• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

This is a honest question from a believer in Jesus that feels sincere.

Q1: Why do I have bad, obviously not of the Lord thoughts on a regular basis when I know I'm born again?
These thoughts that are various types, some just childish embarrassing, sometimes very evil beyond what I would ever actually act. I could be having a a good conversation with a family for instance and I just get a evil thought and scares me and then I start resenting myself in my head and because I feel bad I begin to excuse my language kiss their but.
I love people and wouldn't say these thoughts out loud and I personally am uncomfortable with these thoughts and sometimes I question my salvation and sometimes dont want to even leave the house because I feel like someone can somehow perceive that I was having them (relating to childish thoughts) but the ones that bother me most are when I think mean rhings about people I love & i know the Lord said that even a thought of committing a sin is doing it in the heart.
For the record evil thoughts are not the only thoughts I have, I have thoughts about alot of good as well.
And this conflicting thoughts thing has been a problem for quite a while,
Another example is lets say I had a habit problem of saying Im sorry about everything. .
And lets say someone called me out after the 10th apology that day. And I say Im sorry I just have a bad habit.
You see this scenario is a little different because I don't see a huge problem in that "im sorry" scenario, but in this real problem tge thoughts are 100,000 times worse than apologizing for everyhing I do whether it calls for one or not.

I read threads other places but wanted a plethora of Christian responses.

Loyal
From what you say, you don't invite these thoughts or encourage them or enjoy them. They don't represent how you truly feel about you family or friends.

So treat them for what they are - trespassers, intruders, uninvited guests - and push them away. They don't belong to you and you don't need to feel embarrassed or ashamed of them. Let the fruit of the spirit fill you mind and leave room for nothing else.

Loyal
There's a verse Philippians 4:8 "Finally brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy -- meditate on these things."

Seems like the more we Try to discipline our minds -- the harder it is to Do it.

From what you say, you don't invite these thoughts or encourage them or enjoy them. They don't represent how you truly feel about you family or friends.

So treat them for what they are - trespassers, intruders, uninvited guests - and push them away. They don't belong to you and you don't need to feel embarrassed or ashamed of them. Let the fruit of the spirit fill you mind and leave room for nothing else.
Thank you thats exactly
There's a verse Philippians 4:8 "Finally brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy -- meditate on these things."

Seems like the more we Try to discipline our minds -- the harder it is to Do it.
It really makes me doubt if I could be saved sometimes but now reading the scriptures like all who call on the name of the Lord will be saved. It just trys to make my mind feel scared but i always remember he will never leave me or forsake me.

Active
Greetings! @FrankDSegura

How are you? Regarding your concerns. I remember one of my pastors told me before. Whatever you feed, it will grow.

As one of the brother and sisters here have said, this evils thoughts are intruders, so push them away, this really true because the more you feed them and meditate on them, the more that evil thoughts will grow and consumed you.

The verse in Colosians says “ Set your mind on things above and not on things on the earth.”

Remember if a mosquito keeps chasing you, dont just push them away but kill them so they wont bother you anymore and bite you. The same thing with those evil spirit. Decide to kill them from your thoughts before they consumed you.

Set your mind on things above.

Active
Q1: Why do I have bad, obviously not of the Lord thoughts on a regular basis when I know I'm born again?
These thoughts that are various types, some just childish embarrassing, sometimes very evil beyond what I would ever actually act. I could be having a a good conversation with a family for instance and I just get a evil thought and scares me and then I start resenting myself in my head and because I feel bad I begin to excuse my language kiss their but.
I love people and wouldn't say these thoughts out loud and I personally am uncomfortable with these thoughts and sometimes I question my salvation and sometimes dont want to even leave the house because I feel like someone can somehow perceive that I was having them (relating to childish thoughts) but the ones that bother me most are when I think mean rhings about people I love & i know the Lord said that even a thought of committing a sin is doing it in the heart.
For the record evil thoughts are not the only thoughts I have, I have thoughts about alot of good as well.
Another example is lets say I had a habit problem of saying Im sorry about everything. .
And lets say someone called me out after the 10th apology that day. And I say Im sorry I just have a bad habit.
You see this scenario is a little different because I don't see a huge problem in that "im sorry" scenario, but in this real problem tge thoughts are 100,000 times worse than apologizing for everyhing I do whether it calls for one or not.

The devil shoots darts and talks in first person. I had the most horrific thoughts and had to learn: that's not me. Once in a mental institution I was the whole day through rebuking thoughts, not loud. They didn't have to think I was even more crazy than they thought I was. I just ignored it after a while. Suppose I keep posting nasty stuff to you all day. You just put me on ignore or ask someone to ban me. So do the same with demons throwing darts. Use the sword, the Word of God, the shield of faith.

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the [b]wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of [c]the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints

Greetings! @FrankDSegura

How are you? Regarding your concerns. I remember one of my pastors told me before. Whatever you feed, it will grow.

As one of the brother and sisters here have said, this evils thoughts are intruders, so push them away, this really true because the more you feed them and meditate on them, the more that evil thoughts will grow and consumed you.

The verse in Colosians says “ Set your mind on things above and not on things on the earth.”

Remember if a mosquito keeps chasing you, dont just push them away but kill them so they wont bother you anymore and bite you. The same thing with those evil spirit. Decide to kill them from your thoughts before they consumed you.

Set your mind on things above.
Yes I ask the Lord Jesus to put up a border and im gonna try to starve the demonic thoughts woth no ceasing to pray when they attack. I am confident he has the ability to save me and he will as I continue in the faith praying in connectin to my God in the midst of wicked world filled with mean spirits and deceiving tongues.

If you DIDNT feel convicted by all these thoughts I would question your Salvation. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Satan knows that you love the Lord. He hates this so he will always try to attack you and even make you question your Salvation. God knows your heart. When you sin be quick to confess and He will forgive you. Don't worry if you have to ask forgiveness 70 x 7 times, as the Word says. You are in good company. Hope this has been helpful and God bless you.

If you DIDNT feel convicted by all these thoughts I would question your Salvation. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Satan knows that you love the Lord. He hates this so he will always try to attack you and even make you question your Salvation. God knows your heart. When you sin be quick to confess and He will forgive you. Don't worry if you have to ask forgiveness 70 x 7 times, as the Word says. You are in good company. Hope this has been helpful and God bless you.
Yes it has and thank you very much thats what it is im realizing I know im convicted because i feel very evil and guilty after and confess them right away and counter attack the thoughts

Staff Member
Wait on the Lord. Be of good courage and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.
Psalm 27:14

Greetings,

some sound advice been given so far.
I shall try not to change that!

Remember the devil is a liar. The lies are about what God say's, as in in the Garden. Basically, "don't believe what God says...." and when you get all negative about the Salvation that you believe in, the promise of God about those like you who believe, then know it is the devil at it again, lying and trying to get you to harden your heart against God and His love for you.

A lot of people have experience the same sort of thing as you describe. The Bible tells us to resist the devil and he will flee from you and, my friend, you have to do that.
It might be likened to a pest knocking at your door every day and wanting to sell you something that you don't want. Initially you might open the door and hear them out and even agree to some things but eventually, you won't even want to answer the door or even acknowledge anyone is there. Eventually, the pest will stop knocking and pestering you.

One thing you need to take away from all this is the need to consider what Scriptures say and some of the responses (all?) have shared some Scripture with you.

So not only is it important to say, "not interested" any time a bad thought pops up, you also need to fill your mind with good thoughts through reading and even reciting Scripture. And, most importantly keep believing in Him Who gave Himself for you.
Remember also NOT to put yourself above the Lord in your care about you. Put Jesus Christ first and know that He will look after you, better than you can yourself!

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.
Isaiah 26:3

Bless you ....><>

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
James 4:7