• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place, for all those who take the sword will die by the sword

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loyal
A life is so precious in the site of God, I believe it effects the very soul of any that takes another no matter what. Either in warfare or peace. And we need to pray for those who have been a victim of such matters. Matters of such matters produce, I believe creates such guilt of conscious. In the United States, there are about 17 or more suicides a day of retired military soldiers. Years ago I met a Young Christian man, who serve in "Afghanistan", he told me the things he had to do, crying and confessing to me the things he done, the sleepless nights the pains of conscious. I knew what to do, and what to say to him, for God had prepared me for such occasion as this. It seems like I am lead to start a post such as this at this time.
What are your thoughts?

Loyal
Prayers assured as requested brother.

The definition of a sword is; a weapon with a long metal blade and a hilt with a hand guard, used for thrusting or striking and now typically worn as part of ceremonial dress.

Every definition state it as a weapon, a sharp metal blade, it is surprising to find that a search in the KJV sword comes up 424 times. Only 18 times in the NT, of which 9 are in Revelation.

The sword is predominantly a weapon, scripture does however use if to describe the Power of The Word of God...

Hebrews 4:12 (NKJV)
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

In todays age, knives, guns, powerful warfare machines, are designed to kill in large numbers, far beyond what the sword was designed for but with the same reason in mind 'to kill human beings'

It is such a wicked world.

Loyal
..and yet, Jesus is coming with a sword.

Rev 19:13; He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
Rev 19:14; And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses.
Rev 19:15; From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty.
Rev 19:16; And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written, "KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS."

Rev 19:20; And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone.
Rev 19:21; And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.

His name is called the Word of God.

λόγος
logos
log'-os
From G3004; something said (including the thought); by implication a topic (subject of discourse), also reasoning (the mental faculty) or motive; by extension a computation; specifically (with the article in John) the Divine Expression (that is, Christ): - account, cause, communication, X concerning, doctrine, fame, X have to do, intent, matter, mouth, preaching, question, reason, + reckon, remove, say (-ing), shew, X speaker, speech, talk, thing, + none of these things move me, tidings, treatise, utterance, word, work.

The same word used in John 1:1 and John 1:14; Jesus is the logos. No He isn't pages in a book. But the inspired book is the very essence of God.
If you don't know the Word, you don't know Jesus.

Loyal
Aramaic Bible in Plain English

But I am saying to you, you shall not rise up against an evil person, but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him also the other.

When we are approach in such away, is this the "Christ like example" as a portrait of Christianity? Turning the other cheek. Even unto death. And put away our natural weapon as he said in the garden to his disciples.

Loyal
Have anyone seen the movie "Hacksaw Ridge" a real life story of a Christian who refuse to carry a Rifle in WWll.?

Loyal
Have anyone seen the movie "Hacksaw Ridge" a real life story of a Christian who refuse to carry a Rifle in WWll.?

Saw part of the movie. Don't consider him a Christian. More of a coward. Liberal propganda movie. Gun control and all that.

Loyal
I do not watch soaps, ski-fi or fantasy films or programs.

I do not watch any sexually related films or TV programs, suggestive or otherwise.

I do not watch any war, violent, killing, movies or TV programs, whether, swords, guns, warfare or the like.

I do not have any rental film services at all and watch very little TV.

Jesus said, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

If someone strikes your right cheek offer the left also.

Do not look at a woman and lust or you have commited adultery in your heart.

I live a boring life, according to the world, I live an exciting and blessed life in the Lord Jesus.

America are to fightened to let go of their guns!

UK has seen knife crime sour!

Terrorism is worldwide!

All who take the sword, knife, gun, suicide vests, killing machines etc, will perish by the weapons they choose.

May the Lord bless His children worldwide, giving us wisdom, to seek love, agape love, hesed love, and not to encourage, watch or be part of the evil in this world.

Loyal
Saw part of the movie. Don't consider him a Christian. More of a coward. Liberal propganda movie. Gun control and all that.
I understand, just like a whole lot Christians, when I ask them, how many times have they read the Bible as a book from front to back. You would not believe all of the stories I would get, for the justifications why they haven't and don't. So in essence I understand. But the power of the Holy Spirit rest on that movie. But Christians are so quick to watch football games and basketball games and baseball games. I don't see how they can do t.hat, I never felt no anointing on those events!

Loyal

I do not watch any sexually related films or TV programs, suggestive or otherwise.

I do not watch any war, violent, killing, movies or TV programs, whether, swords, guns, warfare or the like.

Jesus said, “Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

I live a boring life, according to the world, I live an exciting and blessed life in the Lord Jesus.

Terrorism is worldwide!

All who take the sword, knife, gun, suicide vests, killing machines etc, will perish by the weapons they choose.

May the Lord bless His children worldwide, giving us wisdom, to seek love, agape love, hesed love, and not to encourage, watch or be part of the evil in this world.
I understand what you are saying. So I guess you don't read the Old Testament too! For it is a book of wars, God telling his leaders to slaughtering women and children, and wipe out whole cities, some cities keep the virgins and marry them but kill every woman who has known a man. Conquer the cities in the promise land. The. Bloody sacrifice and blood sprinkling on the altar and his people in the Tabernacle. The slaughtering of bulls and heifers, yes I do remember when I ask one Christian man didn't he read the Old Testament about these events, his comment to me was, "i don' read negative Stuff" So I rest my case.

Loyal
I understand what you are saying. So I guess you don't read the Old Testament too! For it is a book of wars, God telling his leaders to slaughtering women and children, and wipe out whole cities, some cities keep the virgins and marry them but kill every woman who has known a man. Conquer the cities in the promise land. The. Bloody sacrifice and blood sprinkling on the altar and his people in the Tabernacle. The slaughtering of bulls and heifers, yes I do remember when I ask one Christian man didn't he read the Old Testament about these events, his comment to me was, "i don' read negative Stuff" So I rest my case.

Greetings @PloughBoy

Naturally I do read the OT, but mostly now it is referencing old and new testaments, prophesies, etc. Christ in all scripture, from creation John 1:1, 1 John 1:1 you know what I am saying.

As for my comments, I also believe you know what I was saying, I don't want violence and sex, I have had enough of both when I was younger, the TV and films are full of it, plus deceit, stealing, double crossing, plotting evil, sin, sin, sin. I am still in the world, but am removed from sin, the world and the devil through Jesus.

I no longer trust in the world or lean on my own understanding, I trust in the Lord and lean in His. I know He will guide my paths.

Bless you

Loyal

Terrorism is worldwide!

David did not die by the sword. Its not what we put into our hands that make us sin, its how we use them, and God is the judge of that obviously, not man.

Loyal
I see I need to fuel the thought a little more pertaining to the contents of his words in light of "Holy Scripture":

"Put your sword back into its place, for all those who take the sword will die by the sword"

I believe he is showing them, by a example how they should follow him, as he is a example of "The Way" they should walk in His path. Do not resist evil. Now days people call themselves "Christians" saying they are "Christ like" but I have not found one person who is Christ like, or even come close to His life style. But they claim to be Christ like. So I believe it is more depth to the meaning in content of scripture.
1. James died by a sword
2. Paul died by a sword
3. Matthew killed by a sword or spear
4. Thomas killed by a spear
5. I think if I remember Nathanael pull apart by wild horses
6.etc.......ff
Getting back to the intent of the thread was, when someone takes a life in any form it does something to ones soul. Like God told King David your hands are to bloody. And Cain your brothers blood cries out. Christians turn your cheek, just like Jesus did! Be "Christ-like". Or be a liar.

Loyal
Getting back to the intent of the thread was, when someone takes a life in any form it does something to ones soul. Like God told King David your hands are to bloody. And Cain your brothers blood cries out. Christians turn your cheek, just like Jesus did! Be "Christ-like". Or be a liar.
It is better to please God than it is to please man. God called me to be a warrior, so I will be a warrior, because "God" called me to be warrior. I did not want to be a warrior, but God called me to be a warrior, so I will be a warrior. I did not find some scripture to validate me being a warrior, because God called me to be a warrior, so I will be a warrior. The Holy Spirit flows where it will, not striving to please man and his laws, but to serve the Kingdom of God. Learn to understand the voice of the Holy Spirit. It will change your life for the better.

Loyal
This is a true statement:
(1 john 6).
3By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.
God call us to be like Jesus, he is my example, he told us to be "wise as serpents and harmless as doves," and behold I send you out as sheep among wolves,
Jesus has never told his disciples to be warriors, if so please show me in "Holy Scripture" in the "New Covenant".

Loyal
Matt 10:34; "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.

Luke 22:36; And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.

Loyal
Matthew10:34. A variance ,, a divide, a separation, a Esau between a Jacob, a Ishmael between a Isaac, Spirit against the flesh. What fellowship is there between light and darkness, That is why he said "come out from among them" be ye separate.".

Luke 22:36. What, buy a sword and do what with it, cut our mothers and fathers and sisters and brothers? No I don't think so. He most likely meant they were going to have great and violent trouble.

Loyal
David did not die by the sword. Its not what we put into our hands that make us sin, its how we use them, and God is the judge of that obviously, not man.

Greetings Brad

I agree with what you saying but, here is the but, is it really right with God?

Why do people carry guns, the answer many will give is to defend one's self. Is that offering the other cheek? No.

If a person carries a gun they intend to use it if they think they need to. But then it comes down to their thinking of when is right, there never is a right time to kill a person with a gun, or by any other method, scripture also says, he who tries to save his life will lose it, but he who loses his life for me (Jesus) will save it.

Ermmm Thou shalt not kill.

So if people/Christians know 'thou shalt not kill' why are they carry a gun? Why are some church goers going to a place of worship with a gun? In case of terrorism one may say, but does that fit with 'thou shalt not kill'? No.

The gun or sword may be in the holder, but a split second thought and out it comes to use. So it is true, I feel that he who 'takes up' sword or gun etc' will die with the items, but then they kill someone and that death is on their conscience, God is also aware, it will be raised again on judgement day. If a person does not carry a weapon they cannot use it, they know they must no kill another human and don't put themselves in a person, a split second decision could end up in them doing so.

Shalom

Staff Member
And He said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. Then said He unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in Me, "And he was reckoned among the transgressors": for the things concerning Me have an end. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And He said unto them, It is enough.
Luke 22:35-38

Greetings all,

have you ever noticed this verse ....

For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in Me, "And He was reckoned among the transgressors": for the things concerning Me have an end.

comes in about the time that this one ends....

“Now, however,” He told them, “the one with a purse should take it, and likewise a bag; and the one without a sword should sell his cloak and buy one.

and before this one....

So they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” “It is enough,” He answered.…
================

what sort of characters would be out and about with bags of money and swords at night time in a group at that time of the Passover? An interesting scene set by the Lord's instruction. Remember also that they were not locals and probably did not have suit and tie sort of casual dress.

a little food for thought

Bless you ....><>

Last edited:
Loyal
Greetings brother

It is an interesting few verses, many have debated what they actually mean, this therefore caused me to look at the Tynedale commentary. I think it answers the situation well...

Luke 22:35-38 (NIV2011)
35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered.
36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.
37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”
38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That’s enough!” he replied.

Tynedale Commentary of the above.
v35

Jesus begins his warning by contrasting what is to happen with happier times in earlier days. When he had sent them off to preach their resources had been meagre (10:4; cf 9:3), but their needs had been supplied. They agree that they had then lacked Nothing.

v36-37
But now (alla nyn) marks an emphatic contrast: perilous and difficult days lie ahead. There will be need for purse and bag, and even for a sword. The sword may have been meant literally (so Ellis, Lenski), but it is difficult to see this in view of Jesus’ general teaching and his refusal to let Peter use his sword (v51). Such considerations lead others to think the words are ironical (so Tinsley), but it is more likely that they are figurative. It is Jesus’ graphic way of bringing it home that the disciples face a situation of grave peril. ‘Because He was not thinking of their weapons, the disciples require that courage which regards a sword as more necessary than an upper garment and surrenders even its last possession, but cannot give up the struggle’ (Schlatter, cited in Geldenhuys). Jesus goes on to inform the disciples that the words of Isaiah 53:12 are about to be fulfilled. This is noteworthy as one of the few places in the New Testament in which that chapter is explicitly applied to Jesus. Jesus sees his death as one in which he will be one with sinners. This surely points to that death as substitutionary: Jesus will take the place of sinful people. Since he is in such a plight the disciples are also in danger. Rieu brings out something of the danger to both the disciples and Jesus with his rendering: ‘Indeed for me the course is run.’

v38
The disciples did not understand; they spoke in terms of this world’s arms and said they could muster only two swords.
Jesus’ response, It is enough, means not ‘Two will be sufficient’ but rather, ‘Enough of this kind of talk!’
He dismisses a subject in which the disciples were so hopelessly astray.
Tyndale Commentaries - Luke.

Blessings

Status
Not open for further replies.