• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

The transformation of Paul

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
It seems that in the beginning of Acts 9, Saul was on the way to Damascus.
But why was he going there? To get letters from the local synagogues about Christians who
were following "the way" so that he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.

Of course we know the story of the bright light that blinds Saul and causes him to fall to the ground.
(Some say he was knocked off a horse, but it doesn't say that in the Bible).
..and the voice that tells him who is talking to him.

Paul still ends up going to Damascus, but he doesn't end up going to the synagogues. He ends up at
Ananias's house (on "Straight" street, which is there even today). Saul eventually gets his eyesight back
and being on the road and not eating for three days.

This story causes me wonder what would have happened to the Christians there if Saul would have continued on to his original destination (the synagogues). Thank God he didn't continue going that way.
It says that something like "scales" falls from Sauls eyes, and now he can see.

I always think of the song Amazing Grace when I read this. I once was blind, but now I see.
I wonder how many people who claim to be Christians today had a destination in mind for their lives before they got saved? Often the idea behind their destination is a good idea. Paul thought he was doing a good thing by going to the synagogues.

But once our eyes are "opened" so to speak. We should see things a little differently.
We should have different priorities. We should have a different destination in life. ... and yet it seems,
many who calls themselves Christians, are on the same road, the same path, with the same destination
they had before they got saved. Nothing really changed in their lives much.

Matt 7:13; "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.
Matt 7:14; "For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Active
and yet it seems,
many who calls themselves Christians, are on the same road, the same path, with the same destination
they had before they got saved. Nothing really changed in their lives much.
Who said they got saved? There are a many person in a Church, who call themselves Christian but are not and haven't yet been saved.
I recently left my church because the ruling Presbytery said it was alright to have gay marriages and Gay Pastors. How can there be a Pastor, who says they are gay ,not changing, profess to be Christian, with Christ in them, and be unrepentant?

Loyal
Who said they got saved? There are a many person in a Church, who call themselves Christian but are not and haven't yet been saved.
I recently left my church because the ruling Presbytery said it was alright to have gay marriages and Gay Pastors. How can there be a Pastor, who says they are gay ,not changing, profess to be Christian, with Christ in them, and be unrepentant?
I agree with this... but then what are you basing their salvation on? The fact that they believe in Jesus, or
the things that they are doing after they say they believe in Jesus? (What happened to grace alone?)

Active
I agree with this... but then what are you basing their salvation on? The fact that they believe in Jesus, or
the things that they are doing after they say they believe in Jesus? (What happened to grace alone?)
Yes sir, If I understand you correctly, you continue to go in full circle and always come back to works!
Of course, the only fact of salvation IS believing in Jesus. As far as the part about "doing after salvation" I will leave that up to God and not man!
Once saved, grace continues to abound! Believing and saying you believe is a matter of discernment and I will leave that up to God too!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Christ4Ever Devotionals 6
Sue J Love Bible Discussions 5
Christ4Ever Devotionals 2