• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

The way that I've seen this verse used ( here on TJ too ) concerns me. Was the person that Jesus was referring to in this verse from Matthew a true or false prophet? What makes up a false prophet? Apparently they weren't really a Christian in the end, but had this person ever been a Christian? Do you believe that someone who isn't really a true Christian could ever have the gift of prophecy? Did this person ever truly have the gift of prophecy or were they just faking it the whole time?

Hopefully I've made my question clear enough. Feel free to post your thoughts on it, but let's try to keep the discussion from getting too heated. Thanks.

Loyal
Can you do any of the above without Jesus/God? Cast you cast out devils on your own power?
( Acts 19:14-16; ) some people tried doing this.

Can you do "many wonderful works" in Jesus name without Jesus?
There are false prophets, truly. Some of them now are doing things in "Jesus' name". I feel we've seen many a false teacher/prophet on television, on TalkJesus
or perhaps even sat in one of their services.

The key to Matt 7:21, seems to be the very next verse.

Matt 7:23; "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

In fact Jesus continues talking about this for the next few verses. This is how He ends the sermon of the Mount.

Matt 7:24; "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock.
Matt 7:25; "And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock.
Matt 7:26; "Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.
Matt 7:27; "The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell--and great was its fall."
Matt 7:28; When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching;
Matt 7:29; for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

1 Jn 3:9; No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1 Jn 3:24; The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

In the sermon on the mount, Jesus specifically mentions at least 7 of the commandments.
He ends it with a warning about not keeping them and telling those who "practice" lawlessness he doesn't know them.
John 3:9; says those who know God don't "practice" sin.

There is a difference between the occasional sin we do, and intentionally "practicing" sin. Athletes and musicians who practice something do it often
and intentionally do it to get better at it.

1 Jn 3:24; says the way we know Jesus abides n us, is whether we keep His commandments or not.
John 14:21; Jesus says He will reveal himself to those who keep His commandments.
John 15:10; Jesus says we will abide in His love if we keep the commandments.

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

The way that I've seen this verse used ( here on TJ too ) concerns me. Was the person that Jesus was referring to in this verse from Matthew a true or false prophet? What makes up a false prophet? Apparently they weren't really a Christian in the end, but had this person ever been a Christian? Do you believe that someone who isn't really a true Christian could ever have the gift of prophecy? Did this person ever truly have the gift of prophecy or were they just faking it the whole time?

Hopefully I've made my question clear enough. Feel free to post your thoughts on it, but let's try to keep the discussion from getting too heated. Thanks.

At Matt 7:21-23---Jesus makes it clear---no matter what one thinks they do or have done out of their love for Jesus, if they practice a sin, he will not accept them.
It is a very wise course to learn every utterance from God as Jesus said we should live by--then they will know what God dislikes. and turn from it.

Thank you, BAC, kjw47 for your replies. So, both of you are saying that you do not believe that the person from Matthew 7:22 ever truly prophesied or cast out demons, it was just something they were claiming to have done?

Do you understand what I am trying to ask here? Some people seem to attempt to use this verse to show how "works" cannot get a person into Heaven. The people in Matthew 7 didn't come to Jesus and say that they gave a lot to the poor and saved a bunch of little children from a fire. Twice. They said that they cast out demons and prophesied in his name and I am not sure that I believe that those people were telling the truth about what they had done, or they had fallen away from God after they had done them and was hoping that the works they had once done in his name would somehow make up for that(?). There are verses in the Bible that lead me to believe that a person that is not right with the Lord cannot do these kinds of miraculous works. In Jesus' name, anyway. This one for example:

Mark 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.

Now, maybe I am taking too much from the above verse, but when I sit down and read the Bible I try to take every verse, Old and New Testament, into account when trying to decide on the correct interpretation of a thing. If even one verse seems to contradict something then I look some more.

Were the people from Matthew 7:22 false prophets? If so, why? Because they "worked"? Because they took too much pride in the "work"? Because they were lying about having done anything in the Lord's name to begin with? Or, was it just simply the message that they preached while they were out prophesying and casting out demons?

Active
Matthew 7
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.​

False prophets really prophecy. Many, if not all of them, have spirits of divination, or just lying spirits, that feed them much of what they say.

Revelation 13:
11 And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. 12 And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. 13 And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, 14 And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by [the means of] those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. 15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.​

The Magicians of Egypt matched moses miracle for miracle at first. They pulled off some amazing things by the power of witchcraft. No one can compete with God when he really demonstrates his power though. One true prophet of God can take on 800 prophets of Baal if the Lord is with him.

Here's the complicated issue though. These false prophets Jesus is talking about are often in real positions of authority over God's sheep. They are pastors, teachers, evangelists, men and women who do crusades. Because of the position they are in, God very well may at times actually use them to preach the gospel and bring people to Christ, may very well actually use them to heal people, may actually prophesy through them (despite themselves), and may actually use them to cast demons out of people. Balaam is an example of this I believe. The Holy Spirit prophesied through the High Priest before Jesus's crucifixion as well.

Isaiah 55
8 For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD. 9 For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.​

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I think the issue can be a little more complicated than we would like it to be. At the end of the day, many men and women we thought were defenders of the faith, doing wonderful things for God, will turn out to instead be the servants of Satan, and end up being thrown in to the lake of fire.

Blessings,

Travis

Okay, in light of your post, Travis, how do you tell a false prophet from one that is not? And, do you, personally, know someone that has these gifts? Prophecy and the ability to cast out demons at will?

Active
Okay, in light of your post, Travis, how do you tell a false prophet from one that is not?

Not saying I always can. But, here are some things that the scriptures say!

Matthew 7
15 Beware of false prophets,which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Galatians 5
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Hebrews 5
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, [even] those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Blessings,

Travis

Active
And, do you, personally, know someone that has these gifts? Prophecy and the ability to cast out demons at will?

Sorry, you must have added this last part afterward.

You might look up 'Prophet' TB Joshua. He is working the people with signs and wonders. I consider him a false prophet.
There's a man named Bob Larson I think it is. I'm pretty sure he's working for the enemy. He's an example.
There's classic examples like Oral Roberts, William Branham, Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, and many others.

Hope that's helpful.

Blessings,

Travis

Thanks for your responses, Travis.

I did add that last question after I posted. Sorry.

Administrator
Staff Member
Since there's been some helpful and detailed replies already, I'd like to share this Exegesis from IPV also.

Discern by Fruits, Not Gifts
True prophets obey Jesus' teachings. Like the false prophets of old (Jer 6:13-14; 8:11; 23:13-17; Ezek 13:1-16; Mic 3:5-8), those Matthew warns against in 7:15 probably proclaim a gospel of false peace, an easy way that neglects God's true demands (vv. 13-14; France 1985:147). Matthew elsewhere warns against false prophets (7:22; 24:5, 24) and apostate Christians and leaders in the church (24:12, 48-51). Jesus elsewhere applies the present denunciations of fruitless trees against the religious leaders of his day (12:33; compare 3:8, 10; 21:19; 23:3), but because his words in this context address prophets (which most Pharisees thought no longer existed in their day), one suspects that Matthew wants Christians of his own generation to take notice.

Jesus' words are not only polemic against enemies of the faith from the outside; they are also warnings to us who claim to be Jesus' followers. We dare not restrict the title "hypocrites" to Jesus' religious contemporaries (6:2, 5, 16; pace Did. 8:1-2); God's subsequent servants may share the same fate (24:51). This passage presents us with several lessons.

False Prophets and Their Teaching Pose a Real Danger to Believers (7:15)

They are like hungry wolves who disguise themselves as sheep. People in Jesus' day could disguise themselves in sheepskins in the hope of being taken for stray dogs or other animals (Jos. War 3.192). Jesus' image is, however, more graphic than that, employing hyperbole: wolves do not wear clothes, and changing one's hide was a metaphor for the impossible (Jer 13:23; Jub. 37:20). By coming in sheep's clothing, the false prophets pretend to be sheep (Acts 20:29-30) though they are in fact hungry wolves who have come to prey on sheep (compare Mt 10:16).

Some denominations that once evangelized peoples and held orthodox teachings now encompass a much wider range of moral and spiritual teaching, and many movements that remain orthodox in general nevertheless remain susceptible to dangerous winds of doctrine. We who should be challenging unjust reasoning in the world instead often find ourselves fighting a defensive battle within our own ranks. For the sake of the flock, we must exercise discernment, especially within the church.

Evaluate Prophets by Their Fruits (7:16-20) These false prophets (v. 15) claim to have prophesied, exorcised and effected miracles by Jesus' name (v. 22). Although Matthew is surely charismatic in a positive way (compare, for example, 5:12; 10:8, 40-42; 23:34), here he challenges false Christian charismatics whose disobedience Christ will finally reveal (10:26). Although some could prophesy and work signs by demonic power (for example, 2 Thess 2:9; Rev 13:13-16; compare Jer 2:8; 23:13), one could also manifest genuine gifts of God's Spirit yet be lost (1 Sam 19:24).

Once we acknowledge that God can inspire people to speak his message (and this would apply to gifts like teaching as well as prophecy), how do we discern his genuine representatives? Like his follower Paul, Jesus subordinates the gifts of the Spirit to the fruit of the Spirit (compare 1 Cor 13) and submission to Jesus' lordship (1 Cor 12:1-3). Jesus' words about fruit thus refer to repentant works (Mt 7:21; 3:8, 10), recalling Jesus' ethical teachings in 5:21-7:12.

Much of today's church may miss out on prophecy altogether, which is not a healthy situation (1 Thess 5:20). Prophecy remains a valid gift until Jesus' return (1 Cor 13:9-12), and we should seek it for our churches (1 Cor 14:1, 39; Grudem 1982; Keener 1996:79-130). But wherever the real is practiced, the counterfeit will also appear (a phenomenon I as a charismatic have witnessed frequently; compare 1 Cor 14:29; 1 Thess 5:21).

An adulterous minister may exhibit many divinely bestowed gifts-sometimes because God is answering the prayers of people in the congregation-but such ministers are unworthy of our trust as God's spokespersons as long as they continue in sin. Yet Jesus wants us to look even closer to home. Do we become so occupied with "the Lord's work" that we lose sight of the precious people God has called us to serve? Do we become so preoccupied with our mission and our gifts that we neglect a charitable attitude toward our families and other people around us?

Yet the image of the tree and the fruit also reminds us that behavior flows from character, and in Christian teaching character comes through being born again rather than merely through self-discipline (see Odeberg 1964:72). Our own best efforts at restructuring unregenerate human nature are doomed to failure (Gal 5:19-21). By contrast, a person transformed by and consistently dependent on the power of God's Spirit will live according to the traits of God's character because of God's empowerment, just as trees bear fruit according to their own kind (Gal 5:18, 22-23).

God Will Expose Our Hearts on the Day of Judgment (7:21-23)

Some people claim to accept Jesus as a great teacher, but no more than a teacher. Yet a central component of Jesus' teaching is the revelation of his identity, and in this passage as in Matthew 25:31-46, Jesus claims the role of final judge.

Churchgoers today are no more automatically saved than those who ate with Jesus in the past (as is often noted, attending a church no more makes one a Christian than entering a garage makes one a car). Not those who claim to "know" Jesus but only those who do the Father's will have any claim on Jesus (12:50). Jesus thus borrows biblical language for righteous enmity toward the wicked (Ps 6:8; 119:115) to banish them from his presence (Mt 7:23; compare 7:19). I never knew you is a formal repudiation of the person (25:12; compare 26:70, 72, 74; France 1985:149).

Administrator
Staff Member
Here's a very good explanation from GQ as well.

Question: "Does Matthew 7:21-23 mean that believers can lose salvation? How can a person perform miracles in Jesus’ name if Jesus never knew them, i.e. they were not saved?"

Read more: Does Matthew 7:21-23 mean that believers can lose salvation?

The two questions most frequently asked about Matthew 7:21-23 come about because the verses seem to contradict two strongly held beliefs—one cannot lose his salvation and anyone who performs miracles must be from God. As we will see, one of these beliefs is based on scriptural truth and the other is not. While the true believer cannot lose his salvation, not all miracles are performed by true believers.

Jesus is speaking here near the end of His Sermon on the Mount (chapters 5–7). Beginning in verse 13, Jesus discourses at length on the subject of true faith vs. false professions, using the technique of contrast and comparison. Verses 13-14 describe two paths on which people walk through life, the broad road that leads to eternal destruction and the narrow path that leads to eternal life. He introduces here the concept of the “many” and the “few” that He will return to in verses 21-23.

In verses 15-18, He again contrasts the two types of people by using imagery well known to those in an agrarian culture—sheep and wolves, grapes/figs and thorn bushes/thistles, good trees and bad trees, good fruit and bad fruit. Having established the idea of dichotomy in the minds of His hearers, He goes on to apply these truths to the spiritual state of all within His hearing. Jesus presents the two types of people who will come to Him on “that day,” meaning the last day, the day of judgment, the great day fixed by God and unknown to angels and men which will be terrible to some and joyful to others. All will be seeking to enter the kingdom of heaven, but some will be turned away and will react in utter confusion and disappointment as what they thought was their “ticket” to heaven turns out to be worthless. These are those who prophesied in the name of Jesus, meaning either foretelling things to come or preaching the Word in His name. They have even performed miraculous acts such as driving out demons and perhaps healings and other miracles, but all to no avail. But their works were done for their own glory, not His, and were nothing more than “filthy rags” (Isaiah 64:6). In contrast, those who will enter heaven will not do so based on their miraculous achievements and accomplishments or works of any sort, but solely on the basis of obedience to the will of God.

But who are these unfortunate people and how can they do miracles unless they are doing them by God’s power? We know several things about them from the text. First, we know there are many of them, because it is many who are on the broad road to eternal death, as compared to the relative few who have found the narrow path to eternal life. Second, they claim the name of Christ. These are not Muslims, Buddhists, or atheists. These are those who would gladly say, “I am a Christian.” They work their works in Jesus’ name. They pray and heal in Jesus’ name. They preach and teach in Jesus’ name. They build huge churches and ministries in Jesus’ name. They claim a relationship with Him. But they are none of His. In fact, He sends them away, not with commendation for their good works in His name (and many good works are done in Jesus’ name by false professors), but by disowning their every deed and word. He “never” knew them, nor did they ever truly know Him. They weren’t Christians who lost their salvation. They were never part of the elect of God, chosen before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:4), set apart and sanctified by the Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Timothy 2:21), and justified by faith (Ephesians 2:8-9). The ones Christ puts away from Himself with harsh words of condemnation, calling them doers of evil, never came to Him in faith, despite their outward good works and miracles.

Then if these do not belong to God and never did, how do we explain their ability to perform miracles? Can those who do not have the Spirit actually cast out demons and perform miraculous healings and spectacular signs and wonders? There are two possible explanations for the ability of the ungodly to perform such acts. One is that some miracles are done by the power of Satan and his demonic host. They are incredibly powerful beings who can manipulate physical elements to their own ends. Consider the power God allowed Satan to use to afflict Job—lightning, wind (possibly a tornado), and boils all over his body (Job 1:16, 19, 2:7). These are certainly miraculous events. Exodus 7 describes the magicians and sorcerers of Egypt whose “secret arts” impressed many, but clearly these were not men of God. In the New Testament, Paul confronted Elymas the Jewish sorcerer and false prophet, calling him a child of the devil, full of all kinds of deceit and trickery (Acts 13:6-11). So we see that not all miracles come from God and not all who perform miracles in the name of Jesus are truly His. He calls them evildoers because the miracles they perform have evil as their source. In fact, Jesus warned us to be on guard against their deception as the end times draw near (Matthew 24:24).

Second, there are times when God, in His sovereign will and for His purposes, will empower unbelievers to perform miraculous deeds. The prime example is Judas who, along with the other disciples, preached the gospel, healed the sick, cast out demons, cleansed lepers, and even raised the dead. There is nothing to indicate that Judas didn’t have the same power as the other eleven, although he was never a true disciple of Christ. He was a deceiver and the “son of perdition” (John 17:12). Yet God gave him the power to do miracles for His own glory and to accomplish His will.

Jesus goes on to describe those who will be able to call upon His name on the day of judgment. It will be those who hear His words and put them into practice, the same ones referred to in verse 21 as those who obediently do the will of the Father in heaven. True believers are the good trees that produce good fruit (Galatians 5:22-23), the true sheep who look to Christ, depend on Him, commit themselves to Him, trust in Him, and believe on Him for righteousness, salvation, and eternal life. These are the ones who will enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Thank you, BAC, kjw47 for your replies. So, both of you are saying that you do not believe that the person from Matthew 7:22 ever truly prophesied or cast out demons, it was just something they were claiming to have done?

Satan can cast out demons as well. After all he transforms into an angel of light( 2Cor 11:12-15) he even has teachers posing as Jesus' teachers.
On the otherhand as well--maybe that one was standing strong while he did those things, and then returned to sin after.
Solomon ,God called him the wisest man who ever lived, yet God counciled him --do not take foreign wives--but he did and fell to serving false gods at the end.

kjw, when you say that Satan casts out demons as well, I think of this scripture:

Matthew 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
Matthew 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
Matthew 12:26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
Matthew 12:27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
Matthew 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
Matthew 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
Matthew 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

because I have always thought that what Jesus was saying here was that Satan would not cast himself out because it would be like destroying his own kingdom(?).

ATP

Did this person ever truly have the gift of prophecy or were they just faking it the whole time?

Faking? Yes and No.
They were false prophets, nonbelievers in the end lying to themselves and also God.
Keep in mind, this was written before resurrection.
There was no indwelling of the Holy Spirit just yet.
The Grace of God worked differently before and after resurrection.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible - Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?'

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord,.... That is, in the last day, the day of judgment, the great and famous day, fixed by God, unknown to angels and men, which will be terrible to some, and joyful to others; the day in which the faithful ministers of the Gospel shall be owned by Christ, and received into the kingdom of heaven: "many", not of the common people only, but of the preachers of the word, who have filled up the highest station in the church below; not one, or two, or a few of them only, but many of them "will say to me"; to Christ, who will appear then as the judge of quick and dead, to which he is ordained by his Father,

Lord, Lord; not "my Lord, my Lord", as the Syriac version reads it; for they will not be able to claim any interest in him, though they will be obliged to own his dominion, power, and authority over them. The word is repeated to show their importunity, sense of danger, the confusion they will be in, the wretched disappointment they will have; and therefore speak as persons amazed and confounded, having expected they would have been the first persons that should be admitted into heaven. Their pleas follow;

have we not prophesied in thy name? This may be understood either of foretelling things to come; which gift wicked men may have, who have never had any experience of the grace of God, as Balaam, and Caiaphas, and others; or rather of preaching the word, which is sometimes called prophesying, Romans 12:6 and which may be done in the name of Christ, pretending mission and authority from him, and to be preachers of him, and yet be no better than "sounding brass", or "a tinkling cymbal"; yea, nothing at all as to true grace, or spiritual experience.

And in thy name have cast out devils? Diabolical possessions were very frequent in the times of Christ; no doubt but they were suffered, that Jesus might have an opportunity of showing his power over Satan, by dispossessing him from the bodies, as well as the souls of men; and of giving proof of his deity, divine sonship and Messiahship: and this power of casting out devils was given to others, not only to the twelve apostles, among whom Judas was, who had the same power with the rest, and to the seventy disciples; but even to some who did not follow him, and his disciples, Mark 9:38 and some did this in the name of Jesus, who do not appear to have any true faith in him, and knowledge of him; as the vagabond Jews, exorcists, and the seven sons of Sceva, Acts 19:13. An awful consideration it is, that men should be able to cast out devils, and at last be cast to the devil.

And in thy name done many wonderful works? that is, many miracles; not one, or a few only, but many; such as speaking with tongues, removing mountains, treading on serpents and scorpions, and drinking any deadly thing without hurt, and healing all manner of diseases and sicknesses. Judas, for one, was capable of pleading all these things; he had the gift of preaching, and a call from Christ to it, and yet a castaway; he had the power of casting out devils, and yet could not prevent the devil from entering into him; he could perform miracles, do wonders in Christ's name, and yet, at last, was the betrayer of him. These pleas and arguments will be of no use to him, nor of any avail to any at the great day. It may be observed, that these men lay the whole stress of their salvation upon what they have done in Christ's name; and not on Christ himself, in whom there is salvation, and in no other: they say not a syllable of what Christ has done and suffered, but only of what they have done. Indeed, the things they instance in, are the greatest done among men; the gifts they had were the most excellent, excepting the grace of God; the works they did were of an extraordinary nature; whence it follows, that there can be no salvation, nor is it to be expected from men's works: for if preaching the word, which is attended with so much study, care, and labour, will not be a prevailing argument to admit men into the kingdom of heaven; how can it be thought that ever reading, or hearing, or any other external performance of religion, should bring persons thither?

Active
kjw, when you say that Satan casts out demons as well, I think of this scripture:

Matthew 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
Matthew 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
Matthew 12:26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
Matthew 12:27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
Matthew 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
Matthew 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
Matthew 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

because I have always thought that what Jesus was saying here was that Satan would not cast himself out because it would be like destroying his own kingdom(?).

Satan can cast out demons pretty easy. They take orders from him. So, if one of Satan's higher ups, operating through some human being tells lower order demons to leave a person, they will probably leave, all as some sort of dog and pony show to confuse people. Nothing good will come about because of it though, methinks. Nothing in Matthew 12 says explicitly Satan can't cast demons out, just saying.

Peace,

Travis

Active
Judas, for one, was capable of pleading all these things; he had the gift of preaching, and a call from Christ to it, and yet a castaway; he had the power of casting out devils, and yet could not prevent the devil from entering into him; he could perform miracles, do wonders in Christ's name, and yet, at last, was the betrayer of him. These pleas and arguments will be of no use to him, nor of any avail to any at the great day.
Totally forgot about Judas. Great point.

Satans house will not stand it is divided. He does whatever it takes to deceive. He transforms into an angel of light--so if it took casting out a demon to fool one into being mislead, he surely would. Those who believe in Jesus surely must believe --there is a certain religion terrorizing many now in these days--they are not of Jesus and they are divided--The Jewish religion is divided--there are 33,000 claiming to be Christian religions they are divided.1Cor 1:10) surely means there is no division--being one with Jesus and his Father, surely means--no division.

Active
Second, there are times when God, in His sovereign will and for His purposes, will empower unbelievers to perform miraculous deeds. The prime example is Judas who, along with the other disciples, preached the gospel, healed the sick, cast out demons, cleansed lepers, and even raised the dead. There is nothing to indicate that Judas didn’t have the same power as the other eleven, although he was never a true disciple of Christ. He was a deceiver and the “son of perdition” (John 17:12). Yet God gave him the power to do miracles for His own glory and to accomplish His will.

Jesus goes on to describe those who will be able to call upon His name on the day of judgment. It will be those who hear His words and put them into practice, the same ones referred to in verse 21 as those who obediently do the will of the Father in heaven. True believers are the good trees that produce good fruit (Galatians 5:22-23), the true sheep who look to Christ, depend on Him, commit themselves to Him, trust in Him, and believe on Him for righteousness, salvation, and eternal life. These are the ones who will enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Consider that Judas was in the troop of 12 following Jesus, an apostle, doing the teachings of Jesus, including duplicating his miracles. Being appointed an apostle by Jesus, how then could Satan over-ride Jesus by giving Judas power to do miracles instead of doing them by the power of God? Could Judas not have done those works by the power of God while walking with Jesus?

That man Judas betrayed Jesus at the end, sold him out for the price of purchase of a common slave in those days. Judas chose for a few hours to accept bondage, in a manner of speaking, then tried to undo his treachery by returning the money. The money could not be returned to the tithe pot from which it came since it had blood of man on it. There was no return for him under the law. There is nothing I know of in scripture to indicate that Judas was a betrayer of Christ while working miracles alongside the other apostles. He did what was commanded, but failed like Peter did, denying Jesus thrice. Consider how long Judas was with Jesus, hearing all his teachings, knowing Jesus quite personally. Yet, by temptation from Satan he became "Son of Perdition" in a matter of hours. Yes, Judas had a weakness for money. Was that a sin unto death? He was offended over the news that Jesus was facing immediate death. So was Peter.

Without the Holy Spirit in him (given at Pentecost), Judas and the other 11 were equally acceptable to God as Abraham. The difference between Judas and Peter was that Peter repented and returned to Jesus, upon living to the benefit of being filled with the Spirit. Judas died in his sin, even though he was convicted of his sin in himself, offering restitution of the slave purchase price.

Had Judas instead fallen at the feet of Jesus in confession, rather than hang himself, I believe he would have been forgiven, though that wouldn't have altered Jesus' destiny. So it is that I believe that the Believer Judas lost all hope of salvation, though he had walked 4 years in that hope.