• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Thought I was a Christian?

I love that garage/car quote! Thank you. Also I like the reminded that salvation is an event and a process. The more I learn about the bible the more I feel like I don't know anything about the bible. *wry smiles*

Thank you SLE!

Hi, here I am.

As my profile says I am a girl, a wife and a mum to two sons (one born in '07 and one in '09).

I started believing, going to church, praying to God and reading and studying my bible in May 2003 then was baptized in August that year. I thought I became Christian then and born again and saved or whatever label you like.

But I have three questions (actually I have heaps of questions but only three for now):

-What is the difference between being a Christian, born again, saved etc, IS there a difference at all?
I think they are all the same
-What determines whether you are one or all of those labels (Christian, born again, saved)?
I believe that just like hate is murder in your heart and lust is adultery in your heart, being saved happens when you believe in your heart.
-Can you lose your salvation?
I don't know, but I don't think so

Hi MrsM'ree,

Jn 3:3 "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Jn 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
"

Being 'born again' is the same as being 'born of the Spirit'. In other words, you must receive the Holy Spirit and you will be born again. In Acts 2:4, they received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. This is what happened to me when I received the Holy Spirit.

To get saved follow the example in Acts 2:38, which is hard to beat:
1. Repent
2. Be baptised in water
3. Receive the Holy Spirit (read Luke 11 when Jesus tells us how to seek for the Holy Spirit !)

Ro 8:9 "...Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

Thought I would add this to this thread, seeing as I think it's relevant. All credit goes to judgement who posted it first in the "How to identify a false gospel, and a true gospel." thread.

"The gospel of salvation is not sacraments is not liturgy, is not the worship of the Eucharist, is not water baptism, not by infant baptism, is not doing good works not by speaking in tongues is not penance, is not the mass, is not by worshiping Mary, and is not praying the rosary and is not by a priest saying the last rites prayer, or by purgatory, not by keeping the law (10 commandments) not by keeping the sabbath, not by church membership, not by fasting, and your not saved by tithing giving 10% to the church, or confession of your sins to a priest. Or the person teaching that you can still live a wicked life which means live in sin and die that way, and still enter the kingdom of GOD is a false gospel.

If any religion or church or person teaches or adds anything to the gospel of our lord and savior Jesus Christ to be saved, they and all who believe in them and trust in them according to the apostle Paul they are accursed.(damned).

The true gospel,

Acts 20:21} testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 26:20}
I preached first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that all must turn from their sins and turn to God -- and prove they have changed by the good things they do.

1 Corinthians 15:1-6}
Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you--unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep.

Ephesians 1:12-13}
that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.

Ephesians 1:17} that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.

Galatians 1:11-12} But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Romans 1:16} For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

1 Corinthians 1:18} For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

I hope this helps the body of Christ God bless everyone."

Last edited:
Active

RJ

Thought I would add this to this thread, seeing as I think it's relevant. All credit goes to judgement who posted it first in the "How to identify a false gospel, and a true gospel." thread.

"The gospel of salvation is not sacraments is not liturgy, is not the worship of the Eucharist, is not water baptism, not by infant baptism, is not doing good works not by speaking in tongues is not penance, is not the mass, is not by worshiping Mary, and is not praying the rosary and is not by a priest saying the last rites prayer, or by purgatory, not by keeping the law (10 commandments) not by keeping the sabbath, not by church membership, not by fasting, and your not saved by tithing giving 10% to the church, or confession of your sins to a priest. Or the person teaching that you can still live a wicked life which means live in sin and die that way, and still enter the kingdom of GOD is a false gospel.

If any religion or church or person teaches or adds anything to the gospel of our lord and savior Jesus Christ to be saved, they and all who believe in them and trust in them according to the apostle Paul they are accursed.(damned).

The true gospel,

Acts 20:21} testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 26:20} I preached first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that all must turn from their sins and turn to God -- and prove they have changed by the good things they do.

1 Corinthians 15:1-6} Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you--unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep.

Ephesians 1:12-13} that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory. 13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.

Ephesians 1:17} that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.

Galatians 1:11-12} But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Romans 1:16} For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

1 Corinthians 1:18} For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

I hope this helps the body of Christ God bless everyone."

Well, MrsMree....looks like you have had a lot of questions answered since May...and I am glad for you!
In Christ,
RJ

judgment wrote said:

Jesus preached the gospel of the kingdom of God and said to one, "Except a man is born again, he cannot enter the kingdom of God". To which that one asked Jesus, "How can a man, being a veteran, be begotten ?". To which Jesus didn't say that all you had to is believe, but that one had to be born out of water and of Spirit !

"Faith alone" is another gospel !

Last edited:

To MrsMree,

So you would rather listen to lies than the truth ?

You oppose God's gift of tongues, you oppose God.
You oppose water baptism, you also oppose God.

There is a day coming, and if you have not done what you were required to do, you will have no excuse. It's either eternal torment or eternal life.
If you are found without the Spirit of God, where will you stand on that day ?

Last edited:
born of water

Lioncub, many people misunderstand this sentence of Jesus's; "you must be born iof water"; thinking that it refers to water baptism.
It clearly doesn't when you understand that He referred to the water of the womb.
John refers to this also in his gospel, ch 1: 12, 13: 12*"But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. 13*They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God."
So being born of water refers to human birth, not water baptism.

Hey lioncub,

Course I don't want to believe lies mate, that's why I read the bible.

Thanks for your concern :)

Active
Hi MrsMree,Since I can only speak for myself, I will. When I myself was faced with this question,i played many games in my mind. I lied to myself time after time,telling myself ,well I am not as bad as some! In fact all the better for that matter!!

After Jesus came into my life,in prayer one night,I saw a dirty, filthy, pile of rags sitting next to me. And then a voice which came like a gentle wind which said,Mark this is your life before me! BUT!! HEY WAIT!! I have never married!!

I have done many good things to people,true some bad ,but hey!! I did do some good!! Haven't I?? "What you have done,is because YOU!! wanted to do it!" Did you ever come to me?? Did you ever seek me out,to find out what I would want you to do??

Did you ever mark come to really depend on me?? OH!! I was about to say something stupid,so I just shut up after this to reflect upon my own life up to this point. Ok Lord then please teach me your ways,even as you did for Moses, and all who call upon your great name,I repent for self!

A few weeks later,ah when I had hair,LOL I wanted to buy a new hair dryer, my old one had a short in it. So I went to prayer, I had been reading his Word daily, as told,I had been doing my very best to allow Jesus to take control.

My brother and I went to the store,I saw the hair dryer I wanted,in my mind I thought ah Lord can I?? Can I have this please? as quick as I thought about this question the answer came as quick,no Mark, there is another store about a mile from you,that has same hair dryer,and is $20.00 cheaper go there.

Here comes the fun part!! Do I believe this?? Or do I save face with my brother,and just buy this here?? My brother said well mark there it is!! I looked at him,thought very hard!!LOL and said ,ah no brother there is another store about a mile or so down the street,let us go there to buy this!! LOL

He said but mark the dryer is here!! Why can't you get it now?? I just knew that was coming!! Now I have to not be ashamed!!( rom 1:16) I have to tell him, what i believe the Lord told me!!Oh DEAR! So I did.

Before he could argue with me,i started to walk out of the store!! LOL He shook his head a number of times at me.I did not care,I had to find out, if Jesus was speaking to me!! So we went to the other store,all the time my brother in Christ, is telling me how dum I am to waste so much time, when I just could have got it when we first saw it.

We arrive,I walk in,go down a few isles, yet ic it!! Cool I walk over with him, he is still complaining!! LOL And look at the price!! $20.00 cheaper!! I jumped up and down in the store,as if I won the lotto!! People were looking at me like I was nuts!

The brother in Christ had his jaw down to the floor! THANK YOU JESUS!! I yelled!! thank you so much!! I said all of this to make this point! For the believer, it is not a matter of IF we abide in Jesus ,but WHEN we abide in our Jesus!!( john 14:23) We find out when we do,because God will confirm this to us!! In one way or another!!

I started by 1. knowing self is not good.2. looking unto Jesus and his Word,so that I can abide in him.( john 8:30-32) The truth we find out,is in John 14:23 when we have acted enough on what we truly believe,Jesus will confirm. himself to us.One way or another!!

I hope this has not only blessed you,but helped you to see,we are all different in Christ,but even though we are so different in many ways,we CAN all have the same results!! ONE way or another!! Praise God!!

Lioncub, many people misunderstand this sentence of Jesus's; "you must be born iof water"; thinking that it refers to water baptism.
It clearly doesn't when you understand that He referred to the water of the womb.
John refers to this also in his gospel, ch 1: 12, 13: 12*"But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. 13*They are reborn—not with a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan, but a birth that comes from God."
So being born of water refers to human birth, not water baptism.
Macca, your interpretation here does not align with Scripture. The apostle Peter, for example, told the people "Repent and be baptized every one of you...."(Ac 2:38).

SLE

Forging a path

God bless you! So many questions in everyone's minds and I for one have a hard time discerning between them. The Bible truly is the foundation to rely on, it's ultimate truth comes from God itself. It is God's letter to us all; a guidebook, so to speak by which He would have us live by.

John 17:8
For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me.

You see, God's presence is in these words, His presence in the Holy Spirit is inlaid in them. I find that when I find all of those sort of questions rising in my head no matter what they are, the Holy Spirit inside me calms all of those thoughts with just a few verses.

1 Samuel 16:7

7But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart."

This means that Lord is right here right now and knows all those questions and thoughts in your mind. When you read his word the Holy Spirit speaks to us in a way that no other presence could, it is a presence that knows our hearts and our thoughts.

God sent all of us a letter, we just need to open it and read what he is trying to tell us. God bless you, I pray that God has a blesses you immensely today. :shade:

The apostle Peter, for example, told the people "Repent and be baptized every one of you...."(Ac 2:38).

SLE

This is interesting.
Peter was addressing Jews at this time.

Act 2:5 NKJV And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.

He was showing them the truth of salvation lay only in accepting Jesus as Messiah and they should show their allegiance through repentance and baptism.

Baptism is a good thing and I don't understand why anyone wouldn't do it. Except those who don't have opportunity of course.

Luk 23:42-43 NKJV Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." (43) And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise."

Hello, MrsMree

Peace be unto you

Keep reading, praying, and fellowshipping and you'll be fine.

I agree with SpiritLedEd here.

John 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: ( KJV )

John 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. ( KJV )

John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. ( KJV )

John 3:4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? ( KJV )

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
If this were referring to the water of the womb, is there any man that hasn't been born of water? And under those circumstances, why would Jesus have even mentioned it? I believe that as your earthly life started out in water ( the womb ) your new life starts out in water too ( baptism ). Just my opinion. I know that many will disagree and that's fine. ( KJV )

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. ( KJV )

agua: This is interesting.
Peter was addressing Jews at this time.
Just out of curiosity, agua, is that coming from the Dispensational view? Do you believe that Jesus and Peter taught a different gospel than Paul?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, agua, is that coming from the Dispensational view? Do you believe that Jesus and Peter taught a different gospel than Paul?

Nope. There's only one Gospel of Christ.

It's simply what the scripture states.

Peace be unto you

agua, what is the reason for pointing out that Peter was addressing Jews? The gospel wasn't really being preached to the Gentiles, yet, so wouldn't it make sense that the crowd Peter was addressing be mostly Jewish?

Last edited:
The scripture Ed posted from Acts 2 was from the time of Pentecost
where the amazing witness of the Holy Spirit was given to many Jews in Jerusalem. It coincided with the Jewish feast which began on the 50th day after the Passover ( not by coincidence lol ). It was an incredible event with 3000 being baptised on that day. Many Jews were already baptised by John and it's interesting that baptism was again preached to them. It shows how this ritual was an important sign in dedicating them to Christ.

The context of the event is spectacular.

First to the Jew and then to the Gentile.