• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Was Jesus Poor?

Loyal
Was Jesus Poor?

Jesus was NEVER poor, oh, I take that back, Jesus became poor at one time, and that was on the cross!!!

Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: THE CHASTISEMENT OF OUR PEACE WAS UPON HIM; and with his stripes we are healed.

The word, "PEACE", it means, "welfare, that is, health, PROSPERITY, peace". When did Jesus become poor so that we would have abundant prosperity?

2 Cor 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet FOR YOUR SAKES HE BECAME POOR, THAT YE THROUGH HIS POVERTY MIGHT BE RICH.

Jesus became poor on the cross for us, but he was NEVER EVER poor himself in his earthly life!!!!!!!

On the Cross, Jesus took our poverty to provide us the riches of His grace. He became poor that we might be rich, which means abundant provision!

When did Jesus take on sin, sickness, the curse, and poverty? On the Cross! He did this so we could receive health, righteousness, blessing, and prosperity. He took the punishment that belonged to us so that we could receive the blessings that belong to Him.

How would you like to provide food for 12 Apostles, and most likely their families too? No need to have a "TREASURER" if they were poor. Poor people begged at the gates of the cities. Jesus never begged for anything or any of his Apostles. Jesus had many "MINISTRY PARTNERS" covering all his costs.

Luke 8:1 Soon afterward Jesus began a tour of the nearby towns and villages, preaching and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom of God. He took His twelve disciples with Him,
Luke 8:2 along with some women who had been cured of evil spirits and diseases. Among them were Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons;
Luke 8:3 JOANNA, THE WIFE OF CHUZA, HEROD'S BUSINESS MANAGER; SUSANNA; AND MANY OTHERS WHO WERE CONTRIBUTING FROM THEIR OWN RESOURCES TO SUPPORT JESUS AND HIS DISCIPLES. (NLT)

Do poor people have their own home? Did Jesus have a home?

Matt 4:12 When Jesus heard that John had been put in prison, he went back to Galilee.
Matt 4:13 He left Nazareth and MADE HIS HOME IN CAPERNAUM on the shores of the Sea of Galilee. This was in the region of Zebulun and Naphtali.

Matt 2:1 And when he returned to Capernaum after some days, IT WAS REPORTED THAT HE WAS AT HOME.

If someone does not have a home, how can it be reported that Jesus was at home? Sounds like he a beachfront property!

Jesus was buried in a "rich" man's tomb so that prophecy would be fulfilled..

Isa 53:9 He had done no wrong and had never deceived anyone. But He was buried like a criminal; He was put in a rich man's grave. (NLT)

When Jesus said "BLESSED ARE THE POOR", (Matt 5:3) it was NOT because they were poor that they were blessed, but that they didn't have to be poor anymore!!! Being poor is a part of the “curse” of the law, which Jesus redeemed us from!

Jesus was not lavishly rich, neither was he poor. He had everything needed to accomplish his Father will on earth. He did have enough to give to the poor as was his usual custom. The clothes he wore when he was crucified were high enough quality that the roman soldiers gambled to see who would get them instead of tossing them aside. The "prosperity" preachers today have taken prosperity to mean something else other than what it was intended for. Having all your needs met whether physical or spiritual for your mission on earth is prosperity. You can take any teaching from the Bible and take them to the extreme which is never a good thing.

Pro 30:7 O God, I beg two favors from you; let me have them before I die.
Pro 30:8 First, help me never to tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs.
Pro 30:9 For if I grow rich, I may deny You and say, "Who is the LORD?" And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God's holy name.(NLT)

Loyal
Good post brother, though one comment did concern me, hope you don't mind me saying.

'If someone does not have a home, how can it be reported that Jesus was at home? Sounds like he a beachfront property!'

We can be at home within ourselves, we can feel at home in a certain place. Jesus slept with his disciples, on the mount of olives, where ever he was invited to sleep. The following comes to mind...

Luke 9:58 Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

Loyal
Good post brother, though one comment did concern me, hope you don't mind me saying.

'If someone does not have a home, how can it be reported that Jesus was at home? Sounds like he a beachfront property!'

We can be at home within ourselves, we can feel at home in a certain place. Jesus slept with his disciples, on the mount of olives, where ever he was invited to sleep. The following comes to mind...

Luke 9:58 Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
Brother you might have notice Jesus made his home in "Capernaum"

Mat 4:12 Now when Jesus heard that John had been arrested, He set out for Galilee.
Mat 4:13 But He left Nazareth and made His home in Capernaum, by the sea, in the district of Zebulon and Naphtali, (Williams)

In Luke 9 you will see that Jesus was on the move constantly with his disciples not near his home.

Luke 9:51 When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem.
Luke 9:52 And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him.
Luke 9:53 But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem.

Luke 9:57 As they were going along the road, someone said to him, “I will follow you wherever you go.”
Luke 9:58 And Jesus said to him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”

In the Samaritan city in which Jesus sent messengers to make preparations, the people there would not welcome him. Not having a place to lay your head because of not being welcomed in town could make you to have no place to lay your head. Jesus had a home, but not a home in every city.

Loyal
I am aware of what you say brother, the Samaritans were not liked by the Jews and the Jews were not welcomed by the Samaritans.

Another reason Jesus told the parable of the good Samaritan.

Jesus never had anything himself, he didn't need to, in His day He was a celebrity, (not like todays), God provided for all His needs, but it didn't include a beachfront property ;o)

Loyal
Jesus had a custom of giving to those who were poor.

Joh 12:4 But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (he who was about to betray him), said,
Joh 12:5 “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”
Joh 12:6 He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put into it.

Judas was a thief, and helped himself from what money Jesus did have from those who supported him! Judas knew it was a custom of Jesus to give money to the poor, so he complained over something he himself did not like to do!

Joh 13:26 Jesus answered, “It is he to whom I will give this morsel of bread when I have dipped it.” So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.
Joh 13:27 Then after he had taken the morsel, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.”
Joh 13:28 Now no one at the table knew why he said this to him.
Joh 13:29 Some thought that, because Judas had the moneybag, Jesus was telling him, “Buy what we need for the feast,” or that he should give something to the poor.

Loyal
Jesus had a custom of giving to those who were poor.

Joh 12:4 But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (he who was about to betray him), said,
Joh 12:5 “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?”
Joh 12:6 He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put into it.

Judas was a thief, and helped himself from what money Jesus did have from those who supported him! Judas knew it was a custom of Jesus to give money to the poor, so he complained over something he himself did not like to do!

Joh 13:26 Jesus answered, “It is he to whom I will give this morsel of bread when I have dipped it.” So when he had dipped the morsel, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot.
Joh 13:27 Then after he had taken the morsel, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, “What you are going to do, do quickly.”
Joh 13:28 Now no one at the table knew why he said this to him.
Joh 13:29 Some thought that, because Judas had the moneybag, Jesus was telling him, “Buy what we need for the feast,” or that he should give something to the poor.

True, an excellent example for us in every way.

But the expensive perfume was not Jesus'

John 12:3 (NKJV)
3 Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.

John 12:7-8 (NKJV)
7 But Jesus said, "Let her alone; she has kept this for the day of My burial.
8 For the poor you have with you always, but Me you do not have always."

Loyal
True, an excellent example for us in every way.

But the expensive perfume was not Jesus'

John 12:3 (NKJV)
3 Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.

John 12:7-8 (NKJV)
7 But Jesus said, "Let her alone; she has kept this for the day of My burial.
8 For the poor you have with you always, but Me you do not have always."
The thought is Jesus had a custom of giving to the poor, which Judas knew, which is why he complained of not having sold it, and giving the proceeds to the poor. Jesus was never poor.

Loyal
I moved 300 miles south and made my home here, home is where the heart is, not necessarily a property.
I live in Apple Valley Calif, I would not call this my home unless I had a home to live in. If I had no home I would be homeless.

Loyal
Jesus distinguished himself from the poor.

John 12:8 You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me." (NIV)

If Jesus was poor he would have said, "you will always have the poor, which includes me, but you will not always have me"

Loyal
Here is another account of Judas complaining about not giving the proceeds from the perfume put on Jesus feet......

John 12:1 Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to Bethany, where Lazarus lived, whom Jesus had raised from the dead.
John 12:2 Here a dinner was given in Jesus' honor. Martha served, while Lazarus was among those reclining at the table with him.
John 12:3 Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus' feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.
John 12:4 But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected,
John 12:5 "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages."
John 12:6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

Judas was a thief but he understood the value of the perfume used on Jesus feet as it was worth a whole years wages. Judas knew Jesus gave to the poor.

Loyal
We know Judas was a thief, The Word tells us.

Jesus was rich on many ways, he gives us examples of these, but none were monetary.

The perfume wasn't his, Judas saw it that way and that money could be made from it.

Jesus was rich in spirit, rich in love, rich in so many things, but money and assets were not part of them.

My Home is where my heart is brother, it is in the New Heaven/New earth, do we not look forward with eagerness to be at home with the Lord.

Loyal
Jesus was rich in spirit, rich in love, rich in so many things, but money and assets were not part of them.
I don't think a "poor" person would have treasurer holding on to their money for them.

John 12:4 But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected,
John 12:5 "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages."
John 12:6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

You do not see people bringing gifts of gold to their birth as the three wise men did. (Matt 2:11)

Loyal
Jesus perfectly walked in the "laws" of God, and because of this all these blessing came upon him.

Deu 28:1 If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth.
Deu 28:2 All these blessings will come on you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God:
Deu 28:3 You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country.
Deu 28:4 The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock--the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks.
Deu 28:5 Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed.
Deu 28:6 You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out.
Deu 28:7 The LORD will grant that the enemies who rise up against you will be defeated before you. They will come at you from one direction but flee from you in seven.
Deu 28:8 The LORD will send a blessing on your barns and on everything you put your hand to. The LORD your God will bless you in the land he is giving you.
Deu 28:9 The LORD will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the LORD your God and walk in obedience to him.
Deu 28:10 Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the LORD, and they will fear you.
Deu 28:11 The LORD will grant you abundant prosperity--in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your ground--in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you.
Deu 28:12 The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands. You will lend to many nations but will borrow from none.
Deu 28:13 The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom.
Deu 28:14 Do not turn aside from any of the commands I give you today, to the right or to the left, following other gods and serving them.

I do not think Jesus ever disobeyed his father in any way.

Loyal
True but, they were followers of Christ.

He was a celebrity in his time, look at the hangers on with celebrities today. People are so influenced by the world, what's in it for me. Judas was no exception. But his other disciples followed him, because they saw in him so much more. This was the promised one, The Christ.

Loyal
True but, they were followers of Christ.

He was a celebrity in his time, look at the hangers on with celebrities today. People are so influenced by the world, what's in it for me. Judas was no exception. But his other disciples followed him, because they saw in him so much more. This was the promised one, The Christ.
Jesus had the same riches that Peter had:

"Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk." Acts 3:6
As a man he had little that men could see, but within Him were riches beyond measure. People who look to the riches of the world as being important should observed the short life of Stephen described in scripture. A young man with no home, no family and no future as man and then even his carnal life was taken from him as he as simply looked to God... See Acts 7:54-58