• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Triune Tribulation

Active
There are three types of tribulation or dealings of the Father in the way of discipline in the wilderness for us. First, tribulation in which we may glory; for instance, suffering for Christ in this evil world (considered evil due to most will remain in unbelief – Matt 7:13, 14—NC). This is different than suffering with Christ. All believers suffer with Him, because they possess Life in Him, and that Life must necessarily suffer in a scene which was suffering to Him (Jhn 15:18-20). If we suffer with Him we shall also reign with Him (2Ti 2:12).

But to some the suffering comes for faithfulness to Christ; it is also looked upon as a gift. “For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake” (Phl 1:29). How far this goes beyond suffering for conscience’ sake! A man to suffer for conscience may be a loser, because he does his business conscientiously: perhaps his profits may not be as large as those who have no conscience in the matter.

But the same man may have found the pathway of a rejected Christ in this evil world, have had grace to turn his feet into the track, and the result may be that he loses his business altogether. The mistake is in judging things merely as right and wrong by conscience. Conscience is never a guide. Paul followed his conscience and persecuted Christ and wasted (interrupted but not hindered—NC) the Church of God.

Following Christ is the only sure pathway, and it is a Christ whom the world has cast out, and whom God has set in glory. Can I have a better treatment from the world that He had? “If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.”

There is a second type of suffering under which I must humble myself. I allude to the suffering of various kinds which comes under God’s righteous government, and from Him as a Father, for evil allowed and unjudged in our ways (i.e. child-training out of disciplinary love—NC). The Father, without respect of persons, judges according to each one’s work (lifestyle—NC), therefore we have to pass the time of our sojourning here (to which judgement applies) in fear” (1Pe 1:17); there is no fear in heaven.

Then there is the third type of tribulation, the tender and merciful order of chastening or discipline, which is more what Paul also had to endure. It is a preventative discipline, because of a tendency to be “puffed up” (2Co 12:7; 1Co 8:1). The Lord knows out heats well; who knows them better? And His dealings are suited to the temperament of each, and to the tendency of each to stray away from Christ, to which each is most liable. “He withdraweth not His eyes from the righteous” (Job 36:7).

His eyes are on them for their good (never to punish but lovingly correct—NC), and the righteous should not withdraw their eyes from Him (in an intentional sense—NC)! “But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord” (2Co 3:18).

– F G Patterson (1832-1887)

List of Plymouth Brethren authors: List of People Mentioned on this Site | Plymouth Brethren Archive