• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The "last day" resurrection.

Loyal
When do we rise and go to be with Jesus? Some say immediately when we die, but many do not.

John 6:39; "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day.
John 6:40; "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."
John 6:44; "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
John 6:54; "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

John 11:24; Martha *said to Him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day."
John 12:48; "He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

Most of the verses in the New Testament that talk about the resurrection, seem to indicate that it will happen "on the last day". Whatever that is.
But whatever it is, it seems to be a one time event. Not something that happens individually for each person.

John 5:28; "Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice,
John 5:29; and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

It seems "an hour" is coming. Not many hours for many different people, but a specific hour for everyone.

1 Thes 4:13; But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.
1 Thes 4:14; For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.
1 Thes 4:15; For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep.
1 Thes 4:16; For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
1 Thes 4:17; Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.
1 Thes 4:18; Therefore comfort one another with these words.

It seems that whenever the rapture or second coming happens, that is when the dead will rise. In fact, it says the "dead in Christ" (who have fallen asleep)
..i.e. - they are dead. Will not rise until this time.

There is one passage that seems to say otherwise, and many people take it a couple of different ways.

2 Cor 5:6; Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord—
2 Cor 5:7; for we walk by faith, not by sight—
2 Cor 5:8; we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord

So the question is, are we absent from the body when we die, or does the soul stay with the body. Some people believe the soul is resurrected, but not the body.
Other's believe the soul goes to heaven immediately, but the body gets resurrected later. There are a few problems with this.

First of all this earthly fleshly body is never resurrected, it returns to the dust from which it came.

Job 34:15; All flesh would perish together, And man would return to dust.
Psa 90:3 You turn man back into dust And say, "Return, O children of men."

However we do get new bodies (more about that later).

Depending on how literally you take Revelation 20, the "first resurrection" does not happen until after the end of the 1,000 year millennial reign.
It is possible that only those saints who were beheaded during the tribulation will reign with Christ, the "rest of the dead" don't get resurrected until later.

Rev 20:4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
Rev 20:5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection.
Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.

Another argument that you hear sometimes, is that John 5:28-29; is talking about those who rose out of the tombs when Jesus was crucified.

Matt 27:52; The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
Matt 27:53; and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection they entered the holy city and appeared to many.

However this could not be "the" resurrection because...

2 Tim 2:18; men who have gone astray from the truth saying that the resurrection has already taken place, and they upset the faith of some.

When Paul wrote Timothy (much after the book of Matthew was written) he makes it clear the resurrection hasn't happened yet.

... to be continued ...

Loyal
In the story of Lazarus and the rich man, ( Luke 16 )
It seems that these people are up and walking around in a sense. They are at least communicating with each other.
But were their actual bodies walking around in Sheol, after they are dead? It seems unlikely.
Still even though he was dead, Lazarus's soul did not immediately go to heaven.
(This would explain 2 Cor 5:6-8; )

In 1 Sam 28, Saul goes to see the Seer (witch) of Endor to raise Samuel from the dead, this is what Samuel says.

1 Sam 28:15; Then Samuel said to Saul, "Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?" And Saul answered, "I am greatly distressed; for the Philistines are waging war against me, and God has departed from me and no longer answers me, either through prophets or by dreams; therefore I have called you, that you may make known to me what I should do."

It seems that Samuel also was asleep in the ground, not in heaven yet.

Acts 13:36; "For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, fell asleep, and was laid among his fathers and underwent decay;

It seems David fell asleep (died) and his body decayed (went back to dust).

Acts 2:34; "For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says: 'THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD, "SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,

There are a number of verses similar to ...

1 Thes 5:10; who died for us, so that whether we are awake or asleep, we will live together with Him.

The phrase awake or sleep here, really mean dead or alive.. but the point is, the term "asleep" is used several times in the new Testament to describe the dead.

John 3:13; "No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man.

... to be continued ..

Loyal
Now of course there are mummies, from ancient Egypt that were embalmed. (Even these bodies don't look so good).
And here in this century many people are "embalmed" with various chemicals to preserve their bodies, (I sometimes wonder why?)
There are even people being "frozen" after they die, so that in the future some technology might resurrect them.

But for the most part, the vast majority of bodies have decayed and turned back to dust, some were vaporized by atomic bombs.
Some were eaten by animals, some were cut up in many pieces, ... the point here is, not all dead people even have a body.
Now I don't doubt that God knows which grains of dust belong to which to which body and He could remake them if He wanted to.

We do find skeletons of dead people that are several (hundreds) centuries old. But rarely is any flesh tissue on them.
So is the body that gets resurrected, a skeleton?

1 Cor 15:42; So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown a perishable body, it is raised an imperishable body;
1 Cor 15:44; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
1 Cor 15:49; Just as we have borne the image of the earthy, we will also bear the image of the heavenly.

It seems our earthly, fleshly bodies are not resurrected.

Loyal
Do we rise.. As Chris Tomlin says.. "when He calls my name"... or do we rise before that?

I Will Rise
Chris Tomlin
=====================================================

There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"
Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise
There's a day that's drawing near
When this darkness breaks to light
And the shadows disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes
Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead
And rise
I will rise
And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the voice of many angels sing,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And I hear the cry of every longing heart,
"Worthy is the Lamb"
And rise
I will rise

Songwriters: Chris Tomlin / Jesse Reeves / Louie Giglio / Matt Maher

Loyal
Are there any verses at all (other than 2 Cor 5:6-8; ) that could be construed that we go to heaven immediately? Even one?

Loyal
Ok I'm only seventy years old...I'm looking at a day, a few days to the rapture, then seven years of the tribulation, then a thousand years of millenium, I can't see much beyond that...I mean a thousand years when seventy years is a long time, looking back.....So my question is....When is the last day? Where does it fit into future history? What day is it? The Rapture? The second coming? End of the millenium? White throne judgment day? What is it? Does anyone discussing it know? LOL Now I see that B-A-C and I are wondering the same thing.

B-A-C Bright-American-Christian? LOL

Active
Are there any verses at all (other than 2 Cor 5:6-8; ) that could be construed that we go to heaven immediately? Even one?

Resurrection always involves the body. When we die here our spirit goes to be with the Lord as the verses you gave show. That is immediate, but it is not our resurrection. Our resurrection occurs when we get our bodies back.

Concerning your questions as to 'when' concerning our resurrection consider this. There are several resurrections given in the Scripture. But there are only two in kind. One to eternal life, and the other to eternal damnation. The term 'first resurrection' is given to the one that is for eternal life. So you may have believers at different times taking part in a resurrection but it is part of the 'first' resurrection. Consider the number being of importance and not just a cardinal number.

Quantrill

All praises to FATHER AHAYAH YASHAYAH WA RAACH!

Regarding the 1000 years:

The 1st resurrection is where CHRIST catches up "rapture" All true believers with the elect after HE returns after the tribulation!

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 [16]For the Lord himselfe shall descend from heauen with a shout, with the voyce of the Archangel, and with the trumpe of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first. [17]Then we which are aliue, and remaine, shalbe caught vp together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the aire: and so shall wee euer bee with the Lord.

After that comes the 1000 year reign. Which is the 2nd resurrection of those who didn't get caught up when CHRIST sent out HIS angels to gather the Saints.

Matthew 24:29-31 [29]¶ Immediately after the tribulation of those dayes, shall the Sunne be darkned, and the Moone shall not giue her light, and the starres shall fall from heauen, and the powers of the heauens shall be shaken. [30]And then shall appeare the signe of the Sonne of man in heauen: and then shall all the Tribes of the earth mourne, and they shall see the Sonne of man coming in the clouds of heauen, with power and great glory. [31]And hee shall send his Angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his Elect from the foure windes, from one end of heauen to the other.

Revelation 20:5-7 [5]But the rest of the dead liued not againe vntill the thousand yeeres were finished. This is the first resurrection. [6]Blessed & holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be Priests of God, and of Christ, and shall reigne with him a thousand yeeres. [7]And when the thousand yeeres are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison.

My question is after the 1000 year's (you say 1st resurrection)
When does the 2nd resurrection occur in scripture after those 1000 years?

Need scriptures! Thanx.

Loyal

The 1st resurrection is where CHRIST catches up "rapture" All true believers with the elect after HE returns after the tribulation!

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 [16]For the Lord himselfe shall descend from heauen with a shout, with the voyce of the Archangel, and with the trumpe of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first. [17]Then we which are aliue, and remaine, shalbe caught vp together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the aire: and so shall wee euer bee with the Lord.

After that comes the 1000 year reign. Which is the 2nd resurrection of those who didn't get caught up when CHRIST sent out HIS angels to gather the Saints.

Matthew 24:29-31 [29]¶ Immediately after the tribulation of those dayes, shall the Sunne be darkned, and the Moone shall not giue her light, and the starres shall fall from heauen, and the powers of the heauens shall be shaken. [30]And then shall appeare the signe of the Sonne of man in heauen: and then shall all the Tribes of the earth mourne, and they shall see the Sonne of man coming in the clouds of heauen, with power and great glory. [31]And hee shall send his Angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his Elect from the foure windes, from one end of heauen to the other.

Revelation 20:5-7 [5]But the rest of the dead liued not againe vntill the thousand yeeres were finished. This is the first resurrection. [6]Blessed & holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be Priests of God, and of Christ, and shall reigne with him a thousand yeeres. [7]And when the thousand yeeres are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison.

Need scriptures! Thanx.
Revelation 20:4-5 (CJB)
4 Then I saw thrones, and those seated on them received authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for testifying about Yeshua and proclaiming the Word of God, also those who had not worshipped the beast or its image and had not received the mark on their foreheads and on their hands. They came to life and ruled with the Messiah for a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were over.) This is the first resurrection.

Loyal
4 Then I saw thrones, and those seated on them received authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for testifying about Yeshua and proclaiming the Word of God, also those who had not worshipped the beast or its image and had not received the mark on their foreheads and on their hands. They came to life and ruled with the Messiah for a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were over.) This is the first resurrection.

Need scriptures! Thanx.

The second resurrection is where the Earth gives up its dead for the white Throne Judgment Read the rest of Rev 20

Rightly dividing the WORD:

If the 1st Dead to rise happens when YASHAYAH returns IS that the first resurrection?
And after the 1000 years is that not the 2nd? Where it says the rest of the Dead will rise later.
So One prophetic resurrection will happen in scripture soon.

Trying to rightly divide the WORD.

Loyal

Rightly dividing the WORD:

If the 1st Dead to rise happens when YASHAYAH returns IS that the first resurrection?
And after the 1000 years is that not the 2nd? Where it says the rest of the Dead will rise later.
So One prophetic resurrection will happen in scripture soon.

Trying to rightly divide the WORD.
Revelation 20:11-15 (CJB)

11 Next I saw a great white throne and the One sitting on it. Earth and heaven fled from his presence, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, both great and small, standing in front of the throne. Books were opened; and another book was opened, the Book of Life; and the dead were judged from what was written in the books, according to what they had done. 13 The sea gave up the dead in it; and Death and Sh’ol gave up the dead in them; and they were judged, each according to what he had done. 14 Then Death and Sh’ol were hurled into the lake of fire. This is the second death — the lake of fire. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the Book of Life was hurled into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:11-15 is the 2nd resurrection!
That's why I asked what happens after that when the books are opened and the sea and the world gives up the rest of the dead that didn't rise when CHRIST YASHAYAH returned.

Active

Need scriptures! Thanx.

Where is a second resurrection mentioned?

Quantrill