• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What Makes This Difficult To Understand?

Active
What makes these verses so hard to agree with and understand? Why are they ignored and not applied?

Matthew 7:17
Even so every good tree brings forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree brings forth evil fruit.
Matthew 7:18
A good tree "cannot" bring forth evil fruit, "neither" can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Loyal
Neither tree can bring forth any fruit on it's own. It has to be connected to a source.
Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. We get our "nourishment" from the source. Our source of life is Jesus.

It is the tree itself that determines if it's fruit is "good" or "bad". Not the person watering and fertilizing the tree.

In some cases, the tree is being watered and fertilized, and the gardener is expecting to find fruit on a specific tree,
but the tree refuses to bear any fruit at all. ( Luke 13:6-9; ). These trees get cut down and thrown into the fire.
(along with the "bad" trees). We are give a seed, the seed takes time to grow. It hardly ever bears it's full potentil
(good or bad) instantly. Most of the time people don't know how they are going to live their life over the next 20, 30 or 40 years.
We say we know, we think we know. We make promises to God and ourselves... but we rarely keep them.
We are given time to see what our seeds produce.

Luke 13:6; And He began telling this parable: "A man had a fig tree which had been planted in his vineyard; and he came looking for fruit on it and did not find any.
Luke 13:7; "And he said to the vineyard-keeper, 'Behold, for three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?'
Luke 13:8; "And he answered and said to him, 'Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in fertilizer;
Luke 13:9; and if it bears fruit next year, fine; but if not, cut it down.'"

Loyal
Also (we've talked about this before) but here we go again...

Gal 5:18; But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.
Gal 5:19; Now the fruit of the flesh is evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,
Gal 5:20; idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,
Gal 5:21; envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. It's all fine and good for us to say we are "good" trees. But the proof is in the pudding. In this case, the "proof" (evidence)
of what kind of fruit you bear is easily shown.

If you are living in sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry... etc... even outbursts of anger, envying, drinking, drunkenness,
guess what kind of fruit you are bearing. It isn't the fruit of the Spirit. There are many people who say they are Christians but....

Tit 1:16; They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed.