• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The Sabbath

What do believe is the Sabbath day?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
show the verse...?

Well, I voted for Sunday, that's when most Reforms call "the Sabbath", but I have always been intrigued by the Christians that stuck to Saturday - they do have some compelling arguments, but the Sunday does "go" with the new covenant.

its interesting when people mention the new covenant...so are you just quoting a man made ...tradition or is their a verse that says ...sunday is part of the new covenant

Jiggy....those laws eched in stone still lead to death....in fact the law only points out ...what sin is. if you are a sinner and do not repent...you will die. remember that death is not a friend but an enemy..and the bible says it will be the last enemy to be destroyed...but that is yet future. Sin is the transgression of the law. Are you saved for keeping them ...no. But they are part of our character building.

My apologies here, I am new to this forum. No one can make any day holy except for God. The day that He designated as the Sabbath is Saturday, or the seventh day. Who are we to change the day He designated? Did He ever say "I created the seventh day as holy, but you can change it to whatever day you wish"?

Dear sister,

Let me remind you that we are living in the days of the new covenant, not the old covenant. So let us not mix the old covenant with the new one. We do need to worship God, everyday, not just Saturday alone or Sunday alone.

This is what I want to tell you.

God bless you.

letterdeemed....I gather that you do not believe in the resurrection that takes place when Jesus returns. I always thought that all christians would have to pass the test of the anti-christ. You are quoting verses and telling us what they mean....ummm by what authority?? Here is another take on the 70th ...week...7 years. Beginning of the week...Jesus is baptized. In the middle of the week(3 yrs later)...Jesus is crucified. At the end of the 7th year...Stephen(who is christ-like) is stoned to death. The gospel then goes to the gentiles by Paul.

Of course it started with JESUS and then to Peter ,then to paul. As Paul was used to lead most gentiles!

The sabbath was sat .

Heb 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchizedek, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

Heb 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Heb 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the

. Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things

OF course, This NEW WAY, Did not come into affect, until after the LORD died!

Heb 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Heb 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

Heb 9:16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
Heb 9:17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

It Did NOT start ,Until HIS DEATH!

He has too give HIS Lives Blood and body for this NEW WAY OF LIFE!:love:

Many even NOW,Reject it ????:love:

The Sabbath given to the Jews was on Saturdays

You're right, sister. And the Sabbath was for the Jews. Although, if people want to set aside a day of rest, I do not see a problem with that.

Exodus 31:16-17
16 "Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a SIGN between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed." KJV

Jiggy....those laws eched in stone still lead to death....in fact the law only points out ...what sin is. if you are a sinner and do not repent...you will die. remember that death is not a friend but an enemy..and the bible says it will be the last enemy to be destroyed...but that is yet future. Sin is the transgression of the law. Are you saved for keeping them ...no. But they are part of our character building.

I am struggling to understand your position on the matter, could you please elaborate?

GOD has made us NEW CREATURES!
He has provided All things for us [the new creature]

He has a New Spiritual REST for our Spirit!
In this REST, We do nothing, The HOLY GHOST takes over our flesh !

Heb 4:5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.
Heb 4:6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

:love:
The Bible does not teach a great deal of this NEW REST!
But, I have experienced it!

ASK the LORD to allow you to enter into it!

Dear sister,

Let me remind you that we are living in the days of the new covenant, not the old covenant. So let us not mix the old covenant with the new one. We do need to worship God, everyday, not just Saturday alone or Sunday alone.

This is what I want to tell you.

God bless you.

Blessings to you also! The new covenant merely changed the laws to being written in our hearts, instead of being on stone. This doesn't mean we can ignore what those laws are. And I am not saying we shouldn't worship God everyday, but we should also set aside the one day to devote ourselves COMPLETELY to Him. The day He chose was the 7th day. The other 6 days we are to work and provide for our family. This by no means, means we shouldn't praise Him everyday.

You're right, sister. And the Sabbath was for the Jews. Although, if people want to set aside a day of rest, I do not see a problem with that.

Exodus 31:16-17
16 "Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17 It is a SIGN between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed." KJV

Ah, but there lies a problem! The Sabbath was made for man, not just for the Jews! God told the Israelites to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. It was established at creation, and they had forgotten to keep it during the time of their captivity in Egypt.

This makes no sense whatsoever, and I don't know what doctrine you take this from. Sin is sin. There is no such thing as any sin but the kind you WILLFULLY do. We have free will to do right (be godly) or wrong (sin willfully). There is no two versions of how we sin.

There may be sins we committed unknowingly which we must ask the Holy Spirit in prayer to reveal those to us so we can resolve them, confess them and move on. That's totally different from sins we are clearly aware of. For example, if someone who is newly saved in Christ and just started reading the Word, did not have Scriptural knowledge that staring at a woman lustfully is sinful, they will not know that until they read the Word and receive the truth. Not the greatest example, but you get the point.

However, sin is sin and there is only one kind of sin - the ones we do willfully.

If there were only one type of sin, then why would Jesus clearly warn about the unforgivable sin? This clearly makes the distinction between the two types of sin.

Ah, but there lies a problem! The Sabbath was made for man, not just for the Jews! God told the Israelites to remember the Sabbath and keep it holy. It was established at creation, and they had forgotten to keep it during the time of their captivity in Egypt.

Is there scripture supporting Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, or Joseph keeping the sabbath?

How would one keep the sabbath holy?

We LIVE under More perfect LAWS. LAWS that were before MANKIND.
The LAW of LOVE and FAITH.

These are HEAVENS laws and rules!

The royal law is a heavenly law!

Gal 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Jas 2:8 If ye fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, ye do well:

LOVE fulfills all the laws 100%

Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Is there scripture supporting Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, or Joseph keeping the sabbath?

How would one keep the sabbath holy?

Actually, yes there is scripture. Genesis 26:5 "Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws". Since Issaac was Abraham's son, and was also blessed by God, he must also have kept the Sabbath. God will not bless those who do not obey Him. Also, Abel kept the Sabbath. He was known as a "man of righteousness", and since Psalms 119:172 explains "all Your commandments are righteousness", it is logical to conclude he kept the Sabbath. Noah, as a preacher of righteousness, (2Peter 2:5) would have kept it as well.
To keep the Sabbath holy one must take the time to just sit back, relax, and commune with God. My personal way of keeping the Sabbath is to pray, listen to sermons, and generally reflect on how important it is that God is in my life now. I also try not to do any major work in the Sabbath. It is a time of rest for me. These are my 2cents.:wink:

Actually, yes there is scripture. Genesis 26:5 "Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws". Since Issaac was Abraham's son, and was also blessed by God, he must also have kept the Sabbath. God will not bless those who do not obey Him. Also, Abel kept the Sabbath. He was known as a "man of righteousness", and since Psalms 119:172 explains "all Your commandments are righteousness", it is logical to conclude he kept the Sabbath. Noah, as a preacher of righteousness, (2Peter 2:5) would have kept it as well.
To keep the Sabbath holy one must take the time to just sit back, relax, and commune with God. My personal way of keeping the Sabbath is to pray, listen to sermons, and generally reflect on how important it is that God is in my life now. I also try not to do any major work in the Sabbath. It is a time of rest for me. These are my 2cents.:wink:

This is your view and is very speculative.

Can I ask, how did the priests in the old covenant keep (occupy) the sabbath?

Last edited:
This is your view and is very speculative.

Can I ask, how did the priests in the old covenant keep (occupy) the sabbath?

Yes, of course this is my view on how to keep the Sabbath, as stated previously, it is how I keep it.
Ask away! The priests in the O.T. kept the Sabbath by keeping up the temple. They actually did work on the Sabbath, but this was forgiven because they were working for God, to keep the temple in order. They had to keep the temple clean, make sure the fire in the temple never went out, and help others with sacrifices, among other things.

Yes, of course this is my view on how to keep the Sabbath, as stated previously, it is how I keep it.
Ask away! The priests in the O.T. kept the Sabbath by keeping up the temple. They actually did work on the Sabbath, but this was forgiven because they were working for God, to keep the temple in order. They had to keep the temple clean, make sure the fire in the temple never went out, and help others with sacrifices, among other things.

So who are the priests and what is the temple in the new covenant?
See the fact is it is completely impossible for anyone to keep old covenant practices without compromising who they are in the new covenant.

Where is scripture telling the gentiles or the church of God to keep the Sabbath?

We live Under the law of CHRIST JESUS!

This is a new way of life!

Sin is rebellion to GOD.
Our NEW CREATURE, Will Never rebell against GOD,EVER!

Our flesh will, it has a Sin nature. We do not !

understanding ,What GOD has made us to be , is Very important.
Also understanding when the NEW TESTAMENT begins is also very important !

And Why we live under the NEW AGREEMENT !

Because, trying to live under the torah is impossible and also ,Slaps our LORD in the FACE!

In the old testament, it was an eye for an eye.
In the NEW? We do not have this right any more. We must turn the other cheek now and He deals with those who seek to hurt us!

We now belong to HIm 100% everything we have and are.

We serve HIM 24/7
He in return? Allows us to live in great liberty.

We Do not want to sin or do anything, that might displease our LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.