• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Identity of Christ

Hello Board:

I've often heard the Trinity described as "one God, three persons". What passage of Scripture is this taken from? I don't know of any verse which says that the Godhead consists of multiple persons. Furthermore, Yahweh's statements about himself indicate that He is one.

Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Isa 44:24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

I think that a better explanation is that Jesus is a manifestation of Yahweh, not a seperate person from the Father.

1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Christ's Serf

Welcome christserf, there are many threads already posted here at TJ about the trinity vrs monotheism. Help yourself to them, they are all for your viewing pleasure. if you have any questions please feel free to ask. God bless

GOD is Three in One

Christ's Serf, Because the three Persons of the Trinity are One GOD, Biblical form is usually singular. Nevertheless, here are two passages where GOD refers to himself in the first person plural:

And God said, "Let Us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." Genesis 1:26 (KJV)

And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. And the LORD said, "Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let Us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech." So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
Genesis 11:5-9 (KJV)

Following are Scripture passages that speak of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit to bring to light the triune nature of GOD:

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29and come forth--those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me." John 5:24-30 (NKJV)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 (NKJV)

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26(NKJV)

christserf said:
Hello Board:

I've often heard the Trinity described as "one God, three persons". What passage of Scripture is this taken from? I don't know of any verse which says that the Godhead consists of multiple persons. Furthermore, Yahweh's statements about himself indicate that He is one.

Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Isa 44:24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

I think that a better explanation is that Jesus is a manifestation of Yahweh, not a seperate person from the Father.

1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Christ's Serf
Mt 28:18-19 says, "Then Jesus came to them and said, 'all authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."

The name ’Immanuel’ is only found three times in the word of God: it’s found here in Isaiah, then it is found again in chapter 8 and verse 8, and then it’s found in Matthew 1 and verse 23.

Immanuel – God with us.
God is not just looking after us,
God doesn’t just have His hand on us and care for us, but God within the birth of this child, God’s very presence has come to actually dwell within the body of this child.

Isaiah chapter 9 and verse 6, says:
’For unto us a child is born’ - speaking of this child, Immanuel - ’unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God’.

In Hebrew El-Gibbor, the mighty God!

The birth of this child was not simply to signify,
like a badge or like a licence to God’s people,
that He was with them and they could produce it,
they could show this child [to prove] that God was with them - but this child was more than that,
this child actually is the living presence of the eternal, mighty God with His people.

Again in Mathew, ’Immanuel’ is used in refference to Jesus, son of Mary and Joseph.

"God with us", not God's shadow, or manifestation, but God Himself. A person. One who walked and talked. A person who grew up with brothers and sisters. One who was thirsty, hungry, and tired. A man who would experience all the trials and tribulations that any other man walking the earth would go through, and then some. A person does these things. A real living, breating, bleeding person.

God bless,
Nigh