a son/daughter of God

Jn1:12 But as many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name.

So a repentant sinner has a legal position in Gods eyes as being one of the family of God. So he is bound for Heaven to be with Jesus.

An unrepentant sinner has rejected or denied the prompting and conviction of the Holy Ghost that has called all who may come freely to Christ to receive forgiveness and atonement for their sins and to be accepted into the family of God.

Jesus refers to that person as a child of the devil. There are many scripture verses but here is one.

1 John 3:10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious.

Children of the devil go to hell because that is were their Father is. They have chosen. Gods punishment is equal to all as all have now identified legally as children of the devil. So we don't have a not so bad sinner and a very bad sinner and a very very bad sinner in hell. All are one. All are children of the devil. Equally guilty and deserved of the same equal punishment. Hell is a place of divine judgment on unrepentant sinners who are called children of the devil.

The Bible does not specifically say there are different levels of punishment in hell, But even if there are and whatever degrees of punishment hell contains, it is clear that hell is a place to be avoided at all costs even plucking your eye out if it keeps you from going to heaven.

Matthew 10:28. “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell”

MK 9:43 -48 “And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched’”

Active
A repentant sinner is given the power to become a son/daughter of God

Jn1:12 But as many as received him, he gave them power to be made the sons of God, to them that believe in his name.

So a repentant sinner has a legal position in Gods eyes as being one of the family of God. So he is bound for Heaven to be with Jesus.

An unrepentant sinner has rejected or denied the prompting and conviction of the Holy Ghost that has called all who may come freely to Christ to receive forgiveness and atonement for their sins and to be accepted into the family of God.

Jesus refers to that person as a child of the devil. There are many scripture verses but here is one.

1 John 3:10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are obvious.

Children of the devil go to hell because that is were their Father is. They have chosen. Gods punishment is equal to all as all have now identified legally as children of the devil. So we don't have a not so bad sinner and a very bad sinner and a very very bad sinner in hell. All are one. All are children of the devil. Equally guilty and deserved of the same equal punishment. Hell is a place of divine judgment on unrepentant sinners who are called children of the devil.

The Bible does not specifically say there are different levels of punishment in hell, But even if there are and whatever degrees of punishment hell contains, it is clear that hell is a place to be avoided at all costs even plucking your eye out if it keeps you from going to heaven.

Matthew 10:28. “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell”

MK 9:43 -48 “And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, ‘where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched’”

We are going in circles Eddie. I have given you two scriptures now that clearly state punishment is not equal to all. Every scripture that mentions God is just can also be used. I have previously found around 30 that I can post if you wish. Punishing all the same is unjust. This is a well know fact. I cannot believe you and so many here disagree with that fact. Would you think that any court that gave a backbiter the same punishment as a rapist be just? Of course not. You need to understand that your assumption incriminates God. Anyone who incriminates God needs to be terrified of judgement day as scripture clearly states He is just Job 34:12 and righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17. Meaning, you would be guilty of a deserving a capital punishment en-route to false teachers. You need to heed Rev 22:18-19.

As to your scripture selection. Yes we must fear God, he is God of all. He is able to create and end us. He can give us a heart attack. Strike us with lightning. Send us to an eternal prison if we are sold out to a love what is evil. We do not fear God because He is ''evil'' or will one day grossly pervert justice. Job 34 12 It is unthinkable that God would do wrong, that the Almighty would pervert justice.

The fire is not quenched because you will always need a fire as a punishment for unrepentant sinners. Sinners who are unrepentant will continue sinning as explained in my OP. If you envision people in fire for all eternity you are misreading the verse you quoted. It says 'there will be fire that is unquenched''. You are adding your assumption to that verse.

You need to understand that your assumption incriminates God.
Scripture clearly teaches that sin is more serious than we realise. I,m not talking about common sins but the ultimate sin - which is rebellion against God.

That is the original treasonous sin that Lucifer carried out.

Treason is a serious sin - dwarfing all others.

It is open revolt against God the greatest power in the universe. An actual insurrection against an infinitely worthy, just and righteous loving God is an infinitely heinous offense.

This is why, when human judgement is made - we sentence a man to one punishment for threatening to kill his neighbour and another man to a much more severe punishment for threatening to kill a nation’s elected leader.

That is a treasonous offense.

Therefore ALL people bound for Hell are due for the exact same punishment for a treasonous offense. For they have rebelled against God.

They are traitors. They have partaken of the same Sin that sent Satan to Hell. They are one with Satan and the demons. In Gods eyes and judgement.

Can you see that?

The fire is not quenched because you will always need a fire as a punishment for unrepentant sinners. Sinners who are unrepentant will continue sinning as explained in my OP. If you envision people in fire for all eternity you are misreading the verse you quoted. It says 'there will be fire that is unquenched''. You are adding your assumption to that verse.
Yep - people will continue sinning. Even those found in hell will do so. But hell punishment is also eternal.

If it was not there would be place created that those who have served their sentence can be sent to.

Scripture is silent on that.

But not silent on eternal punishment.

Rev 20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

So where does it say, in any biblical scripture, that humans in hell are not there for eternity?

It doesn't because all those in hell are equal - one and the same - bone of bone. All partipiants in the same sin. That of treason and rebellion.

Active
Yep - people will continue sinning. Even those found in hell will do so. But hell punishment is also eternal.
If it was not there would be place created that those who have served their sentence can be sent to.

Scripture is silent on that.

But not silent on eternal punishment.

Rev 20:10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

So where does it say, in any biblical scripture, that humans in hell are not there for eternity?

It doesn't because all those in hell are equal - one and the same - bone of bone. All partipiants in the same sin. That of treason and rebellion.

I take it you have not read my OP.

Eternal punishment / torment is 100% scriptural. It chiefly refers to eternal separation. No disagreement on that.

Fire relates specifically to a special punishment for sins committed. Which is always according to the sin committed. This fact is well supported in scripture.

Active
Scripture clearly teaches that sin is more serious than we realise. I,m not talking about common sins but the ultimate sin - which is rebellion against God.

That is the original treasonous sin that Lucifer carried out.

You are assuming too much. Rebellion to God is the same as any sin. God is righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17. Making any sin a rebellion to Him.

Lucifer and 1/3 of the angels gave in to a love of sin full measure. Committed mortal sin. We know that it is only when mankind gives in to a love of sin full measure that God's patience runs out with them. It would be idiocy to assume He treat the angels any different.

Isa 13:13-14 mentions how Lucifer wanted the throne. This kind of arrogance and power trip only happens when you have been able to reach a level of pride. I do not believe that happens in an instant but is rather a build up over time. Jesus says the devil has been sinning since the beginning. I interpret that to mean day one of his creation.

I believe a bit different to others in that I do believe there is substantial evidence pointing to the fact that there may be sin in heaven Sinning never ends.

Treason is a serious sin - dwarfing all others.

It is open revolt against God the greatest power in the universe. An actual insurrection against an infinitely worthy, just and righteous loving God is an infinitely heinous offense.

Yes and no. It depends what motivated the act of treason. God would judge the A-Z of every scenario.

What you are missing is the fact that God allowed the devil to sink to this depravity before removing him and yet to let him roam the earth without any form of harsh banishment outside of banishment for 6 000 years.

God is merciful, just and longsuffering. He is not eager to punish anyone.

This is why, when human judgement is made - we sentence a man to one punishment for threatening to kill his neighbour and another man to a much more severe punishment for threatening to kill a nation’s elected leader.

That is a treasonous offense.

I don't think God will be too harsh on the devil for that. It is more the sins that can come from such a hard heart.

Therefore ALL people bound for Hell are due for the exact same punishment for a treasonous offense. For they have rebelled against God.

Over complicating sin. God loves what is righteous, most don't. God doesn't force them to live with Him. So, He creates an eternal home for them. Simple as that.

They are traitors. They have partaken of the same Sin that sent Satan to Hell. They are one with Satan and the demons. In Gods eyes and judgement.

Can you see that?

I don't see that, no. There are so many levels of rebellion to God. Unrepentant back biters will go to hell as will unrepentant murderers. Paul explains this in 1 Cor 6:9-12.

Then, please note!!, Paul rebukes any Christian that cannot judge crimes and punishments better then the unsaved in 1 Cor 6:1-9. Now you want to imply, that God can't do that which Paul rebukes us for? Something the unsaved can get right?

IE Suggesting there are not levels of punishment according to your sin when God is the judge, jury and executioner is utterly madness. Evidence of 100% not knowing God.

As I state in my OP. Scripture says God is good Psalm 136:1, the definition of 'love' 1 John 4:7, righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17, light with no darkness in Him at all 1 John 1:5, Impartial Acts 10:34, a just judge who does not pervert justice Job 34:12, rewards each according to their deeds Rom 2:6.

You are assuming too much. Rebellion to God is the same as any sin. God is righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17. Making any sin a rebellion to Him.
Nope - it is certainly not

There are degrees of sin.

1 Samuel 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.

" God is righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17. Making any sin a rebellion to Him."

What. Telling a lie, cheating on taxes, committing adultery is NOT the same as rebellion on the scale of rejecting God all together.

I don't think God will be too harsh on the devil for that. It is more the sins that can come from such a hard heart.
What - his hard heart caused the rebellion - they are not separate from each other. Still the same outcome -

Treason against the most high God.

God banned him from heaven and prepared hell for final and everlasting punishment for Lucifer/Satan/devil/demons and humans who he foresaw would also

rebell and follow Satan.

You seem to be committing the mistake of taking sin flippantly and not seriously - even the worst sin that hurts God the most.

Do you think sin is not an serious issue with God?

Over complicating sin. God loves what is righteous, most don't. God doesn't force them to live with Him. So, He creates an eternal home for them. Simple as that.
An eternal home called Hell - A place that the Son of God died to keep people from going there. And that millions of preachers spent their whole life converting people so that they would not go there.

So in your view all hell is - "is an eternal home for them."

You are trolling - aren't you?

Hell is a place of punishment- not a home.

Now you want to imply, that God can't do that which Paul rebukes us for? Something the unsaved can get right?
God's ways are not our ways - nor does he need Paul,s permission.

Isa 55 : 8-9 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways.

To compare God to man - is a fallacy of the highest order.

rewards each according to their deeds Rom 2:6.
Lets look at that in context -

Rom 2: 5 -7" But because of your hard and unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of wrath, when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed. 6God “will repay each one according to his deeds.” 7To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life.… But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger."

There are ONLY two deeds mention here. Not hundreds to judge and arrange different sentencing/punishment on.

DEED 1. To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life.
Doing good is obeying Gods Salvation Plan to become a New Creature IN Christ. Only Christ is good and righteous and pure.

DEED 2 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.
rejecting the plan - is doing evil as you are found in your OWN righteousness.

Active
Nope - it is certainly not

There are degrees of sin.

1 Samuel 15:23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.

" God is righteous in all His ways Psalm 145:17. Making any sin a rebellion to Him."

What. Telling a lie, cheating on taxes, committing adultery is NOT the same as rebellion on the scale of rejecting God all together.

I agree 100% with degrees of sin. This is why I am stating differing punishments. Nice to see you agree.

The point I made is that any rebellion is sin as God is righteous. There are certainly levels of rebellion, correct!

Active
What - his hard heart caused the rebellion - they are not separate from each other. Still the same outcome -

Treason against the most high God.

God banned him from heaven and prepared hell for final and everlasting punishment for Lucifer/Satan/devil/demons and humans who he foresaw would also

rebell and follow Satan.

You seem to be committing the mistake of taking sin flippantly and not seriously - even the worst sin that hurts God the most.

Do you think sin is not an serious issue with God?

God is a righteous and just judge. Whatever his crime, he will receive fair punishment.

I personally don't think its such a big crime. I don't see it as treason. For me its more the fact that devil's wickedness reached a point where it lead him to want to sit on the throne. God was like 'ok, you giving me and others in heaven too many problems now, time to leave, we can chat later'. God saw that the devil's pride and love of rebellion / sin to God was full measure.

When you meditate for long on this topic (many do not!!!), you will grasp that the devil and the fallen angels sin grew and grew daily over a period of time until it reach full measure. It was not an overnight occurrence. As in serve God for 100 years, one-day decide to take His throne, kicked out.

Active
An eternal home called Hell - A place that the Son of God died to keep people from going there. And that millions of preachers spent their whole life converting people so that they would not go there.

So in your view all hell is - "is an eternal home for them."

You are trolling - aren't you?

Hell is a place of punishment- not a home.

You need to mediate on the topic a lot more. Many don't.

The theory is that if you want to be a good God (which God is) you will give your highly intelligent creation true free will. This means that you cannot / must not destroy those who don't want to serve you. It would leave a sour taste in the mouth of those who do want to serve you. IE Annihilationism debunked. So you make a home for those that don't want to serve you. Now since you are a righteous God, you know that those who don't want to serve you are unrighteous / evil people. As such you cannot put criminals with innocent people. You cannot put children with evil people. You cannot put pets with evil people. You cannot give them a visa to travel to wherever they want. You are confined to only on option, prison. It is the only home a criminal who does not ever want to truly repent and make right their wrongs can receive. It is a literal inevitability. This is why God does not beat around the bush in scripture. He says ''guys, I am sending you to a prison''. Now this prison is a home because they will live there for all eternity. In this instance, 'punishment' needs to be dissected from prison as prison is an inevitable home. Punishment is something that takes place within a prison when someone needs to pay for their crimes. You can call hell a place of punishment and a home. Both are correct statements. Please reread my OP.

Active
God's ways are not our ways - nor does he need Paul,s permission.

Isa 55 : 8-9 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways.

To compare God to man - is a fallacy of the highest order.

Now you are you trolling? Scripture says God is just and that it is unthinkable that he would pervert justice Job 34:12.

There is no justice in dishing out the same punishment for all. It would be a perversion of justice.

Prove to me it is not.

--------------------------------

See, the majority here agree with you, just look at the poll. But I will argue that you and the majority here need to meditate more on the topic and grasp the fact that you are misrepresenting God and need to be terrified of a judgement day before Him.

You are trying to undo many scriptures from prophets that defined God with their language, translated into English as just Job 34:12, righteous Psalm 145:17, good Psalm 136:1, loving 1 Pet 4:8 and light with no darkness in Him 1 John 1:5 with one scripture in Isa 55? That is the definition of false teaching. If I were you, I would be absolutely terrified of meeting God one-day after such a gross misrepresentation. 'God's ways are not our way's' is a separate topic.

All the votes on the last option in my poll, tell the lost that God loves and died for, that He sit a top a list of the most evil beings to ever live. A Christian cannot fail harder at their one job of being an ambassador of God 2 Cor 5:20.