• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Marriage & Divorce Of Sin - A Mini Bible Study

Active
This mini Bible Study will cover the Scriptures Romans 6:1 thru 8:17. It is my desire the the Holy Spirit of our mighty God the Father & His Son Jesus the Christ will guide us thru this very important teaching of how to have victory over being held prisoner to the law of sin and death.

The Apostle Paul makes a statement that we all echo, (KJV) "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" Since we all sin and come short of the glory of God, I believe we need to find the answer to how the law of sin effects us as the Apostle demonstrates the fight we all experience on a daily basis "I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate."

The Setting:
Romans 6:1 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."

All Scripture that I present will be from the King James Version (KJV) unless otherwise noted.

Paul asks a question that I've asked myself ever since I was saved in November 1074. How can I, who is dead to sin, keep sinning?

Verse 4 says, "Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? " Now, this is not just something good to read. This is a statement of almighty God (YHWH) a declaration of our position with Him thru our initial Baptism into the Family of God when we were saved by faith and the Grace Of God.

A declaration of God means it happened and nothing can change what God declares because He is Sovereign. Therefore my friends, it happened, it's true!! When we got saved we also died. Died to what? Died to our old way of living, the "old man" Dead is dead!!

Now, the initial Baptism that we had at Salvation was done by the Holy Spirit. By His supernatural power He made us a Child of our Heavenly Father. Then we were, and should be, Baptized by immersion in water. When we were Baptized in water, we went under the surface of the water thus identifying with Christ Jesus' burial under the ground when He died.

Folks, we died!! Death means no more living, none!! Ok, since we died, we can't sin anymore right? Doesn't that make sense? No more sin because now I'm dead. Good news though. Just as Jesus the Son of God was raised from being dead, the Father and the Holy Spirit together exercised great power in raising Jesus from the grave, and as soon as He broke the surface of the ground, He was in His new resurrected life.

Just as Jesus, once He broke thru the surface of the ground, like Jesus, we broke thru the surface of the water, and immediately we were in our new life.... 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."

Now, the above verse has a lot of teachers saying that all things are PASSING away and all things are BECOMING new. I reject that interpretation because it's an open invitation to keep on sinning until they reach a certain spiritual place where they are much more spiritual.

The Scripture, taken literally, is, old things are gone!! All things are new!! No excuses here our lives are new now, and our old life or old man passed away and is gone. Jesus didn't have a progressive new resurrected life, it didn't get new a little at a time, NO, it was new instantaneously, and so is ours.

Brothers and Sisters, we have to take out our excuses to sin. Notice again what this says....Romans 6:1 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

So that you can study for our next session, we will cover verses 5 - 11.

Loyal
6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."

I notice this isn't God talking directly, but rather God through Paul.
The other thing I notice here, is the word "should". (NASB says "might"). we 'should' walk in newness of life.
I'm not really sure that can be taken as a guarantee that we always will.

However I am in agreement with you about the main premise here. We should avoid sin as much as possible.
Whether or not we can be 100% successful or not remains to be seen.

Active
I notice this isn't God talking directly, but rather God through Paul.
The other thing I notice here, is the word "should". (NASB says "might"). we 'should' walk in newness of life.
I'm not really sure that can be taken as a guarantee that we always will.

However I am in agreement with you about the main premise here. We should avoid sin as much as possible.
Whether or not we can be 100% successful or not remains to be seen.

I agree, "should" is not a guarantee, it is what we aim to do. Sure we will fail, but that shouldn't keep us from what we know we should do. We ask forgiveness and get right back into our walk in newness of life.

Thank you for your reply.

Active

RJ

The Apostle Paul makes a statement that we all echo, (KJV) "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" Since we all sin and come short of the glory of God, I believe we need to find the answer to how the law of sin effects us as the Apostle demonstrates the fight we all experience on a daily basis "I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate."
Paul subsequently answered these questions in Romans 8: 1

I love the sense of humor God has given us:) I remember thinking there would never be anymore fun if I got saved;) Thanks guys:)

Just a quick reply (and everyone did the "wave") but I see myself dead yes, but dead in Christ. To me that means that as long as I am following His lead, I won't sin. But my human nature has not been killed, and is not dead, so I myself, of myself, sins. To leave God out of anything can lead me into sin of some sort. Very, good read @Chopper, @B-A-C , @RJ. I am pretty sure this is an open thread, hope I haven't stumbled into the men's forum??