• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The Decision of which music i should listen to

Hi guys this is the first time posting here and i was just wondering what are some of the views you guys have with listening to some specific music. For example i really grew up listening to hip hop and recently i have been listening to gospel music as well as the 116 group such as lecrae and trip lee. I asked several people about there perspective on listening to music and is it okay if i were to listen to it for entertainment? For example if listen to some artists like kendrick lamar or logic there are some songs where they do mention god is it wrong?

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi @enerio23

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I would also recommend reading that featured thread, Strategy of Satan.

Active
The question that I ask when I am in doubt about something is, "does this glorify god?" If the answer is no, then turn away from it. I have a very eclectic taste in music. I literally enjoy pretty much everything except opera. For most of my life I listened to genres from heavy metal to country music, that, more often than not, glorified drinking. I listen almost exclusively to Christian music now, as most of the others don't pass my test of "does this glorify god?"

Loyal
Hi guys this is the first time posting here and i was just wondering what are some of the views you guys have with listening to some specific music. For example i really grew up listening to hip hop and recently i have been listening to gospel music as well as the 116 group such as lecrae and trip lee. I asked several people about there perspective on listening to music and is it okay if i were to listen to it for entertainment? For example if listen to some artists like kendrick lamar or logic there are some songs where they do mention god is it wrong?

Welcome Enerio,
First ask your self how much do I want to grow in Christ ? If the answer is a lot then ask your self this ? How hard do I want to make it on my self ? If the answer is along the lines I dont want to make it harder.....then

Think about this.....even when we do not graps things going in our first ears the second or inner ear is storing it all away. This is one of the reasons we are taught to take every thought captive...( 2 Corinthians 10:5 )
This inner ear I am speaking of pays very much attention to the words you speak or another words the words you speak slowly programs how you think and believe....Take no thought ...saying.... (Matthew 6:31-34 ) How to you take a thought....you speak it.

I have said all this to say this..........when we listen to music and other things such as movies and talk shows etc we are in fact allowing stuff (hinderences to the word of God ) get planted into our mind.. You do not have to beleive this to be true for it to happen. It is just the way the human brain works and nothing we can do to change it.

Now over time these things take root and begin to filter into your thinking and actions and CAN very much and do work against the renewing of your mind......( Romans 12:2 ) Picture it like little worms worming their way around your mind. Then you got to dig them out....Root them up....all of this simply cost you more time and energy and hinders what God is doing in your life.

I used to doubt this.......many years later.......I found out I was wrong.....So do your self a favor and stick to some good christian music which you can find in any form these days... Its your choice BUT DO REMEMBER.....the choices you make today......influence heavily where your life will be in a year or how it will be.

I Hope this helps
Blessings Brother
jim