• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Thoughts About Your Thoughts.

Active
This is a study about our thought life, and how important to the Christian it really is....I like what George H. Morrison had to say about our thoughts...."A man will never regulate his passions who has never learned to regulate his thoughts. If we cannot master our besetting thoughts, we shall never master our besetting sins. I think you see, then, that in the interests of morality no less than in the interests of our happiness and influence, it is supremely necessary that we all give heed to the great subject of thought—discipline." (e-Sword)

Early in my training as a Christian Psychologist, this very true saying was found, not only in secular psychology, but also in Christian psychology, "You are what you think". To go along with that, I have found that you become what you think. It would take pages and pages of folk that I have counseled about you are, and become what you think. I personally can testify of many Christian lives that have been changed for the better, just because I, thru the power of the Holy Spirit, changed their thought life.

I have taught folk that they are not responsible for the first thought that comes into their mind, but they, sure as shooting, are responsible for each thought afterwards. Jesus said, "I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life". Therefore there is a guaranteed way to check our thoughts with our Master Owner. 2 Corinthians 10:5 "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." (KJV)

2 Corinthians 10:5 "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ." (ESV)

What does this mean? To put it simply, WWJD. Jesus is the Way, Truth, and the Life. If a thought comes across my mind, is it....
Colossians 3:5 sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
3:8 anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
3:9 Do not lie. There are more,but you get the point. Stop that thought immediately!! Don't continue thinking and forming a mind picture of that thought.

Good thoughts are medicine to our well being. Theologian George H. Morrison once said, "No one can achieve serenity who does not practice the control of thought. You cannot build a lovely house out of dirty or discolored bricks. The power of our thoughts is so tremendous over health and happiness and character that to master them is moral victory."

I'll close with another quote from Morrison...."We are all familiar with the difference that is made by the thoughts that arise within our hearts. Often they cast a shadow on our universe. A man may waken in the morning singing and address himself cheerfully to duty, and then, suddenly, some unbidden thought may creep or flash into his mind—and in a moment the heavens become cloudy and the music of the morning vanishes and there is fret and bitterness within."

Ok friends. I can't think of a more important discipline than the daily practice to regulate our thoughts. As a Christian Psychologist and even a Pastor who has counseled many hurting folk in the churches that I have labored in over the years, many, I mean many Christians have been set free from demonic pressure, health trials, unhappiness and a hoard of social difficulties, simply because of negative thoughts about life and poor self image.

I encourage all my Bible study friends to get into this godly discipline, and begin to live in victory. Pray and ask Jesus to cause His Spirit to aid you in this vital life changing discipline....Thank you. :hug

Alive In Jesus

Loyal
This is a study about our thought life, and how important to the Christian it really is....I like what George H. Morrison had to say about our thoughts...."A man will never regulate his passions who has never learned to regulate his thoughts. If we cannot master our besetting thoughts, we shall never master our besetting sins. I think you see, then, that in the interests of morality no less than in the interests of our happiness and influence, it is supremely necessary that we all give heed to the great subject of thought—discipline." (e-Sword)

Early in my training as a Christian Psychologist, this very true saying was found, not only in secular psychology, but also in Christian psychology, "You are what you think". To go along with that, I have found that you become what you think. It would take pages and pages of folk that I have counseled about you are, and become what you think. I personally can testify of many Christian lives that have been changed for the better, just because I, thru the power of the Holy Spirit, changed their thought life.

I have taught folk that they are not responsible for the first thought that comes into their mind, but they, sure as shooting, are responsible for each thought afterwards. Jesus said, "I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life". Therefore there is a guaranteed way to check our thoughts with our Master Owner. 2 Corinthians 10:5 "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." (KJV)

2 Corinthians 10:5 "We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ." (ESV)

What does this mean? To put it simply, WWJD. Jesus is the Way, Truth, and the Life. If a thought comes across my mind, is it....
Colossians 3:5 sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
3:8 anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
3:9 Do not lie. There are more,but you get the point. Stop that thought immediately!! Don't continue thinking and forming a mind picture of that thought.

Good thoughts are medicine to our well being. Theologian George H. Morrison once said, "No one can achieve serenity who does not practice the control of thought. You cannot build a lovely house out of dirty or discolored bricks. The power of our thoughts is so tremendous over health and happiness and character that to master them is moral victory."

I'll close with another quote from Morrison...."We are all familiar with the difference that is made by the thoughts that arise within our hearts. Often they cast a shadow on our universe. A man may waken in the morning singing and address himself cheerfully to duty, and then, suddenly, some unbidden thought may creep or flash into his mind—and in a moment the heavens become cloudy and the music of the morning vanishes and there is fret and bitterness within."

Ok friends. I can't think of a more important discipline than the daily practice to regulate our thoughts. As a Christian Psychologist and even a Pastor who has counseled many hurting folk in the churches that I have labored in over the years, many, I mean many Christians have been set free from demonic pressure, health trials, unhappiness and a hoard of social difficulties, simply because of negative thoughts about life and poor self image.

I encourage all my Bible study friends to get into this godly discipline, and begin to live in victory. Pray and ask Jesus to cause His Spirit to aid you in this vital life changing discipline....Thank you. :hug

Alive In Jesus

To me what you are saying I call "repentance", which means "to change your mind". We are told to stop thinking about the things of this world, and having ones "heart", and "mind" set on the things above where Christ sits on the right hand of God. Only then can one walk in the Spirit as it is written, "those who walk in the Spirit are those who have their mind set of the things of the Spirit. This is also known as repentance.

Active
To me what you are saying I call "repentance", which means "to change your mind". We are told to stop thinking about the things of this world, and having ones "heart", and "mind" set on the things above where Christ sits on the right hand of God. Only then can one walk in the Spirit as it is written, "those who walk in the Spirit are those who have their mind set of the things of the Spirit. This is also known as repentance.

You're right my friend. repentance is a big part of our thoughts. You could say that it's part of the process of the thought process if a thought goes beyond the first thought into the picturing of that thought. It's a greased slide from there to sin. If that happens, repentance and forgiveness is the next step.

If, internally, we can repent of going beyond that first thought into the picture process, we will have a huge victory over sin.

Loyal
Yes, our thoughts are where our worst sinful episodes begin. The problem of many of us too often is that we are not in control of our own thoughts. When we see ourselves out of control or losing control, we need to ask for help!

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?

Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?" Matt 7:7-11

Loyal
Yes, our thoughts are where our worst sinful episodes begin.

Jas 1:14 But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.
Jas 1:15 Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
Jas 1:16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.

It's a progression. If we never think about it. We never do it. If we're always thinking about it. There's a good chance we'll do it.
The more often we think about it. The more often we'll do it.

Loyal
It is interesting that "bad thoughts" all start out as a "desire" for something not on the menu. Eve saw, and she "desired" what was evil. Sinning is like eating food. Eating food is not just putting food into our mouths, it starts out as a desire for something. From that desire we might see what we want, and we might hear the sounds of cooking it. Smelling food being cooked, or being prepared is also apart of the eating process. Eating food incorporates all of mans five physical senses. The word "desire" also comes from the word "appetite". The Lord God gave Adam, and Eve the menu of which they could eat from, which was all the trees in the garden except for one. Their appetite was for the one not on the God's menu. Sin does not become sin when we do it, it becomes sin when we desire, and think it!!