• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Unforgivable sin

"Therefore i tell you, every sin and blasphemy (every evil, abusive, injurious speaking, or indignity against sacred things) can be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the (Holy) Spirit shall not and cannot be forgiven"
Matthew 12:31 (Amplified Version)

How does a person know if they have done this? and surely even if they have done this when they were not a Christian, can it still not be forgiven then?

It says 'will not and cannot be forgiven', it does not say unless of course you become a Christian.

In my role as a Therapist, i have never known how to answer people who are worried about this.

Any light shed would be greatly appreciated

My Studies...

My Studies have taught me this about that, to start, inorder to commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, you have to be doing it intentionally. Ofcourse none of us with any brains wants to commit this sin. Example: Satan Knew what he was doing when he sinned. I would rather not go into what it is because it is like putting up a no fishing sign that some fisher men can not seem to resist. Far be it from me to lead anyone to sin.AMEN

In :love: of JESUS the Christ, Our LORD, the ONLY begotten Son of GOD.

Theosebes said:
"Therefore i tell you, every sin and blasphemy (every evil, abusive, injurious speaking, or indignity against sacred things) can be forgiven men, but blasphemy against the (Holy) Spirit shall not and cannot be forgiven"
Matthew 12:31 (Amplified Version)

How does a person know if they have done this? and surely even if they have done this when they were not a Christian, can it still not be forgiven then?

It says 'will not and cannot be forgiven', it does not say unless of course you become a Christian.

In my role as a Therapist, i have never known how to answer people who are worried about this.

Any light shed would be greatly appreciated

I have often questioned this myself. I really didn't know the answer, so I'll tell you what my elder whom I asked told me. They said that who this is for is someone who was extremely mature in Christ (I.E. Your Pastor) If they were to completely turn their backs from God and the Holy Spirit and say there was no God, then this would be commitng blashpemy. I do not know if this is correct, it is just what the answer I got to the same question. I don't know how a person would know if they have commited that, but I think its a rarity, or would hope for the sake of the person who commited such a thing. I hope I've shedded a little bit of light.

I have personally dealt with this situation.

I say if a person is questioning like for example:"Oh no did I do that, did I blaspheme the Holy Spirit?" They did not, because a person who did would not question it for there heart would be hardened so it would not bother them.
The Pastor of my home Church said almost the same thing.

So if the person is questioning especially in sense of worry, then no they have not blaspehemed the Holy Spirit

A dictionary definition of blasphemy is: "to talk profanely about or speak irreverently of." Hebrew=to scorn;[contemn(disgrace),despise, provoke(irritate)]. Greek=to speak impiously, defame(dishonor by slander), revile(abuse), rail on(utter abuse or make fun of),speak evil of/against.

I think... no one, but an infidel, atheist, or total GOD-refuser is/can be guilty of blasphemy because of the above stated definitions. Those unbelievers make it their goal to disgrace, dishonor, defame, and drag GOD through the mud. They live, breathe, and eat to disprove HIS existence, while taking advantage of HIS goodness, blessings, and benefits. My reason for believing GOD will not forgive them is because they determine to defy the GOD of their creation in their words, acts, and deeds. Unless one is making this their goal while they live, they probably aren't blasheming nor have blasphemed. We are all sinners...we cannot deny that...and we do/have done many things against GOD(esp. in our past...before becoming Christians), but when we become Christians, our lives are totally changed. The unbelievers, mentioned earlier, are everlearning, but NEVER accept THE TRUTH...JESUS CHRIST...and they are always making mockery of anything that pertains to Christ; they take pleasure in doing so.

I've heard it said by many men of GOD, that if you wonder or worry about having blasphemed the Holy Ghost, then you probably haven't.

Last edited:
greetings

If you feel any kind of conviction when you sin like say guilt of any kind you havent blasphemed the holy spirit.Its when you totally turn your back to god in effect saying "Iwant nothing to do with you" thats the blasphemy of the holy spirit.Those that never had knowledge nor knew of the holy spirit,there will come a time that they will be given a chance as well.Bottom line is if your a christian and you turn your back to gods way of life which is his spirit that
guides and teachs us and reject salvation common sense tells you what awaits next.
Please if your backsiding which is something most of us do from time to time I myself included that doesnt mean you have commited the unpardonable sin especially when your asking for forgiveness,but it does put you in danger of it,like a gateway leading to it if you will. I hope this helps as well :love:

The way I see the unforgivable sin:-

In speaking about Jesus -

Mark 3:22 "And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils"

Jesus went on explaining to them and spoke about the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.

verse 30 says "Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit".

The scribes were calling good evil and evil good. In other words they accusing Jesus of being possessed by Satan (Beelzebub). (verse 22)

The work of the antichrist is to do the very same thing. Call evil good and good evil. That is why they will be destroyed forever. The essence of all evil and wickedness is to call Jesus evil, and that is unforgivable. (As well as calling those evil who are filled with the Holy Spirit).

Last edited:
Hello everyone

Your comments and scriptures especially are truely very helpful. thank you so much.