• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

There are no apostles in today's age

Administrator
Staff Member
There are many preachers out there these days that call themselves "Apostles". However, this is a false title and not possible that they are true Apostles. Let's study why this is factual.

Acts 1:12-26

Matthias Chosen to Replace Judas
12 Then the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day’s walk from the city. 13 When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. 14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

15 In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty) 16 and said, “Brothers and sisters, the Scripture had to be fulfilled in which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus. 17 He was one of our number and shared in our ministry.”

18 (With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19 Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

20 “For,” said Peter, “it is written in the Book of Psalms:

“‘May his place be deserted;
let there be no one to dwell in it,’​

and,

“‘May another take his place of leadership.’​

21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.

23 So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.​

As you can see, the requirement of an Apostle are
1. Had to be a witness living among those who experienced Christ's entire earthly ministry
2. There as a witness Jesus' Resurrection

RSB Study Bible
v21 among us. This includes the whole time of Jesus’ public ministry from His baptism to His ascension.

There are many preachers out there these days that call themselves "Apostles". However, this is a false title and not possible that they are true Apostles. Let's study why this is factual.

Acts 1:12-26

Matthias Chosen to Replace Judas
12 Then the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day’s walk from the city. 13 When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. 14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

15 In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty) 16 and said, “Brothers and sisters, the Scripture had to be fulfilled in which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus. 17 He was one of our number and shared in our ministry.”

18 (With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19 Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

20 “For,” said Peter, “it is written in the Book of Psalms:

and,

“‘May another take his place of leadership.’​
21 Therefore it is necessary to choose one of the men who have been with us the whole time the Lord Jesus was living among us, 22 beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from us. For one of these must become a witness with us of his resurrection.

23 So they nominated two men: Joseph called Barsabbas (also known as Justus) and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, “Lord, you know everyone’s heart. Show us which of these two you have chosen 25 to take over this apostolic ministry, which Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots, and the lot fell to Matthias; so he was added to the eleven apostles.​
1. Had to be a witness living among those who experienced Christ's entire earthly ministry

RSB Study Bible
v21
among us. This includes the whole time of Jesus’ public ministry from His baptism to His ascension.

I must say I rather disagree. The law of God, which is the Bible, is written in parable form (Psalm 78:1-2, Mark 4). The Lord Jesus could be said to be living among all true believers since he lives forevermore. Further, 'John's baptism to the time Jesus is taken up' is a parable picture of true believers right up through a large chunk of time, in all liklihood through the church age and tribulation period. When John was beheaded, for example, it was a picture of how the church loses their true head spiritually, who is Christ, when the true believers are rejected as the tribulation period comes on. John is a picture of true believers. John was in the wilderness and this provides a parable picture of the time the believers were in the wilderness in places like Rev. 12. All true believers in Christ are effectively witnesses with the other apostles of his resurrection in the sense that they can bear witness in their spirit that Christ is resurrected, since they, too, have a new resurrected spirit inside them. Notice the language that you quote from the Bible concerning the loss of Judas. "
and
“‘May another take his place of leadership.’

These are pictures of the abomination that causes desolation (the absence of Christ as the spiritual head), and this is a tribulation period occurrence towards the end, not the beginning of the church age that most people know. Judas is a parable picture of all who fall away from the true gospel during the tribulation period (fallen, fallen is Babylon the great). Even his name, Judas, shows this, as Luke 21 tells the true believers to flee Judah (the congregations) and head for the mountains (Christ) in their hearts as the tribulation period comes on. Matthias, however, is a picture of the remnant of true believers who remain in Christ. It is much as the parable of the virgins, five being foolish (unsaved -like Judas) and five being wise (saved).
The word 'apostle' means sent, and this could be said to apply to all true believers in all liklihood. True believers are raised up spiritually in the inner man when they are born again and then they are sent, as it were, to be witnesses of Christ in the world. The word 'apostle' is most likely a parable word in the Bible alluding to all true believers, as there is no true believer who is not sent. People who have not learned from the Bible that it is written in parable form come up with many ideas based on surface interpretation, but surface interpretation does not assure accurate interpretation. Rather, the law of God is a parable which must be interpreted by comparing scripture with scripture (spiritual words of the Bible with other spiritual words of the Bible - comparing spiritual with spiritual).​
"

One last thing. Chad made this statement: "There are many preachers out there these days that call themselves "Apostles". However, this is a false title and not possible that they are true Apostles. Let's study why this is factual." I must say I rather agree with this statement in one sense. Those preachers out there who are calling themselves apostles because they think they have achieved some sort of spiritual superiority over other believers by being called in a greater way than others or in achieving more spirituality than others are not looking at the word 'apostle' in the right way. All true believers are sent, and the word apostle is likely a picture of all true believers.

Active

RSB Study Bible
v21
among us. This includes the whole time of Jesus’ public ministry from His baptism to His ascension.

We have Paul claiming to be an apostle who was obviously never with the original twelve. When the Way got his attention his involvement was to seek to destroy Christianity. He also is not on record as witnessing at Jesus' resurrection. We know Paul witnessed the resurrected Jesus after the resurrection, his first recorded contact with the Lord while traveling to Damascus to arrest Christians. 1 Cor 9 provides proof of his apostleship, a man chosen by God to perform the duties Paul lists in that chapter. The very existence of the Corinthian church is proof of his calling, as were the many other churches he established by the will of God.

Could it be that none other was ever chosen by the will of God to do what the earliest apostles did? I don't think so. There have been many preachers sent around the world, not connected to a particular denomination, armed with a Bible and a heart of love, establishing churches where no church denomination could enter. God will send one Christian wherever he chooses to send to begin a mighty work.

In that Corinthian church congregation Paul gave no mention of any other original apostle being part of it. Yet he comforted them that God wills to give all a work so that each can care for the other.
1 Corinthians 12:27-28 (KJV)
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

He presented that to the Ephesian church too in Ephesians 4:8-13 (KJV)
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Those gifts were given after Jesus ascended, not limited to the original 12. Paul was one of the men receiving one or more of those ministry gifts.
I believe the Bible is supportive of a continuous provision of apostleships for each generation, as well as all the other listed gifts for the Church.

Active
@pajaro @Dovegiven

Listen to this sermon, starting at 8 minutes in explaining requirements to be an apostle.

That IS the general consensus but nonetheless Paul is called an Apostle and he was not "with Him"...so that creates a bit of wiggle room. James the brother (or half brother) of our Lord is later called an Apostle by church fathers (that makes 14 so far) yet was "sent" nowhere....so for me the main criteria is whether God called them to be an Apostle (most of today's so-called Apostles are assuming a meaningless title that can be used in one sense for church planter missionaries)...

Active
So, there's a movement called the New Apostolic Reformation....

One of it's chief proponents, C. Peter Wager says:

"I believe that the government of the church is finally coming into place and that is the, the scripture teaches in Eph. 2 that the foundation of the church is apostles and prophets"
"The second apostolic age began in the year 2001" and "What’s important is that you’re the people of God out there, you’re representing the kingdom of God, and you know this, but nothing has happened because the government of the church has not come into place"

So.... If apostles aren't for today, then he's wrong it seems, right?

Blessings,

Travis

Administrator
Staff Member
He's wrong @Travis and I am against anyone who attempts to prophecy or claim that something has happened in so and so year (in modern times at least) such as this guy Wager, or say Maya Calender's 2012 end of the world, or false prophets claiming they are the second coming of Jesus. Nonsense.

Active
I think I pretty much agree.

I listened to part of the message you posted. And um.... not to try and make you mad or anything, but I'm not totally 100% against the idea of someone being an apostle per say, now days.... I just certainly haven't met one I know of. And I don't think they would broadcast it if they were. They would most likely be very lowly, unknown, and doing the works of God while under much persecution and heaviness, and most Christians would probably want to have nothing to do with them. I think anyway. It very well may be that apostles are not an office for today in any sense. I certainly don't think I am one! That wouldn't bother me if this is the case. I suppose what is important is obeying the Lord.

So, as far as these people on TV and such, I agree that they are off in la la land in saying they are apostles.

Active
There is a spiritual gift of apostle that is different from the office of apostle.

There are no more that hold the office of Apostle today, but the gift of apostleship continues in a different sense. Jesus gave apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds and teachers at His ascension (Ephesians 4:7-12), and these represent a distinct category of apostles. They do not have the authority to write Scripture as the original Apostles did. They also have a different purpose in the sense of establishing the church – the foundation has already been set.

The mission for those with the gift of apostleship today is to plant new ministries and churches, go into places where the Gospel is not preached, reach across cultures to establish churches in challenging environments, raise up and develop leaders, call out and lead pastors and shepherds, and much more. They often have many different gifts that allow them to fulfill their ministry. These are leaders of leaders and ministers of ministers. They are influencers. They are typically entrepreneurial and are able to take risks and perform difficult tasks. Missionaries, church planters, certain Christian scholars and institutional leaders, and those leading multiple ministries or churches often have the gift of apostleship. See also Ephesians 4:11, I Corinthians 12:28, Acts 1:21-22, 1 Corinthians 9:1.

Excerpted from:
Spiritual Gift of Apostleship

Loyal
Act 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.
Act 13:3 And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

Act 14:14 But when the apostles Barnabas and Paul heard of it, they tore their garments and rushed out into the crowd, crying out,

Active
There is a spiritual gift of apostle that is different from the office of apostle.

There are no more that hold the office of Apostle today, but the gift of apostleship continues in a different sense. Jesus gave apostles, prophets, evangelists, shepherds and teachers at His ascension (Ephesians 4:7-12), and these represent a distinct category of apostles. They do not have the authority to write Scripture as the original Apostles did. They also have a different purpose in the sense of establishing the church – the foundation has already been set.

The mission for those with the gift of apostleship today is to plant new ministries and churches, go into places where the Gospel is not preached, reach across cultures to establish churches in challenging environments, raise up and develop leaders, call out and lead pastors and shepherds, and much more. They often have many different gifts that allow them to fulfill their ministry. These are leaders of leaders and ministers of ministers. They are influencers. They are typically entrepreneurial and are able to take risks and perform difficult tasks. Missionaries, church planters, certain Christian scholars and institutional leaders, and those leading multiple ministries or churches often have the gift of apostleship. See also Ephesians 4:11, I Corinthians 12:28, Acts 1:21-22, 1 Corinthians 9:1.

Excerpted from:
Spiritual Gift of Apostleship

I think you really need to prove that with scriptures rather than push a webmaster's opinion.

Active
He's wrong @Travis and I am against anyone who attempts to prophecy or claim that something has happened in so and so year (in modern times at least) such as this guy Wager, or say Maya Calender's 2012 end of the world, or false prophets claiming they are the second coming of Jesus. Nonsense.

Agreed! But I'm certain a lot of confusion has entered in because too many folks can't separate apostles from prophets.

Administrator
Staff Member
Easton's Bible Dictionary

Apostle
a person sent by another; a messenger; envoy. This word is once used as a descriptive designation of Jesus Christ, the Sent of the Father ( Hebrews 3:1 ; John 20:21 ). It is, however, generally used as designating the body of disciples to whom he intrusted the organization of his church and the dissemination of his gospel, "the twelve," as they are called ( Matthew 10:1-5 ; Mark 3:14 ; 6:7 ; Luke 6:13 ; 9:1 ). We have four lists of the apostles, one by each of the synoptic evangelists ( Matthew 10:2-4 ; Mark 3:16 ; Luke 6:14 ), and one in the ( Acts 1:13 ). No two of these lists, however, perfectly coincide.

Our Lord gave them the "keys of the kingdom," and by the gift of his Spirit fitted them to be the founders and governors of his church ( John 14:16 John 14:17 John 14:26 ; John 15:26 John 15:27 ; 16:7-15 ). To them, as representing his church, he gave the commission to "preach the gospel to every creature" ( Matthew 28:18-20 ). After his ascension he communicated to them, according to his promise, supernatural gifts to qualify them for the discharge of their duties ( Acts 2:4 ; 1 Corinthians 2:16 ; 1 Corinthians 2:7 1 Corinthians 2:10 1 Corinthians 2:13 ; 2 co 5:20 ; 1 Corinthians 11:2 ). Judas Iscariot, one of "the twelve," fell by transgression, and Matthias was substituted in his place ( Acts 1:21 ). Saul of Tarsus was afterwards added to their number ( Acts 9:3-20 ; 20:4 ; 26:15-18 ; 1 Timothy 1:12 ; 2:7 ; 2 Tim 1:11 ).

Luke has given some account of Peter, John, and the two Jameses ( Acts 12:2 Acts 12:17 ; 15:13 ; 21:18 ), but beyond this we know nothing from authentic history of the rest of the original twelve. After the martyrdom of James the Greater ( Acts 12:2 ), James the Less usually resided at Jerusalem, while Paul, "the apostle of the uncircumcision," usually travelled as a missionary among the Gentiles ( Galatians 2:8 ). It was characteristic of the apostles and necessary (1) that they should have seen the Lord, and been able to testify of him and of his resurrection from personal knowledge ( John 15:27 ; Acts 1:21 Acts 1:22 ; 1 Corinthians 9:1 ; Acts 22:14 Acts 22:15 ).
  • They must have been immediately called to that office by Christ ( Luke 6:13 ; Galatians 1:1 ).
  • It was essential that they should be infallibly inspired, and thus secured against all error and mistake in their public teaching, whether by word or by writing ( John 14:26 ; 16:13 ; 1 Thessalonians 2:13 ).
  • Another qualification was the power of working miracles ( Mark 16:20 ; Acts 2:43 ; 1 Corinthians 12:8-11 ). The apostles therefore could have had no successors. They are the only authoritative teachers of the Christian doctrines. The office of an apostle ceased with its first holders.
In 2 Corinthians 8:23 and Phil 2:25 the word "messenger" is the rendering of the same Greek word, elsewhere rendered "apostle."

Disciple
a scholar, sometimes applied to the followers of John the Baptist ( Matthew 9:14 ), and of the Pharisees ( 22:16 ), but principally to the followers of Christ. A disciple of Christ is one who (1) believes his doctrine, (2) rests on his sacrifice, (3) imbibes his spirit, and (4) imitates his example ( Matthew 10:24 ; Luke 14:26 Luke 14:27 Luke 14:33 ; John 6:69 ).

Prophet
(Heb. nabi, from a root meaning "to bubble forth, as from a fountain," hence "to utter", Compare Psalms 45:1 ). This Hebrew word is the first and the most generally used for a prophet. In the time of Samuel another word, ro'eh , "seer", began to be used ( 1 Samuel 9:9 ). It occurs seven times in reference to Samuel. Afterwards another word, hozeh , "seer" ( 2 Samuel 24:11 ), was employed. In 1 Chronicles 29:29 all these three words are used: "Samuel the seer (ro'eh), Nathan the prophet (nabi'), Gad the seer" (hozeh). In Josh 13:22Balaam is called (Heb.) a kosem "diviner," a word used only of a false prophet.

The "prophet" proclaimed the message given to him, as the "seer" beheld the vision of God. (See Numbers 12:6 Numbers 12:8 .) Thus a prophet was a spokesman for God; he spake in God's name and by his authority ( Exodus 7:1 ). He is the mouth by which God speaks to men ( Jeremiah 1:9 ; Isaiah 51:16 ), and hence what the prophet says is not of man but of God ( 2 Peter 1:20 2 Peter 1:21 ; Compare Hebrews 3:7 ; Acts 4:25 ; 28:25 ). Prophets were the immediate organs of God for the communication of his mind and will to men ( Deuteronomy 18:18 Deuteronomy 18:19 ). The whole Word of God may in this general sense be spoken of as prophetic, inasmuch as it was written by men who received the revelation they communicated from God, no matter what its nature might be. The foretelling of future events was not a necessary but only an incidental part of the prophetic office. The great task assigned to the prophets whom God raised up among the people was "to correct moral and religious abuses, to proclaim the great moral and religious truths which are connected with the character of God, and which lie at the foundation of his government."

Any one being a spokesman for God to man might thus be called a prophet. Thus Enoch, Abraham, and the patriarchs, as bearers of God's message ( Genesis 20:7 ; Exodus 7:1 ; Psalms 105:15 ), as also Moses ( Deuteronomy 18:15 ; 34:10 ; Hosea 12:13 ), are ranked among the prophets. The seventy elders of Israel ( Numbers 11:16-29 ), "when the spirit rested upon them, prophesied;" Asaph and Jeduthun "prophesied with a harp" ( 1 Chronicles 25:3 ). Miriam and Deborah were prophetesses ( Exodus 15:20 ; Judges 4:4 ). The title thus has a general application to all who have messages from God to men.

But while the prophetic gift was thus exercised from the beginning, the prophetical order as such began with Samuel. Colleges, "schools of the prophets", were instituted for the training of prophets, who were constituted, a distinct order ( 1 Samuel 19:18-24 ; 2 Kings 1 Samuel 2:3 1 Samuel 2:15 ; 4:38 ), which continued to the close of the Old Testament. Such "schools" were established at Ramah, Bethel, Gilgal, Gibeah, and Jericho. The "sons" or "disciples" of the prophets were young men ( 2 Kings 5:22 ; 2 Kings 9:1 2 Kings 9:4 ) who lived together at these different "schools" ( 4:38-41 ). These young men were taught not only the rudiments of secular knowledge, but they were brought up to exercise the office of prophet, "to preach pure morality and the heart-felt worship of Jehovah, and to act along and co-ordinately with the priesthood and monarchy in guiding the state aright and checking all attempts at illegality and tyranny."

In New Testament times the prophetical office was continued. Our Lord is frequently spoken of as a prophet ( Luke 13:33 ; 24:19 ). He was and is the great Prophet of the Church. There was also in the Church a distinct order of prophets ( 1 Corinthians 12:28 ; Ephesians 2:20 ; 3:5 ), who made new revelations from God. They differed from the "teacher," whose office it was to impart truths already revealed.

Of the Old Testament prophets there are sixteen, whose prophecies form part of the inspired canon. These are divided into four groups:
  • The prophets of the northern kingdom (Israel), viz., Hosea, Amos, Joel, Jonah.
  • The prophets of Judah, viz., Isaiah, Jeremiah, Obadiah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah
  • The prophets of Captivity, viz., Ezekiel and Daniel.
  • The prophets of the Restoration, viz., Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.

Active
I think you really need to prove that with scriptures rather than push a webmaster's opinion.

You don't have to agree with me. My post said what I believe for me.

No spiritual gift has ever ceased, least of all apostle.

Active
@pajaro @Dovegiven

Listen to this sermon, starting at 8 minutes in explaining requirements to be an apostle.

I listened. I turned in my credentials to the So. Baptists in 1976 over their denial of tongues, teaching that's of the Devil today, and such issues as this. I taught and preached outright oppositions to the word of God in the hopes of a ministerial career which they had convinced me to follow after. But I met Jesus, was born again, and realized I was on the wrong path.

Dr. Jeremiah seems to have forgotten in that series what mighty works the apostles did before Pentecost throughout their time with Jesus They had no problem with organizing ministry, obeying Jesus, going where he sent them, casting out demons, though occasionally failing, like when they couldn't cast a certain demon out that required much fasting and prayer. They learned Jesus' way. They had already done many miracles, preached the gospel, exercised much of the Kingdom of Heaven while in the company of Jesus, healing the sick, even Judas taking part. What they couldn't handle, understandably, was the literal death of Jesus, especially the mode of it. Their fears and failures are copied over and over in the Church to this very day!

He's also wrong about when the Old Covenant ended. It didn't end with the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. It ended at the cross of Christ, nailed to the tree, abolished in Christ.

There never has been a word from God taking back the casting of lots. Proverbs 16:33 (KJV) The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD. That method was given by God. It wasn't just the stones at play, but the faith that God was in control and his will would be done however those stones fell. By that practice the lands were divided up among the tribes of Israel. Several important turns of history came by way of the lots.

There are no New Covenant instances of Christians casting lots to hear from God other than in Acts 1, but Dr. Jeremiah indicates our approach is to listen to the Holy Spirit for decisions. I really doubt many Christians know what that's about, but we ought all at least know the written word of God is our sure way to know his will. We read the scriptures, learning how we ought to proceed in life. At some point we hope to live more perfectly, hearing his unhindered voice inwardly and believing it verifies what is written, judging that spoken word by the written word. How many errors are done among Christians who thought they heard from the Spirit to do something the written word doesn't sanction? "God told me to......" has often been filled in with words that resulted in open shame of Christ.

There is no telling how many total apostles have been ordained by God since Paul and Barnabus. I can't find a single Bible statement limiting the number, as that calling is listed with pastors, evangelists, teachers........which would be vastly unknown.

Active
In 2 Corinthians 8:23 and Phil 2:25 the word "messenger" is the rendering of the same Greek word, elsewhere rendered "apostle."

I don't have much stake in this matter.

But I must say that I think this right here may deserve more than just small note at the bottom of the entry about how there are no apostles except those apostles we have designated to be the apostles, and any other use of the term can't possibly ever mean apostle, because that would contract what we have already designated to be an apostle.

Blessings,

Travis

Loyal
I was always told it just meant one that is sent. I just looked it up in the strongs concordance

Strong's Concordance
apostolos: a messenger, one sent on a mission, an apostle
Original Word: ἀπόστολος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: apostolos
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-os'-tol-os)
Short Definition: an apostle, a messenger, an envoy, a delegate
Definition: a messenger, envoy, delegate, one commissioned by another to represent him in some way, especially a man sent out by Jesus Christ Himself to preach the Gospel; an apostle.