• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Peril of Greed

Staff Member
The greedy stir up conflict, but those who trust in the LORD will prosper. Proverbs 28:25 NIV

The greedy stir up conflict. It shouldn't surprise any believer when real life reflects the truths of scripture. But probably no starker example of this is the conflict the sin of greed so often causes. Think of Bernie Madoff, Joseph Nacchio, Bernard Ebbers, and a host of others. Each of these men's crimes resulted in billions of dollars in losses to those they defrauded…and also landed them in prison.

The apostle Paul uses the phrase "the love of money" to describe greed. And he warns that those who engage in that sin do so at the risk of their eternal souls (see 1 Timothy 6:9-10).

Today's verse contrasts two different heart attitudes: that of greed, and that of trust in God. It's not a stretch, then, to infer from this verse that greed and trust in God cannot dwell within the same heart and mind. In other words, if you trust in God, then there is no place in your heart for greed.

Do you want to guard your heart against the sin of greed? Then devote yourself to trusting in God to care for you and provide for you.

Prayer: Father, You are my Protector and provider, and I ask You to teach me to trust in You and not in financial riches, lest I fall into the sin of greed.