• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The third person of the Trinity

In the Old Testament the usual designation is Spirit of God or Spirit of the Lord(Gen.1:2-41:38;Judges 14:6,19--15:14. Frequently the term seems to be synonymous with the spirit of prophecy.The work performed by the Holy Spirit is varied. Apart from his operations in the physical universe,as at creation (Gen. 1:2), his inspiration of prophecy and his close attence to the Messiah,he sustains a unique relationship to those of us who are true believers and to the church.After the Resurrection his abode among men became permanent. He now serves as Jesus' substitute or His representitive on earth. He brings the teachings of Jesus to our remembrance and leads us to understand Christian Truth.(John,14:16,17,26--16:7,13).He covicts men of sin(John 16:8). And He will bestow new birth on those who are truly penitent(John 3:3-8). The Holy Spirit gloifies Jesus Christ(john 16:14). A pesonal relationship is established between him and each babtized christian,since Jesus ordained that baptism be administered in his name as well as in the names of the Father and of the Son (Matt.28:19).The Christian's body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit.(Cor. 3:16--6:19,20).Paul designates nine Christian virtues as the fruit of the Spirit(Gal. 5:22,23).
MGBY(May God bless you) P.S. The voice you here is His.

Good..

Good post about the Spirit. Keep them Comming.

Ettu315 said:
In the Old Testament the usual designation is Spirit of God or Spirit of the Lord(Gen.1:2-41:38;Judges 14:6,19--15:14. Frequently the term seems to be synonymous with the spirit of prophecy.The work performed by the Holy Spirit is varied. Apart from his operations in the physical universe,as at creation (Gen. 1:2), his inspiration of prophecy and his close attence to the Messiah,he sustains a unique relationship to those of us who are true believers and to the church.After the Resurrection his abode among men became permanent. He now serves as Jesus' substitute or His representitive on earth. He brings the teachings of Jesus to our remembrance and leads us to understand Christian Truth.(John,14:16,17,26--16:7,13).He covicts men of sin(John 16:8). And He will bestow new birth on those who are truly penitent(John 3:3-8). The Holy Spirit gloifies Jesus Christ(john 16:14). A pesonal relationship is established between him and each babtized christian,since Jesus ordained that baptism be administered in his name as well as in the names of the Father and of the Son (Matt.28:19).The Christian's body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit.(Cor. 3:16--6:19,20).Paul designates nine Christian virtues as the fruit of the Spirit(Gal. 5:22,23).
MGBY(May God bless you) P.S. The voice you here is His.

Good post about the Spirit. Keep them Comming.

Hello There. Peace of Christ..

Could you explain this please?....Am I seeing two forms of baptism in what you printed in your post?!!!!!!!!....

>>>A pesonal relationship is established between him and each babtized christian,since Jesus ordained that baptism be administered in his name as well as in the names of the Father and of the Son (Matt.28:19)<<<<<

You mean this: some people can just get baptized in the Name of Jesus and
some in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit?........

Can you furnish wher "ONE SINGLE PERSON" is baptized in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit in the bible?....could you please...

God Bless.....................................Brother James

Hi Folks,

Ettu315 wrote:
The Holy Spirit glorifies Jesus Christ(john 16:14). A personal relationship is established between him and each baptized Christian,since Jesus ordained that baptism be administered in his name as well as in the names of the Father and of the Son (Matt.28:19).

You, Brother James wrote: ....Am I seeing two forms of baptism in what you printed in your post?!!!!!!!!....

I can only see one.

Lets analyse this and see if we can clear up this misunderstanding.

' The Holy Spirit glorifies Jesus Christ(john 16:14) Our sister is specifically writing about the third person of the trinity, ' The Holy Spirit.' Therefore when she says, ' A personal relationship is established between him...' 'The him,' in question here is the Holy Spirit. So when our sister continues to say,
'... Jesus ordained that baptism be administered in his name...' she is again speaking of the Holy Spirit this become's clear when our sister continues to say, '... as well as the names of the Father and of the Son...' As it is quoted in Matt 28:19.

So she is definitely not speaking of two kinds of baptism.

If however, you just wish to debate the seeming anomaly between the Gospels and Acts of the Apostles concerning baptism in the name of Jesus and baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, just say so.

Blessings,
Tonyb

Last edited:
Baptism

Hi Folks,

Ettu315 wrote:
The Holy Spirit glorifies Jesus Christ(john 16:14). A personal relationship is established between him and each baptized Christian,since Jesus ordained that baptism be administered in his name as well as in the names of the Father and of the Son (Matt.28:19).

You, Brother James wrote: ....Am I seeing two forms of baptism in what you printed in your post?!!!!!!!!....

I can only see one.

Lets analyse this and see if we can clear up this misunderstanding.

' The Holy Spirit glorifies Jesus Christ(john 16:14) Our sister is specifically writing about the third person of the trinity, ' The Holy Spirit.' Therefore when she says, ' A personal relationship is established between him...' 'The him,' in question here is the Holy Spirit. So when our sister continues to say,
'... Jesus ordained that baptism be administered in his name...' she is again speaking of the Holy Spirit this become's clear when our sister continues to say, '... as well as the names of the Father and of the Son...' As it is quoted in Matt 28:19.

So she is definitely not speaking of two kinds of baptism.

If however, you just wish to debate the seeming anomaly between the Gospels and Acts of the Apostles concerning baptism in the name of Jesus and baptism in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, just say so.

Blessings,
Tonyb

Hello There Tonyb. Peace of Christ.

STILL!!!! you have not made clear the way you and your sister are baptized, i was a trinitarian for over 40 years and the catholic church baptizes, "In the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" that is the trinitarian formula....99.99 Protestant denominations follow it too.
Now....The Church of God and the Oneness Pentecostals, Baptise in the Name of Jesus......so!! If you do not see "TWO " ways of baptizing, i do...i experienced.....this is what i want to know from you....explain it...are you a trinitarian, or a Oneness?....

God Bless......................................Brother James

Administrator
Staff Member
Matthew 28:19
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

I beleive that speaks enough, coming from the mouth of our Savior Jesus Christ, Son of GOD. No arguments or assumptions, no debating Scripture

Act 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Act 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Act 19:5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

I have noted your scripture but I also found this scripture, because, I was in this the other day.

Why did Paul teach that we only needed to be baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

He didn't mention the Father and the Holy Spirit?

There are two baptisms one is when the HolySpirit baptizes you into Christ and the other is when Jesus baptizes you in the HolySpirit.

Acts 8:12-17
12 But now the people believed Philip’s message of Good News concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ. As a result, many men and women were baptized. 13*Then Simon himself believed and was baptized. He began following Philip wherever he went, and he was amazed by the great miracles and signs Philip performed.
14*When the apostles back in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had accepted God’s message, they sent Peter and John there. 15*As soon as they arrived, they prayed for these new Christians to receive the Holy Spirit. 16*The Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them, for they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17*Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 10:44-48
44*Even as Peter was saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who had heard the message. 45*The Jewish believers who came with Peter were amazed that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out upon the Gentiles, too. 46*And there could be no doubt about it, for they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.
Then Peter asked, 47*“Can anyone object to their being baptized, now that they have received the Holy Spirit just as we did?” 48*So he gave orders for them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

Acts 19:1-7
1*While Apollos was in Corinth, Paul traveled through the interior provinces. Finally, he came to Ephesus, where he found several believers.* 2*“Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” he asked them.
“No,” they replied, “we don’t know what you mean. We haven’t even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”
3*“Then what baptism did you experience?” he asked.
And they replied, “The baptism of John.”
4*Paul said, “John’s baptism was to demonstrate a desire to turn from sin and turn to God. John himself told the people to believe in Jesus, the one John said would come later.”
5*As soon as they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6*Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and prophesied. 7*There were about twelve men in all.

Thanks for that Jiggyfly, it seems to put everything into context, it also reminds me of why I baptised in the the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. But I wouldn't make a big issue out of who's name I was baptised in. It's manifesting the life of Jesus and walking in the power of the Holy Spirit that convinces people. Not arguments about debatable issues.

Blessings,
Tonyb:icon_biggrin:

Thanks jiggyfly, this has cleared it up for me too. I will print this off and go through it when I get home.

God bless you. :love:

Administrator
Staff Member
Thank you much brother jiggy :)

Great helpful response, perfect mix of Scripture quoted to clear this discussion out