• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Treasures in heaven.

What does treasures in heaven mean?
literal treasures? Or figurative?
Also what good would treasures be in heaven?
will we be buying things? If in heaven there is no suffering or wants. What does it matter if I have few treasures or a ton of them?

Loyal
Maybe the souls / people a person has led to Christ?

Maybe the 'good' things you've done For God.

Maybe by helping missionaries financially or helping provide for particular needs.

The verse you're referring to is Matthew 6: 20 but the preceding verse further explains it "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But ....

so -- it's a contrast between earthly 'treasures' and heavenly. We are Not to get caught up spending money on luxurious things. There's nothing Wrong with having nice things. But , maybe , instead of spending money on a Nice vacation -- you Could help pay kids way to Bible camp or help with VBS supplies. Or maybe there's a family in church that's really struggling financially -- help them through the church Anonymously. If their car is falling apart Maybe help them purchase a better car -- maybe not a New car -- just a more reliable one and make sure they have car insurance / pay it yourself if needed. Annynomously if possible. Or help them by supplying odd-jobs -- pay them for mowing your yard.

Just so we realize that we can't take anything With us when we die.

Loyal
will we be buying things? If in heaven there is no suffering or wants. What does it matter if I have few treasures or a ton of them?

The things in Heaven are Eternal, the things on earth are materialistic.

Matthew 6:19-21 (NIV2011)
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Jesus told us to “store up for yourselves treasures in heaven” (vs 20 above)
He linked this command to the desire of our hearts: (vs 21 above)

Ask yourself what is your most treasured possession, what item do you love most of all? It could be your car, motor bike, house, music collection, money, yourself, etc, etc. Think for a minute what you treasure most, what you would not want to lose.

How would you feel if this item was stolen, or you lost it, or it was flood damaged or destroyed in fire, or some of the examples in scripture above, how would you feel?
You would be gutted. But what happens if you die tonight? What good is/was that materialistic item, it is no good to you, you cannot take them with you, those are your treasures on earth Jesus warns us about. He wants us to get our priorities right, He tells us the way to Heaven, the parables give us a glimpse of what Heaven is like, if you are born again, if you are a saved believer, if Jesus is your Lord, Heaven offers us more than earth ever can.

The things in Heaven are Eternal, they cannot be stolen, they will not rot...

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Bless you

Loyal
although we do not earn our salvation, we do earn our rewards in heaven. The thief on the cross got salvation, but he want have the same rewards waiting for him as the one who devoted his life to serving Christ.

Paul seems to suggest we have a account in heaven that is being added to while we are here on earth

Philippians 4:17
New International Version
Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account.

New Living Translation
I don’t say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness.

English Standard Version
Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.

Berean Study Bible
Not that I am seeking a gift, but I am looking for the fruit that may be credited to your account.

Berean Literal Bible
Not that I seek after the gift, but I seek after the fruit abounding to your account.

New American Standard Bible
Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account.

New King James Version
Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to
your account.

King James Bible
Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.

although we do not earn our salvation, we do earn our rewards in heaven. The thief on the cross got salvation, but he want have the same rewards waiting for him as the one who devoted his life to serving Christ.

Paul seems to suggest we have a account in heaven that is being added to while we are here on earth

Philippians 4:17
New International Version
Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account.

New Living Translation
I don’t say this because I want a gift from you. Rather, I want you to receive a reward for your kindness.

English Standard Version
Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that increases to your credit.

Berean Study Bible
Not that I am seeking a gift, but I am looking for the fruit that may be credited to your account.

Berean Literal Bible
Not that I seek after the gift, but I seek after the fruit abounding to your account.

New American Standard Bible
Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account.

New King James Version
Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the fruit that abounds to
your account.

King James Bible
Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.
It is this that I wish to understand.
the Bible mentions many times of a reward waiting in heaven. I’m curious as to what that means.
if it is a physical reward, I don’t see how value is placed on it in heaven.
to understand the value of something you must be able to comprehend what is of less value.
will we be able to make that distinction in heaven?
If the reward is like a status or a place of value, again, we would need the ability to recognize those in a place of lesser value to recognize those in a higher one.
I apologize if I’m being unclear. My questions come from this stand point.
If in heaven I have no wants, I have no needs, then any physical reward would be of no real value. My happiness would be 100% regardless if I had a large reward or none at all.
In other words, the thief on the cross and the apostle Paul. Odds are they had different rewards awaiting them in heaven. What does that translate to in their day to day existence in heaven. Is one happier then the other? If not, then what does it matter that their rewards were different.
There is a extremely high chance that I’m thinking about this all wrong. It’s why I’m reaching out and asking some question.

Loyal
you know the bible does not mention what the rewards are that I am aware of, other then different crowns we will receive. Also treasures, also what you speak of seems to me could be considered the inheritance of what we all receive

Revelation 2:10
Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.

2 Timothy 4:8
Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

Revelation 3:11
I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.

1 Peter 5:4
And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

Loyal
Yes, there will be crowns we can receive -- I'd looked that up once and wrote it all down -- of course I can't find it now. But it can be 'googled'.

Active

Our reward is a closer relationship with God. This effects what He uses us for in heaven. What He can entrust us with. How far from His throne seat we live.

God will not want envy in heaven. So there will be no ''I gave Bob a Porsche and Joe a VW''. Anyone who thinks this is what heaven will be like is still using their carnal mind to read scripture.

God will do something special and personal for everyone. None excluded. None rewards based.

Loyal
There are 5 crowns we should seek, these are:

- the imperishable crown
- the crown of rejoicing
- the crown of righteousness
- the crown of glory
- the crown of life

All saved believers run the race, but not all get the crown.

Paul shows us what encouraged him, to seek Even the Prospect of an Incorruptible Crown

We are to run the race in such a way that we may obtain the prize, 'The Crown' 'The Crowns'

Below are just a few examples, The Bible is full of them.

Seek the imperishable EVERLASTING CROWN in heaven, not the perishable ones on earth.
Earthly rewards are temporal, a heavenly crown is an eternal reward for doing God's will on earth.
Seek ye first the kingdom of heaven.....
1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NKJV)
24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.
25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown.
26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air.
27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Seek the CROWN of REJOICING (Soul winners Crown)
Philippians 4:1 (NKJV)

1 Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my JOY and CROWN, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved.

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 (NKJV)
19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?
20 For you are our glory and joy.

Matthew 5:12 (NKJV)
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Luke 15:7 (NKJV)
7 I say to you that likewise there will be more JOY in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

Luke 15:7 (NIV2011)
7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more REJOICING in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

Seek the RIGHTEOUS CROWN
2 Timothy 4:8 (NKJV)

8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Matthew 5:17-20 (NKJV)
17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.
18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Seek the CROWN of GLORY

The perfect example
Psalm 8:5 (NKJV)
5 For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor.

1 Peter 5:2-4 (NKJV)

2 Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly;
3 nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock;
4 and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.

Seek the CROWN OF LIFE
The crown of life is not equivalent to eternal life.
Eternal life is the free gift of God to all who believe in Jesus for it.
The crown of life (like all the crowns mentioned in Scripture) is a form of honour and recognition that Jesus bestows upon those who faithfully serve and honour Him.

James 1:12 (NKJV)
12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

Revelation 2:10 (NKJV)
10 Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Blessings

Loyal
there is a passage of scripture that states something like if a earthly father who is evil knows how to give his children rewards o how much more does our heavenly Father know how to give rewards,

dont have time at this moment to look up the scripture but I think maybe our earthly minds cannot even truly understand the greatness of the rewards that wait us.

Loyal
there is a passage of scripture that states something like if a earthly father who is evil knows how to give his children rewards o how much more does our heavenly Father know how to give rewards,

dont have time at this moment to look up the scripture but I think maybe our earthly minds cannot even truly understand the greatness of the rewards that wait us.

Here we are brother, two slightly different explanations one from Matthew and one from Luke, for this reason I also include two Bible translations.

Matthew 7:9-12 (NKJV)
9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?
10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Matthew 7:9-12 (NIV2011)
9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone?
10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?
11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Luke 11:11-13 (NKJV)
11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

Luke 11:11-13 (NIV2011)
11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Blessings

Loyal
Our reward is a closer relationship with God. This effects what He uses us for in heaven. What He can entrust us with. How far from His throne seat we live.

God will not want envy in heaven. So there will be no ''I gave Bob a Porsche and Joe a VW''. Anyone who thinks this is what heaven will be like is still using their carnal mind to read scripture.

God will do something special and personal for everyone. None excluded. None rewards based.

Our reward will be a closer relationship with God, so true brother, and that starts here on earth, but our reward in heaven will be based on what Crowns we have achieved or helped achieve. I add helped achieve here for a reason, many if not hundred pray for a persons salvation, seeds laid and growing, but there are many who believe they are soul winners, they may be the last person before a person comes to Christ, all who have talked, prayed, etc have helped bring a soul to Christ Jesus, God knows all things, each will be rewarded according to His will.

This Crown is an interesting one, I think

Seek the CROWN of REJOICING (Called the Soul winners Crown as it is one of Rejoicing)
Philippians 4:1 (NKJV)

1 Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my JOY and CROWN, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved.

1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 (NKJV)
19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?
20 For you are our glory and joy.

Matthew 5:12 (NKJV)
12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Luke 15:7 (NKJV)
7 I say to you that likewise there will be more JOY in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

Luke 15:7 (NIV2011)
7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more REJOICING in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

Our 'Crowns' will be for what we have done in each race, listed above, according to God's Word. I do not believe they will be crowns like the queen wears for instance, I doubt they will be visible crowns, but I do think on the lines you mention brother... In Heaven/on the New Earth, in the New Jerusalem, the Holy City, which is over 1400 miles square and high, in a single word 'Massive', where God has created a room for us, John 14:2 He has created many mansions, a place for us, our reward may be that we are nearer the throne of Grace.

The topic of 'Crowns' always amazes me, how many people don't know what they are, yet we are expected to seek them, I think I must include, preach them!
We cannot seek them if we don't know what we are to seek.

Matthew 6:33 (NIV2011)
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

I am sure God will do something for all, according to our faith and walk with Christ, we will be blessed.

There will be no envy in heaven brother, that comes from the evil one, all things will be made new, restore and made perfect in every way.

Thank be to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, in Jesus Name. Amen

Loyal
Yes, there will be crowns we can receive -- I'd looked that up once and wrote it all down -- of course I can't find it now. But it can be 'googled'.

Why Google it Sue, Bible it

:smile:

Crowns are what we should seek, I have listed them below.

Crowns are what pastors should preach!

Blessings

Loyal
Just relocated the list I'd found earlier

1 Corinthians 9:24-25 Imperishable crown

11 Timothy 4:8 crown of righteousness

Rev 2:10 and James 1;12 crown of rejoicing

I Peter 5:4 crown of glory

that was from "Compelling Truth" There are several other good sites -- Got Questions is another one.

A thread on them would be interesting. :0

Loyal

Revelation 21 : 5 "Then He who sat on the throne said , "Behold, I make all things new." ..... on to vs 8 "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolators, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

I'd gotten to thinking about all those things listed. God Does forgive us when we ask for forgiveness -- even murdered and sorcerers,etc. Apparently the key is whether it's a 'life-style' OF. We All struggle with 'stuff ' in our lives. But when a person Continues in those activities -- it's outward evidence that there's been no Inward change in a person's heart. One of those things was being cowardly. If a person is Afraid to take a stand for Christ -- that person needs to be lovingly asked if they have accepted Christ as their personal Savior. some people are very shy. And That person can be encouraged to share with people they know -- Sunday School class -- whoever led them To Christ can help them with that. A youth group.

So no, there will be no envy in heaven.

A carnal mind isn't going to understand Scripture -- but faith Does come From Scripture. The Holy Spirit works Through His Word to bring a person to saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Everyone will be in the presence of God in heaven. Well -- the New Jerusalem. Only born-again believers will be there. How far from His throne seat we live? Where exactly do you get that. We Are told in John 14;1-6 is that there Are mansions being prepared for us. But nothing that I've seen about the 'where' / how far from His throne. Just curious.

there are Many things we will find out when we get there. The description given in Rev. 21 and 22 give us a glimpse.

Loyal
Here we are brother, two slightly different explanations one from Matthew and one from Luke, for this reason I also include two Bible translations.

Matthew 7:9-12 (NKJV)
9 Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?
10 Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Matthew 7:9-12 (NIV2011)
9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone?
10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?
11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Luke 11:11-13 (NKJV)
11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

Luke 11:11-13 (NIV2011)
11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Blessings

thank you brother that is exactly what I was referring to, since Jesus tells us to store up treasures (rewards) in heaven, Paul tells us we have a account that gets added to, then Jesus also tells us many times and many ways we can receive reward I get excited, what ever they are we probably cant even appreciate how glorious they will be with our earthly minds.

Loyal
thank you brother that is exactly what I was referring to, since Jesus tells us to store up treasures (rewards) in heaven, Paul tells us we have a account that gets added to, then Jesus also tells us many times and many ways we can receive reward I get excited, what ever they are we probably cant even appreciate how glorious they will be with our earthly minds.

So true brother

Although we cannot work for our salvation, we are to bring glory to God in all we do on earth.

Run the race as Paul puts it, seek to do God's will and aim for the prize, the Crown.

Let us rejoice and give thanks brother, we have every reason to be excited.

The Everlasting/Imperishable Crown
The Crown of Rejoicing
The Crown Righteousness
The Crown of Glory and
The Crown of Life.

Post #9 includes more details

We have every reason to be thankful, when God makes a promise He keeps His promise, but these we have to run the race and aim to win the crowns.

Active
So true brother

Although we cannot work for our salvation, we are to bring glory to God in all we do on earth.

Run the race as Paul puts it, seek to do God's will and aim for the prize, the Crown.

Let us rejoice and give thanks brother, we have every reason to be excited.

The Everlasting/Imperishable Crown
The Crown of Rejoicing
The Crown Righteousness
The Crown of Glory and
The Crown of Life.

Post #9 includes more details

We have every reason to be thankful, when God makes a promise He keeps His promise, but these we have to run the race and aim to win the crowns.
And let no man take thy crown...i believe that is spoken of in Revelation as well. In the letter written to the church in Philadelphia. Amen

Loyal
And let no man take thy crown...i believe that is spoken of in Revelation as well. In the letter written to the church in Philadelphia. Amen

Correct my friend

Revelation 3:11-13 (NKJV)
11 Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown.
12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. And I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.
13 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." '

Active
Revelation 21 : 5 "Then He who sat on the throne said , "Behold, I make all things new." ..... on to vs 8 "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolators, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.

I'd gotten to thinking about all those things listed. God Does forgive us when we ask for forgiveness -- even murdered and sorcerers,etc. Apparently the key is whether it's a 'life-style' OF. We All struggle with 'stuff ' in our lives. But when a person Continues in those activities -- it's outward evidence that there's been no Inward change in a person's heart. One of those things was being cowardly. If a person is Afraid to take a stand for Christ -- that person needs to be lovingly asked if they have accepted Christ as their personal Savior. some people are very shy. And That person can be encouraged to share with people they know -- Sunday School class -- whoever led them To Christ can help them with that. A youth group.

So no, there will be no envy in heaven.

A carnal mind isn't going to understand Scripture -- but faith Does come From Scripture. The Holy Spirit works Through His Word to bring a person to saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Everyone will be in the presence of God in heaven. Well -- the New Jerusalem. Only born-again believers will be there. How far from His throne seat we live? Where exactly do you get that. We Are told in John 14;1-6 is that there Are mansions being prepared for us. But nothing that I've seen about the 'where' / how far from His throne. Just curious.

there are Many things we will find out when we get there. The description given in Rev. 21 and 22 give us a glimpse.
Faith comes from God. As each one of us was given a measure of faith. We took no part on self to have faith, we accepted our measure...God is bigger than me and seeked for more. Then our persistance in seeking and knocking...God blessed us by unveiling the scriptures and faith took a giant leap.
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing, by the Word of God. God lifts the dark veil, and touches our cold, dark hearts. He alone caused mine to glow, He ignited a fire within it and everything and everybody in this world has tried to hinder His work, with Him, in Him, by Him, for Him, by snuffing me out. Well I praise God for it.
All paise, glory and honor be unto God. Amen