• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What happens if a sinner only accepts Jesus.....

What happens if a hardcore sinner (who does all kinds of very sinful things his whole life) only accepts Jesus Christ as his personal savior when he's already about to die on his deathbed?!? Will Jesus still accept him in heaven?

This is somewhat similar to the crucifixion story, about the thief.
42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]"

43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

This sounds stupid, but what if my non-believing relatives and friends who are of other religions continue sinning all throughout their lifetime, worshipping other false gods, then when they're about to die, just accepts Jesus that very second???

I believe that if the person is sincere about their remorse, admits their sins and genuinely want forgiveness that they can and will be saved - even if on their deathbed. They would also need to acknowledge that Jesus is the Son of God and died for their sins.

The thief was saved because he believed Jesus was who he said he was.

If they do it without believing in Jesus and without any regret, remorse, and genuine repentance, I doubt they would be. In other words if they are just scared and think they better do this "just in case", I don't think that qualifies.

Just my opinion.

Love in Christ,

Dave

Last edited:
oh yeah like if they planned it that way or somethin. but i think god would kno the person and what they meant by it, like if they were realy serios or not.

I think that God will accept anyone into heaven once they have asked for their sins to be forgiven and given themselves to God. Even if they are on their death bed Jesus died for our sins to be forgiven and therefor their sins will be forgiven to matter how bad they may seem all sins are equal in God's eyes.

Administrator
Staff Member
Amen Jessica. Perfect Scripture quoted.

God knows our hearts and he looks for the sincerity. God cannot be mocked by the sinners

Galatians 6:7
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

If the sinner is sincere then he will be saved...no matter how long it may take for him/her to get to that point.

If a life long sinner can't go to heaven after he accepts the Lord, what makes us think that we will go to heaven too? considering that we were all sinners seperated from God from birth, trapped in the sin of Adam and Eve, until we accepted the Lord. Time is nothing to God so what difference is it when the person is 6 or 60.

just my opinion

If this person ask truly for forgiveness and is sorry for the things he/she had done then YES.

That is the difference between Christianity and other Religions. We do not have to do big things to come to heaven or God do not expect big big things from us to enter heaven. We just have to ask for forgiveness (if we mean it by heart) and he will forgive everybody who ask him for forgiveness who means it serious..

Be blessed

ragingregi said:
What happens if a hardcore sinner (who does all kinds of very sinful things his whole life) only accepts Jesus Christ as his personal savior when he's already about to die on his deathbed?!? Will Jesus still accept him in heaven?

This is somewhat similar to the crucifixion story, about the thief.
42Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]"

43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

This sounds stupid, but what if my non-believing relatives and friends who are of other religions continue sinning all throughout their lifetime, worshipping other false gods, then when they're about to die, just accepts Jesus that very second???
Well the only way that I can think to say in answer to your question is; The Almighty GOD & Jesus Christ knows us, better than we know ourselves. GOD knows what you truly feel with in your heart, soul & mind. So, if this sinner, who has sinned his/her life away, is now on the death bed & has finely come to know GOD & Jesus Christ & is truly sorry for their wicked life, there is a chance that person could still be saved. {Matthew 20:16} For all things are possible through {The Almighty} GOD! {Matthew 19:26} But, remember too, it's really not for me to say - but up to GOD & Jesus Christ, to decide!

Read the parable in Matthew 20..."As Jesus was telling what the kingdom of heaven would be like, he said: Early one morning a man went out to hire some workers for his vineyard....
The workers who had been hired first thought they would be given more than the others. But when they were given the same,
they began complaining to the owner of the vineyard.
They said, "The ones who were hired last worked for only one hour. But you paid them the same that you did us. And we worked in the hot sun all day long!"
And again...
Rom 9:14 Are we saying that God is unfair? Certainly not!
The Lord told Moses that he has pity and mercy on anyone he wants to.
Everything then depends on God's mercy and not on what people want or do. CEV

Lets not forget this Scripture; Matthew 7:21-23
"Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
"Many will say to Me in that day, `Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'
In fact this whole Chapter is one to pay close attention to!

Last edited:
That is true Jonah, but the passage you cited is actually talking to professing christians, whereas the question being asked was about sinners. God bless :)

Last edited:
Coconut said:
That is true Jonah, but the passage you cited is actually talking to professing christians, whereas the question being asked was about sinners. God bless :)
True, Coconut. I was just trying to remind evryone here, that there are also sinners among the Churches & why it's so important to pay close attention to Jesus's words! But, thank you for setting me straight. I can see, now, how the scripture could confusing to the original question.

I believe that people can be saved on their death beds just as Jesus saved the man on the cross next to HIM

As others have stated here, it depends on the understanding and what is in the heart of the person, and only God can see into the heart.
The complete dialogue of the two thieves in Luke 23:39-42:

"Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, 'If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us.'"
"But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, 'Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.' Then he said to Jesus, 'Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.'"

1. The thief defended Jesus.
2. The thief recognized his own sin and accepted that he should be condemned.
3. The thief recognized that Jesus was innocent, yet taking condemnation for the same crime as himself who deserved the punishment.
4. The thief called Jesus, Lord, acknowledged that the kingdom of heaven belonged to Him, and so asked Jesus personally for favor. The sinner believed the Man he saw held the keys to the God's kingdom.

For someone to accept Christ moments before death, the Holy Spirit would have to have prepared their heart in the Truth. It is in our hands to speak Christ at every opportunity. Even if some unsaved appear beyond reach, at least they will have the seeds planted. Once we enter heaven, we will be overjoyed that those we saw as lifelong, willful sinners wind up there with us. We won't even give a thought to whether they were saved moments before death - just to know a word you spoke led to someone's eternal salvation will be a crowning glory unimaginable.

In Mark 15:32b it says, "Even those who were crucified with Him reviled Him." Apparently at first, both thieves were against Jesus, so something happened in the heart of one thief to change him.

"But we preach Christ crucified..."(1 Corinthins 1:23)

This gives enormous hope that anyone who has heard the Word can come to saving faith in a moment. Even last hours of suffering can be someone's first hope of salvation.

Wait..I thought we all were sinners. Until we accepted Christ...I thought we were still sinners even though we accepted Christ...wait again...i thought we rehabilated sinners. Making amends for our past deeds...now walking and living by the spirit of God..

True God may accept a death bed confession but not always. So dont wait for one. Thats what constantine did. He got baptised right before he died...
Hello. God cannot accept his death bed confession.

the thief on the cross...understood the scriptures and compared Christ and them and realized that he was hanging beside the awaited messiah. Did you notice, he now called him LORD? There was change in him that only God could produce. Now, there were two sons of god hanging on crosses.

Jonah, I can see why you quoted the scripture. YOu are correct that indeed a deathbed confession could be simply someone who makes a profession of faith. Just like the people claiming to be doing the work of the Lord but are really advocates for the devil....thanks...very inciteful...