• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The River of the Water of Life, and the Tree of Life.

Loyal
The last chapter of the Bible mentions a river. But not just any river...

Rev 22:1; Then he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb,
Rev 22:2; in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Water.... clear as crystal... coming from... the throne of God.

On both side of this river, was a tree of life. Now these trees have 12 kinds of fruit.
...and the leaves were for the healing of the nations. (more about that in a moment)

There is a similar passage in the old testament.

Now there are some metaphors in the Bible about a tree of life.

Prov 3:18 She (wisdom) is a tree of life to those who take hold of her, And happy are all who hold her fast.
Prov 11:30; The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who is wise wins souls.
Prov 13:12; Hope deferred makes the heart sick, But desire fulfilled is a tree of life.
Prov 15:4; A soothing tongue is a tree of life, But perversion in it crushes the spirit.

But also it seems there is actually a real tree. Or perhaps a number of trees.

Rev 2:7; 'He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life which is in the Paradise of God.'
Rev 22:14; Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.
Rev 22:19; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

Ezekiel speaks of similar things.

Ezek 47:2; He brought me out by way of the north gate and led me around on the outside to the outer gate by way of the gate that faces east. And behold, water was trickling from the south side.
Ezek 47:3; When the man went out toward the east with a line in his hand, he measured a thousand cubits, and he led me through the water, water reaching the ankles.
Ezek 47:4; Again he measured a thousand and led me through the water, water reaching the knees. Again he measured a thousand and led me through the water, water reaching the loins.
Ezek 47:5; Again he measured a thousand; and it was a river that I could not ford, for the water had risen, enough water to swim in, a river that could not be forded.
Ezek 47:6; He said to me, "Son of man, have you seen this?" Then he brought me back to the bank of the river.
Ezek 47:7; Now when I had returned, behold, on the bank of the river there were very many trees on the one side and on the other.

Ezek 47:12; "By the river on its bank, on one side and on the other, will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither and their fruit will not fail. They will bear every month because their water flows from the sanctuary, and their fruit will be for food and their leaves for healing."

Now if indeed all of this is speaking of the New Jerusalem, and the throne of God is there, and the river of life flows from this throne...

It seems the throne where the river begins, will be on the "south side" (verse 2) of this place.
Also this river gets deeper and deeper the further out it goes.

Just like in Revelation, this river has trees. In this case "all kinds of trees" for food.
The trees in Revelation have 12 kinds of fruit, but the trees on Ezekiel are "all kinds" (perhaps 12 kinds)
Both books have a river with trees on either side. Book books say the leaves of these trees are for healing.

It's interesting, the fruit is for eating (food), but the leaves are for healing.
(Rev 22:2; Ezek 47:12; )

One interesting question this brings up is... who will need to be healed? If there is no more sickness, pain, suffering, etc....
who are these nations that will need healing from the leaves?

It seems there may be unsaved" people outside the city, even at this time?

Rev 22:14; Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15; Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

Some people can enter the New Jerusalem, but others will not be able to.

Loyal
I made a joke about no fishermen in heaven in another thread. But if Ezekiel is speaking of the river of life, consider this...

Ezek 47:10; "And it will come about that fishermen will stand beside it; from Engedi to Eneglaim there will be a place for the spreading of nets. Their fish will be according to their kinds, like the fish of the Great Sea, very many.

Loyal
Another thought about the tree of life, it that it was in the garden of Eden as well.

Gen 3:22; Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"—
Gen 3:23; therefore the LORD God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken.
Gen 3:24; So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

If you ate from the tree of life, you lived "forever".

Loyal
I find it amazing, when talking with none believers, they remember bits of the sunday school stories, Adam and Eve, Noah and the flood etc.

Many people I have spoken to about creation have said, 'Oh yes, I remember Adam ate for the tree of life'

As we know it was not the Tree of Life, as we also know the devil deceived Eve and Adam sinned.

Loyal
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

The word, "right" means "to have the ability to do something" What would give anyone the ability to eat from the tree of life? Doing his commandments surely refers to operating within the law of faith which makes all things possible.

Verse 15 are those who not do his commandments so they can not enter within the city to get access to the tree of life. Sounds like the scripture is talking about right now, not at some later time.

I wonder what it means, "to come boldly to the throne of grace that you receive mercy in a time of need" The throne of grace must be within the walls of the city.

2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Loyal
What is very interesting is that the KJV is pretty much the only translation that says, " Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, " All other translations say, "Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life,"

Evidently
doing his commandments is the same thing as "washing our robes......" There is only way I know of washing our robes......

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Loyal
I made a joke about no fishermen in heaven in another thread. But if Ezekiel is speaking of the river of life, consider this...

Ezek 47:10; "And it will come about that fishermen will stand beside it; from Engedi to Eneglaim there will be a place for the spreading of nets. Their fish will be according to their kinds, like the fish of the Great Sea, very many.
If you will check your Bible map you will see that Engedi is located on what we call now the Dead Sea because no fish can live in that water. The prophecy is indicating that things will change. That Dead Sea will no longer be dead but filled with Life.