• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Truth

Loyal
In John 18:38; Pilate asked Jesus... "what is truth". Not realizing the truth was standing in front of him.
I think most of the world, and even many in the church today... do not know what truth is anymore.

In the verse preceding this question ( John 18:37; ) Jesus says...
"For the reason I have been born, and for this reason I have come into the world, to testify to the truth.
Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice."

Who are those "of the truth"?

In John 17, Jesus is speaking to the Father ( John 17:1; ) this continues all the way through the entire chapter.
It is one of Jesus's longest prayers. John 17:17; says... "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth."
Jesus sanctified Himself, that we "might" be sanctified in truth ( John 17:19; )

Even love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. ( 1 Cor 13:6; )

The word "truth" appears over 90 times in the new testament. It seems truth is important.

It says that Satan does not stand in the truth, and there is no truth in him. He is the father of lies. ( John 8:44; )

Jesus said He was the way.. the truth and the life... ( John 14:6; )

Maybe no other book in the new testament talk about truth more than Ephesians.
Eph 4:15; Eph 4:21; Eph 4:24-25;
Eph 5:9; says the fruit of the light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth.

Part of the armor of God is truth ( Eph 6:14; )

1 Tim 2:3-4; says ... God our Savior, who desire all men to be saved and come to the knowledge....
of the truth.
2 Tim 2:25; ... if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to... the knowledge of the truth.

The Bible also warns about those who refuse, turn away from, and malign the truth.
2 Tim 3:7-8; 2 Tim 4:4; Tius 1:14; James 5:19; 2 Pet 2:2; etc...

...and yet it seems the "truth" doesn't matter to many "Christians" or churches today.

In John 18:38; Pilate asked Jesus... "what is truth". Not realizing the truth was standing in front of him.
I think most of the world, and even many in the church today... do not know what truth is anymore.

"For the reason I have been born, and for this reason I have come into the world, to testify to the truth.

In John 17, Jesus is speaking to the Father ( John 17:1; ) this continues all the way through the entire chapter.
It is one of Jesus's longest prayers. John 17:17; says... "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth."
Jesus sanctified Himself, that we "might" be sanctified in truth ( John 17:19; )

Even love does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. ( 1 Cor 13:6; )

The word "truth" appears over 90 times in the new testament. It seems truth is important.

It says that Satan does not stand in the truth, and there is no truth in him. He is the father of lies. ( John 8:44; )

Eph 5:9; says the fruit of the light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth.

1 Tim 2:3-4; says ... God our Savior, who desire all men to be saved and come to the knowledge....
of the truth.
2 Tim 2:25; ... if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to... the knowledge of the truth.

The Bible also warns about those who refuse, turn away from, and malign the truth.

...and yet it seems the "truth" doesn't matter to many "Christians" or churches today.

Here's what the Lord gave me to write about the truth some years ago;

No man has the truth except for those who have received it and is guarded by the one who gave it.

Only those who have laid down their life for it, can see it.

Truth is not of this world but it exposes this world for what it is and leaves it naked and exposed for those who understand it.

Truth was never intended for those who aren't truthful. Lies are their nature.

Truth has the right to condemn those who don't have it.

Truth is the justice that mere man cannot conceive. The injustice man does, keeps him from it.

Life is chaotic to those who don't bear it, but is understood by those who do.

One can never know what truth really is until he has it. Then he will understand that its true.

Nobody can buy the truth because its not for sale. It is freely given to those who ask for it.

What you see is not always the truth because your eyes deceive you and your ears don't hear.

Truth is the righteousness that excludes men. Not to be seen until they are righteous.

Truth is more precious than gold, and gold is more precious than silver. A miner of truth will tell you that.

Give a man the truth and he will know your heart but don't trust a man without it.

Truth wasn't made for man's eyes because he is blind. Without his blindness he will see the truth.

Truth is not what you think it is, it's what you know it is.

Truth can't be defined in man's laws, because there's no truth in man.

Truth is freedom for those who lay down and die. Then they can live with the truth.

Truth avoids those who look for it but when it finds you, you will no longer look for it.

Give a man the truth and it will no longer be true.

He knew scripture pretty well in the wilderness with Jesus

Satan wants people to believe they and the world they perceive with their created senses is real. That's what the thoughts in the mind of Jesus were telling him while God had deserted him for awhile. Once the mind of Christ returned to Jesus, then he understood the difference between the thoughts called Satan and the thoughts called Christ. From that time on, he understood that each word that came from his Father in heaven were from the mind of Christ. He became very confident as he spoke those true words from his Father in heaven.

All of us servants who are used to preach the gospel of God during the millennium reign of Christ had to be tested in the desert within our mind. We learn that the old thoughts of Satan that we were birthed into this world with is the deceiver and that the new words from Christ is what we testify to and learn all the hidden things that man cannot see such as the tree of life, the invisible source of everything we experience both visibly and invisibly.

Satan has never known what the truth is and those thoughts along with the thoughts that come from the beast will be destroyed on the day of the Lord along with all the flesh of man.

Loyal
Sometimes a hypothetical question will arise. Something like... what's more important.. faith or love? (The answer to this is in 1 Cor 13)

But which is more important truth or love? That one is trickier.

I would say truth.
We can love... ourselves, our families, even other people.. and still go to hell.
In fact we are quite capable of loving people into hell.

But I don't think we can "truth" ourselves or other people into hell.
Oh we can certainly reject the truth (so can others). We can deny it, replace it, try to disqualify it... but in the end, the truth is still the truth.

God may love everyone, but everyone isn't going to heaven. The truth of your beliefs and deeds will be exposed one day.
The truth will outweigh love on that day. God may love them, but they will still go into the lake of fire.

Loyal
Sometimes a hypothetical question will arise. Something like... what's more important.. faith or love? (The answer to this is in 1 Cor 13)

I would say truth.
We can love... ourselves, our families, even other people.. and still go to hell.
In fact we are quite capable of loving people into hell.

But I don't think we can "truth" ourselves or other people into hell.
Oh we can certainly reject the truth (so can others). We can deny it, replace it, try to disqualify it... but in the end, the truth is still the truth.

God may love everyone, but everyone isn't going to heaven. The truth of your beliefs and deeds will be exposed one day.
The truth will outweigh love on that day. God may love them, but they will still go into the lake of fire.

But, can you truly have love without faith? Can you have love without truth? Too many people these days have the wrong idea about what love is, and so they lie to people thinking that is love, but it isn't. Lies are not loving and they are never kind, so love is truth and truth is love. We can't separate love, truth, and faith, in other words, for we cannot also have faith and truth without love - first God's love for us, then our love for him and then our love for our fellow humans. They all work together. But if we know truth, and we expound truth, but we don't do it in love, or we don't love others, what good is it? Or, if we don't live truth, but all we do is just pontificate truth, but we fail to love others, it isn't much use, is it? Yet, God's Word will never return void (empty). It will accomplish his purposes, even if those telling the truth don't do it in love, or in sincerity or for the right reasons. Sue

Loyal
But, can you truly have love without faith? Can you have love without truth?

Good questions.
Yet can we say only Christians are capable of love? Love without faith? Faith in what/who?

Love without truth? I'm sure there are many unsaved people who love their families and would even die for them.

Loyal
Good questions.
Yet can we say only Christians are capable of love? Love without faith? Faith in what/who?

Love without truth? I'm sure there are many unsaved people who love their families and would even die for them.

Well, I was speaking of agape (God-like) love which comes from God and which those of us who are believers in Jesus have now living within us, because God is love. I was speaking from a Christian perspective of how faith, truth and love all co-exist together and of how they are interdependent.

Non-Christians don't have agape love, but they can love with human love, so yes, all people regardless of faith in Jesus Christ can love one another with human love, but even that comes from God, who is our creator. He gave us the ability to love one another.

But, even with human love, if we lie to people, that is not love. If we are faithless to people, that also is not love.

Loyal
Well, I was speaking of agape (God-like) love

I agree with everything you've said here, but even God with agape love, will let those who choose the lake of fire over Him... go there.
Maybe part of agape love is letting people make choices for themselves. But I personally believe it's also sharing the truth to those we "love".

Active

of the truth.

Good thread there my friend. I love the Truth, and I love folk who tell the truth. They can be trusted. Truth and trust seem to go together.

Loyal
I suspect Satan knows the truth
To be aware of something and to know that same thing are not the same. Similarly consider these verses

Jas 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Jas 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Remember that Jesus said this:

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die." John 11:26

James meant something difference when he used the word, "believe" than what Jesus meant.

When someone really knows the truth and disobeys it he becomes reprobate with no possibility of redemption. This, I believe, is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. This is why, I believe, we speak speak a lot about living by faith rather than by knowledge. When we know something rather than believe it, we must be more careful that we do it right.

We do know some things about God and His Way while other things we only believe as it were by faith.

Until we have become overcomers like Jesus we cannot always tell the difference between what we only believe and what we really know. God, of course, can tell where we are and judges accordingly.

As we grow closer to God, our knowledge will increase as our faith is replaced:

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2

Staff Member

Why must one choose? I would not separate the two. For to do so, would be to pick an attribute that we see of God and state that one is more important than another.

Each can be argued and has been as seen here by being added to. We start with truth, love, added is faith, how about mercy, grace.....and the list goes on.

Dissect each and see how they contribute and complement each other to the whole of who we should be in Christ Jesus is my suggestion. I'll add a couple of verses that to me bring them together. I'm sure others can be added, to unify aspects that as believers we should promote in each other. These of cause first require that one acknowledge the Divinity of Jesus.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6
Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8

You will bring much to the banquet table discussion dear brother!

Always with the Love and Truth that can only be found in Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
As we grow closer to God, our knowledge will increase as our faith is replaced:

Hi amadeus2,
I am not sure what you mean by our faith will be replaced?

Seems to me if our knowledge in the things of God increase, then our Faith will grow stronger and more sure.

Blessings
W4F

Loyal
Hi amadeus2,
I am not sure what you mean by our faith will be replaced?

Seems to me if our knowledge in the things of God increase, then our Faith will grow stronger and more sure.

Blessings
W4F
Yes, both knowledge and faith will be growing. But those things in which we have only faith rather than knowledge will be come clearer to us until we know them. Remember Jesus is the "finisher" of our faith [see Heb 12:2]. When it is completely finished then will it not be knowledge? As our knowledge increases in one area in another our faith will be increased. Jesus did not live by faith. He saw and He knew. Are we not become like Him?

Loyal
Yes, both knowledge and faith will be growing. But those things in which we have only faith rather than knowledge will be come clearer to us until we know them. Remember Jesus is the "finisher" of our faith [see Heb 12:2]. When it is completely finished then will it not be knowledge? As our knowledge increases in one area in another our faith will be increased. Jesus did not live by faith. He saw and He knew. Are we not become like Him?
Thank you for clearing that up for me.
Have a great week
Blessings
W4F

Loyal
Why must one choose? I would not separate the two. For to do so, would be to pick an attribute that we see of God and state that one is more important than another.

That's the whole point here. They really should be one and the same (at least for believers).
That statement was really addressed to non-believers who can have love without the truth, and truth without love.

Loyal
As our knowledge increases in one area in another our faith will be increased. Jesus did not live by faith. He saw and He knew. Are we not become like Him?

There is a real danger in applying worldly philosophy to theology.
For example truth and knowledge are not the same thing.

I could have a lot of knowledge about evolution, I could show you pictures, charts, bones, and quotes from hundreds of sources.
But that doesn't make it the truth.
I could have a lot of knowledge about why it's OK to be homosexual, and how this study and that analysis shows that transgender
people are more socially healthy than the rest of us.
But that doesn't make it truth.

There are many who claim to have knowledge about many worldly things, there are even college classes on all these things
that give you "knowledge", but that doesn't mean everything they teach you is truth. In fact they even acknowledge that
their version of truth is "relative". The Bible distinguishes between worldly wisdom and wisdom from God. All wisdom isn't the same.

1 Cor 13:8; says knowledge will eventually be done away with.

As far as Jesus NOT living by faith to be our example. This is borderline heresy.

Rom 1:17; For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “But the righteous man shall live by faith.”

Gal 3:11; Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, “The righteous man shall live by faith.”

Heb 10:38; But My righteous one shall live by faith; And if he shrinks back, My soul has no pleasure in him.

Heb 11:6; And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Rom 4:9; Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, “Faith was credited to Abraham as righteousness.”

Loyal
There is a real danger in applying worldly philosophy to theology.
For example truth and knowledge are not the same thing.

I do not disagree!

While I try never to apply human or worldly philosophy to my way to of life, it still exists in me in a measure. For this reason I have sinned since I have believed in God. Hopefully that "old man" portion will continue to decrease even as the "new man" part increases.

I could have a lot of knowledge about evolution, I could show you pictures, charts, bones, and quotes from hundreds of sources.
But that doesn't make it the truth.
I could have a lot of knowledge about why it's OK to be homosexual, and how this study and that analysis shows that transgender
people are more socially healthy than the rest of us.
But that doesn't make it truth.

We know [believe] that Jesus is truth, but how well do we know that truth?

There are many who claim to have knowledge about many worldly things, there are even college classes on all these things
that give you "knowledge", but that doesn't mean everything they teach you is truth. In fact they even acknowledge that
their version of truth is "relative". The Bible distinguishes between worldly wisdom and wisdom from God. All wisdom isn't the same.

No disagreement.

1 Cor 13:8; says knowledge will eventually be done away with.
Yes, and just a few verses later this is written:

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

It would certainly seem that there is more than one kind of knowledge according to scripture.

As far as Jesus NOT living by faith to be our example. This is borderline heresy.

Rom 1:17; For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “But the righteous man shall live by faith.”

Gal 3:11; Now that no one is justified by the Law before God is evident; for, “The righteous man shall live by faith.”

Heb 10:38; But My righteous one shall live by faith; And if he shrinks back, My soul has no pleasure in him.

Heb 11:6; And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

Rom 4:9; Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, “Faith was credited to Abraham as righteousness.”

Jesus' example showed where we are to be, but the only way to get there is by faith, but is not perfect knowledge or perfect vision where we are heading? Is a perfect faith, knowledge? Did Jesus in this respect have less than perfect knowledge?

As to heresy, what is heresy? Can anyone be guilty of heresy if he doesn't know what he is doing? The Apostle Paul before he met Jesus on the road to Damascus certainly had faith that what he was doing was the right thing when he persecuted the followers of Jesus, did he not? He was guilty of wrongful actions, but certainly not heresy for he did not know any better. Jesus showed him a better way.