• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What is sin?

Loyal
we talk a lot about sin but what is sin?

@B-A-C yesterday made a great post about being angry is not a sin, which really got me thinking and guessing my original thought that yes being angry was a sin. so I would like to start with, is being angry a sin??

It is clear in the bible Jesus and God both got angry many times so we know that they are sinless, but does that mean getting angry can not be a sin??

My thoughts are yes you can still sin just by being angry at someone, no God and Jesus did not sin by being angry at someone.

Please let me explain. when God and Jesus became angry it was for just reason. So if we have just cause like God and Jesus did being angry at someone is not a sin, HOWEVER if we do not have just cause to get angry at someone it is a sin IMO

so the bible tells us (now a lot of translations leave out the key words "with out a cause")

Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

So if you are getting angry at someone for selfish reasons because you did not get your own way, and not righteous reasons being angry at someone is a sin.

James 1:20
For the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

Ephesians 4:26-27
Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil.

Psalm 37:8
Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil.

so I think we must be very careful is saying being angry is not a sin because God and Jesus got angry, being angry for the wrong reasons is a sin IMO and we are no where near as righteous as God and Jesus who no doubt when get angry is is for just cause

Loyal
Good points all. One thing both of you have said here, that I really agree with is that sometimes circumstances are
what makes something a sin.

For example: Sex isn't a sin.... if you are married to someone of the opposite sex.
Sex under just about any other circumstances is a sin.

I think this is a good step in beginning to understand sin.

Loyal
Another point of confusion, I hope this will help with.

Temptation is not sin.

Matt 4:1; Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
Mark 1:13; And He was in the wilderness forty days being tempted by Satan; and He was with the wild beasts, and the angels were ministering to Him.
Luke 4:2; for forty days, being tempted by the devil. And He ate nothing during those days, and when they had ended, He became hungry.

Some people say... Satan was only "trying" to tempt Jesus. But the Bible goes a little further and says...

Heb 2:18; For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted.

Heb 4:15; For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

It says because Jesus was tempted, He can come to the aid of those who are being tempted. If Jesus had never been tempted, He
would have to say "sorry... never been there... I can't help you with that". The other things is Jesus is our example here.
Jesus didn't give in to temptation.

If He would have bowed down to Satan, that definitely would have been sin.

1 Cor 10:13; No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

He provides "the way of escape". Escape from the sin? No the temptation before the sin... so that you don't have to sin.

Jas 1:12; Blessed is a man who perseveres under temptation; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
Jas 1:13; Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.
Jas 1:14; But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.
Jas 1:15; Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.

Read verses 14 and 15 again slowly. Being tempted isn't problem.... it's being "carried away" by that temptation.
Now we've let temptation turn into lust.

Satan gave us a thought.... it could be anything. A sexual thought, a prideful thought, a thought about stealing something.
A thought about hating someone. A thought about lying to someone.... it could be anything.

This initial thought isn't a sin in itself. But then you start to be "carried away" by it. You start to entertain this thought.
Now it turns into lust. Now you are lusting for this person. You are lusting for this material thing (maybe money).
You are lusting for power and recognition. You are lusting for sex. It's no longer a quick thought. Now you are really
putting effort into this idea. Now it is turning into sin.

Then finally you act on it. You lie to someone, you steal something. You have sex with someone you shouldn't (even if
it's only in your mind). You call someone stupid. There are a lot of ways to sin.

It seems many men have problems with sexual thoughts. I can relate. I used to dwell in these thoughts all the time.
Literally all day every day. I think I had sex with every pretty actress in hollywood several times (only in my mind).
But these were never 1 second or 2 second thoughts. I revelled in them for minutes, hours... as long as I could.
I looked at pictures on the internet, I took the time to sit down and search for them and specifically pick out the ones I liked.
I used to buy magazines. I had to take the time to drive or walk to the store. Then I had wait in line, so I could spend my
money on these things. Why? I was literally a slave to sexual sin.

One day I had enough. I was tired of being ran over by Satan. One day I said no. No more. Then it was two days, and three days...
and before I knew it a whole week went by. Then I messed up again. But I got up again and went another week, then two weeks.
Before I knew it, a month went by. I messed up again. I got back up again... but I was getting stronger. The old habits no longer
had control over me. Once we get in the habit of not doing these things, we don't have to do these sins. Now it has been years and years, and I don't miss it.

Sin is never a 1 or 2 second thought. Sin when you dwell on that thought, entertain it and get "carried away" by it.
Temptation is not sin. If it was... Jesus sinned.

Loyal
Most excellent insight @B-A-C thanks you very much for taking the time to post that it has shed some light where needed, really glad you told me to read this one twice

Jas 1:15; Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.

Loyal
Even if you feel you have a just cause to be angry, we must still be sure to not allow the anger turn into or lead us into sin.

Blessings to you

Loyal
Something else I was shown a long time ago.

Sin is anything we know God said not to do.

Simple example: for most chocolate is not a sin, however if God told a particular person to not eat chocolate ever again, then it becomes a sin for that particular person if they eat chocolate.

It actually is a True story. I heard a person give this testimony.

Loyal
Even if you feel you have a just cause to be angry, we must still be sure to not allow the anger turn into or lead us into sin.

Blessings to you

yeap because we can be blind at times and what we think may be just cause might just be pride, or something selfish, like if someone cuts you off driving is that really that big of deal and a righteous reason to get mad I do not think so.

Active
More like...what you do wtih the emotion can be a sin.
Think of a wicked person angered by good Christians. Their anger is triggered by their hatred of what is good. Sin starts in the heart.

James 1:15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Loyal
Sin is anything and everything that falls short of God's goodness.

Anything that is not entirely godly and praiseworthy. My every thought and action is somehow tainted by sin.

That's not to be complacent or defeatist about our failings, weaknesses or deliberate faults. It's to be realistic and dependent on God's faithfulness and grace.

Loyal
My every thought and action is somehow tainted by sin.

Seriously? Every single one? You never walk in the Spirit? You are never empowered by the Spirit?
Where is your victory?

Rom 8:37; But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.

Loyal
Think of a wicked person angered by good Christians. Their anger is triggered by their hatred of what is good. Sin starts in the heart.
Precisely... in the heart... and that is where God is looking.

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov 21:2

Loyal
Matt 15:18; "But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.

The things we say show what is in our hearts.

Luke 6:45; "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

It's all fine and good to say I'm a good person, yeah I'm living in sin. I will always sin, but I have a good heart and God only looks at the heart.

If you speaking that that you are OK with sin, and you believe God is OK with sin... that IS revealing your heart.
..and your right, God is looking at your heart.

Jer 17:9; "The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?

These people continue living in sin... but they are deceived... they think they have a good heart.

Loyal
1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.