• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What is sin to a believer?

Active
@Life,
“David also speaks of the blessing of the one to whom God counts righteousness apart from works: ‘Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.’”
- Romans 4:6–8
Scripture is verbally inspired, which among other things means that we must pay attention to the words of the Bible themselves and what they mean in context. We saw this yesterday in our study of the Greek preposition eis that the ESV translates with the English word as in Romans 4:3, 5. Another key term in Romans 4:3–8 is logizomai, which the ESV translates as count. Other English translations render logizomai with impute or reckon.
We are going into detail about this Greek term logizomai because it is key to understanding what our Creator does in justification. The word logizomai is a bookkeeping term that means “to put on one’s record” or “to credit to one’s account.” In the Greek translation of the Old Testament (the Septuagint), the term often appears where individuals must treat a person or object as if it were something other than what it is inherently. For example, when the Levites received tithes, they were not to treat these tithes as actual tithes that had already been devoted to the Lord. Instead, they had to regard these tithes as their income and then pay a tithe to the Lord themselves from what had been given to them. Inherently, what the people gave were tithes. But the Levites reckoned them as income (Num. 18:25–32).
Taking this all together, we see that in Romans 4 logizomai means to credit something to a person’s account and regard that person not according to what he has done or who he is but according to what is credited to his account. What is credited or imputed to our account? Today’s passage tackles this question by looking at what is not imputed to our account. God declares righteous the one against whom He “will not count … sin” (Rom. 4:6–8). The imputation that occurs in our justification involves both a positive crediting of something to our record but also a negative crediting—a removal of something, namely, our sin.
When the Lord looks upon us—those who trust in Christ alone—He does not regard us as unrighteous. Our sin is no longer imputed or credited to our record. Of course, God does not turn a blind eye to our transgressions, nor is He ignorant of our evil. Rather, He regards us legally according to what He has imputed to our account, and He has not imputed sin to the record of believers in Jesus. Dr. R.C. Sproul elaborates on this in his book on Romans: “When we stand before God, He knows everything we have ever done wrong—every evil thought, every wicked deed. When He looks at us inherently, all he sees are filthy rags, but that is not how He looks at us. He looks at us and sees Christ.”
Coram Deo
As we will see in due time, the counting or imputation we enjoy in justification is not merely a negative imputation but also a positive one. Dr. Sproul also writes, “The only righteousness we possess is the righteousness of Christ, and we possess it by transfer, by reckoning, by imputation.” We stand before God in Christ; though He knows we have sinned, He does not regard us as unrighteous but as righteous. He gives us eternal life according to Christ’s righteousness, not our own.

Active
@Life,

God has promised every sinner willing to humble themselves and comes to Him in faith, that He would never remember their sins. What sins is God referring to when He said, “and their sins and iniquities will I remember no more?”

God was referring to the sins of Adam. In Adam all men die, but only in Jesus Christ is all made alive (1Co. 15:22).The sins of Adam caused death and separation between God and man in death, but now Jesus has broken down that enmity between God and man by taking upon Himself the sins of the world (Isa. 59:2). Once a sinner comes to believe in their heart the Lord Jesus, (Romans 10:9,10 and 1John 1:9), confessing their sins, God will forgive them of their past, present and future sins they’ve inherited in Adam and grant unto them life through the inheritance of Righteousness which is in Christ. This Righteousness is non-imputation of sins because God is not accrediting their sins unto them; He does not remember their sins in Christ. A believer’s sins are blotted out in Christ. If a believer says they sin, they are speaking from the mind of the Adam. Sin is inherited through Adam, but once a believer becomes born again, they are no longer in Adam, but have died to the inheritance in Adam and come alive to the inheritance in Jesus Christ.

Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Active
@King J,

You said: The Law of Moses justified them from lake of fire. But only Jesus could graft them into God's presence. Excuse their sin before God. All those in Abraham's bosom would be grafted in as they were people, like David, after God's heart. They would repent sincerely of their sins. Albeit some, like David, committed sins that warranted the death penalty.

The Law of Moses could not justify anyone from the lake of fire; I’m curious to know where you learned this? The only way Abraham, Moses or new covenant believer could enter into Heaven and have life is through the blood of Jesus. The blood of Jesus took away all sins in Adam; which are from Adam until Jesus.

You said: Heaven is going to be full of people like this. Not everyone is going to be as obedient as the next person. If we say sin is disobedience, then many will sin in heaven.

I cannot understand why you would say this? Why would you say many will sin in Heaven? Unless you are saying no man should say they sin on earth? “INTERESTING VIEW”