• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Unbelieving and Perverse Generation

Loyal
Matthew 17:17
(AMPC) And Jesus answered, O you unbelieving (warped, wayward, rebellious) and thoroughly perverse generation! How long am I to remain with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him here to Me.
(ASV) And Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I bear with you? bring him hither to me.
(BSB) “O unbelieving and perverse generation!” Jesus replied. “How long must I remain with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring the boy here to Me.”
(CSB) Jesus replied, “You unbelieving and perverse generation, how long will I be with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring him here to me.”
(ESV) And Jesus answered, “O faithless and twisted generation, how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you? Bring him here to me.”
(GNB) Jesus answered, "How unbelieving and wrong you people are! How long must I stay with you? How long do I have to put up with you? Bring the boy here to me!"
(GW) Jesus replied, “You unbelieving and corrupt generation! How long must I be with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring him here to me!”
(HCSB) Jesus replied, "You unbelieving and rebellious generation! How long will I be with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring him here to Me."
(JUB) Then Jesus answered and said, O unfaithful and crooked generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I suffer you? Bring him here to me.
(KJV) Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
(NAS77) And Jesus answered and said, "O unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me."
(NAS95) And Jesus answered and said, "You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me."
(NIrV) "You unbelieving and evil people!" Jesus replied. "How long do I have to stay with you? How long do I have to put up with you? Bring the boy here to me."
(NIV) "You unbelieving and perverse generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me."
(NKJV) Then Jesus answered and said, "O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to Me."
(NLT) Jesus said, “You faithless and corrupt people! How long must I be with you? How long must I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me.”

You didn't see Jesus get exasperated very often. A man brings his son to Jesus and tells him...
Matt 17:16; "I brought him to Your disciples, and they could not cure him."

..and it was true, the disciples could not cure the boy. But why? Was it because they didn't have the power to do so? Seven chapters earlier, the Bible says...

Matt 10:1; Jesus summoned His twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness.

So then, if Jesus had already given them to power to do this... why couldn't they?

Matt 17:17; And Jesus answered and said, "You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me."
Matt 17:18; And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon came out of him, and the boy was cured at once.
Matt 17:19; Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not drive it out?"
Matt 17:20; And He *said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

I can almost see the expression on Jesus's face here. How long do I have to be with you nitwits? How long do I have to put up with you?
Of course Jesus casts out the demon easily. Then the disciples ask Him.. "why couldn't we do that"?

Jesus says their faith was too small. He goes on to explain, all you need is very very small faith. ( the size of a mustard seed ) You don't need a lot of faith, you just need some.
When Jesus was asking the question... "how long shall I put up with you?" Who was He addressing this to? The man with the demonized son, or the disciples?

Jesus knew the disciples had the power to do this. He had already given it to them. There was one thing stopping them... no, there were two things.
Unbelief. Yes their faith was too small. But we find that it must've grown at some point because later in the Bible the disciples are casting demons out all over the place.
But Jesus mentions two words here... "unbelieving" and "perverted". It wasn't just unbelief that prevented them... there was some perversion in their way of thinking.
Sometimes it isn't just our unbelief that stops us.

I sometimes wonder if Jesus is looking at us now, and saying to Himself.. "how long do I have to put up with you nitwits"? You can do this, I already gave you the power to do it.
Why don't you think you can do it?