• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Last Supper or The Lord’s Supper???

Loyal
Wondering I am, Jesus called it the “Passover Meal”. And I will paraphrase here: the next time He will take part, it will be in The New Kingdom. He said something like this; when you do this, let it be in remembrance of me. Was it not a Passover Meal, it was not just crackers or wafers, or a sip of wine or grape juice. Passover has something to do with “when I see the blood I will pass over you”. The blood on the doorpost in Egypt . The blood of the Lamb [Jesus] on the cross. I will “Passover” you. Could that be a “Biblical Motif”? That cause for a meal and not a snack. IMO Who coin these words: “The Last Supper”, The Lord’s Supper”? I don’t see them in “The Bible”. A little extra credit for those who caught that little tidbit!❤️

Loyal
The NKJV calls it The Lord's Supper. It's also referred to as Taking Communion.

The Passover was when the blood was to be applied to the doorposts in Egypt. The angel of death would Pass over the houses with the blood on the doorposts.

Loyal
The term The Lord’s Supper is not in the the Bible or The Last Supper neither is the term The Communion in the Bible. It was the Passover Meal. He had.

Loyal
I found it, the term “the Lord’s Supper” it is in (1 Corinthians 11:20) and it was a meal not a snack.

I found it, the term “the Lord’s Supper” it is in (1 Corinthians 11:20) and it was a meal not a snack.
Just read what the churches did. They would assemble to eat together.

If you read all of 1 Corinthians 11 that pertains to this, Paul was upset that they came to just eat and drink for hunger purposes when it should be to "do this in remembrance"

20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

21 For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

22 What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

I am not saying they NEVER came to eat together to enjoy each others company and such, but there is clearly two distinct things going on here.

From what I read in scripture, my thoughts would be the same as this persons quote

"It is amazing that believers in Jesus meet on the Lord's day, the first day of the week, and do everything - sing, pray, give, study - except the one thing they are told to do to remember Jesus. The Lord's Supper is a memorial feast of unleaven bread and fruit of the vine that disciples eat to remember the death of Christ (Matthew 26:26-28; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26). Does anyone want to meet Jesus in judgment and have to explain that he assembled on the first day of the week in honor of his resurrection but didn't remember his death by taking of the Lord's Supper?"

Theres my two cents :)

Wondering I am, Jesus called it the “Passover Meal”. And I will paraphrase here: the next time He will take part, it will be in The New Kingdom. He said something like this; when you do this, let it be in remembrance of me. Was it not a Passover Meal, it was not just crackers or wafers, or a sip of wine or grape juice. Passover has something to do with “when I see the blood I will pass over you”. The blood on the doorpost in Egypt . The blood of the Lamb [Jesus] on the cross. I will “Passover” you. Could that be a “Biblical Motif”? That cause for a meal and not a snack. IMO Who coin these words: “The Last Supper”, The Lord’s Supper”? I don’t see them in “The Bible”. A little extra credit for those who caught that little tidbit!❤

When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. - 1 Cor. 11:20.

I am not saying they NEVER came to eat together to enjoy each others company and such, but there is clearly two distinct things going on here.

No, there is only one thing. He's just saying, those that have at home, should not serve themselves ahead of those who do not.

From what I read in scripture, my thoughts would be the same as this persons quote

"It is amazing that believers in Jesus meet on the Lord's day, the first day of the week, and do everything - sing, pray, give, study - except the one thing they are told to do to remember Jesus. The Lord's Supper is a memorial feast of unleaven bread and fruit of the vine that disciples eat to remember the death of Christ (Matthew 26:26-28; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26). Does anyone want to meet Jesus in judgment and have to explain that he assembled on the first day of the week in honor of his resurrection but didn't remember his death by taking of the Lord's Supper?"

Theres my two cents :)

I would go further. Believers assembled to share a meal. That's what assembling was about.

Active
I would say that in the Jewish tradition that supper was something personal and intimate. It wasn't just a quick meal as today perhaps we use to have in some of our homes with just warming something and not even exchange a word with the one having a supper with us. And that's the point. The need of communion with other people, to care of each other, to have a communion with believers aswell, to brake the bread of life that is His body and word, to drink the wine that represents his blood. We can see it spiritually aswell. As apostle Paul was telling in 1 Corinthians 11:22 to believers when they get together for the Lord's supper not to think or focus just on eating. Why ? Was it wrong of them to eat? No but they missed the most important part, the purpose of it. The communion. I am speaking about discussing, sharing with others about the faith. And is something that needs to be applied daily. In and out of church. When having or not the Lord's supper ( that is something that obviously needs to be done in remembrance of Him ). We can choose how to live. In selfishness as apostle Paul was saying in 1 Corinthians 11:22 spending our time in eating for our selves ( spiritually speaking ), doing everything for ourselves or taking care of the others, spreading the good news, because this is what communion is about. We can see that the supper was something very intimate and personal by the scripture in Revelation 3:20 where Jesus Himself wants to have a communion with us. " Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and He with Me. " This is the relation he wants to have with us, when we open our hearts to him. Obviously we are not just speaking about supper, but how we live. However churches are not wrong in performing the Lord's supper, because it's been commanded, but we need to understand the sense of it and live it daily in our lifes.

Loyal
Taking Communion / the Lord's Supper is described in 1 Corinthians 11:23 -34. A very special event in the church as a group of believers. The cup of juice represents the blood that Jesus Christ shed for us. The bread / cracker represents His body that hung on the cross and suffered for us. We are to be meditating on what Jesus Christ has done for us on the cross. And, come to Him with a clean heart.

Catholics and Protestants have to make a ritual out of it because they don't know what Christianity is. Catholics say they are actually eating Jesus. Protestants say it's a symbolic ritual.

What's wrong is seating people in rows facing a stage while someone gives a speech and puts on a show.

Loyal
@ David -- lands sakes -- you certainly have a poor concept of being in a church service. And, yes, people Do sit in seats in rows facing the person who is presenting God's Word -- Not 'putting on any show'. And the pastor usually Is standing a bit above every one else simply so people can see who is actually talking.

What do people do at Your church?

Do NOT group the RCC with Protestants. Protestants are such because they Protest what the RCC church teaches.

Loyal
@PloughBoy -- No -- the Protest Reformation -- several influencial men from within the RCC tried to Reform the RCC. They were seeing some of the non-Biblical teachings within the RCC. They Left the RCC and started the Weslyan Methodist, the Presbyterian and Lutheran churches (Martin Lutheran) The Baptist church came about many years later in stages.

the Protestors.

Loyal
No, the Catalyst was: Martin Luther’s “95 Theses tack on the door at Wittenberg” lead to The “Protestant Reformation”. John Calvin, Martin Luther, Willian Tyndale, Erasmus, Huldrych Zwing. The Roman Catholic Church is the mother of the Protestant Reformation. So all Protestant churches are the offspring RCC. ❤️

Loyal
A 'mother' willingly is giving birth to her off-spring. The off-spring are not rebelling being the part of the mother.

So - No -- I Disagree with your conclusion,

The RCC even sees Protestants as rebellious. They consider themselves The one True church and the New Testament says that Jesus Christ is the cornerstone of His Church.

In effect -- the RCC is a false religion. They teach salvation by works.

Active
It is good to be a partaker of the Lord's supper. We know that both catholics and protestants are keeping this performance and I personally am a part of a protestant movement ( if I can call it in such a way ). Important is anyway for this supper not to turn into simple religious act or something that is performed as just a ritual. Or someone to think that just because of doing it has pleased God. When the Bible says that first we need to examine ourselves if we are worthy, if our life pleases the Lord somehow and then partake of it. ( 1 Corinthians 11:27,28 ). We know that obviously is important the denomination or doctrine we are following, but we know that there are people having part of it not understanding the purpose. Most important at the end is how do we apply this in our life. The communion is a way of living, not only doing it from time to time in a church service ( that obviously is important too ).