• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What is the best bible translation to read?

What is do you think is the best version of the bible to read. Does it make a difference? I shared some insight into this in a short 3.5-minute video. Let me know what you think is there a right or wrong one and why?

Loyal
I think it a bit arrogant to call yourself the "last prophet standing". That being said, some people are less able to learn new languages, like greek, and hebrew, and even more so, get into the depth to not misunderstand anything. I use the NASB, which when made used the texts found in the dead sea scrolls which are the oldest known copies to make them as accurate as possible. I depend on others in times past to produce a good and accurate bible, but.... all you need is a good bible, not the perfect bible, because if you have the Holy Spirit, it helps you to understand. Without it, the most perfect bible would do little to the lost who dont trust in the movement of the Holy Spirit inside them to point the truth out to them.

Thanks Brad for commenting. Your comment stirred a conversation between my wife and myself when you expressed the name of my channel or what I call myself "last prophet standing" arrogant. I can assure you it wasn't meant to be so. And because of the conversation I had with my wife it will make me think about perhaps changing it. The "last" stands for end or endtime, "prophet" stands for what I believe God called me as and "standing" here to me is the meaning of being steadfast. The name itself means little to me as the work you do is what God looks at. The channel was called "koinonia" before this. But this name I thought would poke to maybe get some that wouldn't take time to listen to listen.

Loyal
If you wish the term prophet in the title, thats fine, if you are one. But to assume you are the 'last one" is arrogant IMO. If you meant it in a different way, I would change it, because thats how it comes to many readers, and less likely to read it thinking you too arrogant to have true wisdom or a msg from God. Prophets are humble people who usually dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but want to serve the Lord in ways most people dont want to.

Active
What is do you think is the best version of the bible to read. Does it make a difference? I shared some insight into this in a short 3.5-minute video. Let me know what you think is there a right or wrong one and why?

The BEST Translation of the Bible will ALWAYS be - the one you'll actually READ. For me it's the KJV, since I've used it now for over 70 years.

If you wish the term prophet in the title, thats fine, if you are one. But to assume you are the 'last one" is arrogant IMO. If you meant it in a different way, I would change it, because thats how it comes to many readers, and less likely to read it thinking you too arrogant to have true wisdom or a msg from God. Prophets are humble people who usually dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but want to serve the Lord in ways most people dont want to.
I hear your words Brad, As christian we should be humble or in simple words know our place. I am still contemplating what you said, because one never knows who God may use to speak to us. The channel name was meant to be a catching name. And more so speaking to a condition not a position, but I can see how that could be view otherwise and even prayed about it. I did change my header on the channel page. Because with my ugly mug next to the title in the channel header it is to much and could imply that I truly am the last prophet as I replied in my last comment it wasn't my intention. And I have always agreed with what else I hear you saying, that it is not what you call yourself but the work that need to be done and that you are doing through following Jesus. If you listen to my other videos I have never mentioned about being a prophet nor found it necessary to do so.
The other reason I grab that name is the muslims refer to Muhammad as the last prophet so it was also meant to be a poke to also get someone to listen who might not. I appreciate your thoughts and will give changing the name some more consideration, but it is not like my number of views will change dramatically unless I stick a picture of my wife in a bikini on different kind of animals in the video thumbnails. I do not think there are a great number of seekers to know God like yourself, or like me looking for Him on youtube, unfortunately.
Mark

Loyal
A lot of "christians" do not understand the depths of the "beginning of this Letter to The Hebrew people concerning a new covenant, how the order has become different, And how in times pass how God spoke to His People in various ways by Old testament prophets. But Now There is a new way. Now!

(Heb. 1).
"God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom He also made the world."
American Standard Version
"And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my Son, my chosen: hear ye him."

Jesus is more than a "prophet". Much more. And He does not need help! And God when He wants a message delivered to His people in these last days. A Child of GOD, have only one and one "Mediator"!
New American Standard Bible
"For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,"

A new Testament "prophet" is not like a "OT prophet". They are as different as night and day. And it is not to be explain. For the "Word of GOD" in the New testament has revealed this truth.

Thanks for everyone comments so far. Myself, I have read the KJV, NIV, NKJ, NLT, and now HCSB each for a number of years and in a year I read through the bible a least 2 times and some parts of it 3 times year and when I want to know more a may look up a word or content myself in hebrew or greek or in multiple other versions using online searches.
My hopes is people read the word. I don't know if you think like I do? but I think your hungry to know the Lord is evident in your desire to read the scriptures.
I will share something you may find interesting. My wife grew up in africa and didn't really have the bible herself as one of the main sources of knowing God. She would rely on preachers that would come and share the word. But yet she knows God as intimately as do. It has been very evident in our marriage. Even though her lack of the knowledge of the word (though she reads now) has been my joy when I share with her things from the word and how she finds it so interesting when she see truths revealed in the scriptures she already lives or knows found explained.
Her main with interacting in her relationship with God has been primarily through prayer and worship. And God shows her what to do. It has been interesting to me as well how the love of God and her desire to live pleasing before Him is just as strong as my desire to do the same. Like I said, it shows up in our marriage. It makes you realize how blessed we are to have the scriptures, but how much more blessed to have the Holy Spirit. And how the early Christians managed without all our different printed and now online versions.