• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU, (Jesus)---------The Carpenters

I added Jesus after you, cause I feel the song is talking about Him.
Do you think so?
Please close your eyes, and listen it for me.

(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU
             The Carpenters

Why do birds suddenly appear
Everytime you are near?
Just like me, they long to be
Close to you.

Why do stars fall down from the sky
Every time you walk by?
Close to you.

On the day that you were born
The angels got together
And decided to create a dream come true
So they sprinkled moondust in your hair of gold
And starlight in your eyes of blue.

That is why all the girls (boys) in town
Follow you all around.
Close to you.

On the day that you were born
The angels got together
And decided to create a dream come true
So they sprinkled moondust in your hair of gold
And starlight in your eyes of blue.

That is why all the girls (boys) in town
Follow you all around.
Close to you.
Just like me (Just like me)
They long to be
Close to you.

Wahhhhhhhhhhh, close to you.
Wahhhhhhhhhhh, close to you.
Hahhhhhhhhhhh, close to you.
Lahhhhhhhhhhh, close to you.:love:

I for one do not... I think its a terribly injustice to use something secular and try to attach christian themes it..

I belive its very sacrilegious - definitions 1) a violation of something consecreated to GOD 2) a gross irrevernce toward a hallowed person

Angels did not put moondust in Jesus's hair.. and he was not blonde hair nor
blued eyed, making a dream come true does not at all refer to worshipp but a sexy attractive person that people want to be around

Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords..Counselor,Consecrated, Dear Son. Day Star, Everlasting Father, End of the Law, Eternal Life, Alpha and Omega,, Lamb of God, Prince and Savior, Sun of Righteousness, Refiner and Purifer, Unspeakable Gift, Water of Life, Word Of God, Wonderfull, Rock of Ages..

There are 280 titles and Symbols given to Jesus Christ throughout the bible
this is just a small listing..

I think Jesus deserves alot more repect then attaching him to some secular song by a secular artist who did not love the Lord...

While I am sure you mean well.., but this is why the bible over and over warns us to have reverential fear of God,, not to do stuff like this

There are a multitude of wonderfull Christian songs that worship the Lord we do not need a carpenter one

In love

Kevin

jesusisthegod

I do the same thing sometimes. Sometimes songs come on the radio when i am thinking of God and it is like God is singing the song to me as an answer.

After that i never think of that song like i did before.

Sometimes i will hear a song and it will be expressing the kind of love i have for God and i change the words in my imagination as i listen to the song. It is always uplifting to me.

here are a few songs i like.

High by Lighthouse Family

We are sailing by Rod Stewart.

Bridge over troubled waters by Simon and Garfunkel

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

After Adstars response.. I would like to add something on this subject.. First I believe each Christian has to walk their own walk,, and while what works for one christian may not be good for another..

Paul said.. all things are permissable for him but not all things profitable.

When I was a baby christian back in 89.. My mentor whom I lived with at the time. threw away his copy of Sandi Pattie. He said her music was cotton candy. I was extremely upset.. I told him who are you to judge what music lifts my soul or not... After some long debates we came to some peace..

But I believe there is certainly a difference between christian music and secular..

Palms 33:3 Sing unto him a new song..
40:3 and he hath put a new song in my mouth
96:1 O sing unto the Lord a new song
98:1 O sing unto the Lord a new song for he hath done marvellous things he has done

We are new creatures in christ, with a new song in our hearts..

We should not hold on to the secular things of world and try to make them spirtual.. that is impossible.. we are to cast off those trappings

If you knew why some of those songs were written would you then be so inclinded to use them... Like you both have said you have to change the words to fit your use.. does this not say something to you?

Yes while I agree they sound all nice and beautifull and invoke good feelings in us.. That to me is not a good enough reason to use them..

If Anton Levay. the man who wrote the Satanic Bible and formed the Church of Satan.. wrote a love song to the Devil but was ambigious enough to use for anybody.. would you listen to that song as well..and think of Jesus. Of course not.. Its the same with these songs as well.. They were written for other purposes most of which is wholly unbiblical..

Most of these secular artists are downright disgusting nasty people compared to light of Gods word. and some cant stand christians at all..

Rod stewart a admitted drug user, sleeps around.. the image of Rock and Roll .. remember he also sings.. Do you think I am sexy? could not write anything pleaseing to God for he is the Son of the Devil..

http://www.r2rministries.com/
[edited by Admin - forum rules apply to you also, read the rules, no links]

I would check out this website.. and if you can order his copy of hells bells..
not only does he expose this secular music he allso has these artists on camera saying what they really believe.. and believe me what a eye opener that was..

I only want to challenge you.. to get you to think.., that maybe shining the light of Gods word on secular music and artists.. there is nothing redeaming about their music at all

In love

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Hebrews11 said:
I for one do not... I think its a terribly injustice to use something secular and try to attach christian themes it..

I belive its very sacrilegious - definitions 1) a violation of something consecreated to GOD 2) a gross irrevernce toward a hallowed person

Angels did not put moondust in Jesus's hair.. and he was not blonde hair nor
blued eyed, making a dream come true does not at all refer to worshipp but a sexy attractive person that people want to be around

Jesus is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords..Counselor,Consecrated, Dear Son. Day Star, Everlasting Father, End of the Law, Eternal Life, Alpha and Omega,, Lamb of God, Prince and Savior, Sun of Righteousness, Refiner and Purifer, Unspeakable Gift, Water of Life, Word Of God, Wonderfull, Rock of Ages..

There are 280 titles and Symbols given to Jesus Christ throughout the bible
this is just a small listing..

I think Jesus deserves alot more repect then attaching him to some secular song by a secular artist who did not love the Lord...

While I am sure you mean well.., but this is why the bible over and over warns us to have reverential fear of God,, not to do stuff like this

There are a multitude of wonderfull Christian songs that worship the Lord we do not need a carpenter one

In love

Kevin

I understand where you are coming from Kevin.

I just thought you ought to know that in the first few centuries of Christianity, it was common practice for christians to put chrisian lyrics to common non-religious songs. Even some of the traditional hymns we sing today... such as Greensleeves

I understand why you feel as you do Hebrews11. God knows each persons motivations and thoughts in listening to music. For some cannot hear a song like another one hears it. I do not listen to rod stewart other songs, i know he sang many songs promoting decadence. But still the song i quoted still moves me personally. I do not feel convicted in my conscience that listening to that song is the wrong thing to do. Likewise with the other songs i quoted.

I accept you are convicted otherwise and i will not seek to change your mind. If something is sin to you then by all means follow your conscience and avoid it. You are following the right path for you.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

Adstar..,

Glad you understand.., I do not condemn other christians on their music choices.., but I like to give my perspective on it.. but I do draw the line on christian hard rock .. I do not believe there is such a thing.. and I believe groups like POD or DC talk are not christians at all..

I have to appologize to the people on the forum.. I forgotten about the rules.. it was not my intention to break them.. I only wanted to post a website that deals with secular music from a christian persective.. so I dont think saying the name of the minstry is breaking the rules.. They are reel to reel ministries. any seach on the web you can find them

When I first became a christian I still listened to all types of music but after watching that video.. I found I no longer could it changed my life in that area.

about Pappas remarks.. I do know that the first few centurys life as christian mostly spent in hiding or persectued.. and it was not like they could walk into a christian bookstore and get your lastest copy of marantha music..

I do not know much of their life.. I only know what I cannot do with music.

Strypes...

I used to go to a KVJ Baptist church and the pastor did not approve of my marantha music... I have to admit I just laughed at him.. not out of respect.. but I told him its some of the most beautifull music that worships God that I know of and he is missing out and he would never or could ever change my mind.

and I do love Keith Green .. boy does his music speak to me.. what a incredible artist.. I wish we had more of him.. his music are literal sermons put to music.
In love

Kevin

Last edited:
I want to thank Kevin for he put a lot of thought on the post, and give us a lot of good and hoest advice.
I dont like hard rock music either, and It is funny someone play it when they worship God. I think they use God as mental drugs.( About this, I am not so sure, cause I am a new christian. I dont want to be judge mental.)
I like the lyrics of the song, because it is beautiful. Plus I think all the good things belong to God.
so maybe she didnt mean it, but I think it when I sing it.

In 1969 Ms. Karen Carpenter, was 19 and a very gifted drummer for The Carpenters. They appeared on the Ed Sullivan show on Sunday night, and I personally became a Carpenters listener. How does the lyrics, Close To You, connect with Jesus? It doesn't for me.

I will say this. I was an aspiring musician in 1967 and The Carpenters (and other bands) inspired me to continue learning to play my musical instruments. God will send others in many forms that will have a positive impact in your desire to grow in Christ Jesus.

This led to using my gifts to help form the praise band thus lifting my musical instrument and vocals to lead worship and exalt God in the HIGHEST!

I was hurt when Ms. Karen Carpenter passed away in 1983?? I will thank God for this band and now am encouraging young musicians in our church to step up to thy plate and carry on leading the praise band during our worship and adoration to the Lord.

Your servant in Christ Jesus.

You started a good thread jesus is the God. I can't comment on Christian Rock musicians as it is not my place to decide if they are Christian's or not, I won't put God in a box of my perconcieved conceptions. We are to look at a person's actions and message. I am not a fan of rock per say but I have enjoyed listening to Micheal Tait, very touching music, inspiring.
Bob, I too was a great fan of the Carpenters, I cried when Karen Carpenter died.

Last edited:
Music is near and dear to my Heart... but now as a christian.. I really had to study about music.. what is acceptable what is not.. Is all music good.. Is music really nuetral or not..?

But I would like to address first about Karen Carpenter... First she died of anerxoia,, from the story I heard a reporter said she was fat.. and that is what started it.. How horrible!

A good and strong relationship with Lord will break any body image problems.. That we should care what others think what we look like.. Is a worldly problem.

But was she a christian ?.. I saw her life story on TV and read many articles on her.. and yet not mention of her being a christian.. for all we know and can gather on her life right now,, she is in hell..

Bobinfaith called her postive impact and possible sent by God and even thanked God for this band...

I would really like for you to see what you are saying..

The carpenters music does not Glorify GOD.. Her life did not glorify GOD.. She did not inspire people to become Christians at all.. Her brother is still in the music industry living a sinfull life... What she did inspire was idol worship of herself her band and her music.. .

This is not sent by God or something to even be thankfull for in the first the place.
.James 4:4 - Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
1 John 2:15 - Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

karen is loved by the world.. and it has nothing to do with Christ or christian living..

From what we know by scripture God hates the things of world.. I could never be thankfull to God from something that is against God..

Now if she inspired you to play instruments fine that is one thing.. but it is not to confused with things of God.. The world and God cannot ever mix those two things are allways seperate..

Just remember there will be no carpenter music in Heaven and mostly like she will not be there either..

Just like the beetles.. John Lenon is burning in Hell right now... He hated Jesus .. He said is he is more popular then Jesus.. In fact I will not say some of things he said about Jesus it would make me sick..

Could anybody be thankfull to God for this band or their music., or would you say they are different its not the same.

Well I submit.. our God is a Holy God. and we are as filty rags to him. Do you think that a person each such as Karen who did not honour God at all.. That God would take pleasure in such music or condone it?

Now as I posted earlier.. music is your choice.. but I ask before we thank God for such people or say God uses them in such matters.. I would truely look at the whole picture of them. there life legacy and what God thinks before we say such things.

Makersdaugter mentioned that I have had a narrow focus on christian rockers such as POD or DC Talk... Well I see can that point of view.. Its seems that whenever somebody slaps on Jesus to something it must be from God and we are not to judge it..

But the bible says me must judge rightly and by their fruit...

POD scorns the christian name.. get drunk.. admire some of the vilest secular rockers.. and might I add loved by the secular world.. you just cant tell them apart from secular people in word or deed.. They only way we know they are christians is because they say so..I say so what?

DC TALK... did you know they admire Marlyn Manson.. get drunk.. Admire Manson.. if you do not know manson is nor things he does.. The man rips ups bibles at concerts and blasphmeys God and they admire him... how is this possible.?.

Since I am not able to post links.. I would sugjest.. Look on the interet on christian music and people who expose them..

They have all their interviews,, everything they say.. and do.. and results of work..by their own words do they condeme themselves.. this goes for dc talk and POD..

IN love

Kevin

Dear Hebrews11,

Thank you for your view. I really need to take a look at what I was saying and its still from my heart. I was 12 years old when I first viewed The Carpenters on TV and the inspiration was pure. I am aware of the happenings later in Karen's career and I am sure Karen would not have been impressed with my sinful ways with our Father.

Praise God for I saw the good in this band and the inspiration I received led me to to do something good with it so God can advance His Kingdom. I am still thankful to God.

In my Walk and in my witness I see the good in all people and their works. That is what I bring out in people when I witness to them. Just like the original topic of this thread. Now, JesusistheGod confesses to be a new believer and I am blessed by his many, many questions and what he shares is from his heart, I truly believe that he likes the tune and was seeking a little direction from his brothers and sisters. God gets all the glory here.

The Carpenters did have a positive impact on me as a child when I was learning to be a musician and there is nothing wrong with that. I did not say they were sent by God to me. I do believe that God does send others in many forms that will have a positive impact in your desire to grow in Christ Jesus.
When good is blessed upon you, its what you do with it in your heart for Him that God sees in all of us.

However, you take this topic in a different direction, brother, and though I commend you for pointing out scriptures and excercising caution on the lyrics in music we listen to, I rebuke your posts for condemning brothers and sisters after their deaths. Are you an authority on who goes to hades? Are you qualified because of the media/tabloids to judge Karen Carpenter and John Lennon? I definitely am not qualified to write them off. None of us are.

Please, lets be careful. God is the judge.

Thank you, Kevin.

Your servant in Christ.

Last edited:
Well Bobinfaith..

I do not want to take this conversation off the thread of music.. But I do not consisder Karen or John a brother or sister.. not in the least..

This not being judgemental at all.., Even considering Church matters.. Does not Paul to tell to put out a brother for his sin and release him to satan..

God said by their fruits we shall know them.. While I was not there at the time of John death... We allready know that he hated Jesus and Christians.. That is not in dispute by anybody... This wasnt a just a passing thing.. It was something he made a commitment out of... When he was shot he was still in sin for all accounts we know of.. Not even Yoko ono who was there made any mention of some spirtual change..

But you are right.. I will watch my words more carefully.. But keep in mind while John was alive all he did while on the planet was the devils work..But I must ask why did you jump from correction staight to rebuke.. Dont I merit a correction first..? Or have I offended you that badly?

But we from what we do know of their lives, Yes I would say they are in hell.. since I was not at there death or no the state of their heart at that time.. I will not say for certain that is where there are.. But I would never call them a brother or sister..

On your comment on see the goodness of all people
I should start a thread on the goodness of people and what God really see's.. There is no good in us..nothing.. not one good thing.. I think this is a new age belief. that has filtered it way into christainty.. when I get time I will start that.. I hope to see you post in there

But I dont think I took in another direction at all... That is one of my points. of secular music. That while you may like it.. most of those artists are in hell (from what we know by the standard of the bible)lived horrible lives hated God. you would like to seperate the music from the artist.. but the secular world does not.. why should we? That is my point.. some christians wish to ignore the artist but you cant.. Their ideas thoughts feelings go right into their music. That is why I said earlier if you knew why some of those songs where written you would not be so inclinded to listen to them..

I would not want to stand before the Lord and him say My son why did you listen to that song.. It was about sex.. I care not how good it made you feel was or how sounded the inuendo was there.. did you not heed my warning that sexual idolerters will not enter in the Kindom of Heaven.

You can substitue sex with drugs, fornication. adultery. which almost all songs are about one way or another..

In love

Kevin

Last edited:
Ok I alittle confused about your comment of Jesusisgod..

are you saying I should not have posted my thoughts on music..? Each Christain here is on different walks and level with God.. Some are babes in Christ,, some like tweens some teenages.. some adults some mature..

Each has different perspectives and understanding..

In love

Kevin

Dear JesusistheGod,

lol! I am sorry for the new direction of this thread.

Dear Hebrews11,

(quote by hebrews11) But you are right.. I will watch my words more carefully.. But keep in mind while John was alive all he did while on the planet was the devils work..But I must ask why did you jump from correction staight to rebuke.. Dont I merit a correction first..? Or have I offended you that badly?

I am not offended. You seem to have taken a defensive position from your participation from your posts to this thread. I don't have a problem with that! I can discern you have wisdom, boldness, and know the ways of the world, Kevin, no doubt I would want you on my side as we fight the spiritual battle giving our Father all the glory, God's Army! Not an offense but an opportunity to sharpen Iron!

What I rebuked, meaning reprove before correction, Kevin, your condemnation of brothers and sisters after their deaths. We don't know what God's judgement is going to be with John Lennon and Karen Carpenter.

Back in the late 60s when the media claimed Lennon's remarks of Jesus Christ, John Lennon rebuked the media, then apologized to the public and the media (more courage than I would have had). During the days before his murder in December 1980, Lennon lived a very private life in New York City, perhaps a time to reflect.

In the late 70s and early 80s Karen Carpenter and her brother Richard were praying with their pastor and family regarding Karen's illness and marital problems. Karen and Richard had a very strong bond along with their family. Who am I? I felt compassion and hope for both of them just as many who had compassion and hope for me that God would turn me from my sinful ways. Everything else you submitted will not get an argument from me, Kevin.

I can sense you went back and reviewed your post. I don't need to correct you because God will work through the both of us for His glory!

(quote by hebrews11) On your comment on see the goodness of all people
I should start a thread on the goodness of people and what God really see's.. There is no good in us..nothing.. not one good thing.. I think this is a new age belief. that has filtered it way into christainty.. when I get time I will start that.. I hope to see you post in there

Yes, it will be an awesome opportunity to share when you submit your thread, The Goodness Of All People.

On your next post regarding your confusion? I was blessed on reading JesusistheGod's original thread and question on The Carpenter's tune, Close To You. Thank you, Kevin.

Your servant in Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
Kevin, I have a few concerns regarding your thoughts about Christian Artisits such as DC, do you know how many kids have become saved through their music, or concerts? Yes, let's look at their fruits. I do not have the time right now to do the research about how many people have come to know Christ as Lord and Saviour via their concerts but I will begin when I have time. Interesting enough, just did a small search in google and guess what? Lots of kids came to know Christ by their music, and their music has inspired young Christian's in their walk. DC talk can reach a much wider audience than I can. How many kids have you brought to Christ, Kevin? I work with kids and I an never reach the mass's as they do.
Please be careful Kevin with regards to the remark that DC Talk is influenced by Marlyn Mason as that is false. I did a search on that and a remark was made by Kevin Max of DC talk that he "wanted to hang with Marlyn Mason and talk about 80's music." This comment was made in Time Magazine when one of their songs debuted in the number 4 position and Marlyn Mason song was in #5. We do not want to start false rumours.

I see the teens at Church listening to hard rock music but the great thing is that they are listening to Christian hard rock. The words glorify God and the style of music is what they prefer so to me that is great.

Are we only able drink milk from a Christian cow (song by 80's Christian artist), only eat at Christian restaurants? buy food from a Christian grocery store? buy a car from a Christian car dealer? I too went through that thinking when I became a Christians in the 80's but I believe that what the devil has intended for evil God can use it for Good.

Last edited: