• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Highest Obedience

Active
All that is solely earthly, which relates to this life only needs to progressively lose its nearness to us (enjoy without clinging – 1Tim 6:17), esp. all that concerns our own lives as it pertains to earthly matters alone. The more mindful we are of putting others before ourselves (Phil 2:3), the more practical we live in the highest order of obedience to Christ, which alone pleases God the most (Jhn 15:12).

When we practice minding God and others, esp. brothers and sisters in Christ more than minding ourselves we are “walking in the Spirit” to the fullest. If this be not our ongoing primary motive in our ways, “how can we love God?” (1Jhn 4:20). Otherwise it’s still only desired-love for God which has yet to mature to practical-love to God!

Hence the similarity here with the two “great commandments” given to the Jews (Mat 22:36-40). All else is under this supreme achievement, apart from which renders every doctrine and their desired practical-attempts—incomplete. All who are born again will eventually be become aware of the prominence for the practical-desire of selflessness, for such is the Father’s over-riding work in us—that we walk in love to Him by loving others!

Active
And this is the testimony: that God has given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son
Hi, thanks for your reply and amen to that! The internal confirmation that we are in the Lord Jesus is by the Spirit (Rom 8:16), and the external confirmation is love to others (Jhn 13:35), esp. concerning those "who are of the household of faith" (Gal 6:10).

Eternal life is ours already amen.
By grace through faith believing Jesus is the son of God
The obedience of faith.
Understanding everything in the context of the gospel good news of grace,
is rightly dividing the word of God
Or else we will become disheartened by the exhortations.
Thinking we have hard work to do .
Which would be not loving to others if we mistaught them concerning the yoke.

Is this not right?

My post is really more about what you chose as the title of your post.
This is the confusion which caused me to comment.

Active
Eternal life is ours already amen.
By grace through faith believing Jesus is the son of God
The obedience of faith.
Amen! Our faith in Christ has been known since eternity past ("from everlasting"), and redemption (salvation) becomes a reality upon the moment of belief.

We can only be putting others before ourselves when we see a need
What when there is no need?
I am rather confused lol

Paul wrote paul is yours etc
the world is yours
life is yours
death is yours
and you are Christs and christ is God's

Yes but surely the greatest thing is the good news of grace and continuing to teach eachother it
The best way to love eachother ,

not saying if there is practical need we shouldnt help eachother ( serve one another in love )
but surely speaking the truth in love building eachother up in the faith of the good news of the gospel of grace through belief in Jesus the son of God
Surely is the prime objective of the church building up faith in love in the love of God
Speaking the truth in love coming to unity in the faith.

Active
Yes but surely the greatest thing is the good news of grace and continuing to teach eachother it
The best way to love eachother ,

not saying if there is practical need we shouldnt help eachother but speaking the truth in love building eachother up in the faith is the prime objective of the church .
Agreed!

Yes love is kind love is patient love is not self seeking not boastful or conceited love does no harm to its neighbour Love rejoices in the truth.

I mean how do you lose attachment to your settee? ( for example) of detachement from thinking about things of this world etc
Lol
Its not something i think about or have considered myself
If i thought about it i would think maybe throwing it out the window and sitting on the floor
Lol

But i think that entirely would miss the point of not being concerned with earthly matters as if they were a stumbling block to being spiritually minded.

Love your neighbour as yourself
Now if you love your neighbour above yourself you are expecting your neighbour to love you above there self also.
So it says love your neighbour as you love yourself
Not more than.

But then again you could argue the i should give the settee away
To someone who has not got one and sit on the floor
But then what standard would i be showing to my neighbour of how to love ones nieghbour
My neighbour would also not have a settee any longer if he followd my example of how to love your neighbour as yourself. And he would be sat on the floor with a sore bottom.
:laughing:

But notice Jesus commands to do such extreme thing seems to be concerning unreasonable people like theives for example
Like if someone takes your cloak give him your shirt also.

Sell all you own little flock and give the proceeds to the poor

Now Jesus said that to certain people

But if us do we?

I would like a comment a rational to that
I will start .

If it was taken literally they would be homeless and naked.
Literally stark naked

So was Jesus not being literal but speaking a spiritual metaphor like he had said to the pharasees and their cleaning the inside of cups and giving to the poor?
I.e those who they were trying to stop entering the kingdom of God?

But then again they did in joy once the Holy Spirit came
They sold fields and things and presented the money at the apostles feet
And so the beatitude came true for the poor not so long after it had been said by Jesus!

Blessed are you who are poor because yours is the kingdom of heaven.

And so the poor indeed did benefit from the kingdom when the holy spirit came and each pooled their resources to help each as had need.