• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

The 24 elders

Loyal
I don't know the answer to this question (I'm not sure any of us really do)
But I am curious as to the opinions of others here.

Who are the 24 elders mentioned in Rev 4:4; Rev 4:10; Rev 11:16; and Rev 19:4;

I assume these are the same elders mentioned in Rev 5:5-14; Rev 7:11-13; etc...

Some say the apostles, I suppose this is possible, but 24 apostles aren't mentioned in the Bible.
Also since John himself (the writer of Revelation) was an apostle, it seems unlikely he would be
talking to himself, also unlikely he wouldn't recognize the other apostles.

... anyway, I was just curious what some of the answers here might be.

Loyal
Another question. Not really related to the first question.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but again I am interested to hear other thoughts on this.

Who is the "Alpha and Omega" in Rev 1:8;

Rev 1:8; "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

Yes it says "Lord God" here, but from a trinitarian point of view, which part of God?

Is this the same person as in Rev 4:8; ?

Loyal

Some say the apostles, I suppose this is possible, but 24 apostles aren't mentioned in the Bible.
Also since John himself (the writer of Revelation) was an apostle, it seems unlikely he would be

The Apostles, yes, would be 12 and the tribes of Israel would be the other 12, no? Of course the reason why God has used 12 when He has and 24 when He has is deeper than that. As we are drawn closer to God as we continue to surrender to Him allowing ourselves to be led by Him, when we read certain things in scripture, a brighter Light will be seen. This is moving away from seeing through a "glass darkly" and toward seeing "face to face". Look also for the 144,000 and/or the 288,000 in the Old Testament and see how those numbers were used there. God has always a very good reason for what He does. Your also certainly your question relates to the hidden manna of Rev 2:17.

When is it that we receive "eyes to see" and "ears to hear"? It is certainly not at the time of our natural birth. When we do begin to see and hear spiritually, is that not simply a process of growth. What is significant about our 12th birthday? What of our 24th birthday?

Don't ask me to amplify too much as I am not certain that I can, but God certainly can.

What an interesting question! The twelve could also be the 12 judges that were over Israel in the O/T and the twelve apostles of the N/T. There is also scripture in Zechariah 3 that may indicate that Joshua may also be among those called to this position. Zechariah 3:6-7.

Another question. Not really related to the first question.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but again I am interested to hear other thoughts on this.

Who is the "Alpha and Omega" in Rev 1:8;

Rev 1:8; "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

Yes it says "Lord God" here, but from a trinitarian point of view, which part of God?

Is this the same person as in Rev 4:8; ?

Jesus.... he is and was and is coming again :)

Bless ya!

Loyal

they are from the church that got raptured is what I recently read on a book about revelations, not saying I agree but thought you might find it interesting anyways. Pentecostal preacher wrote the Book

The Rev. reveals that the twelve names of the Tribes of Israel are written on the gates:
12 Elders of the OC :
  • Judah means “Now I will praise YHVH.” (Gen 29:35)
  • Reuben means “Surely YHVH has looked upon my affliction.” (Gen 29:32)
  • Gad means “What good fortune.” (Gen 30:11)
  • Asher means “Happy am I.” (Gen 30:13)
  • Naphtali means With great wrestlings have I wrestled.” (Gen 30:8)
  • Manasseh means “For Elohim [said he], ‘has made me foreget all my toil.’” (Gen 41:51)
  • Simeon means “ Because YHVH has heard that I was hated.” (Gen 29:33)
  • Levi means “ Now this time will my husband be joined to me.” (Gen 29:34)
  • Issachar means “Elohim has given me my wages.” (Gen 30:18)
  • Zebulon means “Elohim has endowed me with a good gift, now my husband will dwell with me.” (Gen 30:20)
  • Joseph means “YHVH shall add to me.” (Gen 30:24)
  • Benjamin means “You shall have this son. (Gen 35:17–18)
The New Jerusalem Rev.21:11-13
…11shining with the glory of God. Its radiance was like a most precious jewel, like a jasper stone, clear as crystal. 12The city had a great and high wall with twelve gates inscribed with the names of the twelve tribes of Israel, and twelve angels at
the gates. 13There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south, and three on the west.…
And of course the 12 apostles.
Rev.21: 14
14The wall of the city had twelve foundations bearing the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
:love: