• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Thorny Issues!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Christine Beadswort
Fresh Oil Releases

Thorny Issues

Greetings, precious saints

Paul does say that we are living letters and I want to share a recent experience with you and the warning that came out of it. A week or two ago I was in my garden and saw that there was a dead branch that needed removing in the middle of one of the flowerbeds. So I leaned over and began to pull on it. It was more difficult than I realized and I had to throw all my weight and strength into breaking it off. Suddenly I overbalanced, flipped over and landed on my back in the middle of a clump of rose bushes. I was winded, severely scratched and because my right foot was still snagged in rose branches, I had no way of extricating myself from the situation. After a while my husband heard my groans from the kitchen and came to help me. He had to pick me up like a dead weight as I was unable to use any of my limbs to free myself! Of course my son thought this was hilarious and asked me if I had resorted to manually pruning my roses! When I examined my injuries, all the scratches and thorns were in my right arm and leg.

I thought no more of it until at least a week later the Holy Spirit dropped a phrase into my mind – 'some fell among thorns'. Suddenly I realized that there was a message in my unfortunate encounter with the rose bushes. This phrase was spoken by Jesus in His parable of the Sower and the Seed.

Luk 8:7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprang up with it, and choked it.

Then He explains what this seed represents;

Luk 8:14 "But the seed having fallen into the thorns, these are the ones having heard, and going, are choked by anxieties and riches and pleasures of this life, and do not produce mature fruit.

Beloved, we are His seed because we are born of an incorruptible Seed, the Living Word of God. Once we are born again we are sent forth in order to produce fruit. However, I sense there are many who have fallen among thorns and do not even realize it. I had focused all my concentration upon something that was dead and had thrown all my weight into that which was right before my eyes. I did not realize that I was off-balance and in danger of falling. It came as a complete surprise to me and by the time I realized what had happened it was too late and I was unable to extricate myself from the predicament. I needed the help of my husband and his strength to deliver me from the snare I was in.

I sense the Holy Spirit is sounding a warning that many of the saints are throwing all their weight and attention into things which have no life in them. They are unaware that their lives are completely off-balance and that a fall is imminent. The riches and pleasures of life have grown up around them and are in the process of squeezing the life out of them – yet they are unaware of the danger straight ahead. The injuries were to my right arm and leg and foot, speaking of damage to our Christian walk and the works of our hands for the Lord. I believe the warning is being sounded urgently by the Spirit because of the days we are living in. Jesus, in His discussion about the coming of the day of the Lord warned His listeners:

Luk 21:34AMP And take heed to yourselves and be on your guard, lest your hearts are overburdened and weighed down with the giddiness and headache of self-indulgence, drunkenness and worldly worries and cares pertaining to the business of this life; and that day come suddenly upon you like a trap or a snare; Luk 21:35 for it shall come upon all who live on the face of the whole earth.

Beloved, the cares of this life and the deceitfulness of riches and the lust for other things are a bed of thorns growing right in the garden of our own hearts and they are busy choking the life out of us and will be the snare that entraps us because we are unprepared for the day that is upon us. We must awaken before it is too late and re-order our priorities and bring our lives back into balance. Where are all our energies being expended? Where is our whole weight concentrated on? Is it upon the things of this life, the business of making money and accumulating possessions, of indulging in pleasures and entertainment that we feel we deserve at the end of a hard day at the office?

Paul warns Timothy in his letter that in the last days people would be lovers of self and self-centered, with an inordinate desire for wealth. This is not only talking about the unsaved! He goes on to describe the state of people's hearts in greater detail:

2Ti 3:4 Traitors, rash and inflated with self-conceit. They will be lovers of sensual pleasures and vain amusements rather than lovers of God;

'Lovers of sensual pleasures and vain amusements' – does that not describe our entertainment-crazed society to a tee? Especially in the season of the year that is upon us, the god of mammon is whipping the world up into a frenzy of shopping, partying and excess. Especially this year, it is vital that the saints do not allow themselves to get caught up in all of this. Judgment is at the door and it is a time to be watching and praying that you do not fall into temptation. Just as my fall into the rose bushes was sudden and unexpected, so too, the day of the Lord comes suddenly and we must be adequately prepared spiritually.

1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction comes upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. You are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

The sons of God are His seed in the earth. To fall among thorns is almost like falling among thieves. The man who did so on his way to Jericho came to great harm.

Luk 10:30 And answering, Jesus said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

This man lost his garment and received many wounds. If we do not watch and pray we will suffer the same fate. The deceitfulness of riches and the pursuit of pleasure are thieves that will choke the life out of us. We who think we stand, must be careful, lest we fall unexpectedly. We must examine our lives to check that we are balanced and not throwing our weight into things that have no life.

A snare is never obvious or one would not be entrapped by it. Some of us are too busy admiring the roses to be aware of the thorns on their branches. Are we too wrapped up in the affairs of this life or are we behaving as citizens of another kingdom, a kingdom not of this world? If our state of well-being is attached to the stock markets and world financial systems, we will be tossed about by every surging and waning tide. Is our treasure in earthly things or heavenly things? Wherever our treasure is, our heart will be attached there.

For some in the church it is already too late - they have moved from being off-balance to being flat on their backs in the midst of the thorns, wounded, trapped and unable to help themselves.

1Ti 6:9 But they who will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts which plunge men into destruction and perdition. 1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all evils, of which some having lusted after, they were seduced from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

They need the Bridegroom to come and lift them out of the path they have fallen into. Beloved, if this is you, if you have become entangled in the pursuits of the world to the detriment of your walk with God; if you are surprised to suddenly find yourself helpless in the midst of the a snare of wasteful living and excess and the pursuit of pleasure, then call out to the Bridegroom. He is the only one that is able to lift you out of this place and attend to your wounds. Repent of serving the gods of this world, materialism and self-indulgence and He will set you back on your feet so that you may take up your station at the watchtower, praying that you may be able to escape the things that are coming on the earth.

Just as my husband heard my cries for help and came running to my aid, so too will the Bridegroom come to the aid of those who call out to Him for help:

Psa 18:4 The cords of death compassed me, and the streams of ungodliness and torrents of ruin made me afraid. Psa 18:5 The cords of Sheol surrounded me : the snares of death confronted me. Psa 18:6 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears....

Psa 18:16 He sent from above, He took me, He drew me out of many waters. Psa 18:17 He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from those who hated me; for they were too strong for me.

There is so little time to adjust areas of our lives that are off-balance. We must repent of friendship with the world and its values and realize that we may have fallen among thorns. If we remain in this place, all life will be choked out of us and we will bring nothing to fruition in our walk with God. Just as it happened with me, if we are leaning all our weight on the things of the world which have no life, be warned that their collapse is imminent and those who lean upon them shall fall with them.

2Ti 2:3 Therefore, you endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 2Ti 2:4 No one serving as a soldier entangles himself with the affairs of civilian life, his aim is to satisfy and please the one who enlisted him.

Let us move from being lovers of sensual pleasures and vain amusements to being passionate lovers of God, shining like lights in an ungodly generation, as we hold out the word of life.

Selah

Coconut what a wonderful illustration, thank you for sharing it with us. Hope you are alright and not in to much pain though.

Your sister in Christ, Trish

I didnt write it Trish, so it wasnt me who tumbled into the thorns, but thanks! :embarasse

Luke 8:4 Jesus said in a parable:

"A sower went out to sow his seed. (the Word of God) And as he sowed, some fell along the path and was trampled underfoot, and the birds of the air devoured it.

(The ones along the path are those who have heard; then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.)

And some fell on the rock, and as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture.

(The ones on the rock are those who, when they hear the word, receive it with joy. But these have no root; they believe for a while, and in time of testing fall away.)

And some fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up with it and choked it.

(As for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.)

And some fell into good soil and grew and yielded a hundredfold."

(As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience.)

Yes I see it now Coconut, where it came from, my mistake.
Hope you have a Nice Day.

Your sister in Christ, Trish

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Summer Cunningham Prayer Request 8
Chad Devotionals 1
ladylovesJesus Devotionals 0