• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

United Methodist Delegates Reject Recognizing Gay Marriage

Staff Member
Let's stay in prayer that the Holy Spirit may move those who seek to marginalize if not totally eradicate the truth found in the Bible, for the sake of a misapplication/understanding of our Lord's commandment to Love one another. That immorality is not acceptable, but should be dealt with a loving support of those who seek to change from such a life that the World finds acceptable, but God does not. Understand that this is not to exclude any other sinful acts, but just happens to be an article on this particular one and how one denomination is trying to deal with it. Our Prayers are in order for them!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

United Methodist delegates reject recognizing gay marriage

Staff Member
If the bans were eased, "the church in Africa would cease to exist," said the Rev. Jerry Kulah of Liberia. "We can't do anything but to support the Traditional Plan — it is the biblical plan."

Shouldn't they all just be taking this stand.
The so called "church" leaders shouldn't even be looking to anything except the Bible.

Thank you for sharing Nick @Christ4Ever, what a worldly mess the "church" is in

Staff Member
If the bans were eased, "the church in Africa would cease to exist," said the Rev. Jerry Kulah of Liberia. "We can't do anything but to support the Traditional Plan — it is the biblical plan."

Shouldn't they all just be taking this stand.
The so called "church" leaders shouldn't even be looking to anything except the Bible.

Thank you for sharing Nick @Christ4Ever, what a worldly mess the "church" is in

Hello Sister,
What a quote from the Rev. of Liberia! Strikes to the very heart of what a church needs to be following and if it is not, would it still be a church!!!!! Thanks for pulling that quote out Sister.

You would think that all the church leaders would be on the same page, but sadly they are not. Evident by the individual churches of this denomination that have LGBTI clergy leading them, and approving of these marriages.

All the more important our prayers go Heavenward to strengthen, keep covered those who are being faithful, and prayers for those who are not, that they may come out of the darkness they have allowed themselves to stay in.

YBIC
Nick
<><

Posters who say we should "should just stick to the Bible" need to know that progressives at the UMC Conference and in general argue that THEY are correctly interpreting the Bible and that evangelicals overlook this point because they rip out their prooftexts out of context and cultural background and warp the true teaching of God's Word. As a former Theology professor was a retired UMC pastor, I nevertheless support the banning of gay marriage and ordination. But many former evangelicals have moved to mainline churches because they have been persuaded by the progressive's view of biblilcal teaching. If desired, I can post the progressives' biblical basis for their pro-gay position.

Similarly, Catholic theologians ground some of their distinctive doctrines in Scripture, too, and most evangelicals are under the false impression that Catholics just rely on long-standing church tradition. If there is demand for their biblical justifications here, I can start a thread that addresses that. But this is not primarily an apologetic site. So I will defer to the wishes of the board. btw, I am not Catholic.

Staff Member
Posters who say we should "should just stick to the Bible" need to know that progressives at the UMC Conference and in general argue that THEY are correctly interpreting the Bible and that evangelicals overlook this point because they rip out their prooftexts out of context and cultural background and warp the true teaching of God's Word. As a former Theology professor was a retired UMC pastor, I nevertheless support the banning of gay marriage and ordination. But many former evangelicals have moved to mainline churches because they have been persuaded by the progressive's view of biblilcal teaching. If desired, I can post the progressives' biblical basis for their pro-gay position.

Similarly, Catholic theologians ground some of their distinctive doctrines in Scripture, too, and most evangelicals are under the false impression that Catholics just rely on long-standing church tradition. If there is demand for their biblical justifications here, I can start a thread that addresses that. But this is not primarily an apologetic site. So I will defer to the wishes of the board. btw, I am not Catholic.

Hello Mad Hermit,
Lets see if I'm getting this right. At least roughly speaking. Sounds like you are saying there might be room or justification for the belief of those who are in the UMC Conference that agree in the progressives point of view. Though you yourself might see it differently. Is that correct?

As far as playing Devil's Advocate by posting the progressives' pro-gay position. Well....that would be entirely up to you, but I'd thread carefully, and if you decide to do so, maybe open with a statement disavowing the position, but stating your reasoning for creating the thread.

As far as a board of review so to speak. Well, just a few Brothers & Sisters in Christ Jesus who have followed our Administrator Chad in attempting to provide what I like to say is an Oasis in the darkness that is too prevalent out in the internet. So, that other Brothers & Sisters in Christ Jesus as well as those seeking may find peace, comfort, love, as well as some good sharpening of iron without the condemnation of the World. Though it may not always appear that we are successful in doing so, but we keep at it. To Glory of God brother!

I hope this kind of answer your question. :)

YBIC
Nick
<><

Lets see if I'm getting this right. At least roughly speaking. Sounds like you are saying there might be room or justification for the belief of those who are in the UMC Conference that agree in the progressives point of view. Though you yourself might see it differently. Is that correct?

No, what I'm saying is that it is counter-productive to challenge progressives to follow biblical teaching on the gay issue because they would counter, "But I am rightly dividing the Word." It is more effective to address their interpretation and application of specific texts and debate them that way. I could attempt to do that here, but dion't want to do so unless there is a consensus here that this is needed. Most theological debaters create an unfairly simplistic straw man of their opponents' position. So I have always stressed this strategy as the most effective way to engage in an apologetic defense of the faith: strive to summarize your opponents' case more succinctly and clearly than they can themselves. Doing so is an effective way to open their minds to your biblical perspective.

To cite a simpler parallel example, progressives attempt to offer a biblical justification for a pro-choice position on abortion is simpler to address and readers might find it helpful to learn what I think is the single most effective text to condemn abortion. I will do that tomorrow on a separate thread.