• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply scroll all the way down to the footer and click on the style chooser.

Thank you.

What is the difference between faith and living faith?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Top Poster Of Month
I myself would define faith as believing or acknowledging. An example would be Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

I myself would define living faith as the actions of our believing or acknowledging. An example would be Heb 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.

Mainly curious of thoughts, feedback, opinions, etc.

Loyal Member
When I think of faith Heb 12:2 is the first verse that comes to my mind.

Heb 12:2 Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

We need the faith of which Jesus is the founder and then for Him to perfect it. The questions arise as to 1. what faith is He the founder of. 2. How does He perfect it and 3. When is it perfect.

So, just to your OP, personally I would separate between. 1. Faith, 2. Christian faith and 3. Perfect Christian faith.

Last edited:
Loyal Member
I myself would define faith as believing or acknowledging. An example would be Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
I wouldn't call that faith according to scripture. Heb 11:1 speaks of a 'hope'. In your context they would need to hope God exists. Knowing God exists is an absolute to the fallen angels. It is not a faith issue for them. It should not be a faith issue for us. Hence the apparent sarcasm from the writer in ''well done''. It should not take any faith to believe a God exists. A belief in this God being Jesus however, yes, that takes faith. But how much faith and do we ever go beyond the basic definition of faith on that? Is Jesus always a substance hoped for or is He a substance known. When does our faith become 'perfect faith'.

I myself would define living faith as the actions of our believing or acknowledging. An example would be Heb 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
This is a perfect example of the faith we should have. But we truly do need to meditate on this for a while. What faith did Abraham have? Was it 1. faith that there is a God and He may have told him to sacrifice his son. So, just to be safe, he does so. Or 2. Abraham had full confidence (no faith needed) in the fact that God spoke to Him and asked him to sacrifice his son. Abraham needed faith in God being good. In God having one hell of a good reason for asking something so terrible of him. Abraham did have this faith in God. Abraham believed in God being good. Abraham had faith ''IN'' God. There was a real expectation of God to turn the clearly terrible incident into a very positive / holy / righteous / good outcome. Which, God did. Now this story is recorded for us to easily / easier / better grasp God as good so that we will need even less faith then Abraham needed.

Loyal Member
So, just to your OP, personally I would separate between. 1. Faith, 2. Christian faith and 3. Perfect Christian faith.
1. Faith is a word like belief. It has to be in something. Nobody can (should) say ''have faith''. Faith can be good or bad. Constructive or a waste of time. Making statements by some to have 'more faith', without qualifying exactly as to what that 'more' faith should be in, possibly very heretical statements.

2. Christian faith is the faith of which Jesus is the founder. Faith in Him. We grow in this faith ''in'' Jesus. As Heb 12:2 says, He is perfecting this in us. He is not perfecting a faith that He is God, in us. Important to understand that difference.

3. Perfect Christian faith. A concept I have been meditating on a lot of late. I believe only a true Christian can pray a prayer of perfect faith. The ability to pray a prayer with ''all the boxes'' ticked. Absolute faith that God exists, ticked. Absolute faith that Jesus is God, ticked. Absolute faith that God is good, ticked. Absolute faith that God is impartial and will equally / impartially respond to any Christians prayer request, ticked. A real expectation of answered prayer. A real expectation of God explaining results of prayer requests. Can we pray like this? Do we live in a relationship with God like this?

A Christian should be in a state of perfect faith in scripture, growing daily in faith in Jesus.

Last edited:
Top Poster Of Month
@KingJ
Thank you for your feedback. I had honestly forgotten about Hebrews 11:1
Now I looked up the definition of hope and i noticed expectation to be a synonym. " Synonyms are words that are exactly the same or have the same meaning"
Next I looked up Hebrews 11:1 on biblehub just to see the various translations of it "with partiality towards KJV"
To my surprise no matter what translation I read; they seemed to be defining "expectation"
Substance of things hoped for can be equated to Expectations
Expectation also encompasses the evidence of things not seen in my opinion.
Essentially Faith is Hebrews 11:1 and Hebrews 11:1 seems to be the definition of Expectation.

In that case Christ being the Author and Finisher of our Faith means that Christ is the Author and Finisher of our Ideal or Optimum Expectations
So this would make my definition of faith to be our expectations and living faith to be the actions of our expectations.
Lastly Living Faith and Perfect Faith are equated as the same.
Does this all make sense to you?