• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

What does the Bible say about being poor?

Loyal
SO then why does Jesus warn us about being rich and not getting into heaven

Matthew 19:24
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”

Now he does tell us to lay up our treasure in heaven he actually commands us not to lay up on earth because its stupid because they (treasures) will be destroyed, he tells us to lay them in heaven where they will last for ever. So you see treasure on earth is nothing like treasures in heaven. Same word different meaning !!!

AGAIN JESUS COMMANDS US NOT to LAY UP TREASURES ON EARTH !!!

Matthew 6:19
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,

Matthew 6:20
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

is is not dump to store up treasure where it will be destroyed on earth.

In the below verbage Rich has nothing to do with earthly rich at all !!!!!!

2 Corinthians 8:9
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich.

All Jesus apostles gave up everything to follow him, yet they were rich !!!

Loyal
SO then why does Jesus warn us about being rich and not getting into heaven

Matthew 19:24
Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”

Now he does tell us to lay up our treasure in heaven he actually commands us not to lay up on earth because its stupid because they (treasures) will be destroyed, he tells us to lay them in heaven where they will last for ever. So you see treasure on earth is nothing like treasures in heaven. Same word different meaning !!!

AGAIN JESUS COMMANDS US NOT to LAY UP TREASURES ON EARTH !!!

Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,

but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

is is not dump to store up treasure where it will be destroyed on earth.

In the below verbage Rich has nothing to do with earthly rich at all !!!!!!

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you by his poverty might become rich.

All Jesus apostles gave up everything to follow him, yet they were rich !!!

You asked. "why does Jesus warn us about being rich and not getting into heaven?"

Jesus did not say rich people cannot go to heaven..He said it was difficult for a rich person to look for help or support above those riches. If you had millions of dollars in your account you would tend to think that you could handle any situation or have it handled...A dangerous mindset.
Look;
1 Timothy 6:17-19 (CJB)
17 As for those who do have riches in this present world, charge them not to be proud and not to let their hopes rest on the uncertainties of riches but to rest their hopes on God, who richly provides us with all things for our enjoyment. 18 Charge them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, to be generous and ready to share. 19 In this way they will treasure up for themselves a good foundation for the future, so that they may lay hold of the real life.

Yes He does tell us to lay up treasures in heaven. 'For where your treasure is there will your heart be also' Right? Jesus told the rich young man to give his riches to the poor, in so doing he would be laying up that treasure in heaven...Jesus was suggesting an investment, if you will, to the young man. The young fellow could not see that. He saw it the way most Christians see it, as going penniless for the rest of their Earthly lives...That's wrong.
But look!
Luke 6:37-38(CJB)
37 “Don’t judge,
and you won’t be judged.
Don’t condemn,
and you won’t be condemned.

“Forgive,
and you will be forgiven.
38 Give,
and you will receive gifts —

the full measure, compacted, shaken together and overflowing, will be put right in your lap. For the measure with which you measure out will be used to measure back to you!”
Malachi 3:10 (CJB)
10 Bring the whole tenth into the storehouse,
so that there will be food in my house,
and put me to the test,”
says Adonai-Tzva’ot.
“See if I won’t open for you
the floodgates of heaven
and pour out for you a blessing
far beyond your needs.

Proverbs 3:9-10 (CJB)
9 Honor Adonai with your wealth
and with the firstfruits of all your income.
10 Then your granaries will be filled
and your vats overflow with new wine.
Here we are again...You give your riches to God and you cannot outgive Him.

Now. Everybody's favorite verse for being poor..

Yes! This is true! Jesus, the sovereign God, full of glory, gave that all up to become a mere human, to be persecuted, prosecuted and murdered, His visage marred to the point where He was no longer recognizable as being human. Isaiah 52:13-15(CJB) And why? He did that so you could be the righteousness of God in His anointing. He did it so you could be healed of all dis-ease. He did it so you could be rich in all ways.
Now look at the context of that verse 2 Corinthians 8. The entire verse is on giving and being blessed in the giving. Oh I wish Christians were that enthusiastic today.

Active
Brothers, With God, all things are possible. Important...With God.

I have very wealthy people all around me and I observe their arrogance, foul mouth, self centered, better than me attitude. For I am indeed a peasant, but richer then all their money (plastic money), and stuff owned combined. But my riches are laid up in heaven.

I do believe some rich folks will make it to heaven. I know a woman who is blessed 38th millions; the more she gives away, blessing the poor, the more God freely hands her. I love her. She is my sister in Christ; not because she hands to me, but because she loves me too. We are close to a 1000 miles apart but talk almost everyday. The blood of the Lamb, that runs in this peasants veins, runs in that rich woman as well. We are bound by a greater genealogy then this world knows. It is the genealogy of a KING, a Royal priesthood. Praise God for it. Amen.

Seek your teasures in heaven, your heart will be where your treasure is. Everything here is temporary; don't look at it as your life, for it can all be gone in the blink of an eye. Come on, y'all have read about Job.

God bless you brothers. I love you. Be Christ like...He had Father God. Amen

As a man who work in the investment world where the greediest are present i can tell you my faith in Christ and learning from Christ teaching always helped me to be very discipline in controling greed and fear or in other words having a perfect risk management.

Also in a part of my life i was working with humanitarian organisations and with many churches helping the needy ones & its when i searched for Christ in all churches and coudn't find him & i found in him in ordinary people like me:

Who give without expecting anything in return giving only for the love of giving for them to sculpture there hearts to perfection in love.

Who risk there lives to save other.

Who solve humanitarian problems one time and forever.

Eliminating poverty from the face of earth is possible but no one want it especially organized religions who want to keep on controling the mass.

Jesus Christ is all about bravory and freedom and he told us if we have faith we can do even greater things than him.

From my faith in Christ i understood that everything on earth is free and who are poor how Jesus explain it are the ones who understand that for example.
Energy is for free and nicola tesla showed us the way but no one adopted it.
Nature provide for free all u need is to plant a seed on earth and u get food.
Oxigen is for free as u can breath as much as u want.
Water is for free even many want to sell potable water.
Nature is our big home, as live around trees and nature as much u will be happier.
And thats the most imp thing knowladge is for free and free u took and free u give.

Briefly poverty how Jesus teach it is freedom and not to get attached to material things :)

Loyal
It always goes back to Christians accusing Christians of greed or something similar....What is the reason for the tithe? Look at Malachi 3....
Malachi 3:10-11 (CJB)
10 Bring the whole tenth into the storehouse,
so that there will be food in my house, (For the feeding of the poor)
and put me to the test,” (Learn that His Word is good)
says Adonai-Tzva’ot.
“See if I won’t open for you
the floodgates of heaven
and pour out for you a blessing
far beyond your needs. (Why? So you can give more)
11 For your sakes I will forbid the devourer
to destroy the yield from your soil;
and your vine will not lose its fruit
before harvest-time,”
says Adonai-Tzva’ot. ( Your work will produce what it is to produce, your belongings will not break down or need replacing. Your crops will never fail...)

Since I first came to the Lord I've been told that you cannot out give God....Now it's become..."You cannot out give God so why try?" I've always thought that it would be a total blast to try to out give Him. LOL

There are posts in this thread that say money is not evil but are so afraid that if they have lots of money it will somehow corrupt them...If it did, then money would be evil...You really have to make up your minds here....Listen to the Word and stop listening to doctrines taught by devils....
1 Timothy 4:1-3(CJB)
4 The Spirit expressly states that in the acharit-hayamim some people will apostatize from the faith by paying attention to deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2 Such teachings come from the hypocrisy of liars whose own consciences have been burned, as if with a red-hot branding iron. 3 They forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods which God created to be eaten with thanksgiving by those who have come to trust and to know the truth.

Loyal
only a fool worries about his earthly riches, as a matter of fact Jesus commands us not to store up earthly treasure !!

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,

but he does say be smart and store them up where they will last forever and be way better then any earthly treasure

Loyal
I bet you never hear the prosperity devils talking about this verse AMEN !!

Luke 12:15
And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.

Or this one either

Luke 16:13-15
"‘No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.’ The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. He said to them, ‘You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight’

Loyal
I bet you never hear the prosperity devils talking about this verse AMEN !!

Luke 12:15
And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.

Or this one either

Luke 16:13-15
"‘No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.’ The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. He said to them, ‘You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight’

Actually, Dave, I was referring to, not being poor or rich, but to the effects and reasons for giving..

Loyal
Bedito said
There are posts in this thread that say money is not evil but are so afraid that if they have lots of money it will somehow corrupt them,If it did, then money would be evil

That would be implying that money will not corrupt them, that is partly true its the love of money that corrupts them and that is evil, heck you can be broke with no money at all and still be corrupted with the love of money. Thats is whey you have to be very careful, and giving it away especially to support the kingdom of God is a great way to guard against the love of money. .

Active
But the Kingdom of God is WITHIN you!

Help someone on the street who is in hard times, share the good news with them and hand them some meal money.

The majority of the world's churches don't help the poor but store it up for themselves; building their synagogues bigger and can't fill the seats they already got, creating bigger utility bill's to pay and upkeep; so when does the poor get helped?

I see folks on the street everyday that hope for God's love and compassion, mercy and kindness; are we supporting Him, being His soldier?

Pay It Forward; touching one, could touch millions, but we have to come out of the house made with hands to do it.

Loyal
I see so many Christians saying how Jesus who was rich became poor as a justification to reject blessings and prosperity....The bible also says that Jesus became sin....The bible also says Jesus became sickness and disease.....So what happened....He got over the sin and sickness but not poverty? Really?! Jesus was poor at the time of His birth on Earth but He did NOT stay that way at all.....The wise guys came....Listen people...In those days kings did not travel in ones or twos or even threes....They traveled in groups of about forty....So....Jesus is about two years old, and this group of kings show up at Joseph's door with gifts for the boy Jesus.....Forty kings with chests the size of coffins full of gold, frankincense and myrrh..... How was Jesus poor then....Oh I understand Jesus said "Oh poor me! How am I ever to spend all this?" Sarcasm sorry LOL

Anyway You deal with the verses that said He became sick and He became sin...

Loyal
I pray you stop listening to the prosperity gospel and there false teaching, In Jesus name I pray. God bless

Loyal
I pray you stop listening to the prosperity gospel and there false teaching, In Jesus name I pray. God bless

So would you mind answering my questions first? Why was it that Jesus could overcome the sin thing, and the sickness thing by could never overcome His problem with the poverty?

Loyal
Bendito I come here in love and peace I do not want to argue with you. . Praise Jesus My Lord and savior. And God bless brother .

Loyal
But if I was to reply LOL ;) I might say he had no problem with poverty, why do you think it was a problem?

Loyal
But if I was to reply LOL ;) I might say he had no problem with poverty, why do you think it was a problem?

Oh Garsh! LOL Why was it that Jesus could overcome the sin thing, and the sickness thing by could never overcome His problem with the incredible riches that were given him?

Loyal
LOL being rich or poor it is not a problem for Jesus. He did send out all his apostles with very little material things though did he not yet they were richer then all then all they encountered. He did tell all his apostles they would suffer and die for his name. People all over the world suffer and die for the Gospel everyday, it is a honor, people are blessed and by God every day it is a honor. God bless you

Loyal
LOL being rich or poor it is not a problem for Jesus. He did send out all his apostles with very little material things though did he not yet they were richer then all then all they encountered. He did tell all his apostles they would suffer and die for his name. People all over the world suffer and die for the Gospel everyday, it is a honor, people are blessed and by God every day it is a honor. God bless you
Yet, even among those he sent out some, or at least one, failed to understand just exactly what it was with which Jesus had provided them. We have have been provided as much if we only recognized what we have been given... We should never look to our bank accounts to see our greatest riches...

Do we have the eyes to see?

Give God the glory!

Active
Yet, even among those he sent out some, or at least one, failed to understand just exactly what it was with which Jesus had provided them. We have have been provided as much if we only recognized what we have been given... We should never look to our bank accounts to see our greatest riches...

Do we have the eyes to see?

Give God the glory!

Do we touch God's heart with our own, while we go about?
Does God touch our heart with love and compassion, while we go about?

Is our heart of stone been made flesh?
Have I lay down my life for another?

Do we search such depths of our own heart that only God can provide the answer?