• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Passion of the Christ - by Mel Gibson

Administrator
Staff Member
Ok...this is the offical thread for the movie that we all know is already an instant classic drawing both believers and unbelievers worldwide to see the movie. Nothing attracts more attention (be it good or bad) than the name Jesus Christ. Overall, its beautiful. When one life gets saved its more than enough done. But, there is lifetime of work, preaching, healing, growing in faith and so on. This movie portrays our beautiful Jesus Christ in the last 12hours. I have yet to see it but will certainly do so soon. Talk about it on this thread.

Saw the movie with my wife and youngest sone (13) Saturday night. I still do not have the words to tell just what I feel. Seemed like the fastest two hours in my life? I only saw one guy move during the whole movie, and the quite at the end of the movie! No one said a word.
I will be taking the teen group to see it this Thursday night. I really like the movie. Go see it!

I thought the snake Jesus stepped on at the start of the movie was a nice touch, see Gen 3:15.

And I wonder what people think about how Mary was shown in the movie. Do you think she seemed to know a little more about what was going on in the movie, than what we might think from the Bible account?

Administrator
Staff Member
Are you saying no one said a word after the movie because they were "blown away" so to speak? That would be great news of course. Also, I didn't see the movie yet but rest assured if Mary seemed to understand "more" of what was going on than shown in the Bible, all I can say is that by the time Jesus turned 33 and was about to be nailed on the cross she must've known by then what was happening. After all, Jesus had been preaching and teaching for 3 years by then.

Dunno why this is considered off topic, but ok!

The Movie is amazing, I can say that without even seeing, because I have seen how people are reacting to it. Can't wait to see it though. I've been to the Holy Lands and know how much of a spiritually uplifting experience that was.

On the subject of Mary, the Gospels aren't about her, hence we don't know what she knows or doesn't know, but consider this...

Luke 1: 26-38
In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a village in Galilee, to a virgin named Mary. She was engaged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of King David. Gabriel appeared to her and said, "Greetings, favored woman! The Lord is with you!"
Confused and disturbed, Mary tried to think what the angel could mean. "Don't be frightened, Mary," the angel told her, "for God has decided to bless you! You will become pregnant and have a son, and you are to name him Jesus. He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David. And he will reign over Israel forever; his Kingdom will never end!"
Mary asked the angel, "But how can I have a baby? I am a virgin."
The angel replied, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the baby born to you will be holy, and he will be called the Son of God. What's more, your relative Elizabeth has become pregnant in her old age! People used to say she was barren, but she's already in her sixth month. For nothing is impossible with God."
Mary responded, "I am the Lord's servant, and I am willing to accept whatever he wants. May everything you have said come true." And then the angel left.
If this happened to you and you later gave birth, you'd have a pretty good idea what was going on. Mary and Joseph had a big influence on Jesus. As all parents do.

Yes, I mean the crowd where blown away, as I was.

As far as what I was asking about Mary, just see the movie. It is true Jesus had been preaching what was going to happen to Him. But the 12 didn't get it, until after He came out of the grave, I don't see any indication from the Bible that Mary did either?

It's no big deal, perhaps others would not even notice? That is one reason I asked, but you do need to see the movie to understand where I'm coming from on this.

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm going to see it this Sunday. Can't wait! Will post my review. Actually, I'm so sure its an instant classic above all others in any genre in movies/films I feel like I can post a review already :)

I personally cannot watch this movie. Call it a guilty conscious or a tender heart but I just can't bear watching the horror my precious savior went through. Over me! It tears my heart out. I appreciate what he did for me I really do. Without him I'm nothing.

Administrator
Staff Member
I saw the movie on Sunday and I have to tell you there is no way, NO WAY anyone can top off that movie! The Passion of Christ was so pure, true, honest, NOT hollywood and incredibly touching even for unbelievers. Just like everyone (and I mean everyone emphasized) said the crowd was completely speechless after the movie and no one said a word. I was so devastated by what my Lord Jesus went through, for ME but yet so touched by His infinite and perfect love, grace. I couldn't believe it yet I believed it beyond any extent I've felt before. It certainly changed my attitude and at least in all honesty I can say that I now see sin a lot more (though not perfectly) through GOD's eyes than the eyes of my flesh (metaphorically speaking). Great movie. Go see it and be touched more than you've ever imagined. At least from watching a movie. Every actor was so incredibly real I felt like I was in the movie itself. The man that played Jesus was phenomenal. I'm telling you if he was any better of an actor you would think its Jesus Himself. In other words this movie was clearly obviously Holy Spirit driven just like Mel Gibson said himself. Amen!

I saw the move, it was out of this world. It made me think of all the Lord has done for me, it drawed me closer to God, it gave me hope knowing that I have a savour that cares for me that will never leave me nor forsake me. It let me now that when i'm in the valley of my trial he is the bright and morning star that watches over me and leads me to the top of the mountain, and that when satan tries to tempt me; He is my refuge because He is the only one who knows what I'm going through and he went through all temptation already. MY God, My Strength, My savour, My redemer, My everything. I am lost without him.

Yes i saw the movie when it came out too, and i thought i had posted here about it, but now i see that i didn't, sorry about the late post,

When i was watching the movie, i was crying while they beat my Saviour, and then when they started with the cat of nine tails, i almost threw up my lunch, i couldn't stand the fact of how horribly they ripped my Saviour's body to shreds like that, i wanted to get up there and take His place, and let them beat me instead of my Saviour ! ! ... i deserve it, Jesus didn't deserve to get beaten like that ! ! ! !

But Jesus allowed them to do it to Him because of His great love for us ! ! !

How can anyone see or understand what Jesus went through for us and not love Him ??

How can people how call themselves christians still be so selfish and live their lives the way they want to ??

We should all turn to GOD and ask HIM for forgiveness in our lax attitude about how we serve HIM, knowing what His Son did for us ! ! ! !

After seeing that movie, i find it very difficult to go back to church and continue to live the way we have done before. the church i was going to - the people went to see the movie as a group on a night that i couldn't go, so i went on a different day, but when i went back to church after that it is sad to say that i didn't see or feel a change in the people there, they commented on how great the movie was, but it didn't really change them.

How can people see that and it not change their lives ??

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm definitely going to buy it. I have been waiting since it was in theatres :)

'How can people see that and it not change their lives ??'

I was finding God when I watched the movie but had not yet been saved. It wasn't the movie that made me commit my life to Christ but it really opened my eyes. I was so shocked that it really made me think about what Christ done for me. I could not talk about it, in fact everyone went out for dinner after and I just couldn't eat and really felt like I would be physically sick-before I saw the movie I really don't think I realised what Christ had done for us all.

One Sunday in April after church I met some friends for coffee and they decided that they wanted to go and watch 'the' movie... I went with the group of friends with all different religious backgrounds: Orthodox, Catholic, Evangelical, Islamic and Atheist. This movie did reach everyone but not enough to make them understand what Christ done for them. In fact one of my Muslim friends cried and at one point even walked out.

As you can see that movie did change the lives of others...including myself and possibly even the thoughts of my friends even though we never really discussed this. Although I know that some of them could suffer alot in their life to accept Jesus Christ-I know that the Lord is opening the eyes of there hearts to him, slowly. It may seem that the people in your church haven't changed but I am sure that the movie affected them in a way. You will see a change, sometimes the effects are slower then we hope for but it is impossible for the movie to just go straight over our heads.

Administrator
Staff Member
Re: re: The Passion of the Christ - by Mel Gibson

sunrise said:
'How can people see that and it not change their lives ??'

I was finding God when I watched the movie but had not yet been saved. It wasn't the movie that made me commit my life to Christ but it really opened my eyes. I was so shocked that it really made me think about what Christ done for me. I could not talk about it, in fact everyone went out for dinner after and I just couldn't eat and really felt like I would be physically sick-before I saw the movie I really don't think I realised what Christ had done for us all.

One Sunday in April after church I met some friends for coffee and they decided that they wanted to go and watch 'the' movie... I went with the group of friends with all different religious backgrounds: Orthodox, Catholic, Evangelical, Islamic and Atheist. This movie did reach everyone but not enough to make them understand what Christ done for them. In fact one of my Muslim friends cried and at one point even walked out.

As you can see that movie did change the lives of others...including myself and possibly even the thoughts of my friends even though we never really discussed this. Although I know that some of them could suffer alot in their life to accept Jesus Christ-I know that the Lord is opening the eyes of there hearts to him, slowly. It may seem that the people in your church haven't changed but I am sure that the movie affected them in a way. You will see a change, sometimes the effects are slower then we hope for but it is impossible for the movie to just go straight over our heads.

Well put sunrise. Good to see you here on the board. I was already saved 2 years by the time I saw the movie but it certainly is going to make every person think when they VISUALLY see a practically perfect example of what Jesus gone through and did for us and how much GOD loves us. I'm telling you NO ONE that I spoke to who saw the movie was not affected in one way or another. EVERYONE was blown away. This is a true Holy Spirit driven miraculous gift from GOD to the lost and even saved. Amen :)

I believe that to because the Bible say that an angel came to mary and told her what would take place.

The best time to see the movie is alone

:cat: I've seen the movie 5 times with others, but when I saw the movie completely by myself, it had a greater impact. I too loved the snake being crushed in the head.

Unfortunately, some long time Christians did not like it, because things were added which were not in the Bible. That hurt me to see them unaffected. They didn't shed one tear, where I couldn't stop. I've been a Christian for 20 years and I cry out each day to the Lord in praise and worship for saving me. It seems as each day passes, my salvation means so much more. I guess it's because I almost died two years before God showed me the truth about my need for salvation. Even when I share my testimony, I can't do it without tearing up.

I know the movie was annointed. Evening the scorging was appropriately done in the movie. I rejoiced when I saw the "Miracle's of the Passion," which showed how the movie affected people. The movie is a Blessing to so many. I saw the making of the movie too, which probably is on the DVD. The miracles that happened making the movie, showed God's hand was with them. I've seen many versions of Jesus' death and resurrection, but they watered everything down. "The Passion of the Christ" shows the unadulterated truth and because of this, many Christians are being changed and transformed into a deeper relationship with Christ. I think it even affected the elections too, because the number of Christians who voted this year way out numbers the 2000 elections. I think it sparked people to stand up for God in this country. I really believe God purposed Mel Gibson to do this movie at the perfect time.

By the way, there is another Biblical movie coming out March 25, 2005, by Christians, it's called "One Night With The King." It's the story of Esther, how through her the Jewish nation was saved from being wiped off the face of the earth. So this movie will touch Christians as well as the Jews. The person that cast for "The Passion...", is the same person who is casting this movie. The son of the founder of the Christian cable station TBN, is the one is putting this movie together. This movie is going to be amazing, but of course not anywhere close to being as amazing as "The Passion..." is.

Also too, I think Mary definitely knew a lot. Mary pondered in her heart about things concerning Jesus. Being a mother of two grown children, and one being a son, Mary's part really spoke to me. Specially when she ran to Christ when he fell and she flash backs, then Jesus says, "I make all things knew" and it gave him strength to go on. That part really touched me the most. I pictured my son, and knowing my son, I think I am a source of his strength, in a deep mother & son relationship.

I am awestruck by the love and grace the Lord has for me. But even more as I grow more and more in my worship to Him. I think that is the secret to an ultimate relationship to Christ, after all, look what he did for us. Jesus is worthy for GREAT PRAISE! :rose:

On a note to all the people in the post, Id admit that the movie was strong and influential, but Id like to know where all the money made from the movie is going, after paying salaries and production costs. Will Mel just put it in his own pocket? Give it to the Catholic church? Im just curious...if anyone already knows where it all went let me know :) Interesting because people are making money off this movie, a movie about JESUS CHRIST.... remember when Jesus stormed out the gamblers who were making money in the temple. Dont you think maybe nowadays people are making money off of Jesus's name? No accusations, but just a thought for you to consider... ;) God bless.

Very good point made there, I never thought about that, it is true as you say its does say in the Bible about Jesus over turning the tables because of the wrong doings of the people, making money and it is not right I don't think so anyway to make money using the name of Jesus as he would not want that unless it was to help the needy, but did it? as you say, or did Mel pocket it.

I remember reading that Mel had this on his mind for a number
of years and wanted the world to see how Jesus suffered for us.
I do believe as you do he didn't do it for the money from it,
but what are your thoughts in general about going to the 'cinema'
I know many Christians some say they would never go to one
others go, myself I went because it was a Biblical film, and wanted
my husband to see it, so therefore the 'cinema' thought never
entered my head, I would not go to see a film like I would have done
before I go saved, but the other week when the grandchildren
were off for halloween we did take them to see an animated film
now was that wrong of me? I wonder.
At our ladies meeting the speaker said she had never been inside a
cinema and wouldn't to see anything because other people would
see her as being a Christian and doing 'worldly' things they wouldn't
know if she were going to see a biblical film or not they would
just see her as being in a cinema.
What's your thoughts on this one? also anyone?