• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The "whole" burnt offering vs eating

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
It seems in the old testament, there were different kinds of sacrifices and offerings to God.
A phrase I have noticed today has me curious. (What else is new?)

The "whole" burnt offering.

Exod 29:18; "You shall offer up in smoke the whole ram on the altar; it is a burnt offering to the LORD: it is a soothing aroma, an offering by fire to the LORD.
Lev 8:21; After he had washed the entrails and the legs with water, Moses offered up the whole ram in smoke on the altar. It was a burnt offering for a soothing aroma; it was an offering by fire to the LORD, just as the LORD had commanded Moses.
Deut 13:16; "Then you shall gather all its booty into the middle of its open square and burn the city and all its booty with fire as a whole burnt offering to the LORD your God; and it shall be a ruin forever. It shall never be rebuilt.
Deut 33:10; "They shall teach Your ordinances to Jacob, And Your law to Israel. They shall put incense before You, And whole burnt offerings on Your altar.
1 Sam 7:9; Samuel took a suckling lamb and offered it for a whole burnt offering to the LORD; and Samuel cried to the LORD for Israel and the LORD answered him.
2 Chron 29:18; Then they went in to King Hezekiah and said, "We have cleansed the whole house of the LORD, the altar of burnt offering with all of its utensils, and the table of showbread with all of its utensils.
2 Chron 29:28; While the whole assembly worshiped, the singers also sang and the trumpets sounded; all this continued until the burnt offering was finished.
Psa 51:19; Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices, In burnt offering and whole burnt offering; Then young bulls will be offered on Your altar.
Jer 51:25; "Behold, I am against you, O destroying mountain, Who destroys the whole earth," declares the LORD, "And I will stretch out My hand against you, And roll you down from the crags, And I will make you a burnt out mountain.
Heb 10:6; IN WHOLE BURNT OFFERINGS AND sacrifices FOR SIN YOU HAVE TAKEN NO PLEASURE.

Now it seems a "whole burnt offering" was an offering that was completely burnt. I'm not talking a well-done Texas steak here, I'm talking burnt to ashes. Cremated. Utterly and completely burnt. It almost seems God likes smoked beef (I can't blame Him).
The things about a "whole" burnt offering, it that it was completely consumed. There was nothing left to do anything with.

There were also other burnt offerings. Sin offerings, peace offerings, drink offerings, and even vow offerings.

Exod 10:25; But Moses said, "You must also let us have sacrifices and burnt offerings, that we may sacrifice them to the LORD our God.
Exod 20:24; 'You shall make an altar of earth for Me, and you shall sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your peace offerings, your sheep and your oxen; in every place where I cause My name to be remembered, I will come to you and bless you.
Lev 4:10; (just as it is removed from the ox of the sacrifice of peace offerings), and the priest is to offer them up in smoke on the altar of burnt offering.
Lev 7:37; This is the law of the burnt offering, the grain offering and the sin offering and the guilt offering and the ordination offering and the sacrifice of peace offerings,
Lev 17:8; "Then you shall say to them, 'Any man from the house of Israel, or from the aliens who sojourn among them, who offers a burnt offering or sacrifice,
Num 15:3; then make an offering by fire to the LORD, a burnt offering or a sacrifice to fulfill a special vow, or as a freewill offering or in your appointed times, to make a soothing aroma to the LORD, from the herd or from the flock.
Num 15:5; and you shall prepare wine for the drink offering, one-fourth of a hin, with the burnt offering or for the sacrifice, for each lamb.
Num 15:8; 'When you prepare a bull as a burnt offering or a sacrifice, to fulfill a special vow, or for peace offerings to the LORD,
Jos 22:26; "Therefore we said, 'Let us build an altar, not for burnt offering or for sacrifice;
Jos 22:28; "Therefore we said, 'It shall also come about if they say this to us or to our generations in time to come, then we shall say, "See the copy of the altar of the LORD which our fathers made, not for burnt offering or for sacrifice; rather it is a witness between us and you."'
Jos 22:29; "Far be it from us that we should rebel against the LORD and turn away from following the LORD this day, by building an altar for burnt offering, for grain offering or for sacrifice, besides the altar of the LORD our God which is before His tabernacle."
1 Sam 10:8; "And you shall go down before me to Gilgal; and behold, I will come down to you to offer burnt offerings and sacrifice peace offerings. You shall wait seven days until I come to you and show you what you should do."
1 Sam 15:22; Samuel said, "Has the LORD as much delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices As in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, And to heed than the fat of rams.
1 Kin 3:4; The king went to Gibeon to sacrifice there, for that was the great high place; Solomon offered a thousand burnt offerings on that altar.
2 Kin 5:17; Naaman said, "If not, please let your servant at least be given two mules' load of earth; for your servant will no longer offer burnt offering nor will he sacrifice to other gods, but to the LORD.
2 Kin 16:15; Then King Ahaz commanded Urijah the priest, saying, "Upon the great altar burn the morning burnt offering and the evening meal offering and the king's burnt offering and his meal offering, with the burnt offering of all the people of the land and their meal offering and their drink offerings; and sprinkle on it all the blood of the burnt offering and all the blood of the sacrifice. But the bronze altar shall be for me to inquire by."

Ezek 40:42; For the burnt offering there were four tables of hewn stone, a cubit and a half long, a cubit and a half wide and one cubit high, on which they lay the instruments with which they slaughter the burnt offering and the sacrifice.
Ezek 44:11; "Yet they shall be ministers in My sanctuary, having oversight at the gates of the house and ministering in the house; they shall slaughter the burnt offering and the sacrifice for the people, and they shall stand before them to minister to them.
Hos 6:6; For I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, And in the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.

Unlike the "whole burnt offering. These were just burnt. Perhaps partially burnt. It seems part of these offerings were left over. They weren't completely consumed.
It seems that the Priests were allowed to eat from some of these offerings, and yet not from others.

Exod 18:12; Then Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, took a burnt offering and sacrifices for God, and Aaron came with all the elders of Israel to eat a meal with Moses' father-in-law before God.
Lev 8:31; Then Moses said to Aaron and to his sons, "Boil the flesh at the doorway of the tent of meeting, and eat it there together with the bread which is in the basket of the ordination offering, just as I commanded, saying, 'Aaron and his sons shall eat it.'
Lev 10:12; Then Moses spoke to Aaron, and to his surviving sons, Eleazar and Ithamar, "Take the grain offering that is left over from the LORD'S offerings by fire and eat it unleavened beside the altar, for it is most holy.
Lev 10:14; "The breast of the wave offering, however, and the thigh of the offering you may eat in a clean place, you and your sons and your daughters with you; for they have been given as your due and your sons' due out of the sacrifices of the peace offerings of the sons of Israel.
Lev 10:17; "Why did you not eat the sin offering at the holy place? For it is most holy, and He gave it to you to bear away the guilt of the congregation, to make atonement for them before the LORD.
Lev 22:12; 'If a priest's daughter is married to a layman, she shall not eat of the offering of the gifts.
Num 18:11 "This also is yours, the offering of their gift, even all the wave offerings of the sons of Israel; I have given them to you and to your sons and daughters with you as a perpetual allotment. Everyone of your household who is clean may eat it.
Jdg 13:16 The angel of the LORD said to Manoah, "Though you detain me, I will not eat your food, but if you prepare a burnt offering, then offer it to the LORD." For Manoah did not know that he was the angel of the LORD.
Ezek 42:13 Then he said to me, "The north chambers and the south chambers, which are opposite the separate area, they are the holy chambers where the priests who are near to the LORD shall eat the most holy things. There they shall lay the most holy things, the grain offering, the sin offering and the guilt offering; for the place is holy.
Ezek 44:29 "They shall eat the grain offering, the sin offering and the guilt offering; and every devoted thing in Israel shall be theirs.

It seems some of the grain offerings were also not supposed to be eaten.

Lev 23:14; 'Until this same day, until you have brought in the offering of your God, you shall eat neither bread nor roasted grain nor new growth. It is to be a perpetual statute throughout your generations in all your dwelling places.
Deut 12:17; "You are not allowed to eat within your gates the tithe of your grain or new wine or oil, or the firstborn of your herd or flock, or any of your votive offerings which you vow, or your freewill offerings, or the contribution of your hand.

So I'm trying figure out the significance of all of this. Maybe there really isn't any. But it seems like whenever the Bible specifically lays something out, it's for a reason.

Loyal
Just a thought here.

Not everyone had money in those days. There was an economy of traded and bartered goods.
The temple back them didn't have insta-tithe, pay-pal and on-line credit billing. Some people didn't have any cash at all.
The church wasn't really generating a lot of cash flow (I know some churches have become businesses, and it's all about profit these days)
So since the priests didn't really receive any money, they were allowed to eat certain parts of certain sacrifices and offerings.
In a way, this was how they survived. This was how they got many of their meals.

But it seems some sins were so grievous, so heinous, that the priests weren't to "partake" in any part of them.
The priests didn't eat any part of these offerings. These sacrifices were offered up as a "whole burnt" offering until nothing was left but ashes.
However, I notice in a few verses above.. even the priests family were not allowed to eat any of the sacrifice.