• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The Lord'sPrayer

Loyal
'And it came to pass,
.. that, as He was praying in a certain place,
.... when He ceased,
...... one of His disciples said unto Him,
........ "Lord, teach us to pray,
.......... as John also taught his disciples."

And He said unto them,
.. "When ye pray, say,
.... Our Father which art in heaven,
...... Hallowed be thy name.
........ Thy kingdom come.
.......... Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
........... Give us day by day our daily bread.
............ And forgive us our sins;
.............. for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us.
................ And lead us not into temptation;
.................. but deliver us from evil.'
(Luke 11:1-4)

Hello there,

This is the name given to the prayer that is recorded in Matthew 6, and is recited by congregations worldwide, in school assemblies - and in secular gatherings also in which there are mixed faiths or the lack of it, where it is deemed appropriate. It forms part of the sermon on the mount, given at the request of the disciples (Luke 11:1).

* This prayer is not offered 'in the name' of the Saviour. In John 16, the Lord said, 'Hitherto have ye asked nothing in My name'. This includes 'the Lord's prayer'. He continued by saying, 'Ask, and ye shall receive' (John 16:23,24) . Also in John 14:13-14, when addressing His disciples He said, 'And whatsoever ye shall ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.; If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.'

* The mediation of Christ Jesus the risen Lord, is a vital factor in prayer to God. Paul's prayers were directed to, 'The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ': terminology which can only be used by a believer; for in uttering it you are declaring the Lordship of Christ, that He is the Son of God. These words would not be uttered by one of another faith, or by one of no faith either: only by those who acknowledge the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ: and only such would ask anything in His Name.

* The prayer of Luke 11:1-4, lays out a format for prayer, it was not intended to be recited over and over and over, as it has been: either by those who believe in God and in the person and work of His precious Son; or by those who do not acknowledge the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ but go through the motions of religious rite for forms sake.

* The prayers of Ephesians and Colossians are so much more appropriate for the believer to pray, and the title 'The Lord's Prayer' much more appropriate to that of John 17.
'These words spake Jesus,
and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said,
"Father, the hour is come;
glorify thy Son,
that thy Son also may glorify thee: ... ... '
(John 17:1+)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Active
'And it came to pass,
.. that, as He was praying in a certain place,
.... when He ceased,
...... one of His disciples said unto Him,
........ "Lord, teach us to pray,
.......... as John also taught his disciples."

And He said unto them,
.. "When ye pray, say,
.... Our Father which art in heaven,
...... Hallowed be thy name.
........ Thy kingdom come.
.......... Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
........... Give us day by day our daily bread.
............ And forgive us our sins;
.............. for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us.
................ And lead us not into temptation;
.................. but deliver us from evil.'
(Luke 11:1-4)

Hello there,

This is the name given to the prayer that is recorded in Matthew 6, and is recited by congregations worldwide, in school assemblies - and in secular gatherings also in which there are mixed faiths or the lack of it, where it is deemed appropriate. It forms part of the sermon on the mount, given at the request of the disciples (Luke 11:1).

* This prayer is not offered 'in the name' of the Saviour. In John 16, the Lord said, 'Hitherto have ye asked nothing in My name'. This includes 'the Lord's prayer'. He continued by saying, 'Ask, and ye shall receive' (John 16:23,24) . Also in John 14:13-14, when addressing His disciples He said, 'And whatsoever ye shall ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.; If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.'

* The mediation of Christ Jesus the risen Lord, is a vital factor in prayer to God. Paul's prayers were directed to, 'The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ': terminology which can only be used by a believer; for in uttering it you are declaring the Lordship of Christ, that He is the Son of God. These words would not be uttered by one of another faith, or by one of no faith either: only by those who acknowledge the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ: and only such would ask anything in His Name.

* The prayer of Luke 11:1-4, lays out a format for prayer, it was not intended to be recited over and over and over, as it has been: either by those who believe in God and in the person and work of His precious Son; or by those who do not acknowledge the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ but go through the motions of religious rite for forms sake.

* The prayers of Ephesians and Colossians are so much more appropriate for the believer to pray, and the title 'The Lord's Prayer' much more appropriate to that of John 17.
'These words spake Jesus,
and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said,
"Father, the hour is come;
glorify thy Son,
that thy Son also may glorify thee: ... ... '
(John 17:1+)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Interesting I submit that The Lords Prayer has been mistranslated. Why would Jesus teach us to continually ask God to do what God has already done? But I submit that He taught us to make statements of faith, not requests. As Below:

Our Father which art in heaven---Deuteronomy 26:15 Look down from thy holy habitation, from heaven

Hallowed be thy name. ---1 Chronicles 16:10 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.

Thy kingdom come--- Luke 11:20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

Thy will be done in earth--- Hebrews 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God.

as it is in heaven--- Luke 11:2 Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

YOu give us this day our daily bread--- Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

And you forgive us our debts--- Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

as we forgive our debtors--- Matthew 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

You lead us not into temptation--- James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

but YOU deliver us from evil--- 2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

For thine is the kingdom--- Luke 22:30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

and the power, and the glory--- 1 Chronicles 29:11 Thine, O LORD is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.

Forever--- Exodus 15:18 The LORD shall reign for ever and ever. (ever= greek aiōn = an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity

Amen (so it is, so be it, may it be fulfilled)

This being so. The Lords Prayer would be a series of statements of faith. Not requests.

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

You give us this day our daily bread.

And you forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

You lead us not into temptation, but you deliver us from evil:

For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Loyal
Interesting I submit that The Lords Prayer has been mistranslated. Why would Jesus teach us to continually ask God to do what God has already done? But I submit that He taught us to make statements of faith, not requests. As Below:

Our Father which art in heaven---Deuteronomy 26:15 Look down from thy holy habitation, from heaven

Hallowed be thy name. ---1 Chronicles 16:10 Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.

Thy kingdom come--- Luke 11:20 But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

Thy will be done in earth--- Hebrews 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God.

as it is in heaven--- Luke 11:2 Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.

YOu give us this day our daily bread--- Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

And you forgive us our debts--- Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

as we forgive our debtors--- Matthew 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

You lead us not into temptation--- James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

but YOU deliver us from evil--- 2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

For thine is the kingdom--- Luke 22:30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

and the power, and the glory--- 1 Chronicles 29:11 Thine, O LORD is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all.

Forever--- Exodus 15:18 The LORD shall reign for ever and ever. (ever= greek aiōn = an unbroken age, perpetuity of time, eternity

Amen (so it is, so be it, may it be fulfilled)

This being so. The Lords Prayer would be a series of statements of faith. Not requests.

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

You give us this day our daily bread.

And you forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

You lead us not into temptation, but you deliver us from evil:

For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
Hello @Admon Mikha'el,

Thank you for this interesting, considered response. I appreciate your references as comparisons. I had not considered it as a series of statements of faith before. Interesting.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris