• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

The baptism in Fire

Acts 19:1; It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples.
Acts 19:2; He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit."
Acts 19:3; And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" And they said, "Into John's baptism."
Acts 19:4; Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus."
Acts 19:5; When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 19:6; And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.
Acts 19:7; There were in all about twelve men.

Of the 5 passages in Acts that talk about being baptized in the Holy Spirit, this one stands out because it talks about three difference baptisms.
1. John's baptism ( water )
2. Baptized int eh "Name of Jesus".
3. Baptized in the Holy Spirit. In this case, Paul layed hands upon them to give them the Holy Spirit.

Act 10:44; While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message.
Act 10:45; All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
Act 10:46; For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered,
Act 10:47; "Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?"
Act 10:48; And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.

Like the disciples at Ephesus in Acts 19 above, Cornelius had already been a believer for some time before he met Peter.
Also like the disciples at Ephesus, they didn't receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit when they first believed. ( We didn't even know there was a Holy Spirit! )
Cornelius is the first Gentile mentioned in the Bible to receive the Holy Spirit, but even though he received the Holy Spirit here, he still had to be baptized in water.
It's one of the two instances where people weren't baptized in water first.

Acts 8:14; Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John,
Acts 8:15; who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit.
Acts 8:16; For He had not yet fallen upon any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus
Acts 8:17; Then they began laying their hands on them, and they were receiving the Holy Spirit.
Acts 8:18; Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money,
Acts 8:19; saying, "Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."

Just like the disciples at Ephesus and Cornelius, the Samaritans here had already been believers for a while as well. They had already been baptized
"in the name of the Lord". But they hadn't received the Holy Spirit yet. Again, the disciples layed hands on these people and they received the Holy Spirit.

Acts 9:3; As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him;
Acts 9:4; and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"
Acts 9:5; And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" And He said, "I am Jesus whom you are persecuting,
Acts 9:6; but get up and enter the city, and it will be told you what you must do."
Acts 9:7; The men who traveled with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one.
Acts 9:8; Saul got up from the ground, and though his eyes were open, he could see nothing; and leading him by the hand, they brought him into Damascus.
Acts 9:9; And he was three days without sight, and neither ate nor drank.
Acts 9:10; Now there was a disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and the Lord said to him in a vision, "Ananias." And he said, "Here I am, Lord."
Acts 9:11; And the Lord said to him, "Get up and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying,
Acts 9:12; and he has seen in a vision a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him, so that he might regain his sight."
Acts 9:13; But Ananias answered, "Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem;
Acts 9:14; and here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name."
Acts 9:15; But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel;
Acts 9:16; for I will show him how much he must suffer for My name's sake."
Acts 9:17; So Ananias departed and entered the house, and after laying his hands on him said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road by which you were coming, has sent me so that you may regain your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit."
Acts 9:18; And immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he regained his sight, and he got up and was baptized;

Then we have Paul himself, he meets Jesus on the road to Damasus. But then he is blind for three days, he doesn't eat or drink for these three days.
Paul goes to meet Ananias. Ananias lays hands on Paul as well, Paul receives the Holy Spirit, ..and then he is baptized ( water ).

The gift here ( presumably the Holy Spirit ) was given by laying on of hands.

1Tim 4:14; Do not neglect the spiritual gift within you, which was bestowed on you through prophetic utterance with the laying on of hands by the presbytery.
2Tim 1:6 ; For this reason I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.

In all five instances of people receiving the Holy Spirit in Acts, they had all been believers for a period of time ( at least 3 days in Paul's case ) before they received the Holy Spirit.
All five instances are recorded in Acts. So, for people who say the things in Acts don't apply to Christians anymore, that would seem to include being filled with the Holy Spirit.
Because it's the only book of the Bible that talks about in baptized in the Holy Spirit.
Thank you BAC for all the beautiful quotes

I have not noticed before that quote about getting baptized in His name, but I did. The name of Jesus, (witch is actually a nickname for Yeshua), that name has several meanings. You should be aware that He saves, that getting baptized you have faith in Him that He will save, does save, and has saved.

His great sacrifice on the cross, personifies the Holy spirit that I wrote of. Anyone who is getting baptized should know what they are doing. They are in spirit killing the old man, controlled by flesh, and choosing the new man controlled by God. If you understand it later you may agree to it later.

God will not force you.

Active
I can show you this from Col. 2:10-13. I'm sure you remember Jeremiah speaking of the circumcision of heart, well, here Paul explains what it is.

"And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;"

This is the circumcision of the heart, spiritually speaking. It is the operation God performed in the spiritual realm at your salvation.

It is being buried with Christ and risen in Christ spiritually, and this is where water baptism is the symbol of your spiritual salvation.
We can see from this that the circumcision of the heart takes place in water baptism. Where do you see anything about a "spiritual" baptism "into" Christ? Paul said buried "with" Him, not buried "in" Him.

The concept of being "in" Christ that Paul uses comes from Jesus' words.

15 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and jcast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Jn 15.

Surely Jesus wasn't telling the disciples they had to be inside of His body. Obviously, He is using figurative language. To abide in Him is to remain in His teachings ie. His words.

More to the point, How does what you posted show that this happens the moment one believes or that water baptism is somehow a professing of this? If this spiritual baptism happens the moment one believes how does one know it happened? Can one see it? How can one confess something they can't explain?

It seem pretty clear that in this passage in Colossians 2 Paul is simply explaining the circumcision of the heart and that they received it when they were water-baptized.

You do not know what you are talking about Butch

20On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.

The way we can confess something we cannot explain at that time is through tongues, that is a languange controlled by God, it is the language of angels

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a ringing gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have absolute faith so as to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.…

However we can know that we are tired of the old man, the sinful man, the man of darkness, and thus agree to kill him to choose the new man. Who the new man is we learn as we walk the way that Jesus is, that lead to our Father in heaven.

Active
You do not know what you are talking about Butch

20On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.

The way we can confess something we cannot explain at that time is through tongues, that is a languange controlled by God, it is the language of angels

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a ringing gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have absolute faith so as to move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.…

However we can know that we are tired of the old man, the sinful man, the man of darkness, and thus agree to kill him to choose the new man. Who the new man is we learn as we walk the way that Jesus is, that lead to our Father in heaven.
Oh, ok.

Active
We can see from this that the circumcision of the heart takes place in water baptism. Where do you see anything about a "spiritual" baptism "into" Christ? Paul said buried "with" Him, not buried "in" Him.

The concept of being "in" Christ that Paul uses comes from Jesus' words.

15 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and jcast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Jn 15.

Surely Jesus wasn't telling the disciples they had to be inside of His body. Obviously, He is using figurative language. To abide in Him is to remain in His teachings ie. His words.

More to the point, How does what you posted show that this happens the moment one believes or that water baptism is somehow a professing of this? If this spiritual baptism happens the moment one believes how does one know it happened? Can one see it? How can one confess something they can't explain?

It seem pretty clear that in this passage in Colossians 2 Paul is simply explaining the circumcision of the heart and that they received it when they were water-baptized.

The way we know its speaking spiritually is "the circumcision made without hands/ the circumcision of Christ, in Col 2:10-13.

Rom. 2:29
"But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God."

Do you see that? "and circumcision is that of the heart, IN THE SPIRIT."

This circumcision Paul is speaking of is in the Spirit realm, immersed in Him in the Spirit, not in water.

This spiritual circumcision is in the heart, and the exact same thing is performed in water as the symbol.

Active
The way we know its speaking spiritually is "the circumcision made without hands/ the circumcision of Christ, in Col 2:10-13.

Rom. 2:29
"But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God."

Do you see that? "and circumcision is that of the heart, IN THE SPIRIT."

This circumcision Paul is speaking of is in the Spirit realm, immersed in Him in the Spirit, not in water.

This spiritual circumcision is in the heart, and the exact same thing is performed in water as the symbol.
He didn't say it's in the spiritual realm. Notice that spirit is not capitalized. It's not talking about the Holy Spirit. He's contrasting the spirit of the Law with that of the heart.

You're getting all over the place. Collosians says they were buried with Christ, not in Christ. The heart is circumcised in water baptism.

The Baptist said Jesus would Baptize with the Holy Spirit. To Baptize means to immerse. To be baptized in the Spirit means to be immersed in the Spirit. How is being immersed in the Spirit being baptized into Christ?

Active
He didn't say it's in the spiritual realm. Notice that spirit is not capitalized. It's not talking about the Holy Spirit. He's contrasting the spirit of the Law with that of the heart.

You're getting all over the place. Collosians says they were buried with Christ, not in Christ. The heart is circumcised in water baptism.

The Baptist said Jesus would Baptize with the Holy Spirit. To Baptize means to immerse. To be baptized in the Spirit means to be immersed in the Spirit. How is being immersed in the Spirit being baptized into Christ?

I capitalized Spirit out of habit. Paul is speaking of the spiritual realm. The spirit of man is placed in Christ, baptized/ immersed spiritually in Christ.

This is the born-again experience, being born of the spirit. It has nothing to do with water, except as the symbol of faith being placed in Christ.

Yes the other realm, the Kingdom of God is a Kingdom of light, not spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Light.

It is possible to experience through seeing with the eye that can see the light.

You can also read about it here:

5 And this is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you: God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.

That makes clear that God is light

And this quote makes clear that we are in Christ, Who is in Father:

20 On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.

And since Father is light, and there is no darkness in father you then know how and why we are the children of light in the Lord

8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light,

Loyal
I can show you this from Col. 2:10-13. I'm sure you remember Jeremiah speaking of the circumcision of heart, well, here Paul explains what it is.

"And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;"

This is the circumcision of the heart, spiritually speaking. It is the operation God performed in the spiritual realm at your salvation.

It is being buried with Christ and risen in Christ spiritually, and this is where water baptism is the symbol of your spiritual salvation.
'For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
.. And ye are complete in Him,
.... which is the head of all principality and power:
In Whom also ye are circumcised
.. with the circumcision made without hands,
,,,, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh
,,,,,, by the circumcision of Christ:
.. Buried with Him in baptism,
.... wherein also ye are risen with Him
...... through the faith of the operation of God,
........ Who hath raised Him from the dead.
And you, being dead in your sins
.. and the uncircumcision of your flesh,
.... hath He quickened together with Him,
...... having forgiven you all trespasses; ... '
(Col 2:9-13)

Hello @Charlie24, :)

Yes, the epistle from which the verses above were quoted was written following the revelation from God which Paul received concerning the Church which is The Body of Christ, 'the fulness of Him that filleth all in all' (Eph. 1:22-23). That epistle, along with Eph. Phi. 1&2 Tim. Titus and Phile. were written by Paul from prison.

Yes, we are complete in Christ. Praise God! For we are reckoned by God to have died with Christ, been buried, quickened and raised with Christ, and are now ascended with Christ to God's right hand, where we now await His appearing in glory, when we too will appear with Him there (
Col. 3:4; Rom. 6:4; Col. 2:12; Eph. 1:13-14). Yes, we are identified with Christ, and the flesh has no part to play. All is of God in Christ Jesus our Lord and Head.

'But of Him (God) are ye in Christ Jesus,
Who of God is made unto us wisdom,
and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
That, according as it is written,
He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.'
(1Cor. 1:30-31)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Active
I capitalized Spirit out of habit. Paul is speaking of the spiritual realm. The spirit of man is placed in Christ, baptized/ immersed spiritually in Christ.

This is the born-again experience, being born of the spirit. It has nothing to do with water, except as the symbol of faith being placed in Christ.
The spirit of man? What is that? The spirit of man is placed in Christ. What does that mean?

Being born of the Spirit has nothing to do with water?

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Jn 3:5–6.

Surely there's a connection.

The spirit of man is the spirit of that man, not that of the light within that man

4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men.

Since the light is the truth, it will be there as long as a body walks the earth, until it falls down dead

But a man may not be aware of it, being tricked by satan to think that the flesh is the truth
to worship darkness and death, that is the spirit of man.

Active
'For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
And ye are complete in Him,
which is the head of all principality and power:
In Whom also ye are circumcised
with the circumcision made without hands,
in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh
by the circumcision of Christ:
Buried with Him in baptism,
wherein also ye are risen with Him
through the faith of the operation of God,
who hath raised Him from the dead.
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh,
hath He quickened together with Him,
having forgiven you all trespasses; ... '
(Col 2:9-13)

Hello @Charlie24, :)

Yes, the epistle from which the verses above were quoted was written following the revelation from God which Paul received concerning the Church which is The Body of Christ, 'the fulness of Him that filleth all in all' (Eph. 1:22-23). That epistle, along with Eph. Phi. 1&2 Tim. Titus and Phile. were written by Paul from prison.

Yes, we are complete in Christ, Praise God! For we are reckoned by God to have died with Christ, been buried, quickened and raised with Christ, and are now ascended with Christ to God's right hand, where we now await His appearing in glory, when we too will appear with Him there (
Col. 3:4; Rom. 6:4; Col. 2:12; Eph. 1:13-14). Yes, we are identified with Christ, and the flesh has no part to play. All is of God in Christ Jesus our Lord and Head.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Amen Sister!

Active
Yes the other realm, the Kingdom of God is a Kingdom of light, not spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Light.

It is possible to experience through seeing with the eye that can see the light.

You can also read about it here:

5 And this is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you: God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.

That makes clear that God is light

And this quote makes clear that we are in Christ, Who is in Father:

20 On that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you are in Me, and I am in you.

And since Father is light, and there is no darkness in father you then know how and why we are the children of light in the Lord

8 For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light,
The Bible does use figurative language.

Active
The spirit of man? What is that? The spirit of man is placed in Christ. What does that mean?

Being born of the Spirit has nothing to do with water?

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Jn 3:5–6.

Surely there's a connection.

The water in that verse from Christ is the natural birth. Man is born of water, the natural birth, man is born of the spirit, the spiritual rebirth.

Man must be born-AGAIN. Do you see that? Christ is not speaking of water baptism here, far from it!

He's saying that man must be born again, the second time, and in the spirit.

See how this verse from Christ is saying the same as Paul about the the spirit of man in the born again experience?

The Bible does use figurative language.

Kindly be careful contradicting such extremely important statements about what God is. Do not try to twist the most important of messages just because you do not understand it, have faith in it until you know it is true your self. Do not question Jesus, instead ask Him to show you how what He says is true.

If you question Jesus this warning must be given to you:

30He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters. 31Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the one to come.…

It is for all to see and know, that when the light that is life leaves a body of flesh it immediately falls down dead:

There should be no reason at all for you to contradict the obvious at least.

The water in that verse from Christ is the natural birth. Man is born of water, the natural birth, man is born of the spirit, the spiritual rebirth.

Man must be born-AGAIN. Do you see that? Christ is not speaking of water baptism here, far from it!

See how this verse from Christ is saying the same as Paul about the the spirit of man in the born again experience?

Yes it is true that we must be born again in the spirit of the Light

He who sacrificed His body of flesh for God, Who is Light

Active

Actually, it's not. Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus a Jew who believed, as the others, that they were the promised seed of Abraham. Jesus is correcting this erroneous thinking. Abraham's birth as the physical seed of Abraham was not sufficient to gain him access to the Kingdom. He had to be born again, He needed a second birth. A birth of both water and Spirit. The Granville-Sharp rule tells us that both the water and the spirit here are both connected to the same birth. They are not two different births. This is no different than what we find with Paul.

4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Tt 3:4–5.

How did they enter the Kingdom? The bath of regeneration and renewing of the Spirit. It's just like Jesus said, water and spirit.

Contrary to what many Christians believe, the phrase "born again" applies to the Jews. It's not talking about a second birth, a birth of the Spirit. Here are the three places this phrase appears.

John 3:3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 3:7
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 Peter 1:23
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Jn 3:3–1 Pe 1:23.

Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus, a Jew. Peter was addressing the Jews scattered in the Diaspora.

When speaking of Gentiles we find the phrase, "born of God"

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 John 4:7
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1 John 5:1
Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

1 John 5:4
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

1 John 5:18
18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), 1 Jn 3:9–5:18.

Why is the phrase born again used of the Jews? Because they had previously been God's son.

. 22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn: 23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Ex 4:21–23.

Jesus was telling Nicodemus that this birth in Exodus was not sufficient to gain him access into the Kingdom of God. he would need another birth, a birth of water and Spirit.

Active
Kindly be careful contradicting such extremely important statements about what God is. Do not try to twist the most important of messages just because you do not understand it, have faith in it until you know it is true your self. Do not question Jesus, instead ask Him to show you how what He says is true.

If you question Jesus this warning must be given to you:

30He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters. 31Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the one to come.…

It is for all to see and know, that when the light that is life leaves a body of flesh it immediately falls down dead:

There should be no reason at all for you to contradict the obvious at least.
I could reply likewise.

Loyal
'For what man knoweth the things of a man,
save the spirit of man which is in him?
even so the things of God knoweth no man,
but the Spirit of God.
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world,
but the spirit which is of God;

that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
Which things also we speak,
not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth,
but which the Holy Ghost teacheth;
comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:
for they are foolishness unto him:
neither can he know them,
because they are spiritually discerned.'
(1Cor. 2:11-14)

Active
Actually, it's not. Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus a Jew who believed, as the others, that they were the promised seed of Abraham. Jesus is correcting this erroneous thinking. Abraham's birth as the physical seed of Abraham was not sufficient to gain him access to the Kingdom. He had to be born again, He needed a second birth. A birth of both water and Spirit. The Granville-Sharp rule tells us that both the water and the spirit here are both connected to the same birth. They are not two different births. This is no different than what we find with Paul.

4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, 5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Tt 3:4–5.

How did they enter the Kingdom? The bath of regeneration and renewing of the Spirit. It's just like Jesus said, water and spirit.

Contrary to what many Christians believe, the phrase "born again" applies to the Jews. It's not talking about a second birth, a birth of the Spirit. Here are the three places this phrase appears.

John 3:3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 3:7
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 Peter 1:23
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Jn 3:3–1 Pe 1:23.

Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus, a Jew. Peter was addressing the Jews scattered in the Diaspora.

When speaking of Gentiles we find the phrase, "born of God"

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1 John 4:7
7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1 John 5:1
Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

1 John 5:4
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

1 John 5:18
18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), 1 Jn 3:9–5:18.

Why is the phrase born again used of the Jews? Because they had previously been God's son.

. 22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn: 23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Ex 4:21–23.

Jesus was telling Nicodemus that this birth in Exodus was not sufficient to gain him access into the Kingdom of God. he would need another birth, a birth of water and Spirit.

Titus 3:5
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;"

The "washing of regeneration" is the regening of the believer in the cleansing process by the Blood of the Lamb.

The Blood is what washes away sin, with water being the symbol of that washing.