• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

What does Luke 9:45 mean by the disciples not ‘grasping’ the meaning of Jesus’ words?

What does ‘not Grasping’ mean?

Did Jesus tell Mary to ‘not Grasp’ to him...

What is ‘grasping’???

Loyal
It means to hold on to. Grasping the meaning of words is to understand.

The NRSV translation puts it this way

While everyone was amazed at all that he was doing, he said to his disciples, “Let these words sink into your ears: The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into human hands.” But they did not understand this saying; its meaning was concealed from them, so that they could not perceive it. And they were afraid to ask him about this saying.

I do not agree that grasp means ‘to HOLD ON TO’. Mary had NOT touched Jesus. She had only been REACHING OUT TO TRY TO TAKE OF HIM (his garment!!?). Jesus told her NOT to try reaching out to grasp hold of him because he had not been glorified... I’m thing she would gone right through him like a mirage and would think he was a ghost!! His BODY had not yet been GLORIFIED as an IMMORTAL BODY.

So ‘Not Grasp’, means what? (I thought I had emphasised ‘not grasp’)

Also, I read ‘Grasp’ as meaning:
  • ”Grasp”: ‘to take hold of...’
  • “Grasping”: ‘reaching out TO TRY taking hold of’
  • “Grasped”: ‘Having taken hold of...’
And so:
  • ”Not Grasp”: ‘did not take hold of...’
  • “Not Grasping”: ‘did not try reaching out to take hold of’
  • “Not Grasped”: ‘Had not taken hold of...’
The NRSV translation puts it this way

While everyone was amazed at all that he was doing, he said to his disciples, “Let these words sink into your ears: The Son of Man is going to be betrayed into human hands.” But they did not understand this saying; its meaning was concealed from them, so that they could not perceive it. And they were afraid to ask him about this saying.
And so, ‘The disciples did not:
  • ‘Grasp’ the meaning...
  • ‘Did not take hold of’ the meaning...
  • ‘Did not perceive’ the meaning...
Would you agree with this summary?

Im having trouble with people who don’t have proper BASIC UNDERSTANDING of English... people who are tainted with wrongful linguistic renderings and uphold their wrongful thinking because of loyalty to their belief RATHER THAN to reality and common sense!

I would love to read a sentence where the word, “ grasp “, translates as ‘ hold on to ’....

Hint: you cannot HOLD ONTO something you have not yet TAKEN HOLD OF!!!

Any challengers???

Loyal
Luke 9:45 "But they did not understand this saying, and it was hidden from them so that they did not perceive it; and they were afraid to ask Him about this saying."

This is from the NKJ version.

It means that they did not understand the comment.

Loyal
If you're going to do a deep dive into a single word like this, you might as go back the original language and explore the word in Greek.

It's easy enough to check an online interlinear Bible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
Thanks Sue. Yes I meant deep dive into, not 'deep give'. I don't really understand what it is that the op finds complex or interesting about the word 'grasp'

(edit: typo fixed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Sue. Yes I meant deep dive into, not 'deep give'. I don't really understand what it is that the op finds complex or interesting about the word 'grasp'
Hekuran, what do you say the word ‘Grasp’, means?

Did you know that you used the meaning of ‘grasp’ in your response above?

‘You did not GRAB HOLD OF what the op found complexes or interesting about that word’

So, Hekuran, when you express to me what you think ‘grasp’ means, then I will tell you.

Thanks. I think you will grasp the meaning after that!

Loyal
I would love to read a sentence where the word, “ grasp “, translates as ‘ hold on to ’....

Hint: you cannot HOLD ONTO something you have not yet TAKEN HOLD OF!!!

Any challengers???
English syntax, has always been a problem among us. As well as “biblical idioms” notice I did say “us”! I have to be very careful, of the things I say.

Loyal
12I have much more to say to you, but right now it would be more than you could understand. (John 16:12)

Loyal
Hekuran, what do you say the word ‘Grasp’, means?

Did you know that you used the meaning of ‘grasp’ in your response above?

‘You did not GRAB HOLD OF what the op found complexes or interesting about that word’

So, Hekuran, when you express to me what you think ‘grasp’ means, then I will tell you.

Thanks. I think you will grasp the meaning after that!
I doubt it. Your op asked a question. I answered it in my first reply.

I doubt it. Your op asked a question. I answered it in my first reply.
Hekuran, I AM the op!!

You said:
No! Hekuran, it means ‘to reach out to [try] to TAKE HOLD OF’

I see Trinitarians floundering at this simple action. Why? There is a reason that is not positive.

‘Grasp the nettle’... we all heard that phrase... it means to TAKE HOLD OF something that we feel may hurt us but we still need to do it to one way or another.

‘Grasp the meaning’ ... it means TO TAKE HOLD OF the meaning... to SIEZE the meaning.

There is no definition of ‘Grasp’ that means ‘Hold ONTO’...

You have to FIRST ‘Grasp’ before you can ‘Hold onto’ what you have ‘Grasped’.

Last edited:
12I have much more to say to you, but right now it would be more than you could understand. (John 16:12)
This sentence is invalid...

It does not have a translation that equates to ‘Hold on to’.

It translates as ‘could NOT Grasp’! ... ‘more than you Could TAKE HOLD OF...’

Loyal
If you have something interesting to share please share it. Asking a question then telling everybody who replies that their answers are wrong is just being a nuisance.

Staff Member
Greetings,

Im having trouble with people who don’t have proper BASIC UNDERSTANDING of English... people who are tainted with wrongful linguistic renderings and uphold their wrongful thinking because of loyalty to their belief RATHER THAN to reality and common sense!

The Lord is able to help you with this, all you need to do is ... ask

Bless you ....><>

If you have something interesting to share please share it. Asking a question then telling everybody who replies that their answers are wrong is just being a nuisance.
So, Hekuran, you don’t like to know that when you say something wrong, that someone should say you are not?

If I asked you ‘Is mankind Human’ and you answered, ‘No, mankind is insect’, should be angered (sorry, annoyed!) that you should be told that you are wrong?

My point is that the word, ‘Grasp’ DOES NOT mean, ‘Holding to’, ‘Hold on to’, ‘to have seized...’, etc., because to hold on to something means you have ALREADY Grasped it...

You cannot ‘hold on to’ something you have not priorly GRASPED.

And ‘Grasp’ means to be reaching out to TAKE HOLD OF... it is the act of attempting to sieze, trying to perceive, reaching OUT to acquire.

You example was false... that’s why I commented on it...

I asked for righteous examples but you proffered an unrighteous answer.

Staff Member
Greetings,

yes, while nobody is forced to participate in any thread or foeum, the practice of guessing games is a bit silly unless that is pointed out initially so others know where they stand.

@JustAskin , perhaps, in future, you could take the time to write a short (or long, if you prefer) study sort of thing that explains what it is you wish to share with others. Sharing is quite acceptable at the table to which you have been welcomed.

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Greetings,

could you please take a little time to watch your manners?

Grasp, as you put it, can be both a doing and a done thing. For instance, your quoted post is not really in tune with righteous fellowship and further posts that be similar, if indeed there are any, could be removed and you might find yourself upset by that, if you grasp my meaning.

Post in Peace, not attitude, please

Bless you ....><>

So, Hekuran, you don’t like to know that when you say something wrong, that someone should say you are not?

If I asked you ‘Is mankind Human’ and you answered, ‘No, mankind is insect’, should be angered (sorry, annoyed!) that you should be told that you are wrong?

My point is that the word, ‘Grasp’ DOES NOT mean, ‘Holding to’, ‘Hold on to’, ‘to have seized...’, etc., because to hold on to something means you have ALREADY Grasped it...

You cannot ‘hold on to’ something you have not priorly GRASPED.

And ‘Grasp’ means to be reaching out to TAKE HOLD OF... it is the act of attempting to sieze, trying to perceive, reaching OUT to acquire.

You example was false... that’s why I commented on it...

I asked for righteous examples but you proffered an unrighteous answer.

Greetings,

The Lord is able to help you with this, all you need to do is ... ask

Bless you ....><>
Thank you Br.Bear.

The lack of understanding in the linguistically famine among Trinitarians is quite familiar to me... it is, of course, couched in the verse that states:
  • ‘God will send a deceiving spirit into their hearts such that they will believe the lie’ (paraphrased in case these are the exact words)
What I’m flummoxed about is EXACTLY why they are so easily OR WANTONLY deceived - and who are they who are not?

Certainly, Phil 2 (there is my target point!!!) does not say that Jesus was ‘HOLDING ON TO’ being God.... that is ‘S T U P I D’ because GOD cannot STOP being GOD so it’s not sense to say he would need to HOLD ON TO being so...

God ‘IS’... that is why his name is ‘YHWH’, which means, ‘I am’... from ‘I will always be who I Am’ - ‘I am Almighty God / I never change!!’