• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Treasures upon earth

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Matthew 6:19-21

Greetings dear brother and sisters

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth

How should Christians apply this verse in a practical way?

Should we have money building up in savings accounts?
Mortgages?
Real Estate?
Expensive cars?

What are treasures upon earth?

Loyal
what a amazing scripture, to me Jesus is saying dont store up wealth on earth because sooner or later its going to be worthless and gone, it might even rob your soul while you do it. You can not take your money with you to heaven, but you can send it ahead.

Then he tells us to lay up in heaven, this is wear real treasure is and will last for ever.

So now the question becomes how do we lay up treasure in heaven?? we all know how to store up treasure on earth dont we?? treasure on earth as Jesus describes, to me is basically things materialism.

For me the cool thing is one way to fight the soul robbing worldly way of materialism is to do the exact opposite of the what the world does , and GIVE IT AWAY, SELL THAT STUFF AND GIVE TO THE POOR THE NEEDY, PARTICIPATE IN ADVANCING THE KINGDOM OF GOD ON EARTH.

Guess what, when we do, Jesus tells us we are laying up treasures in heaven.
Matthew 19:21
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Lots of promises of rewards in heaven in the bible, great study. ANd once you get born again you really dont care all that much about the reward as you do pleasing your heavenly father, yet the promise it still there.

I do think studding rewards with non believers is a great tool to spur interest

Loyal
Mortgages?
Real Estate?
Expensive cars?

you know all these earthly things will be gone sooner or later, another thing these earthly things produce a lot of times is pride and selfishness, and idols. NOT all the time but a lot of the times,

people spend more time researching that car they are going to buy then they do studding the word of God.

people spend more money on themselves then investing in the kingdom

We will be held accountable one day for all the we have been entrusted with, and what we did with it while here on earth.

Loyal
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

Mortgages?
Real Estate?
Expensive cars?

Or should we have a good supply of money for the purpose of blessing those in need?

Staff Member
Or should we have a good supply of money for the purpose of blessing those in need?

Greetings brother @Bendito

But how much do those with good supplies of money really bless those in need?
And how much is kept for themselves and their comfort?

The Bible is pretty clear "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth"

Should we as Christians be blessing the poor with all our excess?

Active

Mortgages?
Real Estate?
Expensive cars?

One can be a beggar on the street and be the guilty party these verses describe. He can have nothing but his heart is set on the things of the earth, though he has nothing. In contrast a Christian can have wealth aplenty and still have his heart set on the things of God and obtaining treasure in Heaven.

We have to live in the world where God placed us. Would it glorify God if I gave away all I had but then everyday had to call someone to give me a ride to work? Or, everyday to find someone to give me a place to stay for the night? Or to borrow money constantly because I gave mine to the poor yesterday? I don't think so. I believe the question is where is our heart in all of it?

Also, as this is found in the Sermon on the Mount, it has direct reference to the Kingdom. And under that gospel, (Matt. 3:2) (Matt. 4:17) (Matt. 10:7), with the King being present, Jesus Christ, they were to take absolutely nothing with them to provide for their needs. (Matt. 10:9-10) But once the rejection by Israel of her King set in, that changed. The cross is in view. Jesus would no longer be physically present with them. So he now tells the disciples, (Luke 22:35-36), "...When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."

Now we are to do all we can to survive in this world that has rejected Jesus Christ, all the while, having our hearts looking to God and Heaven.

I believe another example of this is found in (Joshua 5:11-12). Once Israel entered the promised land, the manna ceased. Why would the manna cease? Why didn't God continue to provide miraculously for their needs? I believe it is because He brought them to the place where they were now responsible to provide for themselves, and to an area where they could.

Quantrill

Staff Member
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. ― Jim Elliot

Active
The first scripture that came to my mind to share was Prov 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children's children, but a sinner's wealth is stored up for the righteous.

In order to leave an inheritance you can't just give all your money away. In order to retire, you also need X amount to live on. Whether by rental property, interest on investments or a reliable retirement fund paying out over X amount of years. Factoring inflation into the equation as well.

I propose that God wants us to be wise with our savings. I don't believe the scripture you quoted speaks to us not investing wisely and living 'comfortably' if we can.

For me Matt 6:19-21 speaks to our focus as 'financial blessing / being looked after' is God's doing Matt 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

Our focus as other's have spoken to is to be on working for God. Not for a new BMW. That new BMW will be naught in heaven. IE Vanity verse modesty.

Active
In contrast a Christian can have wealth aplenty and still have his heart set on the things of God and obtaining treasure in Heaven.
Not so sure about this. There is a line we can cross where nobody will judge us as modest. A Christian must at all times be able to pass that judgement.

Staff Member
Thank you so much for your responses so far brothers @Dave M @Christ4Ever @Quantrill @KingJ @Bendito

However, what are treasures upon earth?

Are they our excesses?

Are they our hoards?

Are they our needless luxuries....the second car, the holiday home etc?

If asked to give them up....would we, could we?

"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth"

Active
Top Poster Of Month
God has a different path for each person. God is the One who knows who can handle money wisely and who Can't.

Lots of people experience both money and not so much of it.

A treasure on earth Could be being able to conceive that much desired baby as a couple.

Or the husband and wife who have a wonderfully close relationship with each other Because they are believers.

There Are those who feel that if a family has two cars --somehow they are living in too much luxury,. For years 'we' had only one car. We had 4 kids and for a long time it worked out fine.
And Then we got in a better situation financially and I was able to have a car of my own. Usually used cars in good condition. But my husband would have a car for His job and I could take the kids to school in My car. Very modest cars, too. But nice looking.

And some people Do have a holiday home. We never did. Didn't feel a Need to . But if a couple has a stressful job and they can afford a cottage on a quiet lake. Fine. As long as they're not enjoying the beer and cigaretts in the process or skipping church.

I was a pastor's wife for a while -- years ago -- the idea seemed to be to 'keep the pastor poor' and he'll always be 'humble'. Well -- maybe More to the point-- congregations were supposed to meet the needs Of the pastor. And pastors usually Were modest and humble people. The pastor Should be on the same economic level as their congregants. Visit with the people --know your people.

Treasures here on earth would be those accepting Christ. Enjoying Christian fellowship out on the boat or the bbq at the lake house. Have the deacons and wifes out with you.

Active
Top Poster Of Month
Cars and homes Are investments that Do need to be considered carefully.

Active
Not so sure about this. There is a line we can cross where nobody will judge us as modest. A Christian must at all times be able to pass that judgement.
So? What do I care what the world judges me as? The world will judge you if you are poor as the scum of the earth. If you are a rich Christian, then they judge you as living for only money. It is idiocy. A Christian can be poor and a Christian can be wealthy. It all depends on where there heart is.

I guess you believe the only true Christians are the middle class? Modest? Please.

Quantrill

Active
Top Poster Of Month
@KiingJ

A believer Should be dressing modestly and acting in a Godly way. But not because we'll be judged for it. But because Everyone should be taught modesty and Godliness.

Active
So? What do I care what the world judges me as? The world will judge you if you are poor as the scum of the earth. If you are a rich Christian, then they judge you as living for only money. It is idiocy. A Christian can be poor and a Christian can be wealthy. It all depends on where there heart is.

I guess you believe the only true Christians are the middle class? Modest? Please.

Quantrill
The world judges us everyday as we stand out among them. Modesty is a Christian quality. It is Christianity 101. Middle class no. A Christian can be rich and yet modest.

I agree with ''it all depends where the heart is''. If we are not modest everyone can grasp where our heart is.

Active
@KiingJ

A believer Should be dressing modestly and acting in a Godly way. But not because we'll be judged for it. But because Everyone should be taught modesty and Godliness.
God will judge us. The unsaved judge us all the time. If a Christian needs to be taught the need for Godliness and modesty I would propose they re-visit their born again experience.

Active
Thank you so much for your responses so far brothers @Dave M @Christ4Ever @Quantrill @KingJ @Bendito

Are they our excesses?

Are they our hoards?

''where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but.''

Moth destroys luxury clothing. Rust, ornaments and jewelry. Thieves break in and steal anything of material value.

I don't believe all excesses, collections and holiday homes need to be given up.

We need to read the line you quoted carefully. It is not saying ''do no have treasures''. It says do not ''store up''. IE Don't make storing up treasures on earth a pursuit. So, I guess excess of treasures is a red light. Two to three holiday homes. Ten diamond rings.

Active

Are they our excesses?

Are they our hoards?

Treasures on earth are anything your heart is set on that is earthly.

They don't have to be in excess or hoards. They can be in the things you need, yet your heart is set upon them.

They can be in your only car...your only home.

Could you give them up if asked? Probably not if your heart is set on them.

Quantrill

Loyal

To me Jesus tells us what are treasure is when he says where are heart is.

show me what you think about all the time and what you spend the majority of your money on, and I believe we will find out what is a treasure to us

Staff Member
To me Jesus tells us what are treasure is when he says where are heart is.

show me what you think about all the time and what you spend the majority of your money on, and I believe we will find out what is a treasure to us
Yes amen @Dave M

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
1Timothy 6:10

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Christ4Ever Devotionals 0
E Bible Discussions 29
Dave M Sermons & Podcasts 0