• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Love of $$$$

Loyal
The Bible talks about few things more than it does money. Sometimes in a positive way, but much more
often in a negative way. There are so many verses about this, I doubt they will all fit in one posting, but
we will see what we can do.

Heb 13:5; Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"

1 Tim 6:10; For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

1 Tim 3:2; An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
1 Tim 3:3; not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money.

Matt 19:23; And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 19:24; "Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
Mark 10:25; "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
Luke 18:25; "For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

James 2:5; Listen, my beloved brethren: did not God choose the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?

Hmmm... "to those who love Him". This similar to the next verse.

Matt 6:24; "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Luke 16:13; "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth."

Jude 1:21; keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.

Who do you love?

Acts 20:35; "In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He Himself said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'"

Matt 19:21; Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

Luke 12:33; "Sell your possessions and give to charity; make yourselves money belts which do not wear out, an unfailing treasure in heaven, where no thief comes near nor moth destroys.
Luke 12:34; "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matt 6:31; "Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'
Matt 6:32; "For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
Matt 6:33; "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Luke 16:19; "Now there was a rich man, and he habitually dressed in purple and fine linen, joyously living in splendor every day.
Luke 16:25; "But Abraham said, 'Child, remember that during your life you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus bad things; but now he is being comforted here, and you are in agony.

Matt 6:19; "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
Matt 6:20; "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;

Luke 12:19; 'And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years to come; take your ease, eat, drink and be merry."'
Luke 12:20; "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and now who will own what you have prepared?'
Luke 12:21; "So is the man who stores up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."

Luke 12:15; Then He said to them, "Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions."

Rom 1:29; being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips,
Eph 5:3; But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;
Col 3:5 Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.

... I'm out of time this morning... more to come.

Loyal
One of the ways "to get more money". Everything comes from God, but it's how responsible we are with what He gives us that makes a difference.

Mal 3:7; "From the days of your fathers you have turned aside from My statutes and have not kept them. Return to Me, and I will return to you," says the LORD of hosts. "But you say, 'How shall we return?'
Mal 3:8; "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me! But you say, 'How have we robbed You?' In tithes and offerings.
Mal 3:9; "You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing Me, the whole nation of you!
Mal 3:10; "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.
Mal 3:11; "Then I will rebuke the devourer for you, so that it will not destroy the fruits of the ground; nor will your vine in the field cast its grapes," says the LORD of hosts.
Mal 3:12; "All the nations will call you blessed, for you shall be a delightful land," says the LORD of hosts.

Mark 12:41; And He sat down opposite the treasury, and began observing how the people were putting money into the treasury; and many rich people were putting in large sums.
Mark 12:42; A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which amount to a cent.
Mark 12:43; Calling His disciples to Him, He said to them, "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the contributors to the treasury[/b];
Mark 12:44; for they all put in out of their surplus, but she, out of her poverty, put in all she owned, all she had to live on."

Luke 6:24; "But woe to you who are rich, for you are receiving your comfort in full.
Luke 6:25; "Woe to you who are well-fed now, for you shall be hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep.

Luke 14:12; And He also went on to say to the one who had invited Him, "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, otherwise they may also invite you in return and that will be your repayment.

1 Tim 6:9; But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction.

1 Tim 6:17; Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy.

Jas 1:11; For the sun rises with a scorching wind and withers the grass; and its flower falls off and the beauty of its appearance is destroyed; so too the rich man in the midst of his pursuits will fade away.

Rev 3:17; 'Because you say, "I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing," and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked,

Luke 6:38' "Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.

Active
I think in america where prosperity gospel originated...the problem has been that on their banknotes it says in God we trust. Many people confuse this god (money) with God of the Bible.

But they are totally different.

Loyal
Ok. I've heard some bad sh...tuff about Joel Osteen today....Tell me what's so bad about him. I've only started looking at the man. He does not take a salary. He never asks for money but the money rolls in anyway......He preaches the love of God......What is the problem with the man. I'm only asking about Joel Osteen....Is there really something bad about him or are people listening to haters on Youtube?

Loyal
Here's a list of the titles of his books from the past 10 years or so. I've not read any of them. What stands out to me from the titles alone is the emphasis on the individual and on self improvement.
  • The power of I am 2015
  • Your best life now 2004
  • Become a better you 2007
  • I declare - 31 promises to speak over your life 2012
  • Every day a Friday - How to Be Happier 7 Days a Week 2011
  • You can you will - 8 undeniable qualities of a winner 2014
  • Break Out!: 5 Keys to Go Beyond Your Barriers and Live an Extraordinary Life 2013
  • Fresh start - the new you begins today 2015

And here's the promotional copy from 'I AM'

Can two words give you the power to change your life? Yes, they can! In his new book, Joel Osteen shares a profound principle based on one simple truth: Whatever follows the words "I am" will always come looking for you. His insights and encouragement are illustrated with amazing stories of people who turned their lives around by focusing on the positive power of this principle. With THE POWER OF I AM as a guide, readers will stop criticizing themselves and instead discover their inner strengths, natural talents, and unique abilities that will make them prosper with self-assurance. Readers can choose to rise to a new level and invite God's goodness by focusing on I AM.​

Loyal
I have herd him say Jesus died so I could be rich and live in a big house, or something along those lines, Jesus did not die so I could be wealthy or poor he died so my sins could be washed away so I could have eternal life, the man does not know why Jesus died. when you publish a book that states your best life now, I guess you might not really believe in glorified body because my best life is going to be with Jesus in my new glorified body. He is a wolf in sheep clothing. Very subtle.

Loyal
From the 'what we believe' section of his website:

We Believe…
  • …the entire Bible is inspired by God, without error and the authority on which we base our faith, conduct and doctrine.
  • …in one God who exists in three distinct persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. We believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God who came to this earth as Savior of the world.
  • …Jesus died on the cross and shed His blood for our sins. We believe that salvation is found by placing our faith in what Jesus did for us on the cross. We believe Jesus rose from the dead and is coming again.
  • …water baptism is a symbol of the cleansing power of the blood of Christ and a testimony to our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
  • …in the regular taking of Communion as an act of remembering what the Lord Jesus did for us on the cross.
  • …every believer should be in a growing relationship with Jesus by obeying God’s Word, yielding to the Holy Spirit and by being conformed to the image of Christ.
  • …as children of God, we are overcomers and more than conquerors and God intends for each of us to experience the abundant life He has in store for us.

Loyal
Here's a list of the titles of his books from the past 10 years or so. I've not read any of them. What stands out to me from the titles alone is the emphasis on the individual and on self improvement.
  • The power of I am 2015
  • Your best life now 2004
  • Become a better you 2007
  • I declare - 31 promises to speak over your life 2012
  • Every day a Friday - How to Be Happier 7 Days a Week 2011
  • You can you will - 8 undeniable qualities of a winner 2014
  • Break Out!: 5 Keys to Go Beyond Your Barriers and Live an Extraordinary Life 2013
  • Fresh start - the new you begins today 2015

And here's the promotional copy from 'I AM'

Can two words give you the power to change your life? Yes, they can! In his new book, Joel Osteen shares a profound principle based on one simple truth: Whatever follows the words "I am" will always come looking for you. His insights and encouragement are illustrated with amazing stories of people who turned their lives around by focusing on the positive power of this principle. With THE POWER OF I AM as a guide, readers will stop criticizing themselves and instead discover their inner strengths, natural talents, and unique abilities that will make them prosper with self-assurance. Readers can choose to rise to a new level and invite God's goodness by focusing on I AM.​

Ok. I don't see anything wrong in the titles. I'm acquiring the books. I can agree with the I Am thing too.

Loyal
Ok. I don't see anything wrong in the titles. I'm acquiring the books. I can agree with the I Am thing too.
I tried to paste a list of I am's that I compiled a few years ago. For some reason pasting is not easy on this page.

Active
I would just add "them that trust in riches" in (Mark 10:24) which is the sum of the matter for everyone to take heed of.

Loyal
I would just add "them that trust in riches" in (Mark 10:24) which is the sum of the matter for everyone to take heed of.
How do you know who is trusting in riches and who is simply blessed?

And what about the Old Covenant saints that were all stinking rich? Were they greedy too?

Loyal
Ha! I got it...Now I don't remember why I wanted to put it here...LOL Oh Yeah. Joel Osteens "I am" book..

Because He IS I am... 1 I am a child of God (Romans 8:16)
2 I am Redeemed from the hand of the enemy (Psalm 107:2)
3 I am Forgiven (Colossians 1:13,14)
4 I am Saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8)
5 I am Justified (Romans 5:1)
6 I am Sanctified (1 Corinthians 6:11)
7 I am a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17)
8 I am partaker of His Divine Nature (2 Peter 1:4)
9 I am redeemed from the curse of the Law (Galatians 3:13)
10 I am delivered from the powers of darkness (Colossians 1:13)
11 I am led by the Spirit of God (Romans 8:14)
12 I am a son of God (Romans 8:14)
13 I am kept in safety wherever I go (Psalm 91:11)
14 I am getting all my needs met by Jesus (Philippians 4:19)
15 I am casting all my cares upon Jesus (1 Peter 5:7)
16 I am strong in the Lord and in the power of His might (Ephesians 6:10)
17 I am doing all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13)
18 I am an heir of God and a joint-heir with Jesus (Romans 8:17)
19 I am heir to the blessings of Abraham (Galatians 3:13,14)
20 I am observing and doing the Lord's Commandments (Deut 28:12)
21 I am blessed coming in and out (Deut 28:6)
22 I am an heir to eternal life (1 John 5:11,12)
23 I am blessed with all spiritual blessings (Ephesians 1:3)
24 I am healed by His stripes (1 Peter 2:24)
25 I am exercising my authority over the enemy (Luke 10:19)
26 I am above only and not beneath (Deut 28:13)
27 I am more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37)
28 I am establishing God's Word here on earth (Matthew 16:19)
29 I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and Word of my testimony (Revelation 12:11)
30 I am daily overcoming the devil (1 John 4:4)
31 I am not moved by what I see (2 Corinthians 4:18)
32 I am walking by faith and not by sight (2 Corinthians 5:7)
33 I am casting down vain imaginations (1 Corinthians 10:4,5)
34 I am bringing every thought into captivity (2 Corinthians 10:5)
35 I am being transformed by a renewed mind (Romans 12:1,2)
36 I am a laborer together with God (1 Corinthians 3:9)
37 I am the righteousness of God in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21)
38 I am an imitator of Jesus (Ephesians 5:1)
39 I am the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)
40 I am sanctified (purified; consecrated) Heb 2:11 / 10:10
41 I am blessing the Lord at all times and continually praising the Lord with my mouth Psa. 34:1
42 I am loved... therefore I can love. 1John 4:19
43 I am accepted in The Beloved Eph. 1:6
44 I am His workmanship, created in Jesus, the anointed, unto the good works, which He has planned for me to do. Eph 2:10
45 I am rich in all things good. 2 Cor. 8:9
46 I am crowned with loving kindness and tender mercies. Psalms. 103:4
47 I am the temple of the Living God. He lives in me. 2 Cor: 6:16
48 I am living by faith Rom. 1:17
49 I am blessed, because I believe God's Word Lu. 1; 37-45
50 I am holy for I trust in, and rely on Him Psa. 86
51 I am fearfully and wonderfully made Psalm 139:14
52 I am free from the law of sin and death in Christ.(The Anointed One and His Anointing) Romans 8:2
53 I am free of all guilt in the anointing. Romans 8:1
54 I cannot be separated from the Love of God. Romans 8:39
55 I am triumphant in the anointing 2 Corinthians 2:14
56 I have been raised up to sit in heavenly places Ephesians 2:6
57 I am called with a holy calling 2 Timothy 1:9
58 I dwell in God and God dwells in be because of the anointing 1John 4:16
59 I am the head and not the tail Deuteronomy 28:13

I believe that the words "I Am" are two of the most powerful words a believer can say because they will lock them in with the Father. God is therefore I am. Claiming these promises these words of the bible will have the effect of clarifying (perfecting) our awareness of our identity with Divinity which conceives and controls all the details of our lives by faith.

Loyal
Honestly, to me this feels more like the western cult of success driven individualism dressed in Christian clothes than the way of life lived and taught by Jesus.

"Whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."

One of the ways "to get more money". Everything comes from God, but it's how responsible we are with what He gives us that makes a difference.
The problem is believing that money is the saviour.

Loyal
The main thing about guys like this Joel is there message does not work in a third world country. The Gospel of Jesus works every where in the world. THere are people in other parts of the world, that when they believe in Christ are thrown out of there homes and people in there villages wont have anything to do with them and they are joyful over it for they know there reward will come when they endure, this is happening all over the world in india and china and many more places, the prosperity gospel simply does not work for these people. For Jesus says we will suffer because of his name and these people are experiencing that right now, do you guys know in Nepal a new law makes it illegal to convert to Christianity, the message of the bible is not always a feel good be happy message there are people in the world that are being heavily persecuted because of there faith, and you know what they ask us to pray not that it stops, but that they have the strength to endure it for there reward will be great. There is much joy in suffering for the name of Jesus Christ, is what my bible teaches!!!

I know over here we do not experience it for the most part, although I see it creeping in to us. Try praying in a public school before class starts. God uses trials and tribulations to help us grow in faith, is what my bible teaches. try being the kid to stand up for what is right when everyone is doing wrong, yes the road to Christian life is tough road that is not always easy to endure, is what my bible teaches

Jesus the bible is for everyone, and A LOT of the world suffer because they accept him as savior, they do not prosper IN A WORLDY SENSE, they do in spiritual sense wich is far more valuable. My bible teaches not to live for the things of this world, live for the things in eternal life. can you not tell someones priorities by they way they live??