• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Video Games

Hi everyone, sorry if this is on the wrong forum but I'm seeking advice. I play video games and I was wondering if this is something a Christian should be doing.
Is there any other gamers on this site.
I try not to play video games to often as they can be addictive ,I try to do all things in moderation.

Active
Hello Simon;

Typically, video games tend to glorify conquest at someone's defeat through death and destruction. The beauty of gaming is that whether we win or lose, we walk away scratch free to return another day. The real world is somewhat different as heroes really do accumulate scars be they physical or emotional.

Virtual gaming in itself isn't wrong, but it can be used as a preference as many other activities can to spending time with our Lord in solitude. The trick is to become like Abraham and as David describes, to yearn for the things of God as that will ultimately make us or break us spiritually. Cheers, John. Phil 4:8

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi Simon,

Games are just games but, it's the content behind them that matters.

Check out what the scripture says

Psalm 101:3
I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Staff Member
Greetings,

I'm seeking advice. I play video games and I was wondering if this is something a Christian should be doing.

a question you could ask yourself is, "What does playing video games do to glorify Christ?"

The fact that you are asking advice about it is evidence that you know already that you should not be doing so.
Ask the LORD for His help to walk away from games and thank Him that He is already helping you ... He loves you .

Bless you ....><>

Hi everyone, sorry if this is on the wrong forum but I'm seeking advice. I play video games and I was wondering if this is something a Christian should be doing.
Is there any other gamers on this site.
I try not to play video games to often as they can be addictive ,I try to do all things in moderation.

Guilt and shame come from the devil so don't let him put you down for playing games. His influence is in all people so if anyone tries to condemn you for what you're doing in this world, including yourself, then you're submitting to that worldly influence instead of the only one who can change your habits. The one who can stop you from playing video games evidently hasn't done so yet.

Staff Member
The one who can stop you from playing video games evidently hasn't done so yet.

With this reasoning in mind. God has brought it to his attention with the knowledge of addiction as a possibility. Not knowing the content of the games can also be cause for the prompting of him to seek an answer to what is surely upon his spirit.

With this being the case, does God have to stop a person in their tracks or is it possible that He allows the warning to be heard and the actions to follow the persons to make?

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
With this reasoning in mind. God has brought it to his attention with the knowledge of addiction as a possibility. Not knowing the content of the games can also be cause for the prompting of him to seek an answer to what is surely upon his spirit.

With this being the case, does God have to stop a person in their tracks or is it possible that He allows the warning to be heard and the actions to follow the persons to make?

As always... goes back to your belief in OSAS and predestination. You can't separate them from free will. Because if you have free-will after your saved.
You have the ability to "free-will" yourself out of salvation if you try hard enough.

Staff Member
As always... goes back to your belief in OSAS and predestination. You can't separate them from free will. Because if you have free-will after your saved.
You have the ability to "free-will" yourself out of salvation if you try hard enough.

Only if we expand it to that area of discussion. Which in this case/post is not warranted. Let's leave that to other threads. This is narrower in scope and has to do much more with the promptings which can also be named "conviction" done by the Holy Spirit on the individual believer.

Love you brother :)
YBIC
Nick
<><

Active
Hi Simon, and welcome! I am 63 and yes i am a gamer to!! LOL Brother Chad put up a couple of fine scripture,just to piggy back off him for a moment,Proverbs 11:1 comes to my mind! The other point I would make brother Simon is that there is no such word as try LOL I used try as an excuse to fail,which every time I tried, I did fail LOL We as believers either do,or do not.

I remember as a very young believer, on Sat when I stayed up way to late playing a game, my phone would ring and my brother in the Lord asked me if I was going to be at church tomorrow,I said I would try to get there,LOL I had no intention of going to church!

So i used the word try,to cover up a lie!! YIKES!!! That is usually what try does! It is a lie for the real truth,and once I learned this hard lesson brother,I threw try out the window from my words!! LOL If we give 7 or 8 hours to our flesh,then would not not be right and proper to give 8 hours of our time to the best friend we ever have?? Jesus! IF we do not have proper balance in our Lord Jesus we will not try and stumble, we will stumble!

Active
Just stop playing games and find something better to do with your time.

Books are great and the Bible is the best for a christian to spend time getting to know Gods word, plus you can chat with the Author how great is that?

I dont see the appeal of video games it all seems very mindnumbingly boring to me. Its not as if you can even compete in the olympic games and win a medal for your country or anything. They dont have a video game category.

Just stop playing games and find something better to do with your time.

Books are great and the Bible is the best for a christian to spend time getting to know Gods word, plus you can chat with the Author how great is that?

I dont see the appeal of video games it all seems very mindnumbingly boring to me. Its not as if you can even compete in the olympic games and win a medal for your country or anything. They dont have a video game category.
Just to be clear as you seem very uneducated in gaming there are games, which I'm sure most of the narrow minded Christians on this site will call demonic/ungodly, such as Counter Strike: Global Offensive, DOTA 2, Leauge of Legends, and SMITE which are considered E-sports in which top tier players and teams compete on national and international levels. Such as E-Leauge, Major Leauge Gaming, and ESL(E-Sports Leauge). So there for your competing argument is invalid so in closing do some research and quit making assumptions based on only your views. Now with this statement I'm sure you'll have some questions about my beliefs, I am a professed Christian and have been for almost 13 years. I read my bible and pray. I believe Jesus died for my sins. This however does not skew my judgement for entertainment purposes. I enjoy and play counter strike as a way to pass time and hopefully one day compete on the level that I mentioned above.