• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What motivates your actions?

GAL 5:16 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17 For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

GAL 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

GAL 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

I have just seen a supposed Christian take another Christian (and supposed friend) through a set of posts where they played 'know it all' on a non-christian topic and made their friend look like a moron.

Great! For personal pride this person thought it was OK to just belittle her friend like that.

What is wrong with Christians today. What motives them to do this kind of thing?????

I am seeing this more and more. Not heated debates on Theology but generally Christians treating other Christians and their supposed friends like dirt. I know Non-Christians with more curtesy and consideration of their friends because they at least show a little respect.

What happened to Loving one another as Christ Loves us?

JN 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

I'm not saying all Christians are doing this but I am seeing this happen more and more on Forums. Selfish, self-centered behaviour and at times Childish (if you believe their profiles from supposed mature adults).

Just having a rant because I stepped in to correct this Christian and said basically they were thoughtless and being unkind. To which I got a reply "if someone is stupid they need correcting and who better than some one who is smart like me".

I really have to wonder as to what teaching these supposed Christians are getting today??? (example of what I think these people must have been taught; "Jesus forgives all bad behaviour so go ahead and just act like you want and then repent and you will be forgiven???").

If these people truly have repented and become Saved Believers wouldn't they want to not be like the world and change to be like Jesus? Surely they should understand a Christian should be desiring to cultivate & grow the Fruits of the Spirit as listed above?

The mind boggles at this kind of behaviour amongst supposed Christians. I'm not judging their salvation (I don't know and it's not my job) but they are not giving me much outside indication their hearts have been changed and they are now living their lives for Jesus.

Shaking my head and off to pray about it. Maybe the Lord can sort them out.

Sorry just needed to vent.

I know in debates of God's Word we get heated & at times are not on our best behaviour. This was just social chit-chat. No reason to do go on like that socially.

Nice vent !
You are right,we should debate the topic and not the person.Insults are unnecessary and unproductive.

Nice vent !
You are right,we should debate the topic and not the person.Insults are unnecessary and unproductive.

Thanks and Yes I agree.

We do from time to time lose it and I can understand that. I know we say things in haste or without thought and that is forgivable. It is when people go overboard & you know they are doing it on purpose that I kind of wonder about what they think being a Christian is all about.

I remember the saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Sometimes even if someone needs correcting, I try to remind myself to pray. I am not the one to correct someone. I dislike confrontation, but I will do it if I have to and at times it's hard to know when to keep silent.

People lash out at people for whatever reason and it is like stepping on a rattlesnake.

I believe people take the don't condemn me thing too far. So, then when we go to them and try to show them that they are sinning, they throw scripture in our face.

*shakes head* My pastor said once that some Christians leave a huge pile of wounded and dead bodies behind them. (Not literally...) They do this by what you described. They use their words to berate people and tear them down.

It is truly abominable. Christians wound with their words and gossip. Not all, of course. There are those who don't do this.

No wonder that non-Christians don't want to be Christians. They see what some Christians do and they aren't about to 'join up.' Who would want to? At any given moment someone could rip your heart out and stomp on it.

As you can see, I have dealt with such Christians. They speak praises and curses with the same tongue. :-S

Oh Lord...have mercy!

I remember the saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Sometimes even if someone needs correcting, I try to remind myself to pray. I am not the one to correct someone. I dislike confrontation, but I will do it if I have to and at times it's hard to know when to keep silent.

People lash out at people for whatever reason and it is like stepping on a rattlesnake.

I believe people take the don't condemn me thing too far. So, then when we go to them and try to show them that they are sinning, they throw scripture in our face.

*shakes head* My pastor said once that some Christians leave a huge pile of wounded and dead bodies behind them. (Not literally...) They do this by what you described. They use their words to berate people and tear them down.

It is truly abominable. Christians wound with their words and gossip. Not all, of course. There are those who don't do this.

No wonder that non-Christians don't want to be Christians. They see what some Christians do and they aren't about to 'join up.' Who would want to? At any given moment someone could rip your heart out and stomp on it.

As you can see, I have dealt with such Christians. They speak praises and curses with the same tongue. :-S

Oh Lord...have mercy!

It is not the Correction I had the problem with but the manner in which they did it.

I have been a trainer (& I have done some teaching) for years. There is a CONSTRUCTIVE & DESTRUCTIVE way to correct a person or child you are teaching or training. Your motivation should be to BUILD UP your brother and sister in Christ not Belitte them or Humiliate them.

RO 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
MT 12:33 "Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."
PR 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
1PE 3:8 Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. 9 Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. 10 For,

"Whoever would love life
and see good days
must keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from deceitful speech.

1PE 3:11 He must turn from evil and do good;
he must seek peace and pursue it.
1TI 3:11 In the same way, their wives are to be women worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.
TIT 2:3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.

TIT 2:6 Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. 7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness 8 and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.

I think these verses are clear that we are not free to just mouth off at each other in just anyway we feel like. That we are to guard our mouths and tongues and to address our brothers and sisters (and non-Christians) with self-controlled tempered speech. You can't just correct or teach any way you like either. You are to be mindful of how you do it so that it is respectful to the person you are speaking to.

As I said Correction is fine but you are expected to do it in a way that glorifies God and is appropriate according to God's ways not the way the World thinks it is OK to treat others.

Last edited:
I have just seen a supposed Christian take another Christian (and supposed friend) through a set of posts where they played 'know it all' on a non-christian topic and made their friend look like a moron.

Did this happen here @ TJ?

Did this happen here @ TJ?

No I meant to add it was another forum. The mods there are a bit slack and do let things go the extreme (at times) between members before they do something about it.

First of all I don't think mods should have to be pulling up Christians on a Christian forums because we should have enough maturity in Christ to be better behaved and treat others with respect and Godly love. That was my point. Although I must admit I have seen similar things happen at Christian conventions and conferences lately. Even a big prayer meeting organised for the City where I live a number of churches got together at a venue to pray.

I've been a Christian now 30 years and lately I have noticed that there has been an Obvious increase in the way Christians treat each other poorly these days, a real lack of respect for a fellow Believer.

Also I am an older person and I grew up when you were taught manners. Could it be the lack of manners? If you were not behaving properly as a kid in my days any adult had the ability to pull you up. Manners in kids were expected in my day, it was pretty strict in schools. Good grief if you said 'ay' when you didn't understand something in class, the teacher would reply, 'only horses eat hay', please reply 'I didn't understand' or something like that. I grew up to be a bit more disciplined in my words and actions towards others than I see kids of today. You had to be more patient and thought through your answers because the wrong ones were given a quick straightening out in certain company and could lead to total humiliation.

Not anymore and I am afraid I think our young ones (Christians) may not be aware of this. I know my own children now in their late twenties/early thirties have been complaining to my husband and I last dinner we had together, how rude their co-workers are, who are the same age or younger. I can imagine that some Christians of the same age may be a bit oblivious of their own lack of manners.

Last edited: