• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Was Jesus poor?

Active
Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: THE CHASTISEMENT OF OUR PEACE WAS UPON HIM; and with his stripes, we are healed.

The word, "PEACE", in verse five means, "welfare, that is, health, PROSPERITY, peace" When did Jesus become poor so that we would have abundant prosperity? When did Jesus take our sins upon himself? On the cross. This was the place where the exchange of his poverty turned to our riches, and our sin became his, and where his righteousness became ours.

2 Cor 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet FOR YOUR SAKES HE BECAME POOR, THAT YE THROUGH HIS POVERTY MIGHT BE RICH.

I see it differently, but there's nothing wrong with the way you see it. It's certainly nothing to worry about.

I just wanted you to see my take on how He was considered poor. I won't argue your points, Brother.

From my view, poverty in the Greek is "ptócheia" and means "the condition of one destitute of riches and abundance."

That's exactly what Christ was when left His glory with the Father to become man, having laid aside that glory for us.

But it's ok that we don't see eye to eye on this. No two of us will see eye to eye on everything.

Loyal
I see it differently, but there's nothing wrong with the way you see it. It's certainly nothing to worry about.

I just wanted you to see my take on how He was considered poor. I won't argue your points, Brother.

From my view, poverty in the Greek is "ptócheia" and means "the condition of one destitute of riches and abundance."

That's exactly what Christ was when left His glory with the Father to become man, having laid aside that glory for us.

But it's ok that we don't see eye to eye on this. No two of us will see eye to eye on everything.
The cross is where the great exchange took place, his life became ours, our sins became his, our poverty became his, and his riches became ours. (which happened on the cross) There was never a time in Jesus's life where he lacked anything. He always had more than enough even to give money to the poor. Pretty much everyone wants Jesus to have been poor. I used to think that way two until I found scriptures don't say that. Whether you believe Jesus was poor or not does not affect one's salvation, but it is nice to know which one is true.

Active
The cross is where the great exchange took place, his life became ours, our sins became his, our poverty became his, and his riches became ours. (which happened on the cross) There was never a time in Jesus's life where he lacked anything. He always had more than enough even to give money to the poor. Pretty much everyone wants Jesus to have been poor. I used to think that way two until I found scriptures don't say that. Whether you believe Jesus was poor or not does not affect one's salvation, but it is nice to know which one is true.

LOL, I don't want to argue, and will only say that Christ at the time of His crucifixion had little more than the clothes on His back.

The Father gave Him all that He needed to survive and the ones with Him.

Active
LOL, I don't want to argue, and will only say that Christ at the time of His crucifixion had little more than the clothes on His back.

The Father gave Him all that He needed to survive and the ones with Him.

I wouldn’t waste my time brother.
People come up with some of the most outlandish topics trying to show their intellect, but usually just wind up showing their ignorance. What can you do?

Active
I think what is also very interesting is that at no time was any of the disciples ever sick, they never complained about having no food., or having no place to rest their heads! Jesus supplies all their needs (Phil 4:19) just as he does ours! Blessing all!!

Loyal
I think what is also very interesting is that at no time was any of the disciples ever sick, they never complained about having no food., or having no place to rest their heads! Jesus supplies all their needs (Phil 4:19) just as he does ours! Blessing all!!
That's an argument from silence. If they went hungry or without somewhere to sleep occasionally, or one of the Twelve dropped out of ministry for a while due to toothache or a fever I wouldn't expect the gospel writers to record it.

Active
Hekuran you might read (Phil 2:25-28) also 1 Tim 5:23) I think they would have written it. The Lord had no problem having them write these scriptures.

Active

Didn’t Paul pray 3 times for healing? And didn’t he say he learned how to be in need?