• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The Exorcisim Of Emily Grace

I just watched this movie, and It left me speechless.
It was rented as a horror movie, but I was affected more spiritually than I have been in a long time. Just wondering if anyone has watched it, and what thoughts did you have about it after?
-Thanks-

Administrator
Staff Member
The way I look at it, its the devil's method of trying to input fear into the viewers and doubt Christ's power.

I don't care for horror movies. I find them to be senseless and stupid. No offense to anyone who do enjoy them. Just not my personal flavor.

If you had actually watched the movie you would know that it was more a movie about faith than it was a horror. Scary it was, but very spiritual, at least to me. Any way the movie was about a young girl who came from a very spiritual family. She was a good christian. But after going to college she started to experience things, that were very demon like. After a while she started having convulsions and blackouts and symptoms very much like psycosis. Anyway to cut the story in half she is possesed, and dies after a exorcism done by her priest. The priest is put on trial for neglectful homicide.
His lawyer (an agnostic) takes his case to further her carreer. The system tries him, basically trying to say that the devil doesnt exist and that the priest along with the parents were crazy to believe. I dont want to tell the whole movie, but in the end, Her death was about making people understand that yes lucifer is here, now, on our planet, and the only way to fight him is through our Lord. If you say that you dont believe that the horrible things on this earth come from the devil, he has you fooled. But without the help of God, our lord and Savior, we will not be able to fight him. Christians need to get back into the practice of rebuking the devil, Speak to him and say leave me and my family alone, Through the blood shed by Jesus, we can rebuke the devil. The devils biggest victory would be to convince people that he doesnt exist. For if you didnt believe in the evil of satan, than you arnt reading the word of God. For he warnes us of the devil. Our father has told us of satan and what he can do. Jesus was tempted by the devil, what makes you think that any of the temptations you face every day arnt from the same villan.

Last edited:
Kind of an older post but, I assume we are talking about Emily Rose (not grace)? If so I can agree with both points on this - I too rarely even give "horror / scary" movies a look for the same line of thought Chad states. However on a reccomendation I did see this one and have to admit it was of intrest for the reasons Brandi states - more over if you look past the Hollywood theatrics it is in fact based on a true account recognized by the Catholic Church (Don't have data in front of me but one of very very few exoricisms they recognize). Disturbing - absolutely, but if you need some spiritual shock therapy to bring to light the nature of our enemy it may be worth a watch - but only if you get clear through it otherwise just a scary movie without purpose or meaning. My 2 cents anyway.

The Real Thing-Possession of Evil.

Hi!

Maybe you could check out my Dad and
Mom's real life encounter [one of many]
of a woman who truly was demonized that
they ministered to many years ago.

The post is called, " Crystal Clear" under
the Post " I don't understand this ....
by 'The Drew'.

I never saw the movie you spoke about,
I heard some bad 'stuff' about it from
Christian friends I know. Anyway, it was
a thought to maybe assist you in your
walk with God.

God Bless!

Mellow_J

Any way the movie was about a young girl who came from a very spiritual family. She was a good christian. But after going to college she started to experience things, that were very demon like. After a while she started having convulsions and blackouts and symptoms very much like psycosis. Anyway to cut the story in half she is possesed, and dies after a exorcism done by her priest.

I have not seen the movie, but by your discription, it seems to have some discrepancies in lining up with scriptures.

1John 4:4
But you belong to God, my dear children. You have already won your fight with these false prophets, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world.

If we are in a right relationship with Christ, there is no demon or even satan himself that can possess (enter)us. Satan can howerever tempt us and lead us away from our obedience to Christ. When we are led by the Spirit of God we are the sons of God. But if we walk after the flesh we become a play ground for demons.

Galations 5:16-26
16*So I advise you to live according to your new life in the Holy Spirit. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17*The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never free from this conflict. 18*But when you are directed by the Holy Spirit, you are no longer subject to the law.
19*When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, 20 idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, 21*envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
22*But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23*gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law.
24*Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. 25*If we are living now by the Holy Spirit, let us follow the Holy Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. 26*Let us not become conceited, or irritate one another, or be jealous of one another.

If we succumb to the enemy (the flesh) and become harrassed, oppressed by a demonic spirit. All we need to do is obey Christ to gain deliverance from the demonic force.

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

As far as the exorcism methods of the catholic church, plain and simple religious mumbo jumbo. The power to cast out devils is not in holy water, oil or a gold cross. It is however in every believer and is by the name Jesus the Christ and His authority.

Mark 16:15-18
15*And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16*He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17*And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18*they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Satan's goal is to distract us from keeping our eyes on Jesus. He will pretend to be an angel of light, a lady in a red dress and high heels, a night in shinning armor , the harmless little tooth fairy or even the boogieman. As long as he is a distraction, he is happy. Yes we should be aware that he is out there, but as long as we focus on Christ and remain submitted to Him, satan is kept "out there".

Last edited:
I haven't seen the movie, so I don't have anything to say about it, but I would just like to point out that the title of the film is The Exorcism of Emily ROSE.

If Emily was a Christian she couldn't have been demon possessed (As Jiggly pointed out). I'm sure demons love to possess Catholics who do not have Christ. The moral of the movie should have been: "Get out of the Catholic church immediately". Instead of "I got demon possessed so God must exist" I give the movie an F- for promoting Catholicism as if it were Christian in any way shape or form.

Last edited:
I too have seen this movie, out of pure curiosity. I watched the "Rated" version which is alot more tame than the "Not Rated" version, or so I have been told. I didn't feel condemnation in my heart for watching it, had I felt the Lord condemn me for watching a movie that wasn't pleasing to Him, I would have turned it off. But, in the beginning I was nervous. As I followed the movie, I realized it was more court room drama than anything. Yes there were times when she seemed to be demon possessed, but I completely agree with the point made that, had she been a really strong committed, born again Christian with the Holy Spirit guiding her, she would not have been demon possessed. I heard a pastor once say that once you truly, wholeheartedly accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, the enemy has no way of "possessing" us. Although we are not exempt from his attacks and becoming demonically "oppressed". That is why we need to stay prayed up, filled up, and keep our eyes on Jesus.

If its not from God then chances are its not good. When you watch horro movies you are opening yourself up to bad things. You have to keep to those facts, we human beings are horrible things in that if we spend enough time thinking about something, we manage to rationalise some of the worst things imaginable, so thats what Satan wants...for us to view it as being just a movie and try to mould christian ideals so that we can justify watching it. Believe me Im speaking as someone who loves Silent Hill, as a child I was an enormous fan of the series...however I have to cut it out of my life because thats the only choice I have if I seriously want God in my life. Thats the choice we face to day, we live in Satans world and thus as Christians we have to be doubly aware of the boundaries between Christianity and the World. Just my thoughts personally on the subject.

Administrator
Staff Member
I agree with jiggy as well which proves the point of my original reply as well. There is no way a true Christian filled, sealed with the Holy Spirit can be demon possesed. That is an insult to the blood of Jesus Christ and GOD Himself to even assume such a thing is possible! Do you dare to think so this way? I wouldn't. The devil is frightened by the power of GOD. He knows the power of GOD. It was GOD who threw the devil out of Heaven.

Point is that a believer in Chist has Christ indwelling in Him just as Scripture made clear.

Romans 8:9
But you are not living the life of the flesh, you are living the life of the Spirit, if the [Holy] Spirit of God [really] dwells within you [directs and controls you]. But if anyone does not possess the [Holy] Spirit of Christ, he is none of His [he does not belong to Christ, is not truly a child of God].

I'm not an expert on this movie, nor did I read the book, but I got the impression that she was a "good Catholic" until temptations at college pulled her away. That was the impression I got anyway. That would explain how she could be possessed.

I felt the movie was more of a bash on Catholics and poking fun at their "crazy" belief in God and the Devil and what not. That's what I got outta it. They (Hollywood) portrayed the priest like a "fool with good intentions" or one who "has fooled even himself". The prosecutor wanted to hang him for taking Emily into his care and not giving her the anti-psychotic drugs that the shrink gave her. As if drugs would help the possessed.

Hollywood would like to replace Jesus with drugs and the Devil with psychosis. I wonder who runs Hollywood...hmmm? Anyway I did hear some good news today. Seems a 10 year study suggests that movies with the Christian world view do much better in the box office than movies with harsh language and sexual or violent content. Seems the world wants the Christian values, with out the Christ part. Silly, all they need to do is except Him and they get the values with the added bonus of a relationship with our Lord and Savior! And for a limited time, if you act now...you get a front row seat at the battle of Armageddon. But hurry! The seats are filling up, and the show is about to start! Act now, before it's too late! :love:

God bless,
Nigh

I'm not an expert on this movie, nor did I read the book, but I got the impression that she was a "good Catholic" until temptations at college pulled her away. That was the impression I got anyway. That would explain how she could be possessed.

I felt the movie was more of a bash on Catholics and poking fun at their "crazy" belief in God and the Devil and what not. That's what I got outta it. They (Hollywood) portrayed the priest like a "fool with good intentions" or one who "has fooled even himself". The prosecutor wanted to hang him for taking Emily into his care and not giving her the anti-psychotic drugs that the shrink gave her. As if drugs would help the possessed.

Hollywood would like to replace Jesus with drugs and the Devil with psychosis. I wonder who runs Hollywood...hmmm? Anyway I did hear some good news today. Seems a 10 year study suggests that movies with the Christian world view do much better in the box office than movies with harsh language and sexual or violent content. Seems the world wants the Christian values, with out the Christ part. Silly, all they need to do is except Him and they get the values with the added bonus of a relationship with our Lord and Savior! And for a limited time, if you act now...you get a front row seat at the battle of Armageddon. But hurry! The seats are filling up, and the show is about to start! Act now, before it's too late! :love:

God bless,
Nigh

Lol, pretty good post :) I don't know if Emily was "tempted" at school. I don't think she was in the movie, although she could have been in the book. At the end of the movie the virgin Mary appears to her if I remeber right...

I can't condone this movie, or anything that is close to a horror movie, it is filled with violence and disgusting evil. Why would anyone want to watch something that could potentially make them afraid or confused?

God doesn't make you confused, but I'm sure He won't say "good job, you're confused now, but it's okay, I'll unconfuse you". No, I would hope He punishes people one day for participating in watching or being part of the creation of such films.

It's evil, I'll try and find scripture to support what I say, but don't anyone dare tell me that God is okay with you watching any type of horror movie, or movies related to murder and what sin else there is.

Last edited:
I have seen parts of the movie but I dont want to watch the rest because it personaly scares the crap out of me. I have seen the first excorcist from the 70s and it still scares me to this day. I dont think they will make a scarier movie ever. It scares me because it is pure evil that is amoung us. Its not fictional. I always think what if I got possesed. I dont know what I would do, because it seems that only religous people get possesed. I would rather not think about it. Just keep praising and repenting.

I just watched this movie, and It left me speechless.
It was rented as a horror movie, but I was affected more spiritually than I have been in a long time. Just wondering if anyone has watched it, and what thoughts did you have about it after?
-Thanks-

Appreciate the info Yvonne. I cannot get to the movies much. Hard to recall the last time I went.....Guess I am an old dude.

Glad to see that you know Jesus. Knowing Jesus.....the key to success in life.

God Bless You

i watched that movie and let me tell you i didnt sleep right for a week it really shook me , i dont watch horror movies anymore they get to me ,
Now when i think of that movie i dont fear it anymore because i know my body is belong to my King and no demon cant touch what it is truely belong to Jesus Christ.
everytime i see something that makes me nervous i just close my eyes and i can feel Gods love for me and know i have nothing to fear

The name of the Lord is a strong tower the righteous runneth into it and is safe proverbs 18:10

Formerly Adiaglow
I am late replying to this, but I still wanted to! :)

I rented this movie and had the same reaction as the original poster, Brandi. Personally, I'm a fan of scary movies, always have been. I don't feel condemnation when I watch them, like I do with other things. This movie definitley did something to me, it really touched me. So much so that I bought it. Haven't watched it since, but it inspired me to fight for what I believe in. Which is exactly what Emily did. I've never been called by Mary to do anything, and I believe the only person that can call me is God/Jesus, however, I get their point. She gave Emily a choice to be an example.martyr and fight to the death through the possession. She loved her Lord so much she didn't give up, and she could have. Plus, the lawyer in the movie was not a believer and her seeing everything and experiencing things led her on a road to Christ.

If you haven't seen a movie, give it a chance before criticizing it. :)

I agree that watching this movie is against God and I'm sorry I ever seen it, and I paid the price. It left me very disturbed and unable to sleep or be alone for many days. My husband, who watched it with me was also deeply disturbed.
I spoke to my friend who is now studying to be a priest and he assured me that to be possessed by demons like that is extremely rare and you have to want it. It is an option to let a demon(s) into you.