• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit?

Administrator
Staff Member
Question: "What is the baptism of the Holy Spirit?"

Answer: The baptism of the Holy Spirit may be defined as that work whereby the Spirit of God places the believer into union with Christ and into union with other believers in the Body of Christ at the moment of salvation. 1 Corinthians 12:12-13 and Romans 6:1-4 are the central passages in the Bible where we find this doctrine. 1 Corinthians 12:13 states, "For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit."

Romans 6:1-4
states, "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life." Even though Romans 6 does not mention specifically the Spirit of God, it does describe believers positionally before God and 1 Corinthians 12 tells us how that happens.

Three facts are necessary to look into that helps solidify our understanding of Spirit baptism. First, 1 Corinthians 12:13 clearly states that all have been baptized just as all have made to drink (the indwelling of the Spirit). Secondly, nowhere in Scripture does it exhort believers to be baptized with / in / by the Spirit. This indicates that all believers have experienced this ministry. Lastly, Ephesians 4:5 seems to refer to Spirit baptism. If this is the case, Spirit baptism is the reality of every believer, just as “one faith” and “one Father” are.

In conclusion, the baptism of the Holy Spirit does two things, (1) it joins us to the Body of Christ, and (2) it actualizes our co-crucifixion with Christ. Being in His body means we are risen with Him to newness of life (Romans 6:4). We should then exercise our spiritual gifts to keep that body functioning properly as stated in the context of 1 Corinthians 12:13. Experiencing the one Spirit baptism serves as the basis for keeping the unity of the church, as in the context of Ephesians 4:5. Being associated with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection through Spirit baptism establishes the basis for realizing our separation from the power of indwelling sin and our walk in newness of life (Romans 6:1-10, Colossians 2:12).

Article from: gotquestions.org

I cannot agree with this article, it is confusing two seperate experiences. The first experience is the new birth where the Holy Spirit baptizes the repenter into Chirst and the second experience is where Jesus baptizes the born-again believer into the Holy Spirit.
Acts 8:12-17
12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 15 who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 16 (for as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

Administrator
Staff Member
Good point brother. I believe the line points that out (both experiences that is)

"In conclusion, the baptism of the Holy Spirit does two things, (1) it joins us to the Body of Christ, and (2) it actualizes our co-crucifixion with Christ."

Its worded differently than what you said, but I believe its the same explanation that there are two experiences with the Holy Spirit.

The way you said it was more detailed in your wording, I agree with you. You can email them your suggestion to [email protected] and mention the article by the title I gave you.

God bless brother, thanks for pointing it out

Hi jiggyfly,

Very well put brother, I love to see things put simply and kept crystal clear.

Blessings,

Tonyb

It is part of a whole processs and in fully understanding the Baptism of the Holy Spirit it will help the Christian to understand/receive/experience and believe; if we understand the whole 'process' biblically;

1. Who is the Holy Spirit?
2. The Holy Spirit before Pentecost - Old Testament
3. The Holy Spirit before Pentecost - New Testament (yes, before!)
4. The Holy Spirit in Jesus' Teachings
5. The Holy Spirit in the Believer
6. The Baptism in the Holy Spirit
7. Receiving the Holy Spirit
8. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
9. The Holy Spirit in the Church of Christ
10.The Holy Spirit and the Future i.e., the Holy Spirit as a Pledge, a Seal and as Firstfruits.

To understand and experience/receive just one part then we fail to see the big picture and in doing so remain very limited/ineffective as individual Christians and as a Church.

However, Baptism in The Holy Spirit (distict from Regeneration) has a distict purpose.

Both at the end of his Gospel (Luke 24:49) and at the beginnings of Acts (also by Luke) 1:4-8, Luke makes it clear that to recieve the Father's promise, was to be 'clothed' with power from on high. It would enable the Christian in witnessing to the ends of the earth. It was the gateway to the supnatural gifts of the Holy Spirit which both confirmed the gospel message as it was preached (Mark 16:15ff, Hebrews 2:4) and brought edification to the church (1 Corinthinians 12:7, 13) Thus the purpose of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit as described in these passages is totally distinct from the work of the Holy Spirit in regeneration. At regeneration we are 'born' into God's family and become His sons (or daughters). At Baptism in the Holy Spirit we are equiped for His Service. The fact that these two distinct operations may (or may not) happen similtanously or very close together (as appears to have been the case Cornelius) does not mean that they should be identical.

The Baptism in the Holy Spirit may also be distinguished from regeneration in that it is recieved in a different way. However, as the question is 'What is.." I will resist going further by answering a question which has not been asked, i.e., How do I receive Baptism in the Holy Spirit?

Blessing in Jesus Name
David

Last edited:

Answer: The baptism of the Holy Spirit may be defined as that work whereby the Spirit of God places the believer into union with Christ and into union with other believers in the Body of Christ at the moment of salvation. 1 Corinthians 12:12-13 and Romans 6:1-4 are the central passages in the Bible where we find this doctrine. 1 Corinthians 12:13 states, "For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit."

I agree. :ip:

I must have missed something, about the question "How do I receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit?" Was it answered? It's been a long day and this is a very serious subject. I've come to realize in the last year that I know so little about the Holy Spirit. This valley has been a long one and it ain't over yet, if you know what I mean.
Also wanted to say to jiggyfly, that you pointed out some excellent truths on the subject. Thanks!

Last edited:

KJV

The best book I have read on the subject is called "The Power of Pentecost, or The Fullness of The Spirit", by John R Rice. He wrote various other stuff on the subject and when I get the book handy I will summarize his points for you.

Another good book is called "Deeper Experiences of Famous Christians" by J Gilchrist Lawson; which summarizes the experiences with the Holy Spirit of famous Christians throughout church history. Also R A Torrey's "How to obtain Fullness of Power".

Basically, because it is an inward matter of the heart there is no standardized outer form to go through (e.g. come to the front and get prayed for). It is not a one size fits all thing.

It involves complete surrender to God's will for your life and obediance to the light you have and it is recieved by faith.

Hi, @Chad
About the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Does everyone receive the baptism of the Holy spirit who are Catholics, Anglican , Baptism church?
The Taoism believer think that the people still waiting for the return of Jesus to baptise us with holy Spirit and fire. Isn't Jesus already appeared on the Pentacost Day to the apostles and breath the Holy Spirit to them? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Active
It is basically very simple:
1. You live in this physical world and are a sinner.
2. Whether via water or not you repent and become a believer
3. Whether they know it or not, all believers acquire the Spirit of God upon belief.
4. No matter what term you use, it all means the same. When you die your physical death and, because you now posses the Holy Spirit in you, you go to heaven and are in the presence of God; if you don't posses the Holy Spirit, you are a nonbeliever and go to Hell or to a place totally absent of God.
5. This of course, is all under the direction of God , which he considers a gift and did before the foundation of the world.

Active
I must have missed something, about the question "How do I receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit?" Was it answered? It's been a long day and this is a very serious subject.
Shouldn't you be seeking this kind of information from a competent source rather than armchair theologians?

If you sincerely consider this matter to be a serious subject whereby your afterlife future may be in grave danger; then you really ought to speak with a minister or a pastor who knows what they're talking about instead of consulting hacks. Just saying.
_