• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Too Busy to Pray?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Administrator
Staff Member

Today's Devotional - June 18

Too Busy to Pray?

He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul.
Psalm 23:2-3

Recommended Reading
John 14:1-6

As far as we can tell, earth still spins at exactly the same speed as when King David wrote Psalm 23 and when Jesus said, "Let not your heart be troubled." But it surely seems to have sped up for most of us. Instead of long walks into town, we jump in our cars and fight the traffic. Instead of slow cruises across the Atlantic, we take flights of six jet-lagged hours. Rather than going to bed at sunset, we work into the night and deprive ourselves of sleep.

It's better to be busy than bored; but being too busy to pray is a clear indication our schedule is no longer under the Holy Spirit's control. Jesus interspersed periods of intense activity with seasons of withdrawal, carefully guarding His spiritual and emotional well-being.

If you're rushed at prayer, something's wrong. Stop a moment, figure out how you can again enjoy your necessary daily time with the Lord, and let Him restore your soul. Beware the barrenness of busyness.

Most of us are far too busy for our own spiritual good.
Bill Hybels
Read-thru-the-Bible
Psalms 73-77

Staff Member

If you're rushed at prayer, something's wrong. Stop a moment, figure out how you can again enjoy your necessary daily time with the Lord, and let Him restore your soul. Beware the barrenness of busyness.
Yes this is so true...we should never be too busy to pray....yet so often business takes over
And what a beautiful blessing it is to spend time with the Lord in prayer

O Thou by Whom we come to God
The Life, the Truth, the Way!
The path of prayer Thyself hast trod
Lord, teach us how to pray.*

Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit
Ephesians 6:18

* J Montgommery

Many people grow up in environments where prayers are long, boring, and monotonous which makes it difficult to try to practice regular prayer. My advice for those folks is this - keep it short and simple like the publican in LK 18:9-14.

SLE

Administrator
Staff Member
I agree brother Ed. Same experience here. Grew up in Catholic school/church and "mass" was monotonous as was prayer. There was no real Jesus or relationship there.

I'm this type of person. Too busy to pray. Unlike before, I manage to spare some time talking with Him. I definitely don't like this kind of setting. What's wrong with me? :embarasse

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dave M Devotionals 3
pookiejr Relationships 12
E Prayer Request 5